J-Custom RG8570Z Review

9.1
 9.1
review (1) pictures (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
J-Custom RG8570Z Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2011

Features: Ibanez J-Custom RG8570Z Red-Spinel HSH J-Custom case included 5pc Maple/Walnut RG J-Custom Neck with KTS Titanium Reinforcement AAA Flamed Maple and African Mahogany back body Rosewood fingerboard with flamed maple fingerboard Edge Zero trem Dimarzio Air Norton - True Velvet - Tone Zone // 9

Sound: To put things in perspective, I only played 90's RG760 with HSS so this is a step in a new direction for me. I am not trying to point out trivial things but for me the devil is the details. This guitar can get you any sound you want from Jazz to Shred and Metal. I am using JSX head/cabs and Lexicon MX200. Love the Bridge pup but the neck pup needs some adjustment to get the kind of tone I need ( Petrucci / Vai / Satch )- I am used to HSS and this is guitar is HSH. Since I only had it for 3 days, I still need to fully grasp the fine nuances of this guitar's pups. The volume and tone pots seem to need a little too much turn to have them fully on or off than my old RG760 - not a big issue but if you want to avoid noises / feedback quickly when playing, it's not ideal for rapidly going back and forth to 10 and 0. The volume pot is not very gradual ( i.e. 0 to 2 is a huge difference instead of slowly blending in )so trying to adjust your distortion / volume levels when playing needs a little bit more attention than I am used to. The neck feels a little thicker than the usual Prestige 17/19 mm - 43/58mm. I measured it and it's slighly larger than the specs but nothing more than 1/2mm. I still have to get use to it as I played the 760 for over 20 years... Setting up the action is very easy and you can adjust it to almost any level you would want, that is a big plus. This guitar is very well crafted so you can set-up the action ridiculously low. The Tree of Life inlays takes some time to get used to but looks stunning. The Edge Zero Trem is ok. I removed the Zero Point bar to have it fully floating. It's the only way to get flutters on this trem. It's also much more stiff than the Licenced Floyd Rose Trems of the late 80's early 90s. It stays in tune- no problem. The thumbweel adjustment in the back is great - no more screwdrivers! The toolkit supplied is great ( not high quality ) with everything you need. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up to Ibanez factory standard. I had to set-it up to my liking, which is normal, everyone's feel for a guitar is different so do not expect Ibanez to have it perfect for you. But as mentioned above, it's very easy to set-up. Same with the pick ups, factory Standard - I tweaked them to my liking. The craftmanship on this guitar is amazing. Everything is very very very well made. No flaws and the finish is stunning. It's the most beautiful guitar I ever seen. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand the live playing - no problem. Seems like everything will last 20 + years. My only issue is that they should make these J-Customs with the OFR instead of the Edge Zero and offer different choices of inlays for this kind of price. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from Satch/Vai/Petrucci/SRV to Maiden/Testament/Megadeth and various others. This guitar can handle all of the above styles. I've been playing for 20 some years and I own Rg760's. Comparing the J-Custom to the 760's of the 89-91 era, I'd say they are pretty close. The neck on the 760s are thinner and faster but the J-Custom fretwork is also very good. I guess it's more about getting used to a new neck than one being better than the other. I hope my review helps other musicians know a little bit more about the J-Custom - great guitar! // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014