JS100 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/28/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: JS100
It features a lighter weight basswood body that contours to your hip and is more confortable to hold especially for longer periods of time. Basswood is a lightweight wood that has a good balance between low, middle, and high tones.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.1
 7.2
reviews (13) pictures (6) 28 comments vote for this gear:
JS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2011

Purchased from: Rimmers Music leyland

Features: The JS100. Where to start? Well I'll just start from the beginning(the really obvious stuff) and work through to the really analytical stuff(the things non-musicians won't realize). This guitar has 22 frets on it's bolt-on neck, and features an edge-pro tremolo system(a floyd rose-like series of bolts, bars, screws and knobs that helps to keep the strings in tune and it particularly useful when using a whammy bar). It has DiMarzio double-coil pickups for both it's treble and rhythm setting, and in total has two pickups: one for lead and one for rhythm, and the middle position of the Switch turns both on. Now this guitar is incredibly well-made in my opinion, and it's versatile Nature pushes it into a class of it's own. I've played a steve Vai signature before and it felt worse and sounded worse than this. And this guitar is new, not used. Same with the SV signature. The only drawback with the features it there's only one volume dial and one tone dial, so 'kill-switching' is impossible. But it has one feature that more than makes up for it. By pulling the tone dial up and pushing it down, you can Switch between using single or double coils in the pickups, making this sound like a Stratocaster without the Stratocaster drawbacks, or simply a fantastically clean sounding instrument. // 9

Sound: This is simply the highest quality guitar that I have played. Even though I've put it through unbelievable levels of overdrive through marshalls, Line 6's and currently a Bogner stack, it's a crystal clear as distilled water. Don't get me wrong, the pickups channel the gain like lightning rods, so pinched harmonics and all the high end tricks are all possible, maybe even boosted, but it always sounds clear. You hit a note with full distortion and you'll always hear the note, not just the distortion as a noise. You can even get satriani's signature 'satch squeal' from this guitar. Believe me I've tried and somehow succeeded. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: At the factory I think that the action was set slightly too high, or it may have been done accidentally when the first set of srtings were put onto it. I took it to a guitar tech because I wanted titanium coated strings on it and he fixed the action so now it's perfect. I can't vouch for all of the guiatrs, but mine was easily fixed despite the minor problem. Mine is finished in completely black and has eroded at about the same rate a granite boulder does when faced with a water pistol. It simply hasn't faded, blanched, peeled or paled. Aesthetically it's a beautiful guitar, and it's never embarrassing to play, as it somehow looks both old and new at the same time; like a Jimi Hendrix reissue, same old grain and fuzz, but it's sharp and crisp and somehow better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played it through stacks and combos at live volume, given it fierce treatment with my legato/hybrid picking/complicated chords-based playing style. It has never faltered once; not a half-hidden judder, quack or squelch. Any squealing you hear from it is just the pickups doing there job, after you start playing you'll realize this. Hit a harmonic and then tell me you don't get a shiver and I'll be very suspicious. // 9

Overall Impression: I play pretty much most styles, but my focus is classic rock, with some blues, metal and jazz mixed in for good measure. This guitar is simply unbeatable for this. I used to own a Zakk wylde Les Paul and this gets better squeals; I've played custom shop les pauls that sound less emotional either dirty or clean. Simply put, this guitar utterly embarrasses guitars with an extra digit on their price tags. This is simply my opinion however, so I urge you to play the guitar to see for yourself, but this is the guitar for me. Very little comes close save the updated versions of itself. // 10

JS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2004

Features: This guitar has a durable maple neck material and a buitiful basswood body. It has 22 frets and on the 21st fret it reads "Joe Satriani" (so cool). It has an awesome floyd rose tremelo for crazy dive bombs and such which is probobly the best feature about this guitar. The guitar has locking tuners as should be in any floating tremelo guitar. Amazing features. // 10

Sound: I play classic rock as well as many of Satriani's songs and it sounds so good on my Marshall MG30DFX with Zakk Wylde distortion pedal and occasionally a Cry Baby Wah-Wah pedal. With the floating tremelo it makes amazing sounds and has the best tone I have ever heard. If you were planing on buying a JS1000-JS2000 do not waste your money this guitar sounds exactly the same if you replace the Ibanez pickups with DiMarzios (which I highly recomened). Frankly, this guitar has amazing sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar brand new and I had to adjust the action only a tiny, tiny bit. The guitar sounds great with the origional Ibenez pickups but sounds even better with DiMarzios. Absolutly no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has an amazing finish and it can defineltly withstand live playing. If you play thrash metal or some heavy stuff like that you could fry your pickups with your sweat, though but I don't play thrash so its perfect for me. I would go to a gig with this guitar and be absolutly positive I wouldn't need to change guitars. Awesome for gigs. Just not for sweaty people. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, Vai, Satriani, and some blues and have been playing guitar for four years and this is by far the best guitar I have played, and I've played Les Pauls, and PRS's, and this guitar still towers above the rest. The only guitar that is better from the get-go is the Ibanez Jem but the sound will be the same with Dimarzios. If this guitar was stolen simply put, I would kill myself, a peice of me would be gone. If I could wish for anything extra I would have to say an extra pickup, it wouls be nice, but definently not essential. My favorite feature is the floating tremelo and whammy. This is the greatest guitar I have ever played. // 10

JS100 Reviewed by: theMARSvolta5, on august 29, 2005

Features: The JS100 if you don't already know, is the signature guitar of the legendary shredder Joe Satriani. You will know when you see the "Joe Satriani" inlay on the 21st fret of the guitars 22 frets. The best feature of this guitar is the floating tremelo which will provide you with divebombs that Satriani himself would approve. The guitar uses stock Ibanez pickups witch sound great. There are locking tuners as all tremelo guiars should have. This guitar has a mahigany neck that is very fast and will be acceptable to any style of music (the neck works best for shread). // 10

Sound: I play classic rock mostly some metal and shread and this guitar pulls all of these syles off and all of them sound great. I use this guitar with a Marshall MG50DFX with an occasional wah-wah pedal or overdrive distortion pedal thrown in, and it sounds great. This is honestly the best sounding guitar I have ever used. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have a transparent red JS and the finish is beautiful, you can see the wood throgh the varnish (hence the "transparent" name" and it is a great shade of red (the guitar also comes in black, white etc). I had to adjust the action a little but, but that was all the adjustment I needed to get this guitar going. The guitar was flawless when I opened it and it remains flawless when I pick it up to play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar on a stage and I have seen Joe Satriani do it many times and it looks like it withstands very well (it did when I played it live) I am completly sure this guitar wouldnt flake onstage and I would be confidant to go on without a backup. I have had the guitar for close to 2 years now and the finish isn't wearing away at all. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4 years and I think I have found the best guitar I have ever played for a VERY good price, The JS100. If you were planing on getting the higher model JS's (1500 & 2000) I wouldn't advise you to because the JS100 is the same as those guitars with very slight modifications and the JS is alot cheaper and still sounds great. There is nothing I hate about this guitar and if it were stolen, I would by another for sure becuase I can honestly say this is the best guitar for my style of play and it is definently worth your attention. // 10

JS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2006

Features: A 2004 Korean made js 100 with 22 jumbo frets, maple neck with rosewood finger board, solid basswood body, transparent black finish and a small scale Strat type body. It has a Edge-Pro 2 trem that allows fairly stable tuning and has a 3-way tone selector with tone and volume switches and coil taps. Has 2 Ibanez stock humbuckers that are dreadful and has locking tuners. // 8

Sound: Generally very average, however it produces nice clean tones with the coil taps. I have a fairly small Fender Frontman amp and use a Boss BF-3 Flanger and a Boss DD-3 delay. It is quite a noisy guitar and lacks any kind of punch and has more of a Strat vibe, however it can produce some cool whammy sounds at high gain settings. I suggest if you keep the guitar definitely buy better pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Very poor set up however the trem as you will find is extremely stiff. It is increddibly hard to depress and the action was shocking. Pickups were fine and finish and bridge were outstanding. Thin paint job so take care when handling it, however I feel the guitar has a (a bit too) fragile feel. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Always, always, always have a backup guitar. It probably a guitar with a lot of things to go wrong with and it again, feels very fragile. I would not buy this guitar if your a heavy metaler. Finish is a bit to weak on the red, one go for the black one. That finish is very cool. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a very varied player I can shred, I play finger style jazz, heavy rock, metal, classical and this guitar is a wide guitar tonality wise, but it's basically a cheaper version of the JS1000. I have been playing guitar for twelve years and this is a guitar for a enthusiastic beginner. I have to say I am selling mine and purchasing the JS1000 because that really does rock, however if the guitar was stolen I would buy a JS1000. I was deeply annoyed with the edge pro 2 and the weak pickups and for a guitar in a signiture series, I bleive quality on the JS100 could be a lot better. I suggest for any experienced player buy the JS1000 instead simply because of the fact that the JS100 is basically a fairly good copy of a better guitar and the JS1000 is miles better. // 8

JS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2004

Features: This guitar was made in Korea. Although not necessarily the best placed to make a guitar, it's still decent. The neck is a Joe Satriani signaure neck with 22 frets. It is made of maple and carries medium size frets, which is great for fast action neck playing. The finish is a black gloss. The body style is Joe Satriani's custom designed body. It is a combo of the RG and the S. This is not as thin as the S series, nor is it as thick as the RG. The bridge is Ibanez's exclusive Edge Pro II bridge. The pickups are stock Ibanez active humbucking pickups. I highly recommend purchasing DiMarzio pickups to replace the Ibanez stock. Included on the guitar is a volume knob, tone knob, and a 3-way tone selector. The tuning and tuners on the guitar are double-locking and are Ibanez tuners. When you purchase the guitar, you get 3 different size allen wrenches, a guitar cable, and a pop-in tremolo bar. // 8

Sound: It fits my music style exactly, as a I play lots of guitar virtuoso (Satriani's type of music), hard rock, and some punk. I currently use a Marshall amp and use Boss distortion, octave, and wah. The guitar does produce some fuzz and feedback, but that is usually on overdrive/distortion. I use the DiMarzio pickups which give a very rich and solid sound. Using Ibanez's pickups produce a hollow and weak sound. These are from a amp setting of middle on an 8 and bass and treble on a 5. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup extrodinary well. The only problem I have with such a guitar is the pop-in tremolo. Unlike the JS1000, JS1200, and JS2000, this guitar does not include a screw in tremolo. This is not a matter that should affect your decision in purchasing this guitar. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, but they had to be retightened into the body of the guitar. The electronics were properly and neatly routed, which proved a sigh of relief for me when I rerouted my DiMarzio pickups in it. I returned the previous JS100 before I recevied this one because it was not tonated properly, the bridge was not parallel with the body of the guitar, and it had a dent, but this is the fault of Music123. My current one is absolutely flawless. It even came full tuned and it was tonated properly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is amazing. I have only played this guitar in one school band performance, and it withstood. The hardware seems very durable, and it produces an image that this guitar will last me at least 5-6 years. Although if you're a heavy punk rocker or a person prone to excessive sweating, you might want to stay away from this guitar. There are huge gaps between the humbuckers and the humbucker cover (roughly. 20") and if your sweat was to ever enter through the holes, your humbuckers would fry extra crispy. I defineatly could depend on it, but my style is never to go to a gig without a backup guitar. I retightened all screws necessary, so I would advise you to do the same. The finish of the guitar is weak. If you were to accidentally scrape the guitar on a desk, a huge paint chip would come off. I got mine repainted by a professional, so it has the finish durabilty of a Fender Strat, yet it has the Shine and gloss of the JS100's original colors. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for almost a year and I am into hard rock (AC/DC, Metallica, etc.) and guitar virtuoso (Joe Satraini, Steve Vai, Jason Becker, etc.) This guitar definetaly suits my taste. I also own a Fender Strat, 3 Boss effects pedal, one Marshall amp, one Crate amp, and one Crate amp head. I always wonder why this guitar was made in Korea, because this guitar is just as good as the JS1000 aside the Presitge neck, Edge Pro bridge, and DiMarzio humbuckers. Maybe that's why there's a $500 price difference between the two axes. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I'd defenietly get this guitar again, except the JS1000. I love the price of this guitar, but I really hate the Ibanez pickups and the pop-in tremolo. I would love to replace the bridge to an Edge Pro and the neck to a Prestige. // 8

JS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2005

Purchased from: sound control

Features: The features of this guitar are awesome. I play a lot of Steve Via and Satriani as well as anything from classic rock and blues to trash and death metal. It has a 22 fret neck which is plenty as the neck is so smooth you can quite easily bend far enough for a 24th fret pitch. The basswood body is fantastic for tone. You can get near enough any tone you could dream of providing you arent playing through an amp that will limit your sound. The basswood is also very light and the body is extremely well contoured for comfort. Easily the most ergonomic guitar I have every played. The bridge is the Ibanez Edge-Pro II which is fantastic. It functions as a floyd rose, but has slightly better tone in my opinion, sinks right into thed body withough sticking up at the tail as is the floyd rose, and you don't have to cut off the ball end of the strings. The only downside is that this bridge has a pop-in whammy bar rather than a screw in bit once you're used to this it really doesnt matter. The humbuckers should be replaced with the DiMarzio's if you want serious tone. But the Ibanez ones are great all the same. they have coil tap so you dont need that extra pickup from the Jem, as you can change these into single-coil quite easily. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style perfectly. It has the response to play jazz and blues, but due to the basswood body and pickups can quite easily be used for metal and very heavy music. The only thing I would say is you can play drop-D tuning, but dont tune the whole guitar down. Floyd rose style bridges are no good for low tunings. I have a PRS that I have tuned to B relative. But I still play this guitar more purely for the tone and playability. The bridge lets yo get very good tremelo sounds. A must for guitar vituoso. But like I said, I would recomend an upgrade to dimarzio pickups. For pure tone I would say use Fred on the bride and the Paf_Joe on the neck. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very very good on this guitar. Brilliant for playabilty and fretboard gymnastics. I changed the 9's for 10's, this raised the bridge slightly more than I would have liked but I chose to lower the action rather than tighten the springs and the tone was much better. Although the finish of this guitar is not very strong, it is still very beautifull. I keep thinking about having it sent off for a custom paint job but each time I look at it I can't bring myself to becuase it is pure style. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is awesome for live playing. It keeps in tune brilliantly. Better than other locking tremelo's as well. People have said don't use it if you play heavy stuff as your sweat will fry the pickups. But that's a load of s--t becuase I have played death metal gigs and I have shred all over the place and I still have yet to have a drop of sweat leave my hand and go down into the humbuckers. But if you sweat excesively, I suppiose it couldnt hurt to keep this in mind. The hardware is built like a tank and is very very strong. The strap buttons are very solid and seem to hold the strap better than most. I haven't had to buy strap locks for this guitar. I would trust this guitar with my life. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all this guitar is amazing. Once the pickups are changed it has the tone of one of the best guitarists to ever walk on the Earth. And becuase of the versitility can be used as an amazing guitar for any style. The body is very very ergonimic and also very sexy. My next guitar will be exactly the same. I want another one of these for a backup. I may possibly have the tremelo blocked and use this for low tunings. If you have any sense or taste at all buy this guitar! // 10

JS100 Reviewed by: WipeoutOnAPipe, on december 01, 2005

Sound: I play practically everything except country, and metal/shredding (which is what this guitar was made for). Alot of noise and feedback when using distortion. Lots of variety though. I'm using it with a Dean Markley amp and no effects besides those on the amp (plenty). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar doesn't seem to have been set-up very well. The pickups are very loose, The strap nuts are have fallen out completely and the screws used to hold them in have been stripped. The rosewood neck still plays great though, I cannot say anything bad about it. The finish is easily dented and scratched. Not bad for a first guitar I guess, but definitely low standards for a Joe Satriani signature guitar. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will not withstand live playing at all. The hardware does not seem like it will last. The strap buttons are completely stripped without much use at all. No you cannot depend on it and I wouldn't use it on a gig at all, ever! The finish seems like it will wear off with lots of playing. // 3

Overall Impression: This is not a good match for my music styles. I have been playing for 3+ years. I own an acoustic guitar by Johnson, a beautiful American Fender Stratocaster, and another Ibanez (blech). If it were stolen or lost I would be sad I hadn't sold it first. I hate almost everything about it besides the sound. I wish it had never been made. It's an ok guitar but not for a Joe Satriani edition. // 5

JS100 Reviewed by: Nemesis_brood, on july 21, 2006

Purchased from: Galaxy music

Features: Ok first of all I got this guitar for cheap because it has a large scratch on the back of it. But like anyone is looking at the back while your playing! Ok anyway, this guitar is made out of lightweight basswood so you can stand to keep it around your shoulders for an hour or so. A floyd rose locking tremlo system to keep it in tune for a long ass time. 3-way pickup switch. 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob. M.O.P dot inlays. Dual humbuckers. Very clean looking guitar. // 9

Sound: Ok let me tell you right now, the original pickups don't pull out that much distortion, but scince I got mine for cheap I put in a ultra distortion bridge humbucker. With the original humbuckers it is a little static with the volume turned all the way up, but it suprisingly isn't that annoying. I am using a Peavey Blazer 158 amp and it is very good for '70s style rock and punkrock. I can't quite get a metal distortion your going to need a really good pedal or amp to do that. Very good clean playing to. Great for fast solo's scince its a Joe Satriani guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem I could find with the finish is that the neck original humbucker isn't positioned very good. Other than that no problems. Very fast paced neck, a paint job that seems that it will last a while, and super easy to play standing up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can easily stand live playing. The frets do seem to wear out quick, but this is probebly because I do a lot of bends in solos. The top strap button seems like it would break off, but it's still on there. I can depend on it because it will never go out of tune in one night. The finish is thick and probebly won't wear off for quite a while. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a few years and I can say this is a good guitar for anything. If it were stolen or lost I would be so sad! I would never find one as cheap as mine! I would probebly get an Ibanez NDM to replace it. Very easy to play no real complaints there. This guitar seems like a cheap Gibson. Not quite as good but it still has a lot of potential. If you like Ibanez guitars I suggest this one! Just be sure to put a better distortion humbucker in it. // 9

JS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2007

Purchased from: mansons

Features: The Ibanez JS guitar is made in china. It has a very smalll unique body, easy to handle and well balanced. The body of this guitar has been snaded off around the side. it has 22 frets. It has a very thin neck but very fast and easy to handle. It also does have a curved fretbord unlike most Ibanez guitars. The paint job on the guitar is a thin red. Most people think it is weak but I like it because you can still see the wood underneath. This guitar has a balanced floyd rose bridge which can be a bit of a fidle. It comes with a coil tap pickup which is kinda weak in ways but it does give out good clean sounds. This guitar comes with locking nuts and is really useful when doing dive bombs. // 9

Sound: This guitar is very versatile since it has coil tap and whammy bar and a floydrose. I use it through a Line 6 and a Orange head running through a Marshall cab. this guitar does sound great though It is not a crazy metal guitar. It has a very thin sound so great for clean. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I find that the action on Ibanez guitars change a lot to the environment they are in. but when I got it it worked perfectly with no fret buzz. The action is low but not super low compared to most ibanezes. The bridge on this guitar can be really annoying if it is not adjusted properly. Over all this guitar has been set up extreamly well but it is wise to get it checked up every 6 months. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar canhandle Live playing aslong as it is not bashed around or one of your band members running into you. The hardware will withstand as long as you take off the sweat after or that shredding. If you give it respect it will work like a dream. The strap buttons might look like the y will come off but they wont, some people are just sooo fussy. The finsh is thin but I think it looks awesome and none of it's paint has come off. I would take a backup guitar if you had this guitar. It's not that's it's unreliable it's just that soo many things can go wrong. // 6

Overall Impression: I play all sorts and this guitar can handle all. I will be honest if you are a metal player I would not recomend you buying a guitar like this. I also own a eppihphone Les Paul Custom which I use for thick sounds and heavy palm muttting. I do think that the modle up from this is worth it. If it was stoloen I would proberbly buy the model up from this. I love the neck on this guitar it is really fast and easy to play. I hate the the whammy bar on this thing it seems to stiff. I played a lot of ibanezes but I got this one because it has a rounder neck compared to other Ibanezes. // 8

JS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2008

Features: This guitar has a basswood body with transparent top. The maple neck has 22 frets. The Floyd Rose locking tremolo practically never gets out of tune. This guitar has 2 passive Ibanez humbuckers that respond really well for stock pickups. There's a volume and a tone control, 3-way pickup selector. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of metal (quo vadis, Dragonforce, Metallica, dimmu borgir, etc.) and it sounds really great. I use a DigiTech RP200 pedal and a Crate GT65 amplifier; I don't really like that amp and I'm looking for probably a Mesa but with the RP200 I achieved to get a nice distortion. It's not noisy at all when you got a gate threshold on your pedal. It sound really good on clean tones too. I'm gonna purchase a bridge pickup for greatest distortion though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Really well made, action was very good, pickups adjustements are well done, the touch is really low and easy to play. The guitar didn't contain any flaws like misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector or loos controls. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think it would be a good Live guitar but with other pickups; there a little cheap for a signature model. Seems like a solid durable guitar. The strap buttons are really solid. I think anybody playing in a band should always have a backup guitar but I would use this one on a gig without a backup no questions. the finish is really solid and good to last long. // 9

Overall Impression: It's good for every style of music. I god a Fernandes Monterey too and I prefer my Ibanez cause it never gets out of tune and is easier to play when you go metal style. If it was stolen I would probably get the S2170FW (Herman Li's guitar from Dragonforce) and even if it's not stolen I will buy that awesome guitar this year. I love the neck and the fact that it's a really light weight guitar. I don't hate anything about this guitar, I think it's a great guitar for everyone, but I think it should be a little cheaper like 650$ would be good. I tried some Gibson Les Paul Studio, some Fender Strat and for the price, sound and neck feeling the Ibanez is really worth it. // 9

JS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 13, 2008

Purchased from: Peterborough Music

Features: I bought my JS100 second hand for 400, bargain.Made I Korea 2004. It has medium sized frets. A Solid white finsh which is absolutely beautiful and looks like it wont wear for another 10 years. It has a basswood body so it is very light and you could stand and play this for hours and shoulders will still be fine. It has an Ibanez Edge II floating tremelo Floyd Rose style bridge. It is perfect to play on if your playing such music as Machine Head, oantera, Lamb Of God. It has has thin neck perfect for shredding like mr. satriana himself. Locking tuners make divebomb easier and wont go out of tune, whiuch is always a good thing. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my music style perfectly. Fast picking technical stuff wiht lots of solos. The pickups will probably need upgrading if you will be using lots of distortion as the Standard pickups don't hold all that much. I'm currently using a Fender amp and a Marshall Jackhammer Distortion/Overdrive pedal. Although I am using a rubbish amp the guitar tunes are very nice. When clean put on the neck pickup and you will get very nice sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I got it secondhand I don't know what the factory set up was like. But the finsih was flawlles part from a tiny chip on the bottom at the back, about 3mmx3mm. I haven't had to do anything to this guitar apart the odd spring tension when changing strings from 9s to 12s but that's normal for Floyd Roses. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would stand gigging. Its body seems durable, and would stand a few dents and dings while headbanging and palying. I take a backup if gigging with this but very unlikely I would. I've had this for over a year now and the finish hasn't worn a bit so it would definatley last 30 minutes in a room playing to an audience. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar suits the style of music I play, thin neck fro quick playin, meium sized frets for shredding, tremelo bridsge for divebombs. What more could you ask for? If I went back to when I bought it I probably would have asked how much was it to upgrade the pickups to DiMarzio. If stolen I would probably cry and then buy the JS1000 or a Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee. Only they are awesome guitar an have better pickups. I love this guitar so much, it's probably one of the best guitar in its price range in my opinion. I wish it had the Fred And Paf Pro pickups though. Then it would be the best guitar in it's type, in it's price range of about 500. // 10

JS100 Reviewed by: aradine, on january 09, 2009

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Friend

Features: I'm not sure of the year or country this guitar was made in, as I bought it second hand. It has a Basswood body with a 1 piece JS neck (according to Ibanez website... ), and a rosewood fingerboard. apparently it also has the Edge III tremolo in it but I highly doubt that in this particular guitar, as the previous owner absolutely despised them. the best part about this particular model is that it only came with one of the stock pickups, the previous owner had changed the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon. 3 way selector with the tone knob can be pulled out for coil tap. it came with a molded Ibanez case as part of the deal. // 9

Sound: I run this through a Vox Tonelab LE with a Satchurator and Vox 847 Wah in the effects loop. It sounds absolutely amazing through the preset I use most of the time (a customized version of the Erupt preset). and the Screaming Demon pickup just adds to the sound. I like to play a variety of things from Jazz to Death Metal and I swear this guitar can do it all and then some. unfortunately the original neck pickup isn't on the same par as the bridge pickup, and I would have swapped it had I had the money. But saying that it is still an excellent guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Because the guitar was preowned, it was set up incredibly well. there where no flaws on the guitar what'soever. It came with 9's and I was going to swap it to D'Addario 10's (as are on all my guitars except my acoustic which is D'Addario 11's), but I would need the guitar set up for 10's which would cost nearly $100 which I reckon is way to much for a set-up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definatly survive Live play, and I plan to use it as my main stage guitar. The hardware seems like it will last a long time. The strap buttons seem pretty solid but sometime down the track (like when I have money) I will install straplocks on. I definatly plan on babying this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I like to play everything, and I reckon this guitar can do it all. this is definatly a big step up from my other gear (an RG321MH which I sold to help fund this guitar), and a J & D Luthiers Les Paul (which I paid less than $500 for both). I wish though I had asked for the appropriated allen key when I bought it as I don't own one that fits the locking tuners so I couldn't tune it when I got the guitar. if it where lost or stolen I would hunt the guy Who took it down and beat the shit out of HIM then take my baby home. definatly the best feature of the guitar is the Screaming Demon pickup (which is my first aftermarket pickup). my overall rating is a 9 as I really didn't want a Edge III trem (assuming it is one) but I can Live with it so long as it can stand up to a bit of use. // 9

JS100 Reviewed by: Skullivan, on february 28, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in 1995 at the Cort factory in Korea. The 22 rosewood fingerboard has a nice radius to it to where it feels more like a Strat than a typical Ibanez "shred" guitar, medium frets allow for comfortable stretching while still keeping that natural hand position. Maple neck is comfortable. Has a basswood body, not the best wood I've tried, but does maintain a good even tone, not as strong as my mahogany Ibby, but good nonetheless. The very sleek superstrat shape is very difficult to play sitting down as it constantly slides off my leg. However I almost always play it standing up and there is no problem there, the strap buttons are very sturdy which has never been a problem with me and Ibanez. The black finish is, eh, okay. I haven't utilized the Lo TRS II trem yet since I don't have the trem arm, but it seems to stay in tune after some manual movement of the trem. Guitar uses a push/pull coil tap in the tone knob for single coil adaption. // 7

Sound: First, the pickups. Running through my Peavey Vypyr 75, the cleans on this are great. As a humbucker, the neck definitely maintains its low end, but kind of cuts the highs, I like for a neck pup to have some versatility, so this is a down. But with the coil tap engaged it produces very smooth cleans, not as bright as traditional single coils, but still a smooth jazzy sound. The bridge sounds similar to the neck, but just a little bit brighter. Both pickups definitely lack output so that is a major flaw for me. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is very good, can't find too comfortable of a slightly buzzing low setup, but the action is still very good, has that "shred" feel for a legato sound. Really no problems here. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I play this guitar mainly as a live backup for my Ibanez S670. So it doesn't see the light of day that much. As mentioned before the strap buttons are solid, hardware seems fine, not much oxidization for a 17 year old guitar. The guitar does seem weak though. Very light seems like it is very fragile. // 8

Overall Impression: I give this guitar a 7.5/10 because it catches that legato feel in Satch's music which is what the guitar was made for. I've been playing for three years and this is actually one of the better guitars that I have played in my "career." If it were lost I probably wouldn't get another since it isn't one of my "main" guitars. This guitar definitely shines through its coil tap, but that's probably its best feature. I wish it had a different wood than basswood, it just sounds so weak. Something not associated with the guitar's namesake. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014