JS1000 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: JS1000
Prestige Maple Neck. Basswood Body. 22/6105 Frets. Rosewood Fingerboard. Edge Pro bridge. Pearl Dot Inlay.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 Features: 9.4
 8.5
 9.2
 7.8
reviews (7) pictures (6) 11 comments vote for this gear:
JS1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 23, 2006

Features: This is made in Japan by Prestige Team J. Craft of Ibanez. It's got 22 frets on a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The body is basswood mainly for 2 reasons: basswood gives an excellent balance of highs and lows and basswood is a light material which is good when gigging and you dont get shoulder cramps. My guitar has the black pearl finish and looks really cool. It sometimes looks like gun metal gray depending on the light. The deep body cutaways make it very easy to reach those upper frets without hassle. The JS1000 comes with Ibanez's Edge Pro locking tremolo system which I think is better than the Original Floyd Rose which I had in a Kramer because with the Edge Pro, you dont have to cut the ball end of the string to put it in. The pick ups are hot! It's got DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and DiMarzio Fred in the bridge. Both are humbuckers. Tuners are Gotoh. All case candy included. // 10

Sound: My music style is pretty much a healthy mix of everything from children's songs and nursery rhymes to The Beatles to Hendrix to Yngwie Malmsteen to Eric Johnson to Kirk Hammett. As in everything. And the crazy part of it all is that this guitar allows me tones and textures that will fit any kind of stuff I wish to play at that moment. My equipment consists of a Marshall MG100DFX, Peavey Audition 110, Dunlop Cry Baby wah pedal, DOD Super American Metal, Zoom 505II, original Dallas Arbiter Fuzz, original Univibe pedal, Boss Digital Delay Stereo, and a DigiTech Whammy Pedal. The push-pull features of the volume and tone pots and 3-way Switch enables me to sculpt sounds and textures for any kind of music depsite the dual humbucker pickup configuration. There is absolutely no noise with the pickups. The sound is rich and deep and bright all at the same time. With the effects gunned up for a scorching solo, swelling the volume from zero to full brings about a sweet unstoppable onslaught of ever increasing feedback intensity! The guitar is capable of making sounds that would put a baby to sleep as well as waking up the demons inside of us all. It can produce a wail like a sreaming banshee mourning the death of a mate or sing like a newly hatched robin from the egg. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was actually 1 of 2 in the store that I picked up and this had the better set-up of the 2. The factory in Japan did the set-up and I must say they did a pretty damn fine job at it. The action is low, intonation perfect, and the tremolo springs have just the right amount of tension. I own a standard Fender American Stratocaster and comparing the JS1000 to the Strat, I must say that this actually feels better in my hand. I don't have long fingers and my hand is actually quite small so after playing the JS1000 then switching to the Strat, the Strat's neck felt like I was holding a baseball bat. Not that the Strat had fault, but the multi-radius neck of the Satch just suits my hand's anatomy better. It is finished in Black Pearl which is amazing! The guitar has no flaws nor scratches, nor blemishes, no nothing. Just a smooth perfect glossy finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have been playing professionally for over 10 years in the studio as well as concerts. This guitar will definitely handle anything as proof from no other than Joe Satriani himself (G3 Tours). The hardware is finished in a dark, smoky kind of chrome finish which is unique and beautiful. Strap buttons are solid as are the hardware. Of course we are talking about a locking tremolo system here and no matter how wild I dive bomb with it, it never goes out of tune. The finish is extremely solid and would need a sander with heavy grit to take off. // 10

Overall Impression: With all the things I have described upon this guitar, this guitar is a gift from the "The Man." It has a perfect balance of highs and lows, excellent sustain, amazing pickups and sound, astounding feel and playability, and tons of stare appeal. As mentioned, I also own a 2 color sunburst Fender American Strat and a naturally finished 7 string Tung Bass guitar which I play through a Mesa Boogie rig. From simple nursery songs to all-out Malmsteen-type shredding, this guitar enables you to play to your heart's content. I love everything about this guitar and would definitely consider buying the same thing if for any reason I would lose this current guitar. The JS1000 provides you with an excellent platform to begin your musical journey and the only thing that would limit or stop that journey would be your willingness to take yout technique and music to the next level. // 10

JS1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 15, 2004

Features: Another fantastic guitar induced by the man himself, Mr Joe Satriani. 22 frets of pure gold. The edge pro bridge is spot on, great for pulling his signiture alien screams. It comes stock with a DiMarzio Paf-Pro HB for the neck and a DiMarzio Fred HB for the bridge. A 3-way pick up Switch, one tone knoba and one volume. The edge pro bridge gives it the locking nuts. This guitar is the easiest guitar to play, its lightweight, and the multi-radius prestige neck is the most comfortable I have ever used. Great for those super-fast shreds! This particualar model (the Burnt Transparant Blue) has a great finish, it looks fantastic! // 10

Sound: As the man himself, this guitar is all about tone baby! You can get many many different sounds from it, it sounds great! Can be used to play virtually any style, from blues to hardcore sweedish death thrash metal, it's all in there! Nothing I dislike about the sound! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is set up perfectly. The action is great for those fast solos, but is not too low for great rhythm playing. No flaws found yet! As explained before, the finish on this guitar is unique. Not one JS1000 BTB has the same finish. No problems here! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar wont stop. Hasnt let me down playing live once. The hardware is great, and will last for ages. The finish is burnt on, it will only come off if you attack it with a chainsaw (god forbid, it's a beautiful guitar). Strap buttons a bit wobbly, but thats no problema screwdriver cant fix for the night! You could depend on this guitar with your life. And as for using it for a gig with no back-up?? NEVER do a gig with no back-up! (unless it's another JS, of course). // 10

Overall Impression: I play every style, this guitar can match every style. There is NOTHING bad about this guitar, go and buy 9 of them! I loved everything about this guitar, and to add anything else to it would possibly spoil it. If it was stolen, I couldn't afford another! But I would track that b****rd down and remove his face! Go and buy this guitar, a MUST for Satch fans! // 10

JS1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2004

Purchased from: American Musical

Features: - 22 frets - Black, shiny body - Volume, tone and 3-way controls are silver - 2 humbuckers - Perfect cutaway with the most complex tremolo brige // 8

Sound: I love hardcore, rock, alternative and worship, and it nails all of them. I run it with a Peavy amp and Boss/DOD pedals. It has good natural noise reduction. Very Full sound, all 3 pickup settings are amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it at AMS, so no setting up was done, the action was crap, and the pickups were completely unadjusted. The guitar is made beautifully, but completely not set up. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will take what you throw at it. I have had it for 9 months and there is no sign of wear. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock, metal, alternative and Worship, the guitar is perfect. I have been using this one for 9 months, I use Boss/DOD/Peavy. I would have asked if it was set up! If I lost it, I would buy a new one, same one. // 8

JS1000 Reviewed by: justinlavin, on september 30, 2005

Sound: It suits my music style as best as any guitar could. Although for some songs I would rather have a SG or Strat, the Ibanez kind of fills the gap in between. One complaint would be that I can't get the tone I'm looking for because the lower notes pick up with too much bass for my liking and I can't adjust the pickups anymore to compensate. I use it with my Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal most of the time, although I have other more generic DigiTech pedals. The sound is very rich and full. The guitar can be used for most types of music as it being a well rounded middle grade guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It's setup is standard from the factory although if you don't want tremelo, you can deactivate it with a trick and then the guitar stays more in tune and is easier to adjust. This lessens the need for the fine tuners and fixed bridge. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Very solid, although I've had it for a year and only managed one scratch (minor). If you baby this guitar it will last forever. But you can abuse it a little and it sounds awesome too. I would always bring a backup although I rarely ever break any strings on it, so it could be used by itself. // 10

Overall Impression: Love it. For the time being wouldn't play anything else. I would buy it again and again. Try one and see! // 9

JS1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 28, 2007

Purchased from: Windows Music, Newcastle

Sound: Amazing, I play a lot of different styles, but seem to center over bands like Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin etc, but in 4 years of owning this guitar I'm yet to find a style it can't cope with. I play through a Marshall AVT150 Head with the angled 4 x 12 cab and with the overdrive channel (especially OD2 with the scoop) I get a very aggressive metal tone idea for Petrucci style riffs, but flick it to clean (or even better the acoustic sim channel if you have it) and coil tap the neck pickup, and you get one of the sweetest clean sounds from an electric in my opinion, including piezo loaded guitars. No complaints. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had been in the shop on the wall since it was shipped until I bought it and it didn't look like the action had been set up at all, it was very high, but nothing a few minutes with an allen key couldnt fix. Other than that everything else was perfect, everything attached solid, the trem was set up perfect, intonation was spot on. Marked down 1 just for the high action. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar many times live without a backup (mainly because I don't own another guitar anymore) and it's never had a problem. Obviously if you go crazy on the trem you run the risk of snapping strings, but this seems to take a bit more trem punishment than the Jem7BFP I had before. The hardware is solid enough, but the cosmo finish rubs off over time, but doesn't effect the playability. One of the allen screws which hold the intonation blocks in place rounded and the block slipped forward so now the intonation on the B String is slightly out and the screw needs drilling out, but this is the only problem I've had in 4 years of daily playing. The finish is pretty solid, the case slammed shut on the guitar one time leaving only a tiny crack in the laquer which didn't even reach to the wood and a few times when the trem arm has ended up on top of the guitar during transport has left only tiny dings which can't be seen unless the light hits them just right. // 8

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play this guitar is perfect, it's heavy enough to play Dream Theater and Sonata Arctica styles, yet cleans up perfectly. The coil tap allows for some awesome Hendrix style tones at the pull of a button. This guitar in the right hands can practically talk, it is an amazing bit of kit, as Satch himself demonstrates. I've played guitar for just over 7 years and I've owned an Ibanez Jem7 BFP, my dad used to have an 02 Gibson Les Paul Standard which I played also but this is definately my favourite, it's more comfortable to play and I find it's a much more versatile guitar than the Gibson and the Jem (I'm sure Jem fans especially will argue that point; P) if it was stolen, I'd get another in a heartbeat. The only problem with having this guitar is I can't find anything to beat it, I'm actually looking to buy another to use in alternate tunings for live gigs. // 10

JS1000 Reviewed by: JoelTheShredder, on march 13, 2009

Purchased from: machinehead music

Features: This guitar was made in 1994 in Fujigen, Japan. It features a 22 jumbo fretted bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The fingerboard has a 9" radius and Dot inlays and uses jumbo fretwire. The back of the neck is very fast and smooth. As far as I know, the guitar has Gotoh non-locking tuners. The body is a solid basswood doublecut and has a burned on transparent blue satin(? ) finish. It has a HH configuration with a DiMarzio Paf Pro humbucker in the bridge and a DiMarzio Fred humcucker in the neck position. It has a 3 way Switch, 1 volume knob (which when pulled up works as a high pass filter), and 1 tone knob (which when pulled up acts as a coil tap). She also boasts an Ibanez edge pro double locking bridge. Mine came with an Ibanez plush form fitted hardcase and some allen wrenches. // 9

Sound: I play many styles of music from thrash and nu metal to mid gain blues to Pink Floyd stuff. But I mainly focus on hi-ish gain bluesy shred similar to Joe Satriani stuff (go figgure xD). I play through various stomp boxes and I use an Engl fireball with a matching cab. This guitar can fill almost every style very well. The coil tap gets some really prestine cleans and some pushed blues tones. And the basswood makes the guitar very articulate. It cleans up fantasticly when you activate the high pass filter and roll the volume back. When you clock the gain up and activate the humbuckers you get some really punchy leads and growling rhythms. Turn the tone down and you can achieve some smooth bass/mid heavy vai tones. The guitar can sound a little weedy when you go past the 15th fret but that's probably more to do with my amp setttings. Turn the gain up s'more and you get really saturated ball breaking rhythms. It does get very noisy though, but nothing a noise supressor cannot solve:) When you start to downtune the guitar is when it becomes less impressive. It just gets really muddy. I would not take this guitar any lower than drop d / d Standard. She has fantastic harmonics too. Very rich and clear and with enough gain, I can even get some on the 2nd fret! To sumarise the tonal capabilities, this is a very versatile guitar, it shines in bluesy shred and cleans, but it really doesn't cope with downtuned metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: well seeing as I bought mine used as a 4 year old, it was in really nice shape, naturally there were a few dings and scratches as you would expect, but most of the hardware and electronics were in perfect working order. There were 1 or 2 exceptions though, the 3 way toggle on mine comes loose every so often which gets annoying and when you touch the vol/tone controls with your fingertips you get some annoying static, possibly a grounding issue? Both issues couldve just been one offs and both easily fixed so no serious downmarking here. // 9

Reliability & Durability: NEVER gig an floyd equiped guitar without backup. That's just stupid. However solid it may seem, a string breakage could kill the whole show. But the hardware and all seems solid as joe calzaghe on steroids. The straplocks seemed a little dodgy but again, easily fixed. I immediatly installed some cliplocks and she was fine. The finish chips easily and is like a fingerprint magnet but none of this bothers be as wear, tear and chips to me are like battle scars. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar couldnt be more perfect for me. I have been playing for around 6 years and will be taking grade 7 shortly and the guitar fulfils all of my needs. I would never get rid of it unless threatened by loansharks.and if it were stolen I would repace it in a heartbeat. Then I would find the guy whole stole it and make HIM eat his own balls. I've constantly tried to find a guitar that outdid mine for the price and just couldn't. What makes me love it is just the feel of the neck and the fat tone it constantly delivers. My only reserve is the ghastly blue cow finish:s I may even refinish her just to make her perfect. It may not be your thing but I can't think of anything else I would rather have for the money. // 10

JS1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2011

Purchased from: Multi Voice Instruments

Features: I think my JS 1000 WH was made around 2002. I bought this guitar around that year too. It was made perfectly by Japanese craftsmen. It had 22 frets and round neck resembles Strats from Rosewood. It just perfectly suits my hand which is not too big. Body was made from Basswood with white glossy finish. The Edge Pro tremolo itself was so good for dive bombing, whammy bar, etc. It features Joe's own PAF Pro pickups from Dimarzio. Later I change these pickups to DiMarzio Steve's special @ bridge, and Evolution for the neck. I just totally love this setup and it last till now. Tuners are made by Gotoh and I bought this one inside a sturdy hardcase. // 10

Sound: It perfectly suits my style from gospel to fusion to progressive metal. I usually use it simply with POD Line 6 and Carvin Legacy cabinet. I really envy the sound and the richness of the tone, whatever style I played with my band, it never fails our expectation! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was perfect, it nearly needs no Bridge setup. The pickups only need a little height adjustment because I need the bass to be louder and talking about the fretboards, until today it still haven't worn out. The guitar doesn't have any flaws in my opinion, all hardwares were remain original after around 9 years. They're still working fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I always do live playing and this guitar never fails me. It was featherlight compared to other types of brands and the size wasn't too big to make you tired. The strap buttons are rock solid. The only thing that will change is the paintjob. The white color will turn into yellowish after around 5 years. I don't know why but I don't have a problem with it. It really looks like a relic today, but many people told me that my guitar was cool as hell. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from soft to hard music and I own other brands like Caparison, Jacksons and ESPs, but I totally addicted to this guitar. JS1000WH was a true masterpiece in engineering and design. Whenever you have a chance to try this guitar, you'll quickly fall in love with it's character. The lightness, the rich tone, the fingerboard was all perfect for me. If it was stolen or lost, I will surely buy another JS for sure. It must be in my arsenal wherever I perform! // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014