JTK2 Jet King Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/14/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: JTK2 Jet King
In keeping with their mid-60's look, the Jet Kings feature the old Ibanez "spaghetti" logo that was used on Ibanez electric guitars and basses from the 60's until the very early 80's.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 Features: 9.2
 8.9
 9.2
 8.6
reviews (15) 25 comments vote for this gear:
JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: Hound_Of_Winter, on july 01, 2005

Sound: Best part of this guitar, so versatile without watering down the individual sounds. Coil taps are awesome and hum-canceling when running the pickups together. You can go from a perfect amount of bassy sound to too much bright (great for effects work). All the switches and pots are absolutely silent. I actually bought Rio Grande pickups for this guitar, a Crunchbox for the neck and a Fat Bastard for the neck. They sounded fantastic, Rio Grande are the best pickup makers out there. However, I found myself longing for the stock pickups. They have a sound all their own and I won't play anything else now. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was fine, action was great but the bridge was intonated for 9s and I play on 10s (lights as opposed to super lights), so I had to reset for that. The strings kinda sucked, I switched to Elixirs (what I always play) and these seemed much better suited for these pickups. The finish is great, it doesn't dent or chip and has a ever so slight sparkle to it. The pickguard was a little rough around the edges. The neck pocket isn't a perfect fit, but it's better than any Epiphone or mexican Fender you'll find. A saddle on the bridge buzzes occasionally. All these things are so minor, they don't affect nothin' but one should be picky in reviews so everyelse knows what they're getting. The neck is the standout on this guitar, thin but still substantial. Fretwire is fitted and filed perfectly and the satin finish on the back is slick. It's the one of the only necks that ever felt natural to me. // 10

Overall Impression: Everything about this thing rocks my socks. I've been playing for 3 short years and every day has been filled with me learning the trade. I've played Fenders, Gibsons, G&Ls (the best guitar maker, in my opinion), Parkers and none of them ever worked fully for me. The weird thing is that I hate Ibanez's guitars, but this things is something else. I love that it will give me any sound that I want. I hate that I didn't get the sunburst finish, get that if you're gonna spring for one of these. This guitar is my choice for the sound it makes, the dependabilty and confindence it gives me, and the fantastic feel of the neck that never makes my hand cramped or tired. This is my favorite guitar. // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 02, 2004

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: I would like to say this is a beautiful guitar. I got it in a discontinued colour (coral pink), thats more of a nice metallic orange colour. For this reason, they had it on sale for like 60% off, I couldn't say no. Here are some reasons why. It's got a really unique body style, which I'm in love with, although it fits awkwardly on a stand. It's got 2 humbuckers in it, but with a really neat feature, you can change each one into single coil pickups. Not sure of all the little details, but it's pretty, and more importantly, sturdy. // 10

Sound: This guitar has the most b--chin' tone, with lots of variety due to the wicked single coil tap thingamabobbers. It is very warm, rich and, really, beautiful sounding. Whether its clean, with slight overdrive, or a wickedly evil overdriven metal growl, this guitar is ideal for all genres. My genre is metal. Any metal. Judas Priest to Cradle Of Filth. I also play some older rock, like Zeppelin and whatnot. This is a very, very versatile guitar. At the store I ran through this Marshall JCM100 head, but any amp I've tried it in, it sounds pretty decent. Even if the amp is a piece of crap. Even in my tiny Washburn Bad Dog practice amp, its very warm. It sounds good with a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, which is what I'm using with it as we speak. Any overdrive will do with this one, for a nice Vintage sound. You could emulate anything, from a Les Paul to a Telecaster, and personally I'd rather play this. Incredible. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything looks in order. Humbuckers are on alright, nice and sturdy, like I like them, set up well, and at Tom Lee they put D'addarios on them I belive, and they were all tuned up and everything. No flaws, other than maybe a wee bit of noise with the 3-way toggle Switch. Really pretty guitar, as I said, I love it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am a gigging guitarist, and believe me, this is one sturdy sunnuvabitch. Its heavy though, not too heavy, but whatever. Strap buttons are very solid, unlike my last guitar. Personally I would use it on a gig without backup, although I don't think in terms of worst case scenario, but whatever. Finish is really nice, I got a scuff mark though, thats about it, nothing a little Brasso and polish won't fix. Its all sturdy and working, nice feel to it aswell. // 8

Overall Impression: Great match for not only my style, but any style. If it were stolen I would gun down the sorry bugger who was stupid enough to steal it. I love everything about it, especially the single coil thing. I compared it to ESPs, Ibanez RGs, Fender Stratocasters, various Jackson, and it kicked all of them in the balls. I wish I could find another one if something happens to it, very hard to get your hands on. // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2005

Purchased from: Music123.com

Sound: This guitar is really cool! It can sound like a Les Paul and a Strat. With a crap 15 watt Fender amp and a Boss MD-2 pedal it gets a loud crunch on the bridge, perfect for rock and metal. When you turn down the distortion and Switch to the tapped neck coil it's perfect for blues. This guitar also has an awesome clean sound, with or without coil tapping. The neck pickup on clean gets a ton of bass though, you'll have to compensate, but its a good sound for playing acoustic-ish songs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was okay, like 1.5 mm, could be better. Everything was pretty good from the start, just a loose brigde pup but that was easily remedied. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Solid mofo, the finish is thick. It's built like a Jaguar and has the solidity of a Les Paul. I bet I can depend on this in a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, a bit of Green Day, and metal, some clean-acoustic-ish songs, and this is a perfect guitar. I've played for 3 years, starting with a Squier. This is a nice, leap away from that Squier (which had a crappy neck and pickups). If this were stolen I would find that bitch and kick his ass with my ninja skills. I prolly will buy this again, or something similar. My fav feature is the coil taps, it's wicked awesome. // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: Nebjy, on june 20, 2007

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: I belive it was made in 06 or 07, 22 frets, rosewood neck and mahogany body with medium frets. Mine had a basic black finish but I've seen some magnificent finishes such as a tabacco style. I would say it almost qualifies for double cut but it would be a little more difficult to play if you re-strung it as a left hand guitar. The bridge reminds me of a tune-o-matic and features a string through configuration. The bridge pickup is an ACH 2 Axis pickup and the neck is a super 58. One of the best features is the already installed coil taps which make this guitar a versatile machine right out of the box. It came with a cheap cable which I use as my backup now becuase it started going bad after the 3rd day. But reguardless it saved me the trouble of getting a cable for a week. // 9

Sound: It can pull out that single coil bluesy jangle, or it can Switch to distortion tolerant humbuckers. I am using it with a Roland Cube 30X, and it is rather loud at even low volumes. I keep the volume at 7 since the humbuckers have a higher output than the single coils and to get the same volume I have to adjust it. Switching it to bridge and turning up the bass and switching to humbucker mode can give a nice deep crunch sound, and switching to single coil neck with high mid and treble can get an almost Stratocaster jangle. Overall, it's pretty versatile but can't match up to a Les paul or a Stratocaster. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fine, the pickups were just right, no flaws. Oh right, they dropped it in the factory taking a chip off the bottom. So I glued it back on, called and got a 35 dollar discount. Reguardless it annoyed me. And when I played the floor model at sam Ash, the e string could not bend past a half a step without moving to the next niche on the nut. This does not only go for my guitar but for all jetkings, the coil taps are loud. So don't try recording the Switch over. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guys at the factory must have dropped it rather hard to make that kind of chip. So has to be pretty durable. The strap buttons are solid but this is one heavy guitar. My acoustic strap kept falling off so I had to get a better one. I would use this at a gig without backup, and the finish, I don't know. Most likely during my time playing I will fill it up with stickers and signatures so I'm not too sure. The hardware itself seems durable enough though, so if your just concerned about playing then it's perfect. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly Rock and Blues music and I've been playing for about half a year now. I own a Yamaha Classical Nylon string guitar, and the cube 30x and that's it. The reason I chose the Jetking is becuase I was looking for a Fender Jaguar my first time at sam Ash, but I couldnt find one. So I gave up, spotted a Jetking and thought "Hey, it looks like a Jaguar a little and it's an Ibanez! Hey!" So from that point on I was hooked on the Jetking. If somone stole it, I would thrash that person down. I love this guitar. My favorite feature is probably the coil taps and the Jaguar like body. My least favorite feature is it's weight. I compared it to a Standard mexican Strat, and the jetking destroyed it. But the Jetking does not have a Whammy Bar. In my opinion that would ruin the jetking, but the job of doing weird tricks on the Whammy bar is best left to the RG series. // 9

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: Keef-is-king, on june 15, 2007

Features: This guitar was made in 2005 in Japan, as are most Ibanez guitars. The guitar has 22 frets and a reasonably trim, if wide neck, which I find very comfortable. The guitar's body is made of a solid chunk of mahogany and the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. The high gloss finish on the body is simply stunning and really brings out the grain pattern on this guitar. The body is similar to a really thick Fender Jazzmaster that has been crossbred with some sort of 60s Sears guitar. The tune-o-matic bridge and string through bady are pretty Standard fare. The volume and Tone knobs are normal, as is the three way Switch. The oddball part of the controls are the coil tap switches on the bottom pick guard near the lower bout. Each of these taps one of the humbuckers for a rather convincing single coil sound. The humbuckers are pretty much the Standard Ibanez variety. // 9

Sound: I play a wide variety of music, from the Chili Peppers to Audioslave to Paul Gilbert all the way to Brian Setzer. This guitar can cover all these tones, but is best at Audioslave and Brian Setzer. I play through a Danelectro Fab Overdrive, an EHX Big Muff Pi, a Dunlop Crybaby and a DigiTech Digi-delay into a Vox AD30VT. The guitar delivers a very full rich sound from the neck humbucker and a very biting sound from the bridge. Tapping either thins the sound out and adds to the hum, but does not match, say, a normal Stratocaster single coil sound. Tapping one 'bucker and leaving the other untapped with the 3 position Switch in the middle position yealds a very small tinny sound that I like to use to make a part seem tense. It's a very cool sound. I would say that this guitar has about 2 tones per pickup and 6 tones in the middle position. It is a tone tweaker's delight! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on this guitar was slightly iffy from the factory, there was quite a bit of buzz on the upper strings. Other than this the fit and finish was nearly flawless, save for a slightly ill fitting upper pickguard (small warp). I really have no issues with the Action, Fit & Finish on this guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Everything about this guitar is solid as a rock! I would gig without a backup if I had to, but this could lead to personal issues as this guitar is VERY heavy (double the weight of my Epiphone Dot), and I dance around a lot. I cannot give the same "no backup" praise to either of my other guitars, as my Epi feeds back with distortion and my Strat likes to break strings. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said above, this guitar does a good job with the music I play. While it has less sounds than a Line 6 Variax, it still sounds like a "real" guitar. My other gear includes a Danelectro Fab Overdrive, an EHX Big Muff Pi, a Dunlop Crybaby and a DigiTech Digi-delay into a Vox AD30VT. My other guitars are an Epiphone Dot and a custom Squire Strat. If this guitar were stolen or lost i would probably not buy a new one, as after the update Ibanez took away the sunburst finish mine has, and generally lowered the quality of the instrument. In all likelihood I would end up buying a Paul Gilbert signature Ibanez, just because i really want one anyway.... My favorite feature on this guitar is the sheer number of tones it can make, but I hate its massive weight! When I bought it I cross shopped it with an Epiphone Les Paul and several Schecters. The old school charm and coil taps quickly won me over. I love this axe! // 9

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: Blompcube, on july 13, 2007

Purchased from: Music City

Features: My Jet King is a Indonesian made 2007 model with a soild black finish, which contrasts with the white scratchplate(s) nicely. The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard, and with unusual triangular inlays on the left hand side of the neck, similar to a Gretsch. The neck is a natural finish, which is what I like on guitars, and it's thicker than you'd expect from Ibanez, it's quite similar to a Strat neck. The body is an off-center double cutaway which is about the same shape as a Fender Jaguar, and I think it's mahogany. The bridge is a tune-o-matic with a funny shaped metal plate for a thru-body tailpiece. The controls that are given on this guitar are what makes it Shine, and for this I have to give it 10 - It has a simple 1 volume and 1 tone, with a 3 way pickup selector, but it also has 2 "rocker" switches placed conveniently on the upper part of the scratchplate that are coil-taps for the humbuckers, giving you a wide range of tone variations. The guitar has 2 humbuckers, the neck position is a chrome covered Super 58, I'm not sure what the make of the Bridge pickup is (Axis? ) but it's an exposed-coil humbucker. The tuners are unbranded but look like gotohs. The accessories included added 25 to the original price (195), these weren't Standard issue it was part of the deal at the store, I got a FX flightcase and a Fender strap. // 10

Sound: The sound of this guitar could suit any style of music I think. The guitar has 2 humbuckers, which give you a powerful, full tone, but a flick of those rocker switches and the rough humbucker sound turns into a bright, shimmering single coil sound which is especially pleasant on the bridge pickup. The only disadvantage to tapping the humbucker is it no longer cancels hum so you will get some noise, but that's something you'd expect. I actually counted it in the store and this guitar has 8 possible switching combinations, giving it a lot of variety. Since I'm using a Vox AD50VT, I can get just about any sound from this guitar and amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and intonation were set up perfectly on this guitar, as with most Ibanez setups, as were the pickups. To be honest there were no flaws in the action, setup or finish. What more can I say perfection. I have to write more, so I'll just mention that all Ibanez guitars seem to be made to this level of perfection, they have excellent quality control. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels solidly built. It will definitely withstand Live playing, the only thing I'm worried about is how the bridge pickup can easily be wobbled about, but I think this is just the thing with most guitars because of the way pickups can be adjusted. I would definitely gig with this without a backup if I had to. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, punk, ska, everything really, and this guitar has a good tone for everything. I've been playing 10 years and endlessly searching for a single guitar that can get a sound for anything and this is it. Prior to that I was switching between various guitars with humbuckers and various guitars with single coils, mainly strats and telecasters. If this guitar was stolen I'd hunt down the person Who stole it and make sure I get it back. If not I'd definitely buy another one. I love the sound of the tapped bridge pickup, the only thing I dislike about it is that it's a bit too heavy, but I can handle the weight. My favourite feature is the coil tapping, because with that, it can do anything. // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: jamesy15, on august 14, 2007

Purchased from: imuso.co.uk

Features: I'm not sure when and where it was made, but it is one of Ibanez's newer models(06) I believe. It has 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard. The fret markers are triangles, which help you to see them when standing up(apparently). The neck is extremely comfortable to play and to hold, it moulds into your hand very nicely and is quite fat. It made from maple and is a bolt-on. The body is mahogany, with a sunburst finish and red marble-like pickguards, which makes the guitar look awesome! The bridge is a Full Tune III, and there is a nicely shaped tailpiece which you either love or hate. It is string-thru-body. The electronics are pasive. It has single coil tap switches, one for each pickup, which work great, you can really hear a difference. There is a 3-way pickup selector, master volume and master tone, all of which are silent and do their intended job well. The pickups are covered humbuckers, Ibanez Super 58s. The new model has a different bridge humbucker which is not covered. The pickups are fantastic, you can get amazing sounds out of them. The tuners are unbranded. The guitar came with a free lead. // 9

Sound: I don't play one specific genre of music, I like to play lots, and this guitar enables me to do that. With all the pickup and coil tap configurations, you can get a limitless supply of different sounds. You can play good bassy blues and then full-on distorted metal and they both sound great, this guitar is suited to anything! The sound is a bit bright on the bridge pickup on clean, but turning the tone knob down corrects this easily. I've played it through a Laney HCM30, a Marshall MG30DFX and a Marshall AVT150X. It sounded amazing through all save for the MG30, as it is an awful amp. The buzz is minimal form this guitar, even when using heavy distortion. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up perfectly at the factory and played brilliantly. The pickups are fine and work as intended and were adjusted perfectly. All the cavities and such were routed perfectly and it is nearly impossible to pick a technical flaw with this guitar. The only niggle was the input jack being slightly loose. The volume pot also came loose recently, but that was due to my overusing it and took about 30 seconds to sort out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very solid, and also very heavy! I think it would survive gigging well, the neck is extremely solid and the entire guitar feels very secure. I'm not sure I would gig with it though, and I'm not sure my shoulders could take the strain!! It is a very heavy guitar! The strap buttons are good as far as I know, I don't gig yet but I'm sure they'd be fine. The hardware seems good as well, although my top E went through a stage one day where it kept jumping out of the nut. I think I could depend on it, I trust Ibanez for reliability and this guitar seems very reliable. The finish is great, it's been put on very thickly so it's unlikely to get worn away anytime too soon. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing less than a year, but during that time, I've played lots of guitars and investigated the technicalities of guitars (it's what I do), and I think this is one fantastic guitar for the price. I don't think you can find a better starter/second guitar than this for the price. I will certainly continue to play it after my new guitar(another Ibanez) arrives. It were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, or perhaps another Ibanez. It truly is a fanastic guitar, especially for the price. // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: KRTKOO4, on october 18, 2007

Purchased from: muziker.sk

Features: I believe it was made in 2006/2007 in Indonesia. It has 22 medium frets on rosewood scale. The neck is a little bit wider than the RG and S Ibanez series, but feels really good. Body is fully mahogany made and that makes a positive and also negative point. The positive is the sound and negative is the weight. It is a little bit heavy but that doesn't matter that much. Sound is more important. I have bought the red colored finish instead of the black one that was in production about the time I was buying it. The body shape as you can see from the picture is similar to Fender Jaguar. There is solid bridge installed that I think is better in this price range because of the tuning ability. The electronics are passive of course, but the pickups still sound good. There is a volume and tone knob, 3-way pickup selector and the rocker switches that can divide the humbuckers into single pickups. The only inculuded accessory was the cable that broke after 4 days of playing. // 9

Sound: I play all kinds of music styles from country and blues up to metal. It can cover them all bud it best fits for classic rock. I am using Marshall AVT50X hybrid amp. I play mostly on both pickups because the sound is really rich then and also the amp can create really nice sound out of it. The neck pickup (Super 58) is good for blues mostly and the neck pickup (AH2) works well with harmonics, tapping. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Finish is the thing that in my opinion is the worst part of the guitar. The pickguards were not cut very accurately. The red color contains some black dots, and there was glue or something like that sticked on the head. But that was easy to clean. The 3-way pickup selector is a little bit loose also. Overally it is all fine but not 100% perfect. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I mentioned before this guitar can handle all kinds of music styles. The hardware is all fine but the tuners seems that they won't last that long. Strap buttons are solid and seems like they will last forever. The paint is well made so even if it gets dirty it is easy to clean. 2 pickguards saves the paint from scratches. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 3 years now and this is my first serious electric guitar. I had Behringer before that was all wrong. If anything happens to the guitar I will not hesitate and buy it again. In my opinion it is the best guitar for that money you can get. // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: Kada2110, on november 17, 2007

Purchased from: Nova glazbala

Features: It was made in 2007 Indonesia, 22 medium frets, mahagony body, mahagony neck. Mine is black with white pickguards. The body shape is simmilar to a Fender Jaguar. It has a Full Tune III Bridge that looks like a Tune-O-Matic to me. It has 1 volume and one tone control, and "rocker switches" wich have the ability of coil tapping, and that's amazing. H/H pickup configuration, neck pu is Super 58 (nice, warm tones), bridge pu is AH2 (heavy tones). Tuners are unbranded but they are good. It came with a cable. // 10

Sound: My music style is classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, I play Dio, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Lordi and of course, my own music. It suits any style well, from light blues to hardcore! I'm using it on a Marshall MG15CD amp, and it is decent for me (well I'm a beginner). The tone is good on any setting, but it buzzes on clean on the neck pu and when the distortion is set on max. But that's normal for a cheap amp and a cheap cable wich came with the guitar. I tried it on much better 100 and 120 watt valve amps, and it sounded amazing! It has its own unique sound! It's not a LP, not a Strat, it has it's own better tone. That's amazing! If you want a different nice sound, buy this. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set good, but not perfect. The strings werent tuned. The pickups are perfectly adjusted, everything except the strings is perfect. It has no flawls, everything is well, but my guitar doesnt't stay in tune very long (it goes out of tune after 4 days of playing) but I think that's because it's new and the strings aren't good. I'm planning on buying Elixir strings soon. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well I haven't been gigging with it, but a famous dude called Andy Jackson from the band Hot Rod Circuit uses this guitar because it's versatille and he said that it's solid as a rock. So I thrust him. It feels solid too, the hardware seems like it will last forever. I would gig without a backup! Actually, I would enjoy gigging with it and I can't wait to have my first gig with it! The finish seems really durable too! // 10

Overall Impression: For any music it is a good match! I already said that I have a Marshall MG15CD and it sounds nice on it, but of course, it sounds 100 times better on a valve amp. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again, gladly! I love everything about it, especially the unique and versatille sound. I love the rocker switches too. I hate nothing. I compared it to a Fender Strat, a Gibson SG, Yamaha pacifica and to a Ibanez RG321. This guitar can't be compared to them because it sounds different than theese guitars. It has a unique sound, wich I like better than any other guitars tone! I will change pickups in a year or two. But don't get me wrong, I just want something more individual! The stock pickups are great for everything, but DiMarzio Super Distortion and Air Norton are better. // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2007

Features: I bought this new in 2007, but it's a 2005 model. It's already a classic. Great guitar, all around. This is the sunburst/natural wood finish JTK2. The sustain is great, and you can slide chords up and down the neck which I've never been able to do as easily on any other guitar, even really expensive ones. // 10

Sound: Although it looks vintage, it doesn't sound vintage, which is good and bad. None of the new guitars, not even the USA vintage series Fenders, sound vintage. You have to buy the real thing to get the vintage sound. But that's ok. This guitar has a unique tone, it's fat and warm, and has a lot of depth and character. Too bad they didn't include one lipstick pickup just for kicks. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Excellent action. Ibanez hasn't had action this good since since the old Roadstar and Artist series. Some of the hardware is cheap, the input jack keeps coming loose which is one of Ibanez' claim to Fame. If the input jack isn't cheap then it's not an Ibanez. The pickup adjustment is crap. You get about a quarter of an inch before the screws fall out, but then again, typical classic Ibanez. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Very tough guitar, and quite heavy. Non-musicians always ask if this is an old '60s guitar. It looks like an old Japanese Jaguar spin-off. Pretty dependable for an Ibanez. I bet those switches won't last long, but I bet everthing else will. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is really a classic. Too bad they didn't continue with this same configuration on the new 2007 JTK2 series guitars. They changed the pickups to a more modern crap sound an the new colors aren't as vintage looking. I guess the black is still good, but they really need the sunburst, that's the one I bought and it fits the guitar perfectly. For $250+tax this is really a great guitar. If I had to put a price tag on it, I'd say they could have marketed these guitars for $350 easily. But hey, no complaints! // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: Dr.Evil Knödel, on january 07, 2008

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: My Ibanez JTK2 was made in 2006 in Indonesia. It has 22 frets on a beautiful rosewood fretboard and a very comfortable neck. The neck is not as thin as on most other Ibanez guitars but it's not too fat either. It's a Mahogany body. I don't know a lot about the tuners but together with the Tune-O-Matic bridge they hold the tune almost perfectly. It is equipped with two humbuckers (on my model they are two Super 58's) and two rocker-switches. These rocker-switches are the most interesting part of this guitar but I'll come to that later. The Body style (which reminds me of the Fender Jaguar with less pointy cutaways), the Ibanez "Spagetti-logo", and the two tortoise pickguards produce the great retro look of this guitar. The pickups can be selected by a 3-way Switch and controlled by one volume and one Tone knob. The accessories weren't spectacular but I can Live with that. It included a surprisingly good cable and a gig bag. Mine has a brown sunburst on it and the finish is very even. It came flawless. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of blues and the guitar handles the sound perfect. Here is where the Rocker switches come in: They basically work as individual coil-taps and turn the humbuckers into singlecoils. They fit perfectly into the retro look of the whole guitar and make this guitar one of the most versatile instruments. I use it with a Roland Cube 60. The Bridge pickup gives a very clear sound but in my opinion it sounds a bit weak when distorted. The sound is a bit to light. The neck pickup can deliver some absolutely breathtaking cleans. The pickup has huge bass- and mid-frequenceis giving it a really warm, rich and full sound. Though, when you put too much bass on then chords may be a bit muddy. Having it on single coil or humbucker is like night and day. The single coil has less mids and lows so all frequenceis Shine through. You can hear every tone of a chord crystal clear. Then of course you can mess with the switches and the 3-way switch and create lots of different sounds. The only thing I think is quite annoying is that the volume changes a bit when you switch from humbucker to singlecoil. Not too much but still noticeable. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar was really high when I received it. That was quite annoying as I had little experience back then so I spent a lot of time there. I had to adjust the pickups aswell, as they were slightly high when I fixed the action Another thing that I noticed is that the nut does't have deep enough curves for the b and high e-string. Sometimes when you strum the open strings a bit harder or when you try to bend the high e-string close to the nut, the string pops out. Although that can be fixed easily it's still annoying. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is built really solid. It's very thick and quite heavy but If you get a decent leather strap the problem is solved. Another good thing is that it doesn't have the heavy-neck problem. The guitar will not automatically slip to the left when you don't have your hands on the neck. On the other hand, leaning it against a wall doesn't work because then it will tip over. The strap buttons are very good and better than on most other guitars. Everything seems like it will last and if we assume that the strings won't break during a gig then I would use it without a backup. But since strings do break from time to time I will not use it without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Blues and sometimes some Funk or Rock and it suits those styles perfect. I don't think you can get heavy metal distortion out of it but since I don't play that style of music that's fine for me. If it were lost or stolen I would get it again or maybe buy the JTK1, which has the same features. There is nothing I really hate about this guitar and a lot that I love about it. From its funky looks to its warm, creamy sound, it all appeals to me. I'll give this a nine because I'm amazed what I got for the little money. Thank you for reading. // 9

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: Underjoggle, on june 06, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Made in 2007 in Indonesia, this thing has features out the wazu. The 22-fret rosewood fingerboard is the smoothest I've ever played. They also combined my two favorite woods: Mahogany for the body makes it nice and heavy, while hard maple for the neck with a satin finish makes for lightning-fast playing - and I'm not even a shredder! The body looks to me like a Jaguar, but, humble. This "humbleness" is evened out with a cool-looking chrome tailpiece, offset triangle inlays, a "spaghetti" Ibanez logo, a mismatched pup set (one is chrome-covered, the other uncovered, which looks cool), and an upper pickguard with "Jet King" proudly printed onto it. The tune-o-matic bridge makes action adjustment a breeze, and the coil-tap rocker switches make this guitar anything from a swingin', swaggerin' classic rock box to a lovely country twanger. // 10

Sound: I like to Switch around in my styles, from classic rock, to metal, to punk, to ska, to country, to blues, to jazz(yummy), and even some hip hop. This guitar does everything. Right now I'm on a stoner rock binge, and the weight of this baby makes my chords the crunchiest ever, combined with a good fuzz and my bass amp, and it's got pretty good sustain. And for jazz, it's great. Switch to the neck pup with the coil tap engaged, and warm jazz tones abound. Really, you can play everything from "One" (Metallica) to "Four" (Miles Davis). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was fantastic right out of the box. The pickups were perfect, too. I've never had to adjust anything on this guitar, except for the bridge when I switched from.009s to.010s. My only complaint is that the tailpiece, being so shiny, gets smudged up a lot, and it's hard to clean with the strings on. Doesn't affect the playing at all, though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm just a bedroom player, so I'm not sure about Live playing. The strap buttons are nice and solid, I've never used locks on it. The only complaint I have is that because of the body shape, the upper horn is heavier than the lower, so if I set it on an edge without much friction on it, it's gonna fall over. If you're not playing this guitar, please: keep it in a stand. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for anything. I've been playing for about a year and a half, and it's unsurpassed by my other electric guitars (my Martin acoustic, however...). If it were stolen, I'd be pissed, because they've been discontinued to make way for the JTK3 (with single coils and not as much versatility), and the JTK4 (with a whammy bar, which I hate). This is my favorite guitar, and I wouldn't part ways with it, ever. // 9

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2008

Features: First the basics: mahogany body and maple neck. Made in Indonesia in 2007. 22 Med frets. Cool offset triangle inlays. TuneOMatic bridge with a string-thru body. Unique silver tailpeice where strings meet the body. One volume knob, ont tone knob, 3 way selector. Neck pickup is covered humbucker, bridge pickup is uncovered. Now, the real KICKER of this guitar are the coiltaps. The taps split the humbuckers into single coil pickups, so you can get the crunch of any humbucker guitar and the twang of a Strat in ONE GUITAR. Since I wasn't able to find out how to work them, I had to experiment a bit (the manual is pretty cryptic), and found the secret: when the switches are pointed down (away from the strings), the pickups are in single coil mode; when up (toward strings), humbucker mode! // 9

Sound: I use this guitar on a Crate 1X12 practice amp and a Marshall Valvestate halfstack with no effects. It sounds great with just my built in distortion and reverb, very little hum. The volume does drop a bit when you tap over to single coil, but I compensate by having the volume on the guitar at 7 or 8 when using humbuckers, and full blast when tapping to single coil. The one complaint I have about the coiltaps: when tapped, the half of the 'bucker that is closest to the center is active. I wanted to get a bridge single coil twang with mine, but since there's a good 3" between the bridge and the active half of the pickup, the sound is a little fuller than I would like. I will probably just end up rotating the pickup 180 degrees. Switching the taps IS noticeable when playing alone so I don't recommend recording a Switch, but Live should be fine. The coil taps combined with the 3 way selector gives 12 different combinations for tone on the guitar alone, not to mention what you change on your amp. It can play everything, literally everything, from punk, ska, hard rock, funk (all of which I play), to blues, jazz, soft rock anything. This guitar even does handle light metal, tho it isn't really set up for dropped tuning, and doesn't look very edgy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The ax was setup perfect out of the box. The action was great, input jack was secure, pickups were a good height and all the strings were set properly. The finish was spotless on the front and back of the unit, although I'm already sure the back will get carved up with belt rash (my other Ibanez has a trem system, and has a big plastic plate where my belt is). The guitar is heavier than a Strat-style, but no heavier than an Explorer or Les Paul, and like all other Ibanez I've played, it doesn't tip downward when you aren't holding the neck. The only downside is the pickguards. They are real flat and had no scratches, but the edges are really rough, as though it was cut from sheet plastic and slapped on the guitar without any sort of sanding or smoothing. But you can only notice it when you are playing, so I guess it isn't that bad. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar, bridge, tuners, and pickups all seem like they will last. When I got this guitar, the tone knob had cracked toward the bottom where the numbers are. it still worked, but looked like hell and will for sure carve up the pickguard. I called the retailer and they are sending me a new knob, which can easily be replaced with the right allen key. The strap buttons are very solid, but since straps can wear out I will use simple straplocks. I plan on using this guitar live a lot, and due to it's versatility I doubt I would Switch to another. The only reason I would have a backup is in case of a string breaking or total tuning switch. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is GREAT, though hard to find since it was discontinued. I play punk, hard rock, funk a la RHCP, and some light metal, and it does it all. I've been playing for 7-8 years, and have an Ibanez RG120, Ibanez Detroyer (Explorer Mock), a Squire Strat, and a myriad of acoustics. It's safe to say that due to the coil taps in this unit, I'll never play the squire Strat again. I'd recommend this to any intermediate guitarist, though if you only play Death Metal, your band might make fun of you for the way this axe looks. It may be a little tricky for beginners due to the coil taps, odd placement of the pickup selector, and the sheer weight. Everything on it is what I expected. I almost bought a Jaguar HH, but the wiring of the switched confused the hell out of me, so the simple taps on this were a godsend. It's cheaper than the jag, lighter, and WAY simpler to get the tone you want. It's now my main guitar, and I would easily pay $500 or more to get it back if it was lost/stolen, since they are being discontinued. I love everything about this guitar, the look, playability, durability, everything! I might turn my bridge pickup around but that's it. My favorite brand has delivered once again, thanks Ibanez! I love you! // 9

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: Papadupulous, on april 28, 2011

Price paid: C$ 139

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Bought used at Long & McQuade, so I don't know much about it, but it was a steal for the price. Indonesian made, 22 frets, glossy black finish, string through body bridge, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, 3 way selector, 2 tone switches that don't do much. The style of the body is reminiscent of the Jaguar & Jazzmaster body shape, but with 2 plastic pick guards, one above the strings and one below. Pickups aren't much, two mismatched humbuckers, neck pickup covered, Bridge one not, but they are the originals. // 7

Sound: I've played with songs from genres all the way from pop to Indie to metal, to blues, to rockabilly. I can get basically any sound with this guitar, run through my Line 6 Spider III amp. It can sound rich, fuzzy, clean, deep, and seldom gives off bad feedback. This said, it's not ideal for rockabilly sounds, but I have a hollowbody that's perfect for that anyways. However, it's still the most versatile guitar I've ever played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't buy it new straight off the shelf, so I don't know how the factory set up was, but when I bought it, it was in need of a setup. It came with a free setup however, so that wasn't a problem, and besides the two patches of scratchmarks on the back, it was in excellent condition. The nut is fine, nothing has rusted, and after the last tuneup, I haven't broken a string yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only used it at one show so far, I'm not that active of a gigger, but I've rocked out in the basement quite a few times, and it can withhold whatever I throw at it. The strap stays on, mostly because it's a locking one that wouldn't come off if you pulled it with all your strength. For playing, recording, and gigging, I can safely say I rely on this guitar. However, it is a policy of mine never to gig without a backup, because anything could happen. // 9

Overall Impression: I do most of my guitar research on the internet. Not a good habit, but the local music store only carries typical Gibsons and Fender guitars. Rarely do they get anything even slightly exotic. Anyways, I had been looking at this guitar online for about a year when I saw a used one at Long & McQuade. Of course I knew I liked the look, but I was surprised how much I liked the feel as well. Usually I've found you sacrifice between look, quality, and price. This one had an ideal mix of the 3. I mean, $139 for any guitar that isn't a starter is a good price. I mostly play alternative, indie, and rock songs, and this guitar is an excellent match. Sort of atypical, but not enough to be really strange, extremely versatile, and fun to play. I've been playing for about 4 years, and out of my 3 electric guitars, this is both my cheapest, and my favourite. The other two are a Slammer by Hamer knockoff Strat, and an Eko 295. If this guitar was stolen, I don't know what I'd do. Of course I'd buy another one, I'm already debating buying a second one for alternate tunings and fiddling around with. If anything, I wish it had 2 covered humbuckers, it would look a bit nicer, but it's nothing that can't be fixed in time. // 10

JTK2 Jet King Reviewed by: CMMusicMan, on october 14, 2011

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: I got a Silver Hard-Shell Case with "Jet King" on the front. The case was a little rough, but it's nothing I can't fix. I had to bu new strings of course, but that's normal. There were NO tools in the case, like Alan Wrenches or anything like that, and no key to lock it up either. // 9

Sound: I'play through a Peavey TransTube 212 EFX, and it sounds GREAT ! This amp I play through is set for Studio or Live performances, and it has all kinds of effects built into it. The Jet King,s Lead position #2 is totally kick-ass when I play Skynard's Freebird, and Gimme 3 Steps. The Rhythm Mode is warm and smooth. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar was NOT set up right. Frets were WAY too high, Never been lowered. I spent 4 hour working the guitar over, and now it plays Beautiful! The Sunburst finish on it is kinda scratchy, and it looks Old and Dirt. I'm planning on painting it Ultra High Gloss Black, and making a new set of pick-guards for it. Everybody Loves the way I can Paint a guitar. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I think I can count on it. I play it every week. Since I re-worked it, it handles the way I want it to...fast, smooth, easy, and ON THE MARK! what I mean by that is, I set the Harmonics onthe JK to where the B string is slightly sharp and so is the E 1st. They seem to wear faster than the others, so by putting them about 1/10thof a note sharp, they're in tune when they're old. Instead of tuning to 440, I tune those 2 strings to 442. // 8

Overall Impression: My Jet King is a 2004 model, and it had NEVER been "worked" for playing. I set it up to MY specifications. I play ANYTHING I'm paid to play, whether it's Rock, Blues, Country, Jazz,... Doesn't matter, this guitar responds EXCELLENTLY to my demands. To me, it was a GOOD Investment. I love the Silver hard shell guitar case too. If you wasn't to see me playing this Jet King, check out my website and you'll see it. Go to www.myspace.com/BobbJayMusic and check out my pics. KEEP PICKIN' AMERICA! // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014