K7 Firespeak Blue Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/14/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: K7 Firespeak Blue
This very different guitar comes with factory set A tuning and all kinds of Head and Munky inspired specs such as DiMarzio PAF7 pickups, necks with the K7 logo on the 12th fret and glow-in-the-dark side dots.
 9.3
 8.5
review (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
K7 Firespeak Blue Reviewed by: Sir Garfield, on june 14, 2005

Features: The fabulous Korn duo has inspired an awesome design with custom DiMarzio open humbuckers, a K7 logo blazing across the 12th fret, and the out-of-your-way but right-where-you-need-it U-Bar locking trem system (which can be replaced with a standard bar). Glow-in-the-dark side markers keep you oriented on that vast expanse of 24 fat frets and 7 strings. A genuine mahogany body provides resonance and the rosewood fretboard feels fabulous. // 10

Sound: This baby got he heaviest sound I've ever heard. I tuned it to ADGCFAD, the basic Korn setting, and it just sounds bad. Bad in a good way, that is. I play mostly Korn, so this one suits me perfectly. I found out a TS7 and a WahWah is a good combo with which I can get most Korn sounds with only minor differences. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it from a guy I had met over ebay, so I don't know how everything used to be set up. He said he had never really played it, and I didn't find any flaws. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 10 years now, mostly Stevie Ray Vaughan and stuff like that, but right now I'm really into Korn, which is the reason why I bought it. It took me a couple hours to get used to the 7th string, but apart from that its very easy to play, not as fast as my Strat, though, which has a much thinner neck and strings. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another one, probably in Blade Grey. I really like its simplicity - one 3-way Switch and volume poti, and thats it. Looks really impressive with the glow in the dark side dots and the K7 inlay at the 12th fret and no other fret dots. The 24 frets are pretty cool, and with the 7th string it covers a huge range of tones. I just love the U-bar - thats what mankind has always been waiting for. It's got a low profile and efficiently protects the fine tuners from being turned by accident. First I had wanted to buy a 1527 because it is cheaper, but then I saw this one on ebay and thought what the heck, I'm getting this one! Beginners should probably start with a 7321 or 1527 due to their low price. You really have to like 7 strings, and some friends of mine who are not as experienced as I am had big problems switching to 7 string for a couple hours and then back. I have both, 6 and 7, and I got used to switching. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014