MMM1 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/24/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: MMM1
Guitarist Mike Mushok of the Staind isn't getting just any guitar for his Ibanez signature model, his MMM1 is the first Ibanez production baritone guitar.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 7.8
 8.8
 6.8
reviews (2) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
MMM1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 21, 2005

Features: Korean made, mahagoni body and mahagoni neck, neck-thru construction, string-thru, 28" baritone scale, 2 Ibanez Humbucker (super58er baritone wound). // 10

Sound: That guitar is no longer a guitar. It's a monster. It's the only Ibanez baritone you can buy and the best baritone I ever played. This guitar has such a warm tone and at the same time it is totally aggressive. The distortion sound is killing, I never even thought about changing the pickups. Clean it hardly sounds like a bass. Undescribable! The string-thru + neck-thru brings excellent sustain and sound! Many people think "baritones can't hit high notes," no. You can also play solos! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar from the store, the intonation was bunch of s--t. So I fixed. It wasn't much to do but I was a bit disappointed by Ibanez. But after that nothing was markable anymore. One thing that surprised me totally was that the action can still be very fast even on really thick strings, if you know what I mean. The hardware is just immortal (funny word for describing a guitar, I know). I just love this guitar! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since I'm playing a lot at home and on stage this guitar will last everything for a life time. I've put my whole trust in that guitar because it never disappointed me. In no way. That matt-oil-finish is my favorite because you can't see any dirt or dust on it. So easy to play. // 10

Overall Impression: My style is rather into metal/rock. Bands like Staind (Mike's band), System Of A Down, Slipknot etc would describe my style best, I think. It fits perfectly for that. And lots of other styles (yeah, if you manage to play 'em with a baritone). I've tested an ESP Viper baritone and it can't fight with the Ibanez, not at all. I bought this guitar because I noticed that Daron Malakian from System Of A Down plays an Ibanez Iceman. I always wanted the Iceman but now I know that the MMM was the best choice I could make. If you see it in a store - go and get it! // 10

MMM1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist Seller

Features: My MMM1 is a June, 2003 model, and has since had a few modifications. The original specs are as followed: A mahogany all one-piece body, with a neck through joint. The neck is a shallow, wide c shaped Ibanez profile and has a 28.83" scale length. The centerpiece that holds the wings together is bubinga, and it has a mahogany oil finish which is beautiful. Cosmetics are chrome (tuners, pu's, knobs bridge). Hardware is passive HO two Super 58, and Super 57 pu's that are stock, and Baritone wound. A tone and master volume knob. A Gibraltar custom bridge. 22 steel frets, stock non-locking tuners, and a three way selector. (However my modded version has a pu replacement of EMG 81's, and the tone knob's been replaced with a 20db gain boost that toggles what I call "super active" on and off). // 5

Sound: Well, its a Baritone so of course it has a deeper tone than a regular guitar.But, its overdriven tone is super aggressive and thick. Also, detuning it down to A (Its standard is B) makes it throaty and guttural. BADA-S! Its overall sound characteristics are very warm, and smooth. Pretty jazzy really. I play mainly alternative Metal, and Alternative Rock (Staind, Cold, Seether, Tool, Slipknot, Korn, etc.) The guitar really REALLY suits all of those very well. I am running it through a Randall RX120RHS and effects are coming from my DigiTech RP500 FX processor. Its gain is pretty good, and sustain is around 12 seconds. With fx its around 15. No noise, good feedback when you want it, and the sound is stable all the way up the neck, even to the 22nd fret on the low E. Versatility isn't a very strongsuit of this Baritone, it plays everything up to a "Texas Tone" or a Stratsy/Fender tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is great, very smooth, tight. Tuningwise, it NEVER comes out. Pus' are good, bridge is great, everything is just really, really, well made and put together. The only problem/complaint there is with the MMM1. Is that it has a oil finish, and as any decent guitar player will know, oil finishes are very easy to rub off, and can be damaged quickly. So I would find a way to refinish it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Overall this is a very good guitar, and if you treat it right, it will be good to you for a very long time. // 8

Overall Impression: Fantastic, I love it, plan on keeping it, and I will probably never sell it, or plan on getting rid of it. If it were ever stolen I would kill the entire population of the human species just so no one else can enjoy it. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014