MTM1 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/06/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: MTM1
Tone, features and playability make the MTM1 as awe-inspiring (and dangerous looking) an instrument as the artist who designed it. This is a guitar made for heavy rock and metal.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 7.7
 8.5
 8.9
reviews (3) 39 comments vote for this gear:
MTM1 Reviewed by: allanon88, on november 02, 2006

Purchased from: Giovanni Music

Features: This guitar was made in Korea in 2006. It has 24 jumbo frets on a quite skinny neck, which is good for my smaller hands. It has a full mahogany body with a thru-neck design and a blood-red finish with all-black hard ware. It is a tele-style body and it has an Edge FX double locking fixed bridge. The guitar comes in Mick Thompson's tuning (B f# b e g# c#) straight from the factory. There are two active EMG humbucker pickups (EMG 60 for neck and EMG 81 for bridge). There is only a volume knob and a pickup selector. The pickup selector has 3 positions. A cable and some hex-wrenches came in the box also. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal (COB, SOAD, Slipknot, Trivium etc), and classic rock. If you do not play metal you might want to reconsider buying this guitar, because this is a metal machine. I plug it into a grunge pedal and a Fender Metalhead half-stack and it sounds absolutely amazing. Due to the active pickups and mahogany body this baby will sustain forever and squeal out some pinch harmonics like a pig. The tone has some serious richness to it but it can also be clear and bright using clean tone. It was also suprisingly light. I compared it to my IC200 and it was like a feather compared to it. I also play some country and this guitar performs excellent although it is certainly made for metal and it plays like it was made for metal. I was actually suprised by the versatility especially for a guitar designed by Mick himself. The action was good although I lowered just a bit. I can shred like a mother on this thing as the action is good and the neck is skinny and fast. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said before the action was good and the neck was fat. The volume control was dead silent which is one of my favorite things. Also the fine tuning knobs on the bridge are so easy to turn compared to my Jackson SL3 Soloist it wasn't even funny. Every little detail on this guitar is perfect. The 'Seven' inlay is also eye-cathing and is also very well done. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This giutar will not only withstand Live playing but maybe a nuclear blast also. This is probably one of the biggest reasons I chose this guitar. Hey, if Mick Thompson can use it live then I'm sure it is pretty solid. Even the stap buttons are solid. I would use it for a gig with no backup no questions asked. This guitar will be super reliable I am sure of this. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing metal and rock for 5 years and this guitar fits my needs absolutely perfectly. I have a Jackson SL3 Soloist and an Ibanez IC200 and they don't even come close to this guitar on any level. If it were stolen I would hunt that person down and beat them to death with their own leg. I love everything about this guitar except that the finish on the neck can get kind of sticky. The only things I wish it had are a tone knob and and a Mick Thompson signature somewhere on it. // 10

MTM1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2007

Features: When looking at the MTM1, probably the first thing that will catch your eye is the double locking fixed bridge. You see, the great thing about the Floyd Rose trem is that it is amazing for staying in tune through the heavy stress of a tremelo system. This guitar however doesnt't have a tremelo, it just has the bridge. The only reason I can really see as to why they included a Floyd Rose style fixed bridge is to make this guitar unique and, while it does make the guitar unique, it really just accentuates the flaws of a Floyd Rose (minimal tuning ability and exasperating string change times). Now, I am really a big fan of tweakability. I love a guitar with options, the more knobs and switches the better; this means far less moving about on stage. The thing with active pickups is that there are far more options as far as tweakability go; gain boosts, EQ knobs, etc. I really feel that by limiting the guitar to having just one volume knob, they just limit the tonal possibilities. In a perfect world, this guitar would have a volume and tone for each pickup as well as gain boosts and preamp adjustability. Combining the Floyd Rose fixed bridge and the complete lack of tonal adjustability really makes for a guitar with lack luster features. Locking tuners accomplish the same thing that this guitar does, and they are far, far less inconvenient. I guess it could have been worse though, they could have taken off the volume knob and made it completely barren. // 3

Sound: This guitar has a great sound for metal, Just like you'd expect from a guitar stocked with EMG's. The good thing about the sound is that, if your so gung ho as to get this guitar, then you're probably a pretty hardcore Slipknot fan, and being that this is the same guitar Mick plays, you're in for a pretty good treat. The EMG 81 is a great active pickup, used in Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and many others. The only problem is that, if you're looking for versatility, you will not find it here. I play this guitar through a solid state Crate amp and a Carvin V16, It sounds great on the Crate, I really dig the high output and high sustain it gives. The Carvin however, being that it is more of a tweed style amp, isn't complimented very well by this guitar. I have also played it through a Blue Voodoo and a Carvin V3, I have to say that it really does make a pretty great metal tone. I'm going to rate this in terms of how good it sounds for metal, as I highly doubt anyone would be buying it without the intention of playing Metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got my guitar it was horridly out of tune and needed a setup, but being that I won it from a school contest that bought the thing from Guitar Center, the bad setup is to be expected. After adjusting the bridge, tuning it to Standard (I'm not too thrilled with the alternate tuning, but that's nothing really to do with the actual guitar, just personal preference), and tightening up some things here and there, it played really nicely. The action, once set up properly, is real low all the way down the bridge. You can expect amazingly good action when dealing with an Ibanez. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've not had this guitar for a real long time, so it's hard to say anything of the longevity, but in terms of purely physical strength, it holds up very nicely. It withheld during a few Live preformances that got kind of hectic, and it also withstood the blunt trauma of ramming into someone's head (although I wouldn't recomend such practices). More or less everything on the guitar seemed pretty solid and durable, although I wouldn't recomend beating people with it as it's fairly lightweight and probably won't last too long if used as such. // 8

Overall Impression: Overpriced and poorly designed. The bridge is an abomination and really just amounts to a lot of headaches and the lack of controls makes for lack of tonal versatility. If this were a $400 guitar I would recommend it, but given it's outstanding price (around $1200 depending on Who you buy it from) I can't recommend it. Ibanez makes quite a few other outstanding guitars with EMG's in it that will most definately recreate any sound this one can make and I can gurantee you that the construction will not be as back asswards as this guitar and, it will probably be cheaper. If you're buying it purely for the aesthetics that it is the same guitar Mick Thompson uses (bad idea) then I guess there is really nothing that can be said to stop you, but for everyone else that wants to get a good guitar, look elsewhere. The poor design really just made what could have been an outstanding guitar into something that, considering the elements involved, is really just more tedious and questionable than it is great. // 5

MTM1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2008

Features: The reviews are right is was made in korea and what a beaut. The fret where like ribbing your hands along silk they where amazing and not too big for my liking either just right(prob because I have the same size hands as Mick thompson). The body 1 word flawless, body design Ibanez RG350 convert, 1 volume that's all you'll ever need, PIck-ups EMG 81 neck(aawww) EMG60 bridge(SWEET), the locking bridge you could throw it against a all and it'l still be in tune. I did also get a Ibanez case, dimazio locking strap and the allun keys aswell. // 10

Sound: This guitar belive it or not is very vesitile it can do some really cool type of sounds from blues(if you can do them) to rock and even country. The amp I have is a spider 3 Line 6 30 watter on insane mode this guitar throws out harmonics like old rubbish, with little ease you can tune all your notes into pinch harmonics. Full of rich sound when you want to but amazing for rock and metal which is what I mostly play anyway all my other guitars I play but not as much as this. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Dude the tunningfrom the factory was awesome really tests even the most experenced guitarest, the pick-ups didn't find any problems they where in nice and tight and down low, the bridge was a little werid to handle a first but you get used to it. The guitar had not one flaw which is really werid coming for ebay as you would think they have several. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for onstage and will stand anything, the hardware will last a long long time as it's black and very solid and the strap buttons are like rocks they are not going to move, poeple will kill me for saying this but I have swung this guitar around my body and them buttons where brill, the finish is underated you look at it and think that would last very long but it does and it will keep it's amazing colour for a long while. // 10

Overall Impression: My style of music is mostly metal so this guitar was made for it and does what it says on the box, I have been playing for coming on a year and this guitar coupled together with a 30 watt line 6, a line 6 POD it is total creamage for any guitarest, The guitar would have been better with a signature from mick but uuhh still awesome without it. If it where stolen I would find the person and make them eat their inside with a very rusty fork and knife, I love everything about this guitar nothing to hate and no favorite thing either, do however love the inlay that on it's own is an eyecatcher. I wouldn't compare it to anything as it's amazing to play have and to show off with so no compaing here. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014