MTM2 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/12/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: MTM2
The Ibanez MTM2 Mick Thomson electric guitar's 5-piece thru-neck and Mahogany body pump out full, fat tone with strong sustain. Edge FX Edge bridge offers double-locking stability with fixed bridge simplicity and sustain.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.6
 Features: 8.9
 9.3
 8.6
reviews (7) pictures (1) 93 comments vote for this gear:
MTM2 Reviewed by: Tummaenkeli, on september 14, 2007

Features: I literally just got this sent in. My friend Who runs a guitar shop got one accidently, and passed it on to me (by way of apology - he broke my acoustic). The Ibanez MTM2 is Slipknot's signature guitar. Well, to be more specific, it was designed by their guitarist, Mick Thomson. My friend informed me that it was a guitar 'made for metal', and, though I am certainly not a fan of Slipknot, I knew that they played heavy. And this guitar reflected this. I've played signature guitars before, but only this and my DMM1 gave it's promised sound. This wild black puppy has a good, strong mahogany wood neck. You could seriously use this guitar to climb Everest. The frets, however, do stick out a little. This doesn't affect me too much, but it can still be a botheration. It's quite comfy, and has a rather slim body. The tuners were pretty fine, and the hardware looks like it was made to last. My hardware was black. Pretty good at what it does. // 9

Sound: This achieved a very heavy sound, which was certainly not suprising. Much less treble than my DMM1, therefore making it preferable to my JTK1 for certain songs. However, for such a heavy guitar, the range of things you can play on it is astounding. I played songs that could barely even be called rock and it still sounded good. The pickups are powerful, however not as loud as I had expected. But this is the kind of guitar that has sound waves that could kick your ass. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I could say flawless, were it not that the action was kind of shot on it, apparently. However, my friend fixed it up before he gave it to me, and other than that, it's pretty damn fine. And I'm a pessimistic person. I'm actually trying to find flaws. Sadly, I fail. All in all, the neck was well fitted, and the guitar seems good in this area. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe that the core of this guitar is something like titanium, because it is virtually indestructable. That wolverine guy could have just made some claws from the body of an MTM2. I couldn't find anything wrong with this, in a way. Oh, wait. May as well mention that some of the hardware, however, was a little loose. // 10

Overall Impression: For anyone who plays any rock, any kind of rock at all, this guitar is pretty good. It looks as good as it sounds, and is strong enough to make a Terminator out of it. I would certainly recommend this guitar. I'm not sure how widely available it is, but seeming as Slipknot is pretty mainstream, I'm sure this guitar won't be running short of supply soon. // 9

MTM2 Reviewed by: (SiC)Slipknot, on june 16, 2008

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: Great, traditional Ibnaez body with inverted headstock, 5-piece Wizard 2 maple neck feels great to play with. The mahogany body adds plenty of tone to the sound, the Edge III bridge adds plenty of sustain and in general the whole "missing a tone knob" thing is kind of a lie, by the time you start riffing with the guitar, that thought won't cross your mind once. Jumbo frets ensure that shredding is easy. // 10

Sound: Designed well to help create a bold powerful sound. Like I mentioned, the body and the brigde help add tone and sustain, but the pickups are also amazing, the V7 and V8 add a deep growl to the sound meaning replicating Slipknot's sound is very easy. I use my MTM2 with a Line 6 Spider 3 and a MT-2 Boss Metal Zone pedal (for best sound replace the low action strings to 0.11 gauge Slinky's. Also for most distortion turn the volume knob all the way up and only use the volume on the amp). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was built in Indonesia and don't let the "poor craftmenship in the Asian area" thing get to you. This is an amazingly well built guitar. The guitar is solidly built with the parts securely fastened on. The wood is of high quality as well. The 5-piece next is very strong and this guitar could stand a lot of punishment. This pickups are the perfect distance from the strings aswell. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Played at many shows and this guitar has never let me down, constantly showing its power and its tone. The hardware is amazing, due to the fact the guitar was constructed so well. The finish is great, the colour scheme of the whole guitar works very well. The strap buttons are very secure and are placed so your strap will never slip out, which is a big relief since my last guitar was a Les Paul replica and the strap came out of that very often. My thought is the strap is like this because of Mick's Headbanging tendancy and it his strap feel out during a 'bang' it would not be very good. // 10

Overall Impression: I tend to play nu-metal and Slipknot is my favourite band, hence why I purchased this guitar. I have been playing for 5 years now and this is the best guitar I have used by far. If you are thinking about this guitar, stop thinking, buy it! You will not be disapointed. // 10

MTM2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2009

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: Firstly, we'll start with the bads. There's no tone knob whatsoever, which, after playing on this for about six months, is finally starting to get pretty annoying. although the guitar does offer great tone in general, without the ability to tweak that tone (amp aside), it can get a little old. Also the bridge is another problem for me. Although it does offer fine tuners, which is awesome with the locking tuners, thats about all it offers. no tremolo on this guy, which will undoubtedly give you plenty of "ah f*** there's no tremolo bar!" moments. When I first bought this guitar I had high hopes that maybe I could just buy a Floyd Rose or something, but after talking to a few people, it sounds like a better idea not to even TRY to attempt this. Now the good? Despite all the bad, the overall tone of this guitar is still something to brag about, the pick ups do pretty nice, especially for the price. I don't know the brand but they're very decent for being passive. It's also really nice to get a guitar of this style with mahogony at a cheap $599. The reverse headstock is awesome, not only does it look amazing but makes tuning a bit easier. Oh and the back of the neck is painted the same sleek black as the rest of the guitar, looks really nice. All hardware works perfect after 6 months. // 7

Sound: Definitely for anyone into metal of any sort. I'm able to get this thing tuned down to drop A without it sounding like total sh**. This is amazing for all the new really really low end rythum based death metal going around lately. With 10 gage strings it gets a really good all around tone but with a nice emphasis on the lows. With lower gage strings this thing will rape your ear to death with a deep, grungy, yet still articulate tone. it's pretty amazing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this from a music store, not from the factory, so I don't know how that affects this, but when I bought it everything was perfect, set up exactly how I would've done myself. But I have heard from some people online who got it from the factory of minor problems with the action and stuff. Nothing that you can't tweak yourself though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Definitely a reliable guitar, I've never had any issues with it in the months that I've owned it. One thing that I like is when I don't have any extra strings and I break one, I can usually just reclip it and reuse it. As far as actually changing strings goes, it can be kindof time-consuming, not something that I'd wanna do in the middle of a show especially. The finish need alot of attention being that it's very scratch prone. In fact it's so scratch prone I was somehow able to scratch it with a cloth meant for cleaning glasses, but the scratches aren't extremely obvious or anything, but it seems to be pretty impossible to keep spotless looking. Also if you palm mute a lot than you're gonna probably lose some of the paint off parts of the bridge, revealing the copper underneath the solid black. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, if you're into metal, especially the heavier or more technical kinds, this is a really good guitar in the price range, so long as you don't mind havin no whammy bar. It gives an awesome tone for the price and the only durability issues are purely cosmetic. Go try one out before you buy it, you'll love it. // 8

MTM2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2010

Features: I bought the guitar of one of my brothers friends who had been playing in a band for a while, so he bought an ESP which I wish I could own but I was on a small budget, and after purchasing the guitar I was shocked to find, it really had alot to offer.the guitar has really been purely designed for metal hence why it is mick thompson's signature guitar(lead guitarist of slipknot).be it from the jumbo frets, thick strings, which a capable of going much lower than just drop c.or the sound that is boosted from the awesome v7 and v8 pickups, that can deliver a very powerful and heavy sound, but also being able to play stuff that is more relaxed with no problems. Its hardware is top class, the fine incroment tuners on a Floyd Rose bridge give a presice adjustment exspecially whith the guitar locked down at the top. // 9

Sound: My style of music is varied. I like to play anything from slipknot, metallica, iron maiden, Hendrix all the way to duran duran, tenacious d and general other bits.my choice of amp is 75 watt line 6.I use a Cry Baby whah to compensate for its lack of whammy bar which is a shame although does beat the ojective of the guitar.the guitar is absolutly silent when it needs to be, but on the other hand it can scream till the cows come home.the choice of setting is limited as it only has a volume knob and pick-up selector. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received the guitar its action was a bit high, but fortunately this was solved with the help of one slotted screw driver.the fretboard was smooth and flawless especially when oiled up with some fast frets.all the available knobs and selectors were absolutely solid and without problem.the finish of the guitar neck and body was unmatchable for the money. It has a very high gloss body and thin and smooth fretboard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made of recycled terminator.literally nothing will go wrong with it, probably because their is little to go wrong with it.you wont need to worry about your strap falling of due to poor strap buttons. I think if it can survive the massive mick thomson then it can survive the beating of any person, except the person I bought it from who dropped it and cracked the necks paint, but not the wood fortunatly.hence why I got it so cheap. // 10

Overall Impression: It really is a winner with me, mostly because I play mainly metal which it does very well. I love the way its thin body sits and how you can literaly give the kneck a reach around to mute those hard to reach notes.if the guitar was lost or stolen I wouldn't even think about not getting another, just to feel it slim body once more, top marks. // 9

MTM2 Reviewed by: pitimor, on march 10, 2011

Purchased from: Local shop

Features: My model was made in 2009, Indonesia. This guitar has superstrat shape. The body is made of magohany, the neck is made from maple and walnut. Frets are jumbo frets. MTM2 has Ibanez Edge III bridge, which is fixed but it has tuning stability of the Floyd Rose, featuring string nuts and microtuners. I have the models with two humbuckers, Ibanez V7 and V8. The only flaw here is possibly the lack of tone knob, but everything else is fine. // 9

Sound: I play death metal. Altough this is the signature guitar of Slipknot's Mick Thomson, it really gives a great performance at any metal genre. The sound has good low end, nice, full mids and defined but not searing top end. The magohany body makes good job in making the sound round and full. My equipment is Marshall Valvestate 8100 used as a poweramp to a Line 6 PODXT Live and I really get good sounds of of it. I could never test it with a tube amp, but check out user named fearedse on Youtube, he uses the MTM2 with tube amps and just listen to his awesome tones. Also, MTM2 sounds really good at lower tunings. I use Drop A in my band, and sound remains very clear. We have one track recorded in F# tuning and at this point the clarity wasn't as good, but still nice. And this is a really low tuning so I have no complaints. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: To be honest, I didn't change any settings since I got the MTM2. I bought it with the action perfect for me, the Bridge and neck were set up perfectly. And to this day, I really didn't have to change anything - the setup remains good. Also, it came with strings with gauge about 11-50. They got a little soft in Drop A, and I like to have hardness under my fingers, so I changed them to 13-62s. And I was very surprised - altough gauges like this are usually used with Baritone guitars and I was ready to make adjustments, I didn't have to do anything. The neck and Bridge remained set up good like they were made from rock, the only thing I had to do was to change the intonation a little bit. Also, thanks to Edge III bridge, MTM2 holds tuning very good - I usually don't even have to tune it once in a whole performance. // 10

Reliability & Durability: MTM2 is built rock-hard. Mine took some nasty falls during rehearsals and performances, and practically nothing happened. The hardware is really solid and as I wrote earlier, it takes heavy gauge strings exceptionally good. Strap buttons are made for straplok straps and that's a great thing, my strap didn't unlock a single time while I was playing. I have a Schecter guitar for backup just-in-case, but I never had to use it when I didn't want to and I think I could trust the MTM2 without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: As I wrote earlier, I play death metal and MTM2 delivers, but honestly I think it could do for any metal style. I also heard good lighter rock tones with it. I love this guitar almost literally, if I lost it I would sprint to the music store as soon I got money for a new one. If you play heavy metal and use dropped tunings, I think there are few if any as good guitars in this price range. I sincerely recommend the MTM2 very much. // 10

MTM2 Reviewed by: IrishSeann, on april 21, 2011

Price paid: € 515

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: The guitar was made in 2010 in Indonesia, it has 24 jumbo frets, a 5 piece maple/walnut neck, and a rosewood fretboard. The body is in the RG shape with a reversed headstock. The finish is white with black binding all around the guitar. It has a fixed Edge III floyd, active duncan designed HB-105MTs in both the Bridge and neck position, one volume knob, and a 3-way pickup selector. The guitar also came with a gigbag. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal and this guitar suits me absolutely perfectly, Mick Thomson is my biggest influence and this sounds amazing for anything thats down-tuned. I use this with a Boss MT-2, an Ibanez TS9, a Boss NS-2, and an Orange Crush Pix 20ldx. As I use a noise suppresor, I don't really notice any noise at all, the guitar is sort of noisy on a clean setting, but this can generally be fixed by just lowering the pickup volume. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly from the factory, everything was adjusted properly and it even came factory tuned to Mick's tuning of Drop B. The guitar only required a quick tune up and then it was ready to go. The guitar did'nt come with any flaws and was pretty much ready out of the box. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar more than withstands live playing. The strap buttons are by far the best I have ever had on a guitar. I have had this guitar for about 6 months now and it has never let me down. I still have a back-up guitar because you really should always be prepared. The finish will definetly last. // 10

Overall Impression: As I play mainly metal this is a great match and really helps for any heavy tone that you could have. I've been playing for 3 years and I also own a Ibanez Art-300, and have an ESP ltd Gus G Eclipse that should arrive to my house in about 3 days. If it were stolen/lost I would probably save for the MTM-1 as I'm planning on getting one soon anyway. // 10

MTM2 Reviewed by: buddoggydogg, on july 12, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: - 2009 - 24 frets/ 25.5" scale - Mahogany body/neck, ebony fretboard - Black finish with white binding - Reverse headstock - No inlay markers - Edge FX double locking bridge - Ibanez non-locking tuners - 3 way "blade" selector - Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts - Volume control only (no tone knob) - Mine included an Ibanez hardshell case and strap locks // 8

Sound: I am a hobby player that likes to dabble in everything, and personally I think this can handle anything I throw at it. I currently have it tuned to C Standard and am toying with a subtle sound (a la Cold, whom also play in C), and I love how it sounds! It can also handle much darker and distorted tones with ease. The blackouts complement the guitar beautifully! I have no idea what it sounds like with the stock pickups, mine came with the blackouts already installed. The downside is the lack of tone control, which gets irritating very fast. As for it being noisy... If I'm far enough from the amp this thing doesn't make any hums, buzzes, or feedback. I give it an 8 due to lack of a tone knob. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it the action was a little rough and the previous owner had fairly large strings tuned to E Standard which stiffened up the neck a bit. After tuning it down and adjusting the bridge, all was well. Tuning stability is just so-so to be honest, I was hoping a double locking setup would be a little more stable. The pickups fit in quite loosely but it's never really been an issue. The finish is black and shiny so every little thing shows up! The painted neck tends to get sticky after playing if my hands are sweating, otherwise it's really smooth. Since I bought it used I don't know if the issues I incurred was the factory's bad or the previous owner's. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Although I've never played a gig with it (like I said I'm just a hobbyist, not in a band), I think it could hold up well under pressure. The strings that were on it when I bought it were old and held up great for another year before replacing them (yeah so I'm lazy, sue me), so I don't think string breakage is an issue (but that may have been just good strings or damn good luck). The hardware looks like the black finish will fade fairly quickly but it's sturdy. The tuning machines are smooth and the fine tuners seem to be built to last. The strap buttons are solid, but just for safety's sake, I'd use strap locks, which also were included with my purchase. For me it's common sense and just smart to always have a backup during a gig. I don't even play gigs, but I have backups just in case something happens that I can't fix right away. I trust this guitar pretty well after owning it a year. // 9

Overall Impression: As previously mentioned I play just about anything, but mostly alternative and some metal, with a little classic rock. I've been playing on and off for about 5 years, but have gotten serious about it in the last year. I also own a B.C. Rich Beast and a Fender Starcaster, of all my entry-level guitars, this is leaps and bounds my favorite one. If it were stolen, I'd try like hell to get it back because of all the added goodies that came with it. I got about $800-900 worth of stuff for less than 500, so I'd be pretty irked. If I couldn't recover it, I'd save up and buy an MTM1 with SD AHB-3's. I am in love with this guitar but it does leave some things to be desired (tone control, better tuning stability). // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014