PGM 401 Review

8.7
review (1) pictures (4) 19 comments vote for this gear:
PGM 401 Reviewed by: Ikonoklast, on september 30, 2009

Purchased from: GAK

Features: Made in Japan in 2009. 24 frets - thin, playable neck. Ash body walnut fingerboard. Strat type body and fixed bridge, passive DiMarzio Air Classic pick-ups with just the volume control. The pick-ups are Humbuckers which are utilised through a 5 way pickup selector. There was just an official Ibanez case included. Nothing else. // 10

Sound: I play anything from Andy Timmons to Pantera, Paul Gilbert, Decapitated, Pink Floyd and Stone Roses. This guitar can do anything you ask of it. The only bad point about my rig is that it's being played through a Line 6 Spider III which I've decided sounds crap. It's clean as a whistle even on high-gain settings and the sound is extremely bright. Notes ring through when playing chords. You can play anything from Country to Death Metal on this...it might struggle with really warm tones, although the pick-up selector in the neck position warms it up loads. You really do get a lot of variety by just using the pick-up selector and volume knob. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My only gripe with the guitar is the set-up when it arrived. The strings feels cheap, it's not very well intonated, it wasn't tuned and the action is pretty high. The hardware is all really quiet and really well fit. Sounds brilliant. The only problem I has was on a 1500 guitar I expected it to arrive ready as if Paul Gilbert himself was going to play it, and it didn't. Set-up could have been a lot better. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar feels solid but is actually quite light. I haven't tried it Live and probably won't, but if I was going to I wouldn't take a back-up guitar. It seems like it will stand the test of time but I've only had it a week so who knows. I would expect for the price and from Ibanez for it to last a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I play any sort of music and I think this guitar would tackle it to a degree. I've been playing 5 years and am playing through a Spider III, which is the only let down because the amp is rubbish. The tones are there to be had, but the amp is incapable of releasing them to their true value. If this guitar were stolen I would be finding whoever did it and would be stabbing them in the throat with a fork. Pain would be unleashed. I love everything about the actual guitar. The set-up wasn't good but that was easily remedied. It plays fast and smooth and comfortable. I was nearly gonna get a PRS but decided on this because it was more in my price range for the model I wanted, and I don't regret it. It's got a brighter sound than the PRS's but it's still awesome. The only thing I wish it had was a decent set of fingers to work it to it's magical best, but that's something, with the use of this instrument, I hope I can remedy! // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 8.9 Electric Guitars 10/21/2014