RG120 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/23/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG120
The RG120 is the the base model RG. 24 frets, laminated top, 2 pickups, 3-way selector, volume/tone controls. This guitar is great for Metal and Hard Rock and sounds good with punk and grunge songs aswell.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 7.4
reviews (21) pictures (3) 46 comments vote for this gear:
RG120 Reviewed by: The Anteater, on november 16, 2005

Purchased from: Marks Guitar

Features: The guitar is made in Indonesia and has 24 frets. The body is not wood so it is fairly heavy for a guitar. It has a metallic red paint with metal flake in it (this looks rerally cool in the sun). The body style is the traditional Ibanez RG series body whish is like a modified Strat. It has two humbucker pickups and offers fairly good sound quality. I got this used in near perfect condition with a gig bag at this price. Brand new it is around $150.00 and the gig bag is valued at $20.00. // 8

Sound: This is a good guitar for rock and roll and is great for beginners because of its low price and good quality. I am using a Marshall 10 Watt amp with a whammy bar and overdrive. This can make pure noises for more traditional music or distortion for great rock. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This was set up well and everything went well with eachother. The only flaws were some minor scratches. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Everything on it is solid and will hold up to live performace if you do. This guitar appears that it will last forever as long as you don't abuse it. The finish doesn't wear and I would feel confident using this guitar at a gig without a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: I play rock and this guitar matches it very well. I have only been playing about five months and don't have any accesories other that things like stands and musice books. If it was stolen of lost I would probably get the same guitar. The only thing I don't like about it is that I wish it had a single pickup in between the humbuckers to play lighter things better. // 5

RG120 Reviewed by: Shred4fun, on may 20, 2008

Purchased from: a friend

Features: After being fed up with the lack of playability and short neck of my Les Paul, in addition to a desire to play more technical music, I decided to purchase a used Ibanez from a friend. I can easily say that I have never regretted that decision once. One of my favorite features is that this guitar has 24 frets and a deep cutaway, which greatly increase the amount of notes that can be easily played. Although I don't use the 24th fret much, it makes reaching the 22nd a lot more reasonable. It has a 3-way selector and 2 humbuckers, which works fine but not great, and came with a tremolo bar. It doesn't have any locking nut system, so when I try to use the tremelo, it goes out of tune. It's good for someone Who wants a more "shreddy" style guitar, but doesn't want to spend a lot. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal and rock, which suits the guitar perfectly, but when I need to play blues or jazz, it's just as good. My main complaint is that the pickups aren't as loud as I would like, but other than that the sound is fine, and a good enough amp can give it an aggressive edge. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it from my friend, it didn't have strings, so I put some light ones on, and it really seemed to suit the fastness of the thin neck and the low action. I did get a little bit of buzzing on the lower frets, but I fixed that easily, and it wasn't an issue. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar for about a year now, and have used it exclusively, and even at a gig, and I haven't run into any problems yet, and the strap button has never fallen off (unlike my Les Paul). It's a simple design, so not much can go wrong with it, and it's very dependable. // 9

Overall Impression: This has been my main guitar, and is more useful to me than my expensive Les Paul. I have to say that this guitar has really improved my playing skill. It's reliable and versatile, but kind of boring, so if it were stolen, I would probably just buy a better guitar. // 8

RG120 Reviewed by: Zer0TheHer0, on june 23, 2008

Features: The RG120 is made in Indonesia. Mine was produced in 2006. IT has 24 Jumbo frets. If your are reading this review you are likely already familiar with the RG body style. The cutaway near the base of the neck is enough for me to fit my hand and wrist through while playing on the lower frets. A quick list of the features on this model are: some derivative of a Floyd Rose, a volume knob, a tone knob, a 3-way pickup selector (bridge, neck, or both), 2 humbucking pickups, and the Ibanez Wizard II neck. The Wizard neck is excellent. I have small hands, short arms, and stubby fingers and I play lead so a thinner neck is an absolute necessity for me. The Wizard II compensates for all those things. // 8

Sound: I play primarily metal, hardcore, and rock. This guitar is definitely more gear towards that spectrum of music, but it is able to adjust to other types of music with a reasonable level of adequacy. The one thing that can't go without mentioning is the guitar's ability to play lead metal pieces. I play covers from Avenged Sevenfold, Dragonforce, old Atreyu and others similar and this guitars perfectly engineered sound is almost out of place in a $200 guitar. That being said, one thing I have found is that without strange combinations of effects and such it is difficult to acquire some of those 50s and 60s sounds like you might find with the Temptations. that's really the only trouble I've found with this guitar. The fact that it's only average on most sounds and really only great when playing metal is what leaves this guitar at a 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: One thing which I noticed is that sometime I'll get some string rattling, but it's only when I really try for it. It has never transfered into the amp. As for aesthetics, the guitar is brilliant looking. In a world that's knee deep in hollowed out and airbrushed driftwood, the simplistic and clean design of this guitar is refreshing and ironically awards it some amount of character. It is the definition of a modern guitar shape. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been very reliable and durable. I have put this guitar through quite a bit of turmoil and clumsiness and after all that the only thing the broke was cheap guitar cable I had bought. I have banged it against tables, walls, doors, and a nightstand (many many times on the nightstand). Every time I do I check it for scratches or dents and it's still immaculate. There are still zero marks of any kind to be found anywhere on this guitar. If I knew that a gig was going to be crazy I would bring this guitar over any other. The thing is like an armor-plated truck. Also no knobs have fallen off and/or spontaneous combustion occurred etc. // 10

Overall Impression: I really love this guitar's sound while playing lead on metal pieces. I think no matter what I'll always come back to it after playing other guitars just to remember that sound. The only thing that really gets on my nerves about this guitar is that there is no recessed cable jack. I was comparing this guitar with 3 others of similar price range: a Laguna (not sure the model $300) the Ephiphone SG Special, and the Schecter Omen 6. The Laguna sounded shrill and without and emotion or "epic-ness" so it was out of the question. There was only one Schecter in the shop and when I checked it out it had a neck like a bendy straw. The SG was simply one of the worst guitars I've ever heard. My chick friend who know absolutely nothing about guitars said it sounded like someone left a harmonica inside the guitar when they were assembling it. I really wish this guitar had a recessed cable jack and it wouldn't Hurt if the frets were extra jumbo instead of jumbo for my stubby fingers. This is an excellent guitar to get a beginner started off playing lead or a very durable and quality sounding cheap backup for a more advanced player. // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: grimreaper99, on july 23, 2012

Purchased from: guitars center

Features: When I bought this Ibanez it came as itself not a gig bag but I already had a hardshell. It is a 24 fret perfect for lead pending on what kind of music in my case(metal, rock) although when I was looking to buy a new guitar I wanted a solid not a bolt on neck BUT this one has no movement VERY solid, the neck is straight, shockingly I have banged it up a few times. The body which I don't believe is wood gives a thicker heavier weight BUT very great sound. I do believe I paid maybe just a little bit too much but I think it was worth every penny. Stays in tune, even when being handled often. there's only one thing I don't like about the guitar, THE DAMN PICKUPS I personally don't like humbucker, there good for beginners but the tone/sound I'm looking for from sharp highs to crunchy lows aren't all there the one modification I would make to switch to 81 85s EMGs, ZW or JH etc you choice! Over all great guitar! // 8

Sound: My current amp is a Line 6 Spider IV 75 I believe works great tons of great effects about a 300$ or 400$ amp. Plan on swapping to a half stack Line 6 not sure what one. But I plan on getting my EMGs first. With the stock humbuckers the guitar produces great sound not all there for what I'm looking for but I've grown out of that tone and looking for bigger and better. String wise, I use the Zakk Wylde's. By the way I plan on getting the ZW EMGs because those are the songs I mostly cover. BUT the solos are pretty difficult. Sound is great, not much string rattle but not hearable through the amp very well made guitar! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I didn't order it directly from factory, but I'm sure guitar center checks over there guitars. My tone knob is just a little loose nothing major. Perfectly tuned when bought no rust, no loose pegs, perfectly edged not sharp nut saddle is perfectly set/fitted. Perfectly routed bridge up to no problems with this guitar! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've banged it up truthly but if you were to see it you would never notice a scratch. Sadly I baught the white one making it easy to get dirty but also gives me opertunity to bring the value up by getting a killer paint job on it! As a matter of fact I would like you guys to give me some ideas on a paint job I was thinking maybe like a solid 2 tone or spending real money for some ART work done to it? // 10

Overall Impression: I just want to thank you guys for your reviews which is mostly what convinced me on this great guitar! I've been playing for probably 3 years but I've been getting serious about it about a year ago! If I had to buy a guitar with 300 I would buy this one, if I had to upgrade I'd go to a Dean razorback or the ZW Les Paul Custon but hey that's my dreams! This guitar is truly what I was looking for I would recommend it to anybody! // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2003

Features: I got this guitar about a year ago, and so far, it hasn't f*cked up on me. It's a 24 fret, laminated top, RG. No super special features, except for the tremolo arm. It's pretty much stripped down to barebones configuration. Two pickups, 3-way selector, and volume/tone controls. Everything is really simple in it's makeup. But the simplicity is what makes it so great. // 10

Sound: I play lead in a punk rock band, and so far this guitar has given me everything I've ever wanted (and more) for the job. It's sound quality is pretty good, and i don't have any feedback problems. The sound is pretty full when it's distorted, but I find that if I put it on a clean channel, I have to turn up the volume to get a complete sound. The tremolo arm is an excellent add on, and even better, it's not fixed, so when it's not in use it swings down and hangs so as not to be a nussiance when playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect, that's all I have to say... Perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far, this guitar has suited my abuse pretty well. It's survived a live show (we've only done one, we're a new band and don't even have a name yet) and the hardware hasn't given yet. The finish seems indestructable. It's been scratched at with chains, safety pins, zippers, picks, and anything else that might be hanging from my clothes, and so far it hasn't got a scratch on it. // 10

Overall Impression: Basically, for punk rock, this is the best guitar I've used thus far. 8 years playing experience, and I haven't seen a better model. Running it through my RP50 effects processor, I discovered I could get a wider range of sounds after playing with the different amp/cab models. Excellent guitar. // 10

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2005

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia but I'm not sure when. It has a thin neck and 24 frets but they get really small towards the body. It's a solid-top and gathers dust like nothing else although the metallic red paint looks awesome in the right light. It's got a pointy, Strat-like body and a tremolo bridge. It has two humbuckers, a volume and a tone knob and a 3-way selector. This guitar didn't come with any accessories when I bought it, not even a whammy bar. // 6

Sound: This guitar has a good bright sound when you play it clean, mostly on the first two pickups. Sometimes, when I play it through my Peavey Enboy amp, I get some loud feedback when I put it on the "lead" setting on the amp. I don't use any effects with it and it doesn't play with distortion too well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't found anything seriously wrong with this guitar and I've been playing on it for a little more than a year. The only thing I've noticed is that the strings sometimes have a tendency to rattle against the first fret, but this can be easily remedied with a quick adjustment. Another thing is that the nut for the cable insert keeps coming loose and I have to tighten it now and then. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a durable guitar, and I must say I am rather clumsy with my instruments. Despite a few nicks on the paint this guitar has suffered nbo damage. The strap buttons are solid and you could probably play it without the need for a backup, except it wavers in and out of tune at times. I would definitely recommend this guitar as a backup though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of music, from '70s rock, to Indie, to alternative rock. It's a fairly versatile guitar, good for beginners but if it were lost and stolen, I probably wouldn't buy another one. This is a very middle-of-the road guitar. // 8

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2005

Features: I don't know where it was made or in what year but I got it at a very good price in a package a guy made for me at guitar center. It has 24 frets and a rosewood fret board. It has a very nice body with almost no flaws except for a chip I made when I bashed it off my SG (d'oh) which by the way didn't leave a scratch on my SG. It has a nice metallica candy cherry red finish and two black humbuckers and black hardware. // 9

Sound: It has great sound especially with a good set of strings. I run it through a small Crate 10w but sounds even better on my friends frontman 15w. It is great for metal and thrash. It has a bright sound but can go really low and mellow as well. I'm thinkind about coupling it with a good pedal to get better sound ranges. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up great by the factory and had no flaws, except for my incident. The only really bad problem is the bridge. I would recommend not taking all of the strings off at once but I don't know if it would help. The problem is the springs which attatch to the bridge stretch out after going through some stress. I corrected this problem by cutting the springs to make them smaller and thus more tense but I suppose a new set of springs would help. This seems to be a problem with all the RG120's I have seen including my friend's and the used one I saw at guitar center. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable and would last and be good for shows the only problem is like I said the bridge but also the finish on the fretboard can wear off and become much lighter but you can fix this with a little polish. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar and easily matches up with my SG I would like I said fix the springs but this is no reason not to buy this guitar I would keep it even if the springs broke every month. If it were stolen I would definately buy another, maybe two. // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2006

Features: This has 24 jumbo frets which I like because of my longer fingers. It has a nice finish to it besides the fact that I got a feww scratches on it from my studded belt. I got it in the Jewel Blue finish and it looks nice. The Strat-like body is alright and its fairly heavy which I also like. I dont like the tremolo syste because it always knocks out of tune so I kind of retired that idea. The dual hums on this guitar are awesome I have played some heavy metal to rock, to some softer stuff with no problems. it has a 3 way selecter and 1 tone and volume knob not much for customization there. // 7

Sound: The guitar suits my style very well as I like to play a lot heavier stuff. I play it through a 120 watt Behringer V-Ampire amp and the possibilities are endless. I also use a DigiTech multi effect pedal which make this a very diverse sounding guitar. I get very faint buzzing when its idle but other than that I get no stray sounds or interference. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on this guitar was amazing when I got it. The dark blue paint with the black hardware really set it off. It has really good action and was easy to play from the start. The only problem I can say with the guitar is that the neck pick up screws came loose the first time I started to actually play it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played it live before and it did really well and being my only good working guitar I had to depend on it and it help up. The hardware is actually really good for the price paid and I have no problems with it. The finish is good and hasnt begun to fade yet. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is awesome and suits my needs perfectly. If I had a chance to go back and ask questions and get more intl on this guitar I think I still would have chosen it. If this guitar was lost I would definately go buy another one especially for the price. I played on my friends SG and the RG had way better sound quality than the SG so it's definately my choice. I would recommend this guitar for anyone that doesnt want to spend a lot of money for good quality. // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: ibanezrg120plyr, on july 29, 2006

Sound: This guitar suits any style of music really. I like playing a little bit of classic rock, metal, and blues. The different sounds you can get out of these pickups are amazing. I use a Line 6 spider 2 75 watt amp. For effects I use an acoustic simulator, Boss DS-1 Distortion, and a small clone analog chorus. There is a huge variety of sounds you can make with this guitar, from a mellow blues sound all the way up to a twangy country sound. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up extremely well at the factory, and the action on this guitar is just perfect. It is low but not low enough to cause any fret buzz. The only flaw on this guitar is that the pickups come unscrewed from the brace that holds them up. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very good in live playing, and has already been through a number of gigs. The hardware on this guitar seems like it will last forever, it was machineds and fit very well. The strap buttons are solid. This guitar is extremely dependable, I have played this guitar through all my gigs and my backup guitar is the same exact model. The finish was applied great and has yet to wear down. // 9

Overall Impression: I like playing a little bit of classic rock, metal, and blues. This guitar is a great match to any style of music. I have been playing guitar for 5 years. I own another rg 120, a yahama acoustic, and a Line 6 Spider 2 75 watt amp. For effects I use an acoustic simulator, Boss DS-1 Distortion, and a small clone analog chorus. There is nothing I wished that I had asked before buying this guitar, it was basically all self explanatory. If my guitar was stolen or lost I already have another one so I think I would be fine, except for some minor withdrawls. The thing about this guitar that I love the most is the action, it is just extremley good. There is nothing about this guitar that I hate. The things that I wish this guitar had are locking tuners, and floyd rose bridge. // 10

RG120 Reviewed by: cman138, on january 20, 2007

Features: I recently purchased an Ibanex RG120 from Guitar Center's grand opening in Lexington, KY. I got it on sale for a cool $99 but most run around $200-250. It has 24 frets with a rosewood wizard II neck. The body is made of agathis with two humbuckers; the stock INF3 and INF4. I found the humbuckers to be effective but had much gain and not sensitive at all so I replaced them with active Zakk Wylde EMGs. After I swapped the pickups I found the sound to be superb. The Standard tremelo is nice but it falls out of tune quite frequently. That and the stock pickups are the only falters. // 8

Sound: I play mainly power metal music with my band and when the EMGs were installed the guitar lost all hum it had with the INF pickups and became a superb instrument. I not only use it now for my band but I also for my school's jazz band with it now attaining the sound I wish to achieve. Great tone! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set fine when I purchased this guitar but even before I replaced the pickups the INFs were not close enough to the strings to provide a sensitive tone. Everything was in place though and all controls are put together nicely. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have and will again next week use this guitar to play Live and as long as you don't frequently dive on the bar it stays in tune nicely. All the hardware and equipment are very dependable and I was highly impressed by this fairly cheap instrument to be put together so nicely. I definetly can depend on this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: The only place this guitar would not fit in perfectly would be blues because try as I might I cannot attain that bluesy Strat tone from this guitar. It has a very deep sound to it, especially with the EMG pickups, that is prefect for all kinds of rock all the way to extreme death metal. I wish the guitar had locking tuners and/or a floyd rose system so the whammy would not Drive it so far out of tune though. I recommend this guitar to anyone on a tighter budget being the fairly inexpensive guitar it is. I also highly recommend installing EMG pcikups in this and/or alike guitars for the quality of tone went from average to amazing when they're installed. Thanks for your time, hope this helps someone! // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 18, 2007

Features: Well, after a few years with a Squire Strat, I wanted a new guitar. I didn't have a lot of money, so upon looking at websites for a good price, I found this. I am very pleased with my desision. Despite not being the best money can buy, it'll still keep you happy for a good long while. It's a 24 fret guitar, laminated top, with an opage body of either red, black, or white. You have the choice of volume, treble, bass, and distortion on your guitar. It has 2 pickups, and a floating tremolo, making tuning a hell of a lot easier. All you get is the guitar, so if you're just starting, and you can only spend about 300 for everything, keep looking. If you're an intermediate player, or a pro just looking for another guitar to have, get it. // 8

Sound: I was very impressed with the sound when I play it. I use a 15 Watt Line 6 Spyder III, which isn't the best amp out there, but it still gives this guitar an amazing sound. You can play anything from blues to metal on it, so the options are virtually limitless. If I'm trying to learn a new song, no matter what style it is, the RG-120 will contort to the sound, and do a good job of it. The sound on this guitar does not disappoint. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar off of the rack at the store, so it wasn't in a box. It was already tuned. I've tuned it to different settings a few times, and one of few problems with it is that tuning can be a bit tedious with it. Everything is set up nicely, and I have had no problems with it thus far, with the exception of a very rare de-tuning. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a beating. I've hit it against walls, cielings, and many other things (don't ask why I'm so violent with it) and it still doesn't have a scratch on it. If you're rough with your instrument, than this is a plus for you, because it can take a beating. I've had it for about half a year now, and it still sounds pretty much like the day I bought it. If you're worried about it crapping out on you at a gig, don't. It will last you. I'm doing a gig shortly, and I feel very relied upon by my guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play generally hard rock, but if there's anything else I need to play, the Ibanez RG120 will suit it. I've been playing for about 5 years now, so I know a good sound from a bad one. And this is a good sound. If it were stolen or lost, I would definetaly buy it again, because I love it to death. I love the variety of styles it can play, and the floating tremolo for tuning. I have yet to find a flaw with it. Great for an intermediate player. // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: Krauser, on december 23, 2007

Features: The Ibanez RG120 is a non Japanese (China, Korea and Indonesia) origin guitar with a Floyd Rose-style tremolo. When it comes to features, it is pretty straight forward. The model I purchased was a solid-top with a transparent red finish and I can tell you that the red in the picture on this page is not really what it looks like. It is a darker red and it actually changes in color slightly when you are in a lighter environment. It is an excellent color. You get the Ibanez Wizard II neck which is very thin and fast. Also, you get the signature RG double cutaway body style and signature RG headstock as well as 1 tone and 1 volume knob. It has 24 frets which makes it versatile and an INF3 passive humbucker in the neck position and a INF4 passive humbucker in the bridge with non-locking tuners and a 3 position selector switch. // 8

Sound: I play mostly rock and metal and for the price I paid for this guitar and the style of music I play, the sound is excellent. The bridge humbucker is very crunchy and sounds great for a stock pup. It is not as versatile as a guitar with a HSH setup but the middle selection for the pickups splits them into two single coils and you get a very clean, almost glassy tone, from them. Set to the neck position, you get a warm tone which is not too bright but not at all muddy. And in the bridge position, you will get a punchy sharp tone that cuts through and is very in your face. It is the position you will be in for most of the time if you play rock because it offers excellent punch. As for the tremolo, it is good and holds tune for a while. Just remember that the RG120 does not have locking tuners and locking bridge so don't expect it to stay intune when you divebomb on it or use the whammy bar but that is expected. If you remember to go lightly on the whammy, this guitar will stay in tune for a while. I haven't had to tune my RG for about a month now and am very impressed. It holds its own when playing rock and metal and the clean tones sound good also, but do have the pontential to be better of course. If you are looking to play jazz and blues, you should look somewhere else, but if you are looking to play metal and rock and are not looking to spend alot, look no further than the RG120. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar, as set up from the factory, was good. The pickups were well adjusted and the height from the strings was perfect. The action was also good; low and smooth with easy playability. The top was properly bookmatched and the bridge was properly routed. The guitar contained absolutely no flaws and was exceptionally cut and fit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have taken this guitar everywhere with me. This guitar feels, and is built like, a rock. Everything about it is excellent for the price and I would feel confortable taking this guitar to a Live show without a backup. I have No Doubt about this guitars reliability and durabilty and I am completely pleased with it. // 9

Overall Impression: Since I play metal and rock, this guitar suits me perfectly. I have been playing for about a year. I also own a black Ibanez RG2EX1 and that is also an excellent guitar. The finish on the RG120 is excellent and, with the RG body, it has killer stage presence. I get a lot of comments from people when I play it about how it looks and the shape. I have no regrets about buying this guitar and it was one of the best decisions I have made when it comes to purchasing an instrument in the 10 years in which I have been playing music. If this guitar was stolen from me or I broke/lost it, I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I love everything about this guitar, my favorite features being the fast and thin Wizard II neck and the sound I get from it. Compared to other guitars I have played in its price range, it is as good and surpasses most of them in the terms of playability, reliability, sound, and looks. The only thing I would have liked to have was 2 tone and 2 volume knobs insted of just 1 tone and 1 volume, but it is just something that I would have liked and, not having this, is not a reason to not buy it, just a personal preference. All in all, for the price, the Ibanez RG120 is an excellent guitar and I have nothing but praise for Ibanez! // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: Imme94, on january 14, 2009

Purchased from: The Music House

Features: I got this little number fromt his small shop my girlfriends friend runs. It's Japanese amde and it's great in my opinion. It has 24 frets on a thin fretboard which is great for quick solos. When you get to about the 21st fret they are a little bit small (or my fingers are really big! ) but with practice you can find the right spot to hit it. There is a three way selector and two knobs for tone and volume. You can have a whammy bar if you go out and but one. The problem with this is it becomes untuned if you do divebombs or just use it for a period of time (The quickest it's become detuned for me was two songs) I would have liked locking tuners and more knobs for more options but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too! // 7

Sound: This guitar is great for Metal and Hard Rock which is great because taht's mostly what I play. I play on different Marshall amps and the combination is perfect for Metal. The clean with this guitar is average. In my opinion it sounds best when you set the seletor the the neck pick up because it gives it a very warm tone. I don't like the bridge pickup setting it sounds way too poppy for me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It is a very strongly built guitar. There were a few dents and scratches but I bought used so that explains it. The action was the best I've seen so far and I used it as a starting point when I changed the action on my Esteban. I didn't find any flaws and it ran great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have dropped this guitar countless times and it still runs as good as the day I got it. The hardware is reliable and Looks as if it could last another year and a half at the least. The strap buttons are in a great position and were screwed on nice and tight. I would defintily depend on this for a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have stated before this guitar is great for Metal and Hard Rock and sounds good with punk and grunge songs aswell. If this one broke or were lost I would defintily replace it. The slim neck is great for quick playing and it's simple to use with a great tone. As I said there are some features which would make it a lot better (locking tuners and more tone control) But this is a great guitar for beginners and long time palyers! // 8

RG120 Reviewed by: rfcbeach, on july 17, 2009

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend.com

Features: This particular guitar was manufactured in the year 2000 in Indonesia, according to the serial number. This guitar features 24 jumbo frets, a rosewood fretboard, and a 25.5" neck scale for that trademark lightning-fast RG neck feel. It's top is laminated. This guitar has a comparatively lightweight agathis body and a maple neck. My model was purchased in solid black, with what appears to be a shiny lacquer on top. The body style is typical of all RG-series guitars, the trademark Ibanez Super Strat style. The bridge appears to be an Ibanez-designed Fender-style tremolo, named the FAT10. Not a Floyd Rose or Edge tremolo by any stretch of the imagination, it causes the guitar to fall out of tune VERY easily, as it is a non-locking tremolo. The electronics are all passive. With this guitar, you get a single volume knob, a single tone knob, and a 3-way blade pickup selector switch. The pickup configuration is double humbucker, featuring two noisy, but chunky Ibanez-designed pickups, an INF3 in the neck, and an INF4 in the bridge. The tuners appear to be Ibanez-brand and are non-locking. This guitar came with a tremolo bar, allen wrench, tremolo springs, and a guitar cable. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my playing style perfectly. The light, fast neck is perfect for playing blistering-fast leads, and the great (but noisy) pickups are great for metal (my playing style). I use the bridge for just about everything. Occasionally, for more soulful leads, I will use the neck pickup and roll the tone back, for the trademark "woman tone" that Eric Clapton and Slash love so much. When palm muting, the pickups sound very chunky, which are great for those metal breakdowns! The selector Switch is very noisy and tends to make the body springs vibrate. On a clean setting (through my Marshall MG10CD amplifier), this guitar sounds very bright and shimmery, great for Acoustic-like tones. The neck pickup is very full and rich. This guitar is pretty versatile, sound-wise. You can use the bridge pickup to play fast leads and rhythm chunk, or Switch to the neck pickup and roll the tone back for a beautiful Slash-like tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great right out of the box. Pretty much as close as you can get to the fretboard without getting fret buzz. The pickups were set up a little low on the body for my taste, so I raised them later for a little more kick. The pickups did become crooked over time. The one thing that really bothered me about this guitar was the tremolo. It's almost impossible to get from one tuning to the other without wonking your tremolo (or your tuning). The intonation knobs (with the allen wrench holes) came loose and fell out pretty quickly, never to be found again. The bridge was properly routed, although the bridge, when looking at it properly, was cocked to one side of the body. The controls were nice and tight, although the pickup selector is quite noisy and tends to vibrate the body cavity springs. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Personally, I've never played it live (soon though, soon), but I don't think this guitar would stand up to a Live gig, especially for the genre it's been designed for. I have No Doubt that something would come loose and fall out (the intonation knobs) or the tremolo would break. The guitar seems very likely to break in some way. The hardware seems to be leaning towards the "I'm not going to last very long" side. The tremolo is very crooked, the pickups are crooked, and the tuning knobs don't hold tuning very well. The strap buttons are solid, however. I can depend on this guitar when playing at home, but on the road, I would definitely play this guitar, but I would probably have another as a backup. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, I LOVE this guitar. It's a great match to my playing style. I have been playing about a year and a half. I own a Marshall MG10CD amplifier and an Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon Wah-Wah Pedal. I didn't buy the product myself, so I guess there wasn't much to ask before it was purchased. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably pony up for a much higher quality guitar later on (I've had my eye on the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR guitar). I love this guitar so much. I love the sounds I can pull out of the stock pickups, although I will probably upgrade to EMG pickups or a better guitar before this thing croaks. I can't stand for the life of me, the FAT10 tremolo. If I were ever to change anything about this guitar, I would either put a fixed bridge on it, or route a new cavity and install a Floyd Rose. My favorite feature of this whole guitar is the pickups. The sounds are so versatile that I can use it for everything from soft rock, to REALLY HEAVY METAL. I did not compare it to other products as I didn't make the purchase, it was kind of a surprise thing. If there's anything I wish it had, it would be locking tuning heads, an Edge tremolo, and active pickups. Other than that, this is probably the best bang for your two-hundred bucks! // 7

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2010

Features: The RG120 is the the base model RG. It has a rosewood fretboard with a 14" neck radius and 24 jumbo frets, a Fat 10 floating tremolo, and an agathis body. There are no locking tuners or locking nut on this baby, only the basic package. It has two Humbuckers, an INF3 in the neck and an INF4 in the bridge. A three-way pickup selector, one master volume knob and one master tone knob. That covers just about everything that is on this guitar. There is a nice square red killswitch right between the volume and tone controls fashioned in by yours truly. Unfortunately, this does not score points in features as it is not stock. It is the perfect beginners guitar. It is less expensive than a similar squire plus you get 3 extra frets to learn with. // 6

Sound: I play mostly punk rock and thrash. So the wizard neck is more suited for shredding. Keep this in mind if you are starting out as squires and juniors tend to have more rounded necks more suited for playing chords (9.5" I believe). However, This is the guitar I've started with and have been playing for about 2 years so a thin-wide neck is easier for me to play all around because that's what I'm used to. As for sounds, I mainly use distortion pedals however, I rarely use more than one at a time. I run this guitar to a Boss NS-2 "Noise Suppressor" >send> TU-2 "Chromatic Tuner" (output) > Barber Tone Press "Compressor > SD-1 "Super Overdrive" > BD-2 "Blues Driver" > MT-2 "Metal Zone" > DS-1 "Distortion" w/ 2 diode clipping mod >return> NS-2 "Noise Suppressor" >output> Blackheart BH-5H (Little Giant) w/ BH-110 cab. All the pedals are connected with self-made 5" evidence audio monorail patch cables. This guitar only gives off no noise when clean but gives off a little with distortion added, hence the NS-2. I usually play with the Tone Press, NS-2 and SD-1 on. I've raised the bridge pickup about 2 full turns to give it a snottier, more abrasive punk sound. It is very bright while also retaining the rounded out sound that humbuckers give vs. single coils. I would like to add a coil tap to be able to cut off one coil to get that "crashing against a metal trash can" sound that I can get from two spaced single coils but I haven't dove that far into it and it doesn't really bother me. The neck pickup seemed kind of harsh for where it was located so I lowered that about three turns and it now is noticeably quieter but gives a more mellow sound. When paired with the SD-1 I can get that "The Ballad Of Lizzy Scout" sound out of it. Just what I was looking for but I did have to adjust this myself. The killswitch is, after all, a killswitch and does give a noticeable clip on clean but cuts the sound nicely on distortion. But, this is something I've added myself so you won't get this with one you would purchase. All in all, this guitar is more suited to for playing more abrasive styles of music such as hard rock, metal and punk. It has a lot of crunch to it so keep that in mind. For me it is mostly what I want but not as versatile as my GnL. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know if I can really give an accurate rating on this because this category means nothing to me. Even if it was setup well by "standards" I wouldn't care as I am very in tune with how I like my guitars to play. I am very meticulous with how I setup my guitars and I don't trust that to anyone else. However, I will try... The action from the store I will describe as "playable". I was able to find out that the guitar worked and that was all I needed. I was looking for a cheap guitar to hone my DIY skills (killswitch) so this was perfect. The bridge was not setup properly and was resting against the guitar body making this a Strat style bridge. The string height was also a little high for my tastes. I will say this though. After I put in the killswitch, took off the 9s and put on 11-50s (standard E tuning), I fooled around with the bridge height, truss rod and bridge springs for two hours when I brought it home and I was able to get this guitar to play exactly how I've always wanted a guitar to play. This is the only guitar I've ever been able to get this done on. I would have given this category a 5 because that is how it came from the factory (it was also a floor model). However, I gave it a seven because how well it is setup at the factory doesn't mean as much to me as how well I can GET it to play when I'm done setting it up. For that it will be rated higher; but you can keep the former in mind if you are not a DIYer. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a freakin' tank. I feel like I could beat some with it and then play an epic song of victory, maybe slightly out of tune, afterwards. All the hardware on this thing seems solid but it does come out of tune often. Every time I play I have to tune it first. The nut on the top also binds the unwound strings (G, B and e). I never use the floating tremolo because it goes out of tune so much. That is a lie, I don't use it because that is just not how I play. I would prefer a fixed bridge but I can "fix" the bridge if I want to. I have No Doubt that I COULD use this at a gig without a backup (although a tuning pedal is a MUST), I wouldn't because that is just not smart in practice. But, if you don't have the cash then feel free; just don't forge the tuner! I have been playing this guitar exclusively for a year (I'll cover this later) and still no signs of wear other than where my belt rubs the back. This guitar would have scored very low for reliability but I would've given the durability a very high rating. My rating will reflect this. Keep in mind though, reliability is something you can, somewhat, forecast and incorporate measure to reverse and improve upon but durability is something that you are, relatively, stuck with. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar has scored very low due to me putting aside my personal feelings and trying to give an unbiased review. I hate how the top strings get bound at the nut but that can be fixed with a graphite nut. I hate how it comes out of tune all the time but that can be fixed with locking tuners. I hate the generic FAT 10 floating tremolo but I can lock down the bridge or dremmel out the cavity and fashion in a Floyd Rose. I started out with this guitar about 3 and a half years ago. I sold it after a year and bought one about a year and a half later. This one is the one I fashioned a killswitch into. In between that time I have owned a Schecter Damien FR, an Epiphone Les Paul Classic, and a GnL S-500. None of those guitars were able to make me enjoy playing guitar as much as when I play this one. Every day I get home and I am excited to play this thing. It plays exactly how I've always wanted and I have only been able to get this out of this guitar. This is, by far, the cheapest guitar I own and it Still Remains my favorite. I still own all of the above mentioned guitars but I play this one almost exclusively. I do play the GnL from time to time because I have that tuned to Eb standard and the pickups are fantastic. I play the Schecter sometimes because I have that tuned to drop C and I can't do that easily with 11-50s. I NEVER play the Les Paul, I hate that thing. If this guitar was stolen I would definitely buy another (white) one immediately and possibly a second (4th) one in Black. I absolutely LOVE playing this guitar. And it is not perfect by any means but all of the above mentioned problems take a back seat to what really matters with a guitar; HOW MUCH I ENJOY PLAYING IT. I can overlook those things because I have so much fun with it. When it come down to that it doesn't matter what it sounds like, what kind of hardware it has, what kind of features it has or anything like that. I can change all that relatively easily. My only gripe is that it doesn't come in yellow... // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: randomdude2010, on april 07, 2010

Features: So this guitar was made in Indonesia. It has 24 jumbo frets and a thin neck. Rosewood fretboard. It has a Ibanez FAT10 Tremolo and Dual open-coil humbucking pickups. Volume a tone knobs and 3 way pickup switch. // 8

Sound: This was my very first guitar and I think that the sound is great for bot a beginner or an experienced player. I used it for basic learning, all the way through playing heavy metal. Also for several months it was my guitar for playing live at my church in which I used clean tones with delay, reverb, and chorus effects. This guitar was great for ALL styles of music. The volume control is not that good though. The volume knob goes from 0 to like 5 when turning it from off to on so sometimes while playing quieter parts live at my church I would have to turn the volume down either on the amp or using my volume pedal. The dual coil pickups work well for clean songs, but it's certainly no Strat. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great out of the factory. Since I was a beginner when I got this guitar I didn't know much about action and pickup adjustments. As I got more experienced I realized that I needed to mess with the pickup height quite a bit to get the tone I wanted. Also this guitar snapped alot of strings until I realized that I needed to open the back and lower the tremolo tension so that the strings weren't holding it "floating" above the body too high and since then I haven't snapped any strings! Also note that this guitar goes out of tune very quickly. I'm surprised at how well they set this up in the factory other than the tremolo height/tension! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will indeed withstand playing live. It feels like a tank, feels like it will last a lot of abuse. One thing to know is that it is fairly heavy. The body feels rock solid (literally a blow to the head with this guitar will kill you! ) The strap buttons are very solid and yes it is very dependable. I've used it for playing live from August '09 till February '10 & I've only had 1 string snap on me while playing live in that period of time! I blame the old strings and the way my termolo was set up, but indeed I trust this guitar without a backup. The finish has lasted quite well. I have unbelievably sweaty hands and I'm amazed that the finish still looks good even with all that sweat all over it all the time! // 9

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, from clean Christian music to heavy metal and this guitar has been well rounded for all those styles. This was my first guitar and it's almost been a year since I've been using it along with Line 6 Spider amps! This guitar satisfied me for months, so no regrets on it. If it was stolen I definitely would NOT buy another one because I've moved on to Schecter guitars. Plus I never used the whammy bar so it was pretty useless. Also it goes out of tune very very quickly so that was a disadvantage. I love how for such a cheap guitar, the quality is amazing! When I bought it I didn't know much about guitars & I was on a budget. This one caught my eye in the store right away and so I just chose it on a hunch and it was a great decision! I wish it didn't have the tremolo that it has, because like I said, it goes out of tune very quickly. Also I wish it was less heavy. My Schecter Hellraiser C-1 has more stuff inside it and it's way lighter, so now that I put on the Ibanez it feels very heavy on me. // 9

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2010

Features: This guitar is a 25.5 inch scale, 24 fret guitar, with a decent neck. It is not as thin as the necks that Ibanez are known for. The body wood is agathis with a laminated top. The agathis wood is kind of heavy but ways about the same as a basswood guitar. My guitar came in Standard black finish bit Ibanez also manufactures it in white and candy apple. The body is about the same shape as a Fender Stratocaster but is far thicker. The bridge is Ibanez tremolo called the fat10. It is non locking which provides horrible tuning stability. The knife edges have wore down extremely easily. I no longer use the tremolo because even the slightest vibratto effect will send it out of tune. It also is not a recessed tremolo so the action can only be lowered so far. The pickups are passive ibz inf pickups. They do not actually sound that bad. They do not however pickup alot of the harmonics. They are great for metal and decent for clean tones but that is about all they can do. To control the pickups are one volume, one tone, and a three way pickup selctor. Tuners are Ibanez tuners and are not that great. With the guitar come a very cheap cable and the tools necessary to adjust the intonation, tremolo hight, tremolo arm hight, and truss rod. // 4

Sound: I play classic thrash metal ( kreator, sodom, slayer, metallica, exodus, testament ) and this guitar suits it well. The pickups are great for distortion and the bridge pickup offers a bright tone. Irun though a cheap Peavey Backstage 2 amplifier and a Boss metal zone distortion pedal and it souns pretty good. My biggest complaint is that is it noisy. I play with the volume knob completely open and it is very noisy. Even if I use only quarter of the distortion given to me I still get great feedback. This makes soloing tough and finger tapping very hard. As I said before, great for metal, heavy blues, hardrock, jazz, and it can produce some nice clean sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action came very poorly set up. It was extremely high and the truss rod was poorly adjusted asd well as the intonation. I replaced the stack strings with erne ball not even slinky drop tune strings, lowered the tremolo as low as it could go, adjusted the truss rod, and adjusted the intonation. Now it doesnt't play all that badly. Little fret buzz. The pickups were adjusted well ( after I adjusted them ) but the neck pickup continually falls down and has to readjusted every day. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I do not play in a band so I do not know if it will withstand live playing. The hardware is sturdy. The strap buttons are solid and are placed in a great posistion. I would never ever gig with this guitar because of the poor tuning stability. The finish will last a long time. The laminated top ensures that. // 6

Overall Impression: For thrash metal, this guitar does seem to match for a beginner guitar player. I habe been playing for one year and a week but at three hours a day, I am much more experienced than a average one year gfuitar player. My other guitar is a Dean playmate avalanche which has been lit on fire and is no longer playable. If it were stolen, I would buy another if I knew that I couldnt have abother guitar for a month or more. The list of things I wish it had are active emgs, edge zr-II tremolo with zsp3 spring system, sperzel locking tuners, thru-neck construction, scalloped frets, 17-24, my own paintjob... Yah this guitar sucks. // 5

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2010

Features: The Ibanez rg 120 is a Japanese made solid body electric guitar. It features an agathis wood body with a 24-fret rosewood fretboard on a vary thin and fast rg "Wizard II" neck, and a basic Gibraltar bridge. The rg 120 comes equipped with two reasonbly good open coil humbucking pickups that are controlled by 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, and a 3-way selector switch. // 8

Sound: Overall, this guitar has a very versitile sound and can play both clean and distorted sounds well. But its lower quality materials prevent it from having either a bright strat-like tone or a full, rich Les-Paul type sound, you might expect from the humbuckers. I am playing it through a Peavey Vypyr 15 amp and this makes a versitile and affordable combo for any beginner guitarist, Especially if you want to play hard rock or metal. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is exactly what I expect from Ibanez; quality on a budget. The guitar was very well set-up right out of the box, and has a wonderfully low action, that makes it super easy to play. The look of the rg 120 is very clean and classy. Mine is a high gloss black which looks great under stage lights. Very nice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely durable. Even though I take good care of my guitars I have bumped it a couple times and one time dropped it. There isn't a mark on it. The finish must be a mile thick. My only complaint is that the strap buttons don't seem to hold well. I definately recommend buying straplocks for all electric guitars, but especially for this one. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a fantastic beginner guitar. It is well constructed, is easy to play (even for small hands), and has a sound that can suit many styles of music. Best of all it comes at a great price. Buy this guitar to get started, and once you figure out what sound you want, get a guitar that suits that sound. // 8

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 24, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I bought the guitar used from some guy on eBay. The guitar was originally made in Indonesia. I has a flat, thin RG maple Neck with 24 jumbo frets and a Rosewood fingerboard. The body is made of Agathis wood with a Laminated Top. Slightly heavy as opposed to a Basswood body, but I don't feel much of a difference. It has a FAT20 Floating Tremelo Bridge, Infinity pickups, 1 Volume Knob, 1 Tone Knob, and a 3-way pickup selector. My purchase came with a gig bag, a cable, and 4 picks. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, and Screamo music, so this guitar fits all genres. I have this paired with a Line 6 Spider IV 15 Watt amplifier. It's not noisy in the least, even when I have a large amount of distortion on the guitar, it doesn't give me a large amount of feedback. It has a Rich sound, especially with my custom Insane Settings. The neck is very flat and since it has jumbo fets, you don't have to press down on the strings as hard. But overall, the guitar is very good. It doesn't matter what genre of music you play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Since the guitar was used, it had dust in a couple places, plus the body is covered in swirl scratches, but they're not noticable unless you are looking at it very closely. The action was perfect when it arrived. No buzzing on any of the frets. The pickups were set up nicely and sound great. The volume knob is a little sticky when turning it, but It's not a huge problem. The pickup selector doesn't give off a lot of noise. Since it is not a Double-Locking tremelo bridge, then the tremelo bar can easily fall out and I have huge trouble doing dive bombs. But the guitar does stay in tune for a long time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play in a band, so I wouldn't know if the Guitar can withstand a live performace, but I have a feeling you would be able to play through a show without having a back up. The hardware seemed like it would last a long time and the strap buttons are very sturdy. I have never had a problem with them. The finish will last a long time. Since mice has a glossy black finish, most scratches are more noticable than on a white finish, but overall, it won't wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar is perfect for the genre I play. It is reliable, easy to play, and very nice. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants an Ibanez RG without burning a whole in your pocket. It is a nice addition to my collection of Ibanez guitars. Buy it now! // 10

RG120 Reviewed by: Woffelz, on may 04, 2011

Features: This red superstrat guitar was purchased from Guitar Center when I was on holiday in the US and has the following features: - Agathis body - 24 fret 3 piece maple neck [Wizard II neck] and rosewood fretboard - 2 humbucker pickups [INF3 in the neck position and INF4 in the Bridge position] - 3 way pickup selector switch - 1 tone and 1 volume control - A FAT10 tremolo bridge I would have liked a black scratchplate and another volume and tone knob, along with a better tremolo. A different Bridge would have been nice, considering everytime I use the bar the guitar goes out of tune. Not much of a problem, considering I don't use tremolo bars much. // 8

Sound: This is my main guitar that I play metal on [thrash and power metal]. I use this guitar with my Roland Cube 15X amp on the Metal Stack channel. The pickups sound great through this amp and the tone definitely works well for the styles I play. I can get a fat, dark sound with the treble at 5 and with the bass at 8. A nice, punchy, bright sound can be made with the treble at a high setting and the bass turned down. The cleans are OK, but sounds too electric, even on the neck pickup. They are the best with the amp EQ at 120 o'clock. The lead tone on the neck pickup is brilliant. I really like the mellow sound I get from that while soloing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I do not think this guitar was set up very well. The intonation was out and the pickups were too low. I had to get out my screwdriver after purchasing to fix this. Everything else, including the action, was fine. The red finish looked great. Definitely eye-catching. The hardwear was fine too. I did not find anything wrong aesthetically. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would withstand live playing. It has endured an 8 hour flight and long car journeys, so it should be able to withstand gigs. I do not think I would need a backup at a gig with this guitar. The strap buttons are fine, but I put on some straplocks just to be on the safe side - I will not risk damaging this guitar. I've had this Ibanez for nearly 2 years, and the finish still looks great. I do clean it now and then to keep dirt away. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar definitely suits the styles of music I play [metal]. I've been playing for 4 years now and I also own a Stagg L350 and a cheap Strat copy. I play both of these with my Roland Cube 15X. Before I bought this guitar, I wish I played around with the tremolo more, as it goes out of tune easily [not much of a problem for me, considering I don't use tremolo bars much]. If this guitar was stolen, I would probably buy the same model again. My only wishes are that there would be a better tremolo, more volume/tone knobs and a black scratchplate. // 8

RG120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2012

Purchased from: Crazy Dave's music pawn

Features: This guitar was made in Asia some where I was able to trace its birth day to some where between 06-08. The RG has a agathis body in the RG body style with a red flake paint scheme, It has a maple neck/rosewood fretboard this is the best part about the guitar the neck is amazing nice thin and fast but the down fall of this guitar is the hard ware and electronics the pick ups are INF humbuckers most dull boring pick ups ever they are pretty HOT but very dull sounding. The worse part about this guitar is the fat 20 bridge it like a Strat style so no locking hence out of tune and it pain in the a&$ to get proper intonation. // 5

Sound: This guitar strangely besides it bad pick ups can sound very good at times. I play pretty much everything on the rang of classic rock to trash and some grunge I use a Peavey Rage 158 it's strong spot is heavy rhythm guitar specially in drop D. The guitar is versatile but not good in just some situations like if you want Led Zeppelin forget it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well since I bought it used a never got the factory set up but the guitar tech should get fired that all I can say. Any problem I've had I fixed the action can get very low there is a slight fret buzz on the low E string every so often but never transfers to the amp the hard is in pretty good condition The frets were fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have mixed feeling for this section while the guitar feels like you could use it as a axe and chop down a tree with it I have had a few problems with it. Like the tuning peg for the D string had some buffer fall now it seems like you need to wind it more ween restringing, the bridge pick has problems I kept having with the height adjustment scew fallout I'm just buying a new pick up anyways. I would gig with this why not its a great guitar. The strap buttons are ok with a new strap you won't have a problem. I love the finish it has a few scratches but not from me I don't know how you can even leave a scratch on it the stuff like burned on there. // 7

Overall Impression: Will in the search for the best budget guitar this wins in IMO. It plays metal the best I would say the guitar is a pretty good match with me I my favorite thing is the neck. The thing I hate is the pick ups. If it were stolen I would buy a better guitar but I would miss it. This is best budget guitar out there compared to the affinity squires and the low end Epiphones I would recommend it to any player who is looking for there first electric but more experienced player may turn there nose up to never the less I plan on modding it a bit. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 8.9 Electric Guitars 10/21/2014