RG140 Roadstar II Review

9.1
 8.9
reviews (3) pictures (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
RG140 Roadstar II Reviewed by: deibanez, on july 16, 2007

Features: I actually bought this guitar from a friend at school, she amazedly didn't play it like most kids Who never wanted one but has one anyways which amazes me. I did some back ground work on it and apparently it was made in Japan and I think it's and 87'. It has 22 frets which is a big relief compared to my acoustic, and it has the perfect neck, it doesn't widen toward the end and the frets are evenly cut, you fingers just graze it and it makes the most wonderful sound. Especially when C chord and a chord without the Amp on, my god it's like better than doing anything else. Five way selector which is unique if your trying out new stuff, and Tap and a volume knob. Not sure what type of tuner I have, I tune it by ear using my acoustic and that works well for me. // 9

Sound: Rock, most definitely rock, like every person on here really. It just goes well with the songs like Iron Man by Black Sabbath and ones like Smoke on the Water, which you could say those songs go with any electric guitar, just examples. Rich sound, clean, sort of fulfilling. I need a new Amp, some girl sold it on Ebay. Clean sounding. Has a rich sound, like it's happy to be here. You can compare to some of the more expensive guitars, it's absolutely worth having if that gets the point across. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I didn't buy it brand new, but the girl never played it, so like I said I doubt she would ever realize something was wrong with it, the wood is great it's maple wood and it has a fine texture to it, like what hardwood floor has type. The tuning pegs tick me off sometimes, you can't set it up against anything without un-tuning it which is why a guitar stand comes in handy. Controls fit fine, besides the tuning pegs it's in perfect working order. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Hell yea it'll stand live playing. It's about a two year old guitar, hardly ever played by previous owner, and yea I had to get the strings replaced but other than that and the stupid stickers the person stuck on it, it's extremely powerful. Oh if you need to get stickers off of it, (just in case, you never know) rub some cleaner on it, sort of like windex and wood polisher, it came right off, you can't even tell there ever was any. That would had been handy months ago. I would definitely use it without a backup, man this guitar is like the bomb, even without my Amp, you can still hear it loud and clean. Bloody brilliant. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing since last Christmas, but I'm a pretty fast learner when it comes to music. I own a Johnson blue acoustic, which hurts my fingers like the devil my fingers aren't tough but I love the damn thing, it makes the loudest, or softest, sounds. I also own a drum and a Marimba set. Yea I wish I would had asked the owner why the hell did she put stickers on it. If it were stolen, I'd probably buy me another Ibanez just because I like their style, but the same one? Probably not, they have ones out there I'd love to have. Favorite feature the neck. Wish it had an Epiphone black Strat look to it, that would be freakin awesome. // 10

RG140 Roadstar II Reviewed by: SteveArmourae, on august 21, 2014

Purchased from: reseller in Woolwich

Features: Built in the late 1980s in Japan. Japan is a byword for mass production but unlike Taiwan it's also noted for quality products. Many guitar companies who have overseas factories, their superior models are made in Japan. Fender have a fascinating (to me!) history of quality varying according to age and country. I found my RG140 Roadstar II in resale shop when I was living in Woolwich in London. She was hanging on the wall and as soon as I saw the name Ibanez I knew it would be my best purchase that year. The guys in the shop didn't know what they had, just describing it as "a good guitar" as I gave them £50!

Ibanez use what they call a "Duo-Sound" for coil-tapping the humbucker via the control knob. My Roadstar is one of the earlier 1983 models. Made using flamed maple wood and a Hard Rocker bridge. The neck is made of maple. The controls are limited to one tone and one volume knob. Wish it had more tone controls and a tone switch // 8

Sound: Fantastic sound on these guitars. None of that 1980's synthetic squeal that became popular with metal bands or a synthesized sound. The Roadstar gives a full, rich, meaty sound thats perfect for hard rock or metal for those who like their music to be real and honest and not played by posers on stage who are more interested in selling units and playing whatever will be played on commercial radio.

The guitar has a big sound the harmonics are complete from bass through to treble. It doesn't have the bottom timbre of a Gibson guitar, but at a fraction of the price this guitar can play everything from Cream and Mountain to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica or Slayer. It doesn't have a sweet sound and I don't use it for lyrical guitar solos. The best impression you can obtain of the sound is the Black Sabbath 1982 "Live Evil" album. Particularly listen to the "Paranoid" track when Tony Iommi launches into the guitar solo. Those opening notes give you a real idea of the Roadstar sound, although Tony is playing a type of Gibson SG.

I've found linking the Roadstar to DOD Death Metal pedal with my DigiTech Blues Screamer pedal unleashes the kind of awesome sustain that turns you instantly into Jimi Hendrix playing Voodoo Chile live. Hell there's live recordings of Hendrix and others with a great load of stacks turned up to 11 which fail to match the sustain of Roadstar with Death Metal and Blues Screamer pedals. The sound obtained with this combination is very end of the 1960s early 1970s guitar rock: mostly mid and low tones and top harmonics are altered into a distinctive retro slightly phased sound. There's no noise problems with this guitar even using my knackered Demon amplifier.

I've also found this guitar with a variety of pedals great at making noise metal: endless textured distorted and aggressive overlaying tones and harmonics, many will hate the sound but for a guitarist who wants to take a guitar to sonic extremes this will be hard to beat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There are over 60 models in the range. Mine is a red sunburst design. Volume and tone knobs are transparent yellow acrylic in a cookie cutter shape. Action is great on my guitar I've not had to make any adjustments on the bridge or the pickups. Neck was in perfect condition. The machine heads hold the strings in tune well. They are harder to turn than my other guitars but the advantage is they hold the tuning no matter how much the guitar is thrashed. The fretboard is very easy to play and preferable to the stratocasters and their copies. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Solidly built and plays well. No problem live or the vicissitudes of touring. One of the toughest guitars built. Totally reliable plug in and it will deliver the goods. Didn't have to make any adjustments so that speaks about the reliability in itself. Doesn't go out of tune when playing high fret solos, the machine heads are made so well as to cope with hard rock playing which the guitar was envisioned for. The jack socket is well mounted and has had no buzz or loosening problems which is what I've seen in the guitars. This maybe die to the design which is washer and hexagonal socket perpendicular to the guitar body instead of the more common angled new with a metal flash you see on stratocasters. // 10

Overall Impression: In your hands this guitar has that physical and tangible feel you associate with a bass guitar, and a feel I wish most guitars had. It's perfect for rock and metal unless you're a hair metal band more worried about your makeup than thundering out chords and solos that herald the Apocalypse. This goes well with my cheap amps making them perform in a manner that wouldn't be expected from them. I love the fretboard and the quality of the pickups but I wish Ibanez had included a tone switch and another tone knob. If I lost it I would immediately replace it with another Roadstar II but preferably with a similar model with all the additional tone controls. // 10

RG140 Roadstar II Reviewed by: Hawkthenight, on february 09, 2009

Features: I know it sounds funny, but my mother gave this to me. It was made in Japan, in the early 1980s, there are 22 frets, I think a maple neck (not sure it's very hard to tell). it's a solid top, obviosly it's electric, the pickups are located (on the guitar if you don't already know) right at the beginning of the neck, andthen the middle of the body, both in sets of two ( looks like thes || || [neck]). The tuning keys were made again by Ibanez, and still work like new (even though they have been used for years). If you want to know more just email me at. // 8

Sound: The sound is exactly my syle, loud rich, full, with a lot of BANG to it if you know what I mean. I use a little Squier sp-10 amp while I'm at home ( as to not wake any one up, and blow their eardrums). I usually play hard rock, metal songs. I really just fool around and learn cool intros or solos, I make a little of my own music, using a bass guitar I make something up that sounds ok, then I make a version for it on guitar, then finish it off with a cool drum tone ( if you think I forgot the lyrics, I didn't, I don't touch those, I only agree to them [The gf]). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well when I got the guitar it was ready to play (tuning excluded)there is a litle mess up with the wires from it sitting for years, so the rear pickups don't always work, but when I have a chance I will fix it. I'm going to say this the way it is, the guitar rocks, I rock with it and it's really good to play on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: yes, my and my band (World Revolution) play shows at a school we go to, like I said before the rear pickups are a little screwy but that can be fixed easily, and nothing has been replaced, except for the strings. I think it would definatly hold up Live, at a big gig, but any good guitarest knows the limits of his guitar, and knows it's always good to have backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I normally play hard rock, metal that sort of thing, but sometimes I go a little softer (catch my drift? ) like sweet home alibama. With what I play, it holds up really well. If this guitar got stolen, I don't know what I would do, I mean I would put out a reward for it, I would search for it. This guitar has something no other guitar has, or will have, The Love Of Family. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014