RG1451 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/24/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG1451
This guitar is a 2010 Japanese made RG prestige. As with most RG series guitars it has a basswood body. It has Ibanez's tight-end Bridge which is great. No sharp edges, low profile, and overall is very comfortable to play on.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 9.5
 9.3
 8.7
reviews (2) pictures (5) 6 comments vote for this gear:
RG1451 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This guitar is a 2010 Japanese made RG prestige. It has 24 frets on a 5 piece maple/walnut neck. The scale length is 25.5". As with most RG series guitars it has a basswood body. It has Ibanez's tight-end Bridge which is great. No sharp edges, low profile, and overall is very comfortable to play on. It has a H-S-H configuration with Ibanez's V6F in both the Bridge and neck position and their RTS single coil in the middle. // 10

Sound: I play many different styles of music and this guitar fits all of them. I play it through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with an Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah pedal. It has amazing sustain which I think has a great deal to do with the tight-end bridge. The pickups that come on this are amazing. They are very deep in the Bridge and bridge/single coil position without being muddy what'soever. I love the coil tap being in the toggle switch. The bridge/single coil and neck/single coil position both split the humbucker so that you play with the single coil and the inside coil of the humbucker. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box the action was decent but for me I needed to lower the action. I do that with all guitars though because I do a lot of lead and I like to have it as close to the fretboard as possible. Usually you can get it low enough to where there is fret buzz when playing unplugged but it doesn't come through the amp. As far as pickups, I didn't adjust anything. The height was great, the poles didn't need adjusted. There were absolutely no flaws with the guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: You should never play without a backup cause breaking a string is always a possibility. This guitar could take a beating. Everything on this guitar could take any abuse you could ever put it through and then some. I've worked at a music store for quite awhile doing repairs on guitars and I've seen that a common need of repair are the strap button screws stripping out. I have had to fix that on mine but its a very easy fix. Simply put a couple toothpicks in the hole and screw the screw in and remove any extra. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before I play all kinds of different styles of music and this guitar is great for all of them. I've been playing for about 6 1/2 years now. I play through my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier half stack and Ibanez Toneblaster Combo amp. If it were stolen I would definitely get another. I have played many different brands of guitars and Ibanez is definitely one of the best and this guitar is one of the best from Ibanez. // 10

RG1451 Reviewed by: BOER777, on june 24, 2011

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: Ibanez RG1451 Prestige, made in 2010. Made in Japan. It has 24 frets, Scale 648mm and Length 25.5" Has a 5pc Maple/ Walnut neck, jumbo frets and Rosewood fingerboard. The RG1451 has a basswood body, and mine is black finish (night crow) This guitar is hardtail, and features a tight end bridge. V6F Bridge and Neck pickups (humbuckers), RTS single coil for middle pickup. Only thing that could have been better is the black pickguard, it looks bad in the photos but actually in real life looks really decent. Personally I would have preferred if it was a solid, no pickguard black design. But overall very cool design and good looking. // 9

Sound: This guitar is awesome for most music styles, and suits my playing style very well. I play mostly metal and rock, with abit of blues and jazz inbetween. I use an Engl Screamer 50 combo, which makes this baby sing! Clean: The guitar has a very unexpected good, deep sound with awesome sustain. The chords ring out clean, and reminds me off a warm, full Fender type of clean sound. The neck pickup is where this guitar shines, while the Bridge pickup has abit of a trebly punch, almost harsh. The neck pickup is excellent for chord work and rolling back the tone knob, you can achieve quite some nice jazz tones. The single coil reminds me off a tele twangy sound, excellent for funk or blues. Distortion: this is where this guitar comes to live, I expected the pickups to be bad ( Ibanez not popular for very good stock pickups), but to my surprise they actually sound really decent. Leads are smooth and not trebly, a bit of bite to it. (reminds me of a evolution or breed). Riffs come across nice and punchy, and pinch harmonics aren't to hard to get. With the neck pickup you can get very smooth and warm sounding tones, almost like an air norton. Overall, with the 5-way pickup selection, you can achieve a big variety of sounds, and the stock pickups really aren't bad at all! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well, action could've been abit lower but still very well setup. The pickup high was adjusted just perfect, producing a nice full sound. From what I can see, this guitar had no bumps or scratches, no loose screws or anything. The black finish shines like a mirror, only thing I wish they didn't include is the black pickguard, (maybe a solid although it looks better in real life than on the photos. Almost perfectly set up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar looks pretty solid and looks like it can withstand a few blow. I've dropped this one accidentally from about 1 1/2 m high and all I got was a little scratch on the back body part. I've played numerous small gigs with this guitar and has not disappointed me yet. The hardware is solidly built and looks like it will last a long time. The strap buttons could have been a little bigger and wider, but at the moment it will do. The guitar stays in tune exceptionally well, never had tuning problems with this guitar. I still tune it every time I play(habit), but it's almost spot on every time. Like everyone knows, you shouldn't gig without a back-up, but if I had no choice I'd use this at a gig without a back-up without to much worry. All in all this guitar looks very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years and from my experience, this guitar looks and feels very good. The sound from the stock pickups are very decent and this guitar produces awesome lead sounds. The neck feels very smooth and easy to play on, the easiest neck to play on from my experience and I've played ALOT of guitars. Only thing that would have made this guitar perfect is maybe a set of DiMarzio stock pickups (since its a prestige) but the stock pickups didn't disappoint me! All in all a very nice guitar with good looks and awesome playability! So what can we take from this? Ibanez should make more HardTail Prestige guitars! // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014