RG1520A Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/24/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG1520A
This guitar is a 2009 limited run. For metal, it is great (like all Ibanezes). I chose Ibanez for the sheer playibility of it.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 9.1
 6.8
reviews (2) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RG1520A Reviewed by: BFMVRocker, on november 01, 2011

Purchased from: OnStage Music Factory

Features: This guitar is a 2009 limited run, so there is not much point in writing this review but still. As I have said its a 2009 edition, so I think it was made in the same year & made in Japan as all the Prestiges are. 24 frets, jumbo I think & the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. Basswood body. Normal finish, nothing fancy. Its a superstrat like all RGs. Has an Edge Pro which I think is as good as if not better than a Floyd Rose Original. I never knew about the pains of a locking trem but that's a problem with every locking one. Passive electronics. Tone & vol knobs with a 5 way selector. DiMarzio IBZ pickups (H-H) & tuners must be locking & they are Gotohs. The guitar comes with the Prestige case & the Prestige key but I didn't get the key, unfortunately. // 9

Sound: My genre is metal. Period. And its damn good with it. Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold blah blah blah. I play it through a Line 6 Spider III 15. The sound isn't to good due to the amp, but I think the guitar would do good with some nice tube amp. I don't have any units. The sound of the guitar is really really good. Nice warm clean & bright & full overdrive. Both pickups are terrific. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it from a store so the set-up was done then & there. I inspected every damn thing in the store before buying. The pickup selector is a noisy one though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar feels like it is a real sturdy one. Every thing seems excellently built. BUT, the finish gets scratched by the pick but the scratches are only seen when held against light. A 9 because of the locking trem problems. // 9

Overall Impression: For metal, it is great (like all Ibanezes). I've been playing for almost 4 years & I also own a Cort X-1 which is a decent guitar. I would not let it get lost but if it was stolen, I wouldn't buy again because if I have another chance to buy a new guitar, I would try something else. I compared it to a million other guitars. JEM 555, Jem 505, JEM JR, RG2550Z, non-Prestige RGs, S570, Schecter Synyster Gates Custom, Hellraiser C-1 FR, Blackjack ATX C-1 FR, Damien Elite-6 FR, Dean MAB1 & MAB3, Dean Dimebonics ML. I wish it had a killswitch & a matching painted headstock. I chose Ibanez for the sheer playibility of it, but if you want something that will turn heads, look at something else. // 8

RG1520A Reviewed by: jaal, on april 24, 2013

Purchased from: Local store

Features: 2009, limited run, 24 jumbo frets, super-thin basswood body, superstrat style, edge pro tremolo, DiMarzio-Ibanez PUs, in short: GREAT! Only problem: 5-way selector get noisy with time, I have to clean it about twice a year. It has non-locking Gotoh tuners, they work just fine. It came with a hard prestige case, which is very good. It was made in Japan by the JCraft Team and came with tools and owner's book, I think it would be great to have some extra (strings, cable, strap), but it didn't have any. I bought it 2 years ago and I'm really happy with it. // 9

Sound: I play most blues and heavy metal (Clapton, Cream, Deep Purple, Gary Moore, etc.), and I think this guitar is a do-it-all, it all depends on the selector position, volume and tone, it can scream as loud as a Les Paul and whisper as soft as a Strat. I play it through a Blackstar ht club 40 tube amp and a DigiTech RP 1000 multi-effect pedal, and I get a rich sound, DiMarzios with a tube amp work just great, sometimes, I use nothing but the tube amp and it's two channels, and the guitar still sounds great. I also played it through a friend's Egnater Tweaker and a Fender Blues Deluxe, and sound only gets better. I played it through a PA system, and obviously sound wasn't as great, but was nice, clean and not bad at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had the guitar just out of the box and play it and get a great sound out of it, but it came with 09s strings, when I switched to 10s, I had to take it to a pro to set it up again. Action is good and low, it allows me to go very fast. The only work I have to do about twice a year is to clean the selector switch, which get noisy when dirty/rusted. Finish was wonderful at the beginning, now you can see some pick scratches, I would like to have some way to protect it, or to fix it, a pick guard would be a good thing, but guitar looks awesome as is without it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar is fully dependable, is well built and has no flaws, the hard case is also a good thing, will keep it safe on tours and gigs, any way, is a good idea to put some good strap locks to it. I don't think electronics will fail at any time, they are really well built. I installed Schaller strap locks to it, it's something you should do to all your guitars. Anyway, it's always a good idea to have a backup, but, in case you don't have another guitar, I think this one will get you through your gig with no complain. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will fit almost any music style you play (maybe except jazz), from the softest ballads to the hardest rock, it's good for riffs and solos, I just like it a lot. I play since I was 17, and that is mmm, about too long! Lol. I also have a '87 US Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul 2012, and my 1520A fits right in the middle. If it were stolen, I would get too sad, because this is a Limited Edition, so, I won't find another like this. I really like this guitar, but I have to say that a friend of mine who only plays blues, don't like it as much as I do, he goes with tone all way down, and he says he would like to go even lower, but the guitar doesn't have that option. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014