RG1527 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 05/23/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG1527
This is the 7 stringed prestige RG. It has 24 frets and a bolt-on neck, basswood body, passive pickups 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and a 5-way selector, Edge Pro 7 with locking tunes.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 7.8
reviews (7) pictures (4) 23 comments vote for this gear:
RG1527 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2005

Purchased from: Dirk Witte Amsterdam

Features: This is the 7 stringed prestige RG (Japan made). It has 24 frets and a bolt-on neck. It has basswood body. Silver finish. Passive pickups (can change them to actives of course) and you have 1 volume knob, one tone knob and a 5-way selector. It has a Edge Pro 7 with locking tunes (never goes out of tune while using the whammy bar). For 14 years, the RG has reigned supreme as the king of heavy rock guitars - despite the constant revolutions in music that deposed less powerful pretenders to the throne. Why? Because when you want pcikups that cut through the room, the RG rules. When you need a neck that's thin, flat and fast, the RG rules. When you desire a lightweight body with sexy, comfortable contours and cutaways, the RG rules. But when it's time to play, you rule. - Body: basswood - Bridge/Tremolo: Edge Pro 7 - Fingerboard: rosewood - Frets: 24 jumbo - Inlays: pearl dot - Neck: Wizard-7 Prestige. // 10

Sound: I play mainly progressive metal on this. Trough my Behringer V-Amp 2.0. The standard pickups are a bit muddy, and not really powerfull. So I can definatly recommend to change them. I can play any style I want on this guitar, it sounds good with any amount of gain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Ibanez is famous because of it's fast action and uber fast necks. And this one isn't different with that. It's great. I love it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware will go on for a couple of years (10 or so) and everything is solid. I use it for gigs as well. // 9

Overall Impression: I play progressive metal on it and it fits really well. But, only get a 7 string if you already have a good 6 stringed guitar, you sometimes feel like to play on a 6 string, but you simply can't, because you only own a 7 string. So get a 6 string first, then get this monster. // 10

RG1527 Reviewed by: Titus777, on august 14, 2006

Features: Ibanez RG Prestige 7 string model. Made In Japan. 24 frets and a bolt-on neck. Solid Basswood body. Mine is a blue with a slight touch of green on it. Standard Passive Pickups with 1-Volume 1-Tone selector. Edge Pro 7 with locking tuners. Comes with a very nice Ibanez Prestige Team J Craft hardcase (fits perfectly and can only fit the guitar). // 10

Sound: I play Progressive Metal, Neo-Classical with this guitar (Rusty Cooley, John Petrucci, and the likes). Running this Guitar through my Boss GT-6 to my Marshall AVT-150. The guitar is great but the pickups are questionable. Plan to change the pickups to EMG's or DiMarzio's depending on how fast I can save for it. it's muddy and not as powerfull as I expect it to be. But the stock pickups are bearable and won't dissapoint. A change is definate if you're a person Who values tone and power. Not much difference between the Neck and Bridge Pickup. Neck pickup goes muddy when gain is up and the low B-string is played a lot. Bridge pickup lacks the bite and has no power to it's sound. Clean sounds are ok and nothing to shout about. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: I had a techincian to do minor tweeks to it. It came with 3 springs at the back and added another one. 5 springs make the trem too hard to play with. 4 was just nice to keep it in better tune and stability. Had some intontion check and changed the action as it was slightly higher then usuall. Neck feels great but Ibanez didn't do a great job to the minor details. I can see extra wood used at the headstock. The paint around my pikcup has a very small blotch. Not really noticeable. All in all still a good job. I'm just picky when it comes to these things. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Definately will if you can stand the weight as it is slightly heavier then a normal guitar. Still haven't prepared enough for a real gig yet with this guitar so I cannot comment on it yet. Strap buttons are solid. I would use it on a gig without a backup. Finish looks as if it can last forever if properly taken care of. // 9

Overall Impression: I play nearly everything and this guitar fits it well. With the right pickups this guitar can definately play anything if you know how to. I own an Ibanez S cutomized by me and a Fender Highway 1 also customized by me and the RG7 is different. This guitar gives you the extra string and that really opens up possibilities to your playing. The 7 stringer can play what a 6 stringer can and more. If it was stolen or lost (which I will make damn sure it won't) I'll definately get it back. I Compared it with the Hamer 7 string and still went for this because of the neck. The neck is truly important as it makes the transaction from 6 to 7 a lot easier. Wish it had better pickups. After playing a 7 string, when you return to a 6, the 6 will feel like a toy and feel much moer easier to play (for me). It would take some time to get used to it but when you do, it'll rock hard. // 9

RG1527 Reviewed by: chrisbeevor, on june 20, 2007

Purchased from: music123.com

Features: The 2006 Ibanez RG1527, in an exclusive (and cheaper ;D) gloss black, courtesy of music123.com. Being an Ibanez Prestige, it was made by the notorious Team J Craft (In Japan), once more proving themselves to be workmanship wonders. The 1527 features 24 jumbo frets, on a 7 string scale with a rosewood board (Pearl dot inlays) and a 5 piece Wizard prestige 7 maple neck for those super flying fingers we all dream of! The body is solid basswood with a bolt on construction neck. The finish as mentioned before is a gloss black, making a change from the Royal Blue that this guitar is usually supplied in. The body is the infamous RG shape, and for those Who somehow are yet to discover the RG, it's basically a typical superstrat. The bridge is an Edge Pro 7, a licensed Floyd Rose manufactured by Ibanez which is seemingly becoming their most used model on their top guitars, the Edge Pro 7 recently making an appearance on the Universe (Steve Vai's 7 signature) and it's six string counterpart on the Jem. The electronics are stock Ibanez pickups, but let's face it, they aren't gonna stay! The controls you get on this guitar are one volume, one tone, and a 5 way Switch (which has all sorts of controls over the tone considering it's only HH configuration) The tuners are gotoh but are rendered irrelevant a lot of the time due to the locking nut system. As far as accessories go, Ibanez don't fail to provide you with all you need to get this baby roaring! One Prestige hardcase, more tools for the floyd rose than you can shake a stick at, spare barings for the Edge pro arm and with a manual so big it that makes you wonder if Ibanez have anything to do with deforestisation! *gasps* A lot to take in right? Now, for the rating on this, I was split for. The guitar is perfect in specification, but lacks a few features that I think could have given it some real edge being: Dimarzio pickups (Or possibly another brand with equally good tone) And a HSH configuration But I suppose Ibanez are just trying to distinguish the Universe a little right? ;] Anyway, I've given this a 9 but I suppose an 8.5 may have been more just. // 9

Sound: Now as I stated earlier, the stock pickups weren't gonna stay long, however I played with them enough (whilst waiting a few weeks for my to spanky new Dimarzios to arrive) to give you an idea of what they were like. And that basically is, average. They weren't bad, at all. On the whole, they were tolerable, possibly quite satisfactory pickups. But then Who wants something that's JUST satisfactory? Not me! I wanted to achieve Vai's biting tone, and Petrucci's low end riffs, and feel that real seven string power, but also people to back the gain off, and play some jazz. So I got me a Blaze Custom for the bridge and an Air Norton for the neck, and those babies brought the guitar to life! I run through an all valve Laney amp, using pretty bog Standard effects pedals, an MXR ZW44 overdrive being the main Drive behind my gain. Clean it has a nice melow jazz tone on the neck, one of the switches settings being able to split the coils and make it even cleaner with a slight, dare I say it, telecasterish sound?! But yeah, clean it is more impressive than you would assume, seeing as this guitar was clearly intended for super low metal riffs. The Blaze Custom on gain has a very high output, distinctive, perfect metal lead tone, and definitely with a few setting tweaks, gets you that Vai lead tone, along with the Dream Theater sort of rhythms, and also being able to achieve a Nevermore sort of tone (Well Chris Broderick used one!) Again, the Air Norton on gain can help you to achieve that Passion and Warfare "For the Love of God" tone alongside Petruccis leads. I've used this guitar for a lot of A level performances, having to play songs as Sweet Child O' Mine, Jazz pieces (Fly Me to the Moon) and progressive instrumentals such as Building the Church or Glasgow Kiss These pickups for me turned the guitar into a beauty, and helped me achieve the tone I wanted, but the electronics have to be changed in my opinion, to get the best out of this guitar. Now, as the sound I presume mainly comes from my modification, with it, I would give it a 9.5, based on the fact that it didn't have a single coil. Without it, It would probably achieve about a 7, but the guitar has the potential sound amazing, it's the electronics that didn't, So I will give it an 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was perfect to be honest, the action can keep going down and down! I thought my RG2550 was out of the box satisfaction until I got this. It is truly heaven to play. The pickups needed to go up a little, but what's the deal? It's just a few turns of a screwdriver Now finish is where I have a few problems with this guitar, but BARE in mind, I had an exclusive finish, not the typical one and I think it is solely a problem with the gloss black. There is a noticable line in the finish which is visible when reflections appear on the guitar. It's not a major problem, but I'm not sure if it should be there. And also... actually, I'll come back to this in durability.... The neck is perfect as per usual of Ibanez, and is finished and matched well, but there are no flaws otherwise in the guitars construction, so I think the score shouldn't be reflected on appearance, as I am being veeery fussy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does withstand Live playing except one thing: The gloss black, chips like a bitch. I'm not fussy and perfect about my guitars, but I've never seen a guitar chip like that. It's definitely nothing deeper than paint, and having done research I found out it is an issue with gloss black (Explaining why Ibanez typically operate in metallic only these days). But again, what is paint? The hardware I know will last, it's the same as on my other Ibanez and that has done me proud. Having said that, a red piece of plastic broke quite randomly out of the back of the tremolo. Having taken the back off, I found out this is what holds the ball ends in place in the bridge. Although the functionability of the tremolo was not affected, I'm still curious what caused it. The strap buttons I standardly replaced to strap locks due to paranoia of dropping this beauty, but the original ones were perfectly fine, and I'm sure would have lasted. I would never gig without a backup when using a guitar with a Floyd Rose. If a string breaks, tbh, you're screwed, but I trust this guitar and I love it, even though there have been some minor issues. // 8

Overall Impression: Now I'm a guitarist of 3 years now, taking my grade 8 theory and playing, being primarily self taught until the last year or two, studying under two teachers (one being the guitar professor at most English universities of music). As I study music and play in large ensembles of all sorts, a guitar has to be able to cover every corner for me, from death metal to jazz, and this is another guitar that does it. I have a large selection of gear to run it through, but I pair it up most frequently with the ZW44 and the Laney LC15 or 30 to get the basis of my tone. I have no regrets about buying this product, I don't think I could have entered the seven string market in a better way, and in specs, this is very similar to the more expensive Universe, once the electronics are changed. There is nothing I hate about this guitar, apart from the fact that it's one more string to change ;] I just love the feeling of an Ibanez in your hands, it feels so natural, and the Low B definitely adds a new dimension to my playing. The product I compared it to was my RG2550, as it is basically the reason I chose to get another Ibanez, but this time I wanted a 7. And it shows that Ibanez are consistent in their quality. Furthermore, on written spec, I compared it to an Ibanez Universe and a Musicman Petrucci 7, as they were basically what I wanted from 7 strings and with a few tweaks, this guitar definitely matched those. But as I said, I wish it had a single coil, then I think it would be unstoppable! But yeah, bar a few minor hitches, out of the box this gets a 9... with a few mods, 10 or more definitely. // 9

RG1527 Reviewed by: Raziel2p, on march 27, 2008

Features: Ibanez Prestige RG-1527 Royal Blue, 2005 model. Made by the J-Custom team in Japan. 24 jumbo frets, Wizard III 5-piece maple/wenge neck, basswood superstrat body, Edge Pro floating bridge, double-locking tremolo system. Stock Ibanez pickups, V7-7 and V8-7 with coil tap and split, 5-way pickup selector, tone and volume knobs. Gotoh non-locking tuners. Usually comes with an Ibanez Prestige case, mine included a manual, some allen wrenches and the tremolo bar. Nothing missing. Came with a set of 09-52 D'Addario (I think) strings. // 10

Sound: Played through a Keeley Electronics modded Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9-DX - a great overdrive pedal, in my opinion, into a Vox AD100VT. Certainly not the best amp on the market, but I managed to get the sounds I wanted out of it. I play metal, and usually go for a death-metal sound similar to Entombed or Carcass, but play a variety of genres. The pickups had no problems doing distortion, but they were extremely muddy. It took a lot of tweaking before finding a setup where I had decent distortion without the notes getting lost in the mud. This was only a problem when playing metal, if I didn't go for a distorted sound, the pickups did fine. I'm especially fond of the coil-split, which sounded very acoustic, but people Who buy 7-strings are usually focused on the heavier genres, so the pickups won't do it. A pickup change will solve this, though, and I suspect Ibanez has just put on these cheap stock pickups so that people can choose the pickups themselves. The potential in this guitar is great, and you can make it sound extremely good with a pair of good humbuckers in it. I don't feel the stock pickups ought to ruin the score of this guitar, but leaving the choice of pickups up to the consumer isn't very friendly on those Who doesn't have experience with pickups beforehand. I'm giving this a 9, but the only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because there's not one pickup that's objectively the best fit for this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was, as always is the case, rather poorly set up. The bridge was tilting, the guitar was completely out of tune etc. Nothing new here. Once adjusted, you can get quite a low action without much fret buzz. It's a dream to play, when well adjusted. The neck is thin, but I like that, and it's very comfortable for me to play. The only thing I can say is annoying about playing the guitar is that sometimes the tremolo springs start vibrating and make a buzzing noise, but I assume that happens to every floating bridge tremolo now and then. I just strech the springs a bit and it's usually gone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about a year, and it's been through a lot. I've managed to drop it on the floor, and I've put the bridge back into the routing so poorly that it actually just slipped into place when I was playing, making a really unpleasant sound, but it's survived it all without as much as a scratch, and it still plays perfectly. The strap buttons are extra wide, so I haven't needed any straplocks, which I suppose has to be a good thing. The finish is just as pretty as when it was new. I've never had a string snap on me, so I would without a doubt use this guitar without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've played the guitar for over 4 years now, although only seriously for about a year and a half. For metal, this guitar is going to sound noisy, messy and muddy with the stock pickups, but you'll have a lot of choices, buying the specific pickups you're after. The wood of this guitar is of top quality, and it's got a lot of potential, I've witnessed other guitars of the same model using different pickups, and they all sound great in their own way, which is the main reason I've never gotten around to picking a set to buy myself. If there's anything bad to say about this guitar, it's that the Edge Pro tremolo seems a little stiff compared to other Ibanez tremolo systems, but I hardly ever use it, so it doesn't bother me. I might've bought a fixed bridge version of this if it was accessible to me, but it only means I've got to spend more time tuning the guitar, which is just good experience, anyways. This guitar is the main reason I've improved so much the last year, because it's so fun and easy to play. The feel of the neck is superb, and the 7th string adds so much fun without preventing you from playing songs made for the Standard 6 strings. I'm sure that once I put in some better pickups, it'll last several more years and keep on being an inspiration for me to improve and continiue to play the guitar. // 9

RG1527 Reviewed by: EpiExplorer, on july 21, 2011

Features: - 5pc Maple/Wenge neck - Wizard-7 Prestige neck type - Basswood Body - Jumbo Frets - Rosewood Fretboard - Edge Zero tremolo Bridge w/ locking nut - V77 Humbucking pickup - V87 Humbucking pickup (both passive) - 25.5" scale - Oh, and 7 strings - Comes with Custom hardcase, tools and manual (tools for trem) The humbuckers are controlled by a 5 way selecting Switch and can select between neck, parallel neck, both pickups, split singles on both, or Bridge pickup. The V87/V77 are Ibanez brand passive pickups made for 7 strings, they have a good enough response and don't sound too shabby (despite Ibanez horror stories), although we'll get back to them later. The trem is fine when it works. Not being much of a shred player or lead player, I don't use the trem that often, but its easy to use push-in/pull-out system for the arm and the obviousness of the adjustment controls makes it easy enough to live with, if time-wastingly fiddly. It looks... Well, it looks like an Ibanez. Nothing offensive, nice colour shade, sleek design and the headstock is sexy. Not much to improve on, but its a little drab compared to other guitar models. // 8

Sound: I'm primarily a metal guitarist, but I'm steadily working on acoustic-ish prog rock which involves a lot of clean guitar sound. For metal, the RG is fantastic as a 6 string, but the added low string doesn't quite work. By that I mean, if you want an extended range guitar, you need active pickups to help clear up the low end and improve sound. In this case, I tune my guitar to D Standard (DGCFAD) with a low G string (you can imagine the euphemisms that come with that), and despite increasing the tension with a thick string (.66) and tightening the string with the trem, the sound is muddy, flappy and not what I wanted. I guess that's me being picky, as when I tuned it up to A Standard (from low G to A) it sounded a million times better, although there was still a bit of the "muddy bass" sound. That said, the pickups are virtually noiseless. I once had the guitar resting on my leg for an hour, I forgot it was there until I brushed the strings with my arm, but the response from the guitar was like firing a gun at a funeral. The sound is a bit hard to describe. It sounds a lot more bass-ish than it should do, probably because of the increased body size, but that makes it even harder to find a balance between say, a rhythm and a lead tone. But, when used properly (i.e., not by me), it has that distinct "Ibanez" sound, the sound of Protest The Hero and a lot of HOT air. I use Ernie Ball titanium strings, so the sound has a slight metal "ring" to it. When used in properly trained hands, this guitar can melt faces. A test me and a friend did was to see how good we could make the Line 6 Pod we use at college sound using only a guitar. The stuff we got out of it was immense, although we couldn't quite get it to perfection. The friend in question is a very talented, multi-genre kind of guy, so he was playing some Meshuggah rhythms to Latin jazz and even some funk and this guitar made them all sound excellent. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When the person I bought this from first purchased it, it was set up as well as you'd expect from something with "prestiiiige" written all over it. Using my 300 B.C. Rich as an example (which had numerous build quality flaws, nothing serious but somewhat annoying), the Ibanez had absolutely nothing wrong, came out of the case tuned to B and ready to play. So to mess all that loveliness up, I replaced all the strings and tuned it to G (the first time I'd EVER changed strings on an Edge Zero). This was nearly a year ago, so I'm surprised it stayed in the same state without problems. But after the initial 4 weeks of awesomeness, my friend apparently got 'bored' of it, having only played it 3 times since getting it, and feeling like he'd wasted his money, sold it to me for full price (looking back at it now, I feel cheated as hell). During or before its one month tenure in his bedroom, the case and guitar had picked up the undeniable smell of strong urine (anyone else had this problem?) Quite where it'd got the smell from, I've no idea, but I have never been able to get rid of it. For all I know, it could've been there when my friend had bought it, which is just something you don't do as a company, filling your products with awful smells... Aside from that, the hardware is also a bit below par. Going back to my Rich, I've had it for 3 years, and the only hardware problem is some paint on the Bridge being worn away, leaving a nice shiny silver sheen (that I need to clean). On the Ibanez, everything metal that my hand touches almost instantly turns to rust. The Bridge in particular, as I do a fair bit if palm muting (I don't use this thing just to chug away, but palm-muting's unavoidable if you play metal). It hasn't affected the way it plays, but its sad, seeing as its not even two years old. But again, Ibanez try to turn that around with legendary playability. The action on the RG is amazingly smooth, if you need a guitar to learn on, then an Ibanez isn't a bad start, as the small spacing between strings, the low low low action and flexibility of the Bridge means its a great technique building guitar. But I'm sorry: p-ss. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Having only played with this guitar live 2 or 3 times (none of them were metal gigs), its hard to judge on how road-worthy it is. To be honest, I'm always scared that as soon as I take it out of the case, its going to implode in its own delicacy, which also lead me to being absolutely still when I played live. I really wish I could afford a back-up, but it hasn't let me down on stage so it just needs a gentle hand, or its on the verge between life and death and the merest knock against the case could cause it to explode. But its built solidly, as most Ibanez models are, so I don't know what I'm fussing about. The hardware, as mentioned, has an expiry date that they wont tell you, but they last in function so that you wont have to worry about strings flying about unexpectedly as the insides of the guitar literally rip themselves apart. But here's the other big problem I found. Recently, Ibanez seem to be on a roll with making more affordable models with great sounds, and they've done this by making their guitars that bit more "disposable". The rusting Bridge is a good indication, but not as big as the problems I've had with the locking nut. Recently, I decided to give it a retune after having never needed to do it for an entire 3 months (I just wanted to tune one measly string). But after taking out the clamp for the low G and D strings and then tuning it properly, the clamp wouldn't screw in again. What had happened is that the screw had literally screwed small chunks of metal out of the nut, so that the screw wouldn't have anything to latch on to. It wasn't my fault, seeing as I'd done it at least 6 times this year to fine tune everything with nooo problems, so it rendered having the last two strings useless (its in the shop as I type). This is most likely down to using aluminium, or some cheaper alloy, which is very light but also soft and not very useful when the screw is made of stronger material. At least its only 30 for a replacement... (oops). // 5

Overall Impression: When I got this thing, I'd play it for 3 days straight a week, to force myself to get to grips with it. Since then, I've only used it to practice and write with. As far as recording goes, it sounds okay. I need better equipment to make that judgement more subjective. I use this mostly through a Line 6 GX Pod and Pod Farm. As far as digital noise goes, the Ibanez makes Pod Farm sound like an Egnator (not literally, but the quality in sound difference between other guitars I used and the RG was as big a difference). I also used it with my mates Peavey 6505+ 112 amp and Randall RS412XL100, and although it sounded "nice" when I used it, and proper hands it was sublime to listen to. If I were to buy another 7 string, it wouldn't be this. It'd be an Ibanez ARZ300 with investment in EMG 7 string actives, or it'd be an Agile Hornet 7, but I wont be buying from Rondo music until they do something about their international services (its awful trying to buy something from America). I'd choose these two because I'm a budget man, and if my friend with the Peavey can make his 150 Yamaha Strat look-a-like sound like a real Strat then it should be easy enough to make a decent-enough Ibanez sound godly. But what else can I say. Well, overall its more trouble than its worth. If you have an extra 150 for active pickups on top of the 700 RRP then this would be a fair investment, but buying it stock has been a hassle for me, as the 7th string isn't that great, stuff rusts and it smells. Also the tremolo is fiddly, the pickups are awful for a guitar like this and its not very Prestigious if you ask me. // 5

RG1527 Reviewed by: SilverSpurs616, on october 28, 2011

Purchased from: Merchant Street Music

Features: My guitar is a 2010 Japanese-made (Team J-Craft) RG1527 in Royal Blue colour. It has 24 Jumbo Frets on a Rosewood fretboard, mounted on a maple Wizard-7 neck which has two reinforcing strips running along the back. The body style is of course the RG super-strat style that Ibanez is known for, and is made from basswood. I don't know if this is the correct term for the finish, but would describe it as satin with subtle blue sparkles, somewhat like glitter. The guitar came with passive Ibanez "Vintage" pickups installed in H-H configuration- more on those later. These are controlled via the Ibanez standard 5-way switch, and a volume and tone knob. I'm unsure of the tuner brand, but I believe high-end Ibanez tend to use Gotoh. The bridge is a Ibanez Edge PRO 7 locking tremolo. This guitar was supplied with a deluxe Ibanez Prestige Team J-Craft hardcase with a luxurious lining, various tools in a J-Craft bag and a Prestige manual. // 9

Sound: The pickups- disappointing. I love Ibanez, but every guitar I've owned has had poor stock pickups. The neck pickup was alright, but for faster playing like Paul Gilbert material it was too cloudy-sounding and didn't cut through/have enough presence. Likewise, the bridge pickup wasn't crunchy enough for my liking and as such I had to replace them. They were comparable to the INF pickups found in entry-level RGs, though thankfully not quite as thin-sounding. I have since swapped them out for a DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck and Evolution in the bridge - massive improvement! This is also a common pickup combo for this guitar. Now my leads have utmost clarity whilst soloing, and my rhythms have a satisfying crunch that really brings that low B-string to life. I will be rating the STOCK pickups in this section, however. I play a lot of metal and I'm slowly venturing into the instrumental shred styles such as Paul Gilbert and, dare I say it, Rusty Cooley. I won't bullsh-t you with the "I also play jazz and blues" line that I see a lot around here.. I bought this guitar for crunching metal, and that's exactly what it does. In coil-splitting mode it'll sound half-decent for some clean or lightly distorted leads, but it's no substitute for a good ol' Strat. The coil-splitting mode does somewhat redeem the pickups. I'm playing the guitar through my Peavey Vypyr 75 (usually the 6505 model) and Roland Cube amps. As mentioned, the stock pickups were poor and so unfortunately the rating will reflect this. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived in seemingly great condition and setup- nice low action, trem perfectly level and almost spot-on tuning. Intonation was also correct. There were no visual flaws and I honestly found no faults what'soever in the hardware - until a few hours later. While playing, the neck pickup suddenly died. No reason that I was aware of, it simply refused to make any sound from then on. It could have been a simple soldering job, but for 700 you should not have to be fixing a brand new guitar on the first day. The shop I bought from was more than helpful however, and sent down a new one the following day free of charge. This second guitar was setup equally as well and developed no flaws. As mentioned I replaced the pickups soon after, and the tech actually managed to lower the action even further- sweet! As I'm not a heavy trem-user I also had a Tremol-No installed so that I could "hardtail" it but still have trem-use when I crave it. One thing you will love or hate about this guitar- the neck is WIDE and non-uniform, that is it's considerably narrower at the headstock end than the body end. Personally I like this as it feels like a natural progression as you go further up the neck. The fretboard is also VERY flat, which makes for great shredding but somewhat difficult bends I'm going to score this section based on the 2nd guitar, as the 1st was hopefully just an unlucky model. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The most impressive thing about this guitar is the feel- it FEELS professional. I've passed it to metal-hating strat-lovers in college, and even they were impressed by the quality. It feels very substantial to hold, and after owning it for 6 months it has STILL not developed any flaws. I think I've had to make some SLIGHT fine-tunings less than 5 times since then.. Once this guitar is locked in tune, it STAYS in tune! I expect the Tremol-No contributes towards this somewhat, but even when I leave it in fully-floating mode it stays in tune well. The trem is somewhat stiff as a result of having 4 springs and an extra string, but it is easy to control and feels reliable. I'm repeating myself a lot already, but the hardware all feels well-built and solid. This Prestige guitar is undeniable quality! I would have no fears about using this live without a backup and I expect this guitar to last me a LONG time without any problems. The finish did however chip in the tremolo cavity when I accidentally lost my grip on a spring, but this was my own fault. // 9

Overall Impression: I like to play heavy metal (Trivium, Lamb Of God) and the instrumental styles like Paul Gilbert/Racer X and Joe Satriani. With the new pickups, this guitar handles them superbly! It also allows me to use drop-tunings due to the Tremol-No (Drop D and/or Drop A!) and stands up to tremolo-heavy usage in the vein of Steve Vai. I've been playing for around 4 1/2 years and this guitar was something of motivation for myself to take my practice to another level.. Nothing like spending a ton of money to make you use something. I had never played a 7-string prior to this so initially I was comparing it to my RG350. It has similarities, but the instant I touched the RG1527 I knew my RG350 was a mere toy in comparison. I feel that it isn't well-suited for gentler styles, but I knew that when I bought it... It was made for metal, and metal it does. I wish this guitar had come with better pickups installed, and perhaps a matching headstock. If it were stolen or lost, I'd be heartbroken But I'd definitely save up and buy a similar model.. Albeit with superior pickups. As repeatedly mentioned, the pickups are the letdown of this guitar but it is still a magnificent addition to any metal-players arsenal and I am confident that I will rely on it for many years to come. // 8

RG1527 Reviewed by: YJGB, on may 23, 2013

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Used

Features: This is an Ibanez made in Japan in '05 with the old Edge Pro 7 tremolo. It features 24 huge frets and has a 25, 5" scale on a very thin maple/wenge neck with a rosewood fretboard. It has a solid basswood body and is finished in Royal Blue. The body style is obviously an RG shape, which is just a sharp Stratocaster. As said before, it features an Edge Pro 7 tremolo, which I blocked off because I don't use tremolo's at all. The stock pickups were the infamous Ibanez V77/V78 pickups. They were already replaced by the previous owner by a DiMarzio CrunchLab and an Air Norton. The electronics were modified a bit as well, but I now don't use the tone and only have 1 volume and a 3-way switch. The tuners are Gotoh's, which is standard on the prestige Ibanezes. // 8

Sound: I mostly play doom and progressive metal (a la Devin Townsend) on it, and it does its job as it should. I mostly use my Engl Invader 100 with it, but when I'm on a small gig I use a DigiTech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion with it. The guitar isn't noisy at all, but like said before, the pickups were replaced and DiMarzio's are pretty high quality pickups. The guitar is very resonant and sounds very strong and ballzy. With the appropriate amp, you could get any kind of sound you'd even want out of this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It's a used guitar, so I don't know how the guitar was set up from the factory. But the guitar was set up by a friend and the guitar can handle a very low action without the sometimes mandatory fret buzz. The only flaw I have found with the guitar are the shallow pickup cavities. The aftermarket pickups are almost uncomfortably close to the strings. The body itself, on the other hand, is very well made. It's a guitar from '05, so here and there a few chips of paint missing, but there's nothing a sharpie can't fix. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is quite solid. However, since it has a tremolo and not everyone knows how to handle one it can detune quite easily. I have a Tremol-No installed in it, which is the small clamp version if you want to know. The saddles on the bridge are starting to rust a little bit, but that's normal after 8 years of use. The strap buttons are quite big, so it might be a hassle to get the strap on there, but when the strap is on there it stays there. I just would go guitar flipping with it on stage. And as said before the finish is starting to chip off a little bit, but again, that's normal for a guitar from '05 which has seen stage a lot of times. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for any kind of music with this pickup combination. I have absolutely no idea how the stock V77/V78 set sounds like. I've heard a lot of bad things about them, so I would suggest replacing them. But to turn down a great guitar like this on only the pickups is bullocks. The guitar is great for on stage and in the studio or just at home. It's reliable and solid. I'm gonna state the mandatory likes and dislikes: Likes: Solid guitar, very comfortable neck shape (very thin C-shape), the all access neck joint. Dislikes: The tremolo, I can't stand tremolos. I would love to have this guitar with a HardTail bridge, but that would be a project for me to dive in when I have the time and the money for it. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014