RG1550 Review

8.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
RG1550 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 02, 2005

Purchased from: Bruce Millers, Aberdeen

Features: I have no idea what year this was made, I bought it in Feb 2005. It has a H/S/H pickup set (all Ibanez passive V8/S7/V7) fitted, Ibanez EdgePro floyd rose tremelo system, Gotoh locking tuners, basswood body, wizard II maple neck and fret board, 24 frets, 3 paly scratchplate (black, white, black) and a black satin finish. It's a Prestige so made in Japan, rather than China. It looks like a pointier version of a Strat, damn cool with everything black then this white line round the scratchplate and the rosewood fretboard. Came with a huge Ibanez hard case that is built like a tank. A 5 because what more could you ask for. // 10

Sound: This guitar is actually a really versatile instrument. The bridge humbucker has a nice sound distorted and sounds pretty good on clean too, though a little harsh but this can be waved away using the tone control. The single coil, rather predictably aint great distorted but has a nice acousticy sound clean and a kinda funky sound with a little bit of Drive. The bridge is nice on clean, though slightly too bassy for my liking overdriven you get a cool detroit punk/White Stripes vibe. I play many different sorts of music, mainly punk and rock and I love the guitars sound with this, it really sings with string bends and Zack Wylde style pinched harmonics are easily pulled off occaisonaly lacks a wee bit of low end punch in drop tunings but nothing very noticeable. Eventually I expect I'll replace the pickups with seymour duncans or dimarzios but whatcha gonna do? // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly, no complaints. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This will definetly withstand live playing though I wouldn't play with out a backup because of the floyd rose (quick string changes are not an option). The strap buttons are huge and damn solid, the only thing is the finish is pretty thin so you shouldn't really be too violent with it. I screw around around a lot when I play and I'm pretty aggressive to my guitars and this guitar is holding up just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I chose this over an american fat Strat because it looked, played and sounded better. It has the best neck ever. bar none. It's just perfect. Really thin and fast. If this was stolen I would definetly buy antother one or possibly a similar Ibanez model. A great intermiediate guitar. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014