RG1620X Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 05/23/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG1620X
For 2003, the RG guitar line - the unchallenged standard in hard and heavy rock guitars -- gets a massive infusion of high tech hardware and upgrades.
 9.8
 9.8
 9.7
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RG1620X Reviewed by: ivan_2894, on may 23, 2008

Purchased from: Used

Features: This is the same as the RG1820x, minus the trebel/bass trim pot, and the five piece neck(this is three piece). The features are on the Ibanez website. The Double Edge Pro is a double locking (Floyd Rose) style tremolo. It is made by Gotoh I'm told. I'f you have no experience with Floyds, learn as much as you can about them before buying one. Anyway the bridge has Piezos, which are metal pickups that sit in the bridge and feel the strings, to get an acoustic sound. The piezos require a 9volt. Not hard to change, and mine has only gone dead once since I got it, but I don't use the piezos much at all, and I did a test trying to play with the magnetic pickups without the battery in, and it works, so I guess it only draws power when you have the piezos turned on. 25.5 inch neck scale. Made in Japan. Magnetic volume, magnetic tone, and piezo volume. A three position Switch to select between magnetic, piezo, or both. There are two quarter inch output jacks. Everything comes out of the one, unless you plug cords in both, then one handles the piezo, and the other does magnetic. Very clever. The tremolo spring cavity has slots so you can adjust spring tention without removing the plate. That is cool as hell. I wish it had a whammy arm torque adjuster. There are bushings you can replace when they wear out. No other guitar has these kind of features. And ones that come close will cost a bundle. This guitar is everything a guitar should be. It could look a little nicer, it's pretty plain, but a guitar doesn't need to look good, it's not it's main purpose. Too many dumbasses buy crappy guitars for the looks. Don't be stupid. Guitar comes with Ibanez Case. // 10

Sound: The magnetic pickups: the bridge(V8) is a quite hot humbucker. Ibanez describes it as Vintage. I like the sound. I think it works well for metal. It has descent harmonics. he neck(V7) isn't nearly as hot, but neck humbuckers are always that way. I don't like the sound all that much, I'm more of a bridge guy though, it's ok. Too dark for me. The five position Switch for the two humbuckers is a nice touch. Position 4 (split, tapped, or out of phase bridge, I'm not sure which one.) sounds very nice clean, and it's a weaker signal that doesn't overdrive the clean channel. The Piezos: I don't have all that much experience with piezos, except in this guitar. I think is is quite mind blowing how much it sound like an acoustic. It does lack a little fullness that a real acoustic would have. Reverb, and chorus can help. A recording of these piezos wouldn't be noticibly different than an acoustic recorded with a mic. Or at least not with other instruments. Over all, sounds great stock, I'll put an Air Norton, and a D-Sonic in it eventually, as it still has some room for improvement. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: bought the guitar used. It was made in 2003 I think. At the time it was set up for.008s, and had.010s on it, so I set it up the best I could(for.009s). The neck was a little out of place, so I took the strings off, and loosened the neck bolts. Then I pushed the neck into position, and tightened. Once seated properly it was a lot easier to play on the high E. It slipped out of position again a week or two later, but I fixed it again, and really horsed the screws down, and it's been fine for four or so months. The strings sit about 2mm over the 24th fret. I'd like it a little lower, but it's by no means bad, and there's very little buzz anywhere, unless you are picking too hard, but that would be your own fault. Quite flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only used it Live twice now since I got it in April. I guess it was reliabile, everything worked out fine. Hardware is good, tuners feel so much better than on cheaper guitars, very smooth, but not loose. The cosmo finish on the Double edge pro has worn off where I palm mute, but it is typical, and only a cosmetic flaw. The paint chips fairly easily, but thin paint is supposed to really enhance tone, I believe it. I can definatley depend on it, but it does have a double locking tremolo, so if the gig is of any importance, try to have a backup. As long as you change the strings every week or so like you're supposed to, and oil the saddles occasionally, strings only break if you're going to town on 'em. There is room for improvement, but not that much, without compromises. // 10

Overall Impression: I play since 2003. It's a great metal/shred guitar. I'm inspired mostly by progressive metal bands like Dream Theater, and Symphony X, but also Genesis, pain of salvation, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Opeth, etc. This guitar can cover all that kind of stuff. No Doubt, the best feature is the neck. If you can, play a guitar with this neck on it before you buy something else, it's a masterpiece(well, if I could have Ibanez make me my own model, I'd have a slightly wider neck, but it's better than anything I've ever played by far.). Thin, and smooth. If it were lost or stolen, I'd get an RG1820X, because it's the same guitar but a little better, I was concidering another RG series, but decided to get this, because of the piezo ( I'm a petrucci fan and love acoustic sounds). The RG do have wowingly comfortable bodies.Japanese Ibanez Prestige guitars kick asses. Very good over all. Very diverse, very comfortable, and durable, sounds great, and it isn't a fortuine. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014