RG170 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/03/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG170
Ultra neck, basswood body, 24 jumbo frets, FAT-20 bridge, PSND1 neck pickup, PSNDS middle pickup, PSND2 bridge pickup.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Features: 8.3
 8.1
 8.6
 7.5
reviews (10) 15 comments vote for this gear:
RG170 Reviewed by: Triode, on january 28, 2008

Purchased from: Melbourne

Features: 2007 candy apple metallic red. Made in China. 24 Jumbo frets. Nice dark rosewood fretboard with shark tooth inlays. White binding on neck. Solid basswood body. Ibanez floating chrome bridge with non-locking nut. Tuners (look like Gotoh style) about 15:1 with tension adjusting screws. Pickups Ibanez H2, S4, H1 H/S/H with 5-way selector switch. Chrome knobs. Came with 9-42 strings. // 7

Sound: This guitar sounds fantastic for the money. There is a lot of versatility with the pickup/switching system. The neck and bridge humbuckers are for high gain metal and suit this style well. The basswood body helps this guitar sound pretty bright. The middle three positions include some great clean sounds. The second position uses one of the bridge single coils in parallel with the centre single coil. This is arranged as hum reducing phasing. This is a nice clean bright sound with slightly suppressed bass. The single coil pickup is the centre position on the Switch and it is useful for crunchy rythym playing where you want to hear the notes a little cleaner than the humbuckers. The fourth Switch position is useful for rythym where the neck humbucker night be a little too dark. It uses the centre single coil paralled with one of the neck coils (split humbucker). This is arranged as hum reducing phasing also. The first and fifth Switch positions are for the bridge and neck humbuckers respectively. The bridge pickup has enough output to please most metal players. It is a god match for the basswood body. I measured it's DC impedance as 17k ohms, which is pretty high. The neck pickup is a little on the dark side, and has a 11k ohm impedance. The volume balance between the pickups is good, and the Switch and pots are silent. The Switch has a nice firm action. I changed the tone capacitor from 33nF to 10nF and this helps retain more mid frequencies as the tone control is turned down. You can definately get some good metal and rock tones from this guitar, and the single coil positions allow you to head into other styles if you like. This guitar is played either into a small valve amp or a DigiTech RP pedal into a solid state amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action came low, about 2mm at the 24th fret. The shop may have set this up. The nut is cut at the correct depth. Pickups were adjusted correctly, though how difficult can that be? There is some backbow evident between the nut and 9th fret, but it is not hindering playing at the moment. I'll wait a few weeks for it to settle more before I adjust the truss rod. The intonation was a long way off. I moved each saddle back about 1mm. There is plenty of adjustment either way though, so no problems. These bridges are not known for tuning stability so a put graphite powder in the nut slots, which helped a great deal. I also increased the tension on the spring claw so that the bridge rests onto the body in front of the tremolo block. This has left the bridge angled back a little, but it now acts more like a Vintage style bridge and keeps better tune if you use the whammy. At a later date I will block it properly with a piece of 3mm thick hardwood. The finish of the guitar is good. The paint is applied at an average thickness and levelling is not as good as higher end RG's, but you have to look really close to notice. It still looks the part though. The bolt on neck neck is smooth and fast, the headstock angled back so that no string tees are necessary. The neck joint allows good access to the upper frets. The frets are not polished well, but the fret ends are not unduly sharp. The strap pins are of a generous size and straplocks are not needed if the strap is nice and tight. The electronics cavity is not shielded but the plastic cover is, not that that will help any. No undue amount of hum is evident though. It is nice and light, won't cause back problems. // 7

Reliability & Durability: If you gig with this guitar, make sure you block the trem, for tuning stability. Other than that it will stand up to Live playing as good as any similar type of guitar. Time will tell if the bridge post inserts stay put or move with time, since basswood is a fairly soft wood. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is used for Linkin Park, System Of A Down etc. It belongs to my son, he has been playing for 4 years. I own a RG520 Japanese myself so know what is available in a great RG. If lost or stolen this guitar is still very very hard to beat for value for money so we'd get another one. It looks really nice, and sounds very good for the price. It would be good if Ibanez had more tremless models in this price range. We compared to ESP LTD and Epiphone. // 8

RG170 Reviewed by: ucmesk8, on july 19, 2004

Purchased from: Super Pawn

Features: - Made in Indonesia - 25 jumbo frets - Cobalt blue finish with gloss - Strat styling - String thru body - Two dials: 1 volume, 1 bass/treble 1 toggle - 5 Pickups: 2 on each side of the solo pickup - Grover machine heads // 10

Sound: I'm a female guitar player, so I tend to like my Dean Martin acoustic electric. However this lil guitar rocks. It's pickups are able to give that ew de crange that be bip beyaw or wara feed back solo that takes ya back to Jimmie if ya know what I mean. Even for Santana solos; it made me sound good. I later found out the RG in any series means rock guitar. Totally true. I can't believe I found her in a pawn shop in new condition, with accessories! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action easy, strings close to jumbo frets; easy to play. Pickups are mighty nice. With two set basey and the other 2 a richer mid-range and the middle is your high harmonics. Whew! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Only thing I had a problem with was my daughter's friend came over and decided to be a rocker. She chipped a peice of the finish. I retaliated by getting a bottle of her cobalt blue sally hansen hards as nails and used it for the touch up. Keep it away from kids! use a shell case is better. Strap buttons are iron clad with even lil felt around them not to scratch finish. I could probably sell this guitar for $300 min right now. // 10

RG170 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2007

Purchased from: Music And Arts

Features: Most likley made in in 2002 seeing as how I got it in 03 and I'm sure it was made in Asia somwhere, but Who cares where, it's asia. 24 frets on a fairly thin almost you shaped maple neck, with a rosewood fretboard. The body is made from basswood and the finish is a metallic jewel blue, also comes in black and newly added red. Also, the bridge is a 2 post tremelo which I guess is a little better than a Vintage tremelo, I'm not a fan of tremelos so I don't care. Passive powersound pickups, but Who wants batterypowered pickups anyway. One volume and one tone knob, and a 5-way switch for a neck humbucker a middle single coil and lastly another humbucker in the bridge. Non locking tuners, Standard Ibanez. Accesories included are a few allan head wrenches and a wammy bar. // 8

Sound: I used to think this guitar was so radd. I actually have a previous review somwhere in the middle. Anyways, as I've improved I've realized the pickups are quite low quality. The worst being the bridge pickup. The neck and middle single coil are ok if your playing some blues stuff or anything clean. The neck pickup is subtly mellow and sounds pretteh good clean and ok on distortion, you might want to think about replacing all the pickups. The middle pickup is very single coil Strat sounding, but not quite as twangy and poppy. As for the bridge pickup, I used to like it, but as I've improved as musician it sounds way to thin and whiney, and not good tom delonge whiney either. Good for begginners Who can't quite recognize pitches and equalization. It used to suit my music style, but not so much anymore, because of this, a few days ago I bought a Gfs Crusader to put in the bridge. overall all the pickups are muddy and you should change them. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It came decently set up, not to my personal preferences, not low enough, I'll be taking it to guitar center to have a pickup installed and set up for 10 gauge ernie ball strings and fix the wiring. I think the wiring is cheap, because latley the tone knob doesn't work, you kinda have to tap it for it to kick in. Came fairly well from the factory, when your just starting out you don't know what you want/like yet. You just wanna play. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Stock, this guitar would most likley not withstand Live playing, unless it's Brand New and you screw everything down tightly. the hardware is pretteh good, seeing as how the only real hardware is the chrome bridge and tunersand strap buttons. The strap buttons are pretteh good, maybe come loose every few months, but just screw them back in and there you go. I wont use it live until I have it perfected for myself. The finish will definatley last, but taht doesn't really matter to meh, because soon mine will be covered in stickers and you wont see much of the blue, very punk rock. // 9

Overall Impression: I play/write/listen to punk rock/punk/ska/punkska/punk alternative/classic rock/psychadelic rock ect. It matches to an extent, like the ska, since that's mostly clean, and the pickups sound aright clean, it's ok. I've been playing about 4 or 5 years, and I have a Epi Les Paul Standard Plus, a tom delonge Stratocaster, a B-52 AT-100 half stack, Fender champion 30, Boss blues driver and some other stuff. I hope to be purchasing a new guitar soon, deciding between 3 or 4. I hate the stock pickups and the way the action is right now, but I'll be changing both of that soon. I didn't compare this to anything at the time, because it was about 5 years ago. I kind of wich I had chosen a Standard Strat instead to begin on, even though those suck, there's just so much more you can do to them to kustomize them. If it were stolen after I customized it. I'd do somthing along the lines dismemberment decapition to the cunt Who stole it. As for the stuff I wish I had, there's a couple guitars I've got my eye on, a Dunlop 535q wah pedal I plan to pick up tomorrow, overall, it's a decent guitar, for begginners and anyone Who wants a pretty kool guitar to upgrade, don't get blue, cause that's copying meh you bastards! Have fun with it, don't be in it for the money, later days. // 9

RG170 Reviewed by: xthelonelywolfx, on august 03, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I don't exactly know what year this guitar was made in but it was made in Japan by the Ibanez company. The guitar has 24 frets. The fret space gets smaller as you go down the fretboard. The neck is made of rosewood. It has a solid black top. I don't know what the body is made out of. The finish is solid black. Its body is somewhat shaped like a Stratocaster. The controls on the guitar are Volume, Tone, and a 5-way Selector. The tuners are non-locking Grovers. // 9

Sound: On the guitar I play rock, hard rock, metal, heavy metal, blues-rock, and a little bit of everything. It suits me very well. I have a Marshall amp, 10 watts. Comes with Overdrive and Tone. It isn't noisy and it doesn't give any feedback. The guitar can make a lot of noises if you listen to Dragonforce it makes all of those noises. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little bit high so I paid to lower it. The pickups were adjusted greatly. It came with humbachers. When I got it, the neck was dusty, the nut was super glued in place, the strings were rusted, and I needed to wax the body. It had a properly bookmatched top and a properly routed bridge. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand live playing. The hardware does seem like it will last. The strap buttons are solid. I can depend on it. I would use it in a gig without a backup. The finish is good enough to last and it doesn't seem thin and easy enough to wear off with lots of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for all music I play. I've been playing for about two years now and I also own a Greg Bennet Acoustic. If it was lost, I would get a different guitar because I don't like getting the same guitar over and over and over. I love the entire thing, I hate nothing about it, and my favorite feature is the whammy bar with a locking nut tremelo. I don't wish it had anything else to it. // 10

RG170 Reviewed by: dyingforwhat, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: Used - Musician's Choice

Features: This model was made in Korea, 2004. It has 24 1/2 frets and a fast Wizard II neck. The guitar is solid-top, and I believe the body is agathis wood while the neck is light maple. The finish is midnight blue, and the body style is a Strat design although with shark-tooth inlays which gives this guitar an edge. The bridge is a floating one w/ tremelo. It has volume, tone, and a 5-way selector. There are two humbuckers and a single-coil on the RG170, and are Seymour Duncans. It has stock tuners which are fine, but I'm hoping to get locking ones so I can abuse the whammy-bar to my heart's content. // 8

Sound: I play classic rock (i. e. Led Zeppelin), heavy metal (Iron Maiden), and many other varieties such as garage rock. I use this with a Marshall MG30DFX and there is no background humming or noise at all with any setting. It's very easy to produce pinch-harmonics on the guitar, the whammy-bar works surprisingly well, and the genres you can play with this guitar; Ibanez is very well-known for making versatile guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this used so I can't really judge that much on how the guitar was set-up at the factory. The pickups were adjusted very well though, and there were no flaws in the finish. The quality of the wood is also extremely good. I found however, that there was some poor soldering inside the guitar and the input socket jack was loose, and this is a common problem. Just take it to your local music store, and they'll fix it very quickly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood live playing before, and the strap buttons are very solid. The hardware will last for a long time and I would use it at a gig without a backup. The finish is very durable, and will not wear off over time with playing. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I had written before, I play different genres such as classic rock, hard rock, and metal; this guitar matches all of it. I've been playing for two years but studied music and the piano since I was 6. I also own a Yamaha classical. If this guitar was stolen, I would hunt down the asshole, beat him up, and take this back. If I couldn't, I would buy this again just for the extremely good quality and low price compared to other brands. I love everything about this guitar, the only thing that I hate is the tendency for it go out of tune easily after the whammy-bar's been used. I've compared it to crappy Squiers, BC Rich Mockingbirds, and Yamahas, and I chose this out of all of them because of its versatility, aesthetic appeal, and its Wizard II neck. The only thing I wished this thing had included with it would be locking tuners. // 10

RG170 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 30, 2005

Purchased from: Swee Lee

Features: It was made in 2004 in Japan. Has 24 jumbo frets. Rosewood fingerboard. It has a Strat like body but is way cooler! Sharp edges. The guitar is black. But ther's also jewel blue availiable. It has a floyd rose bridge minus the fine tuners. It has a 5-way Switch. Has 3 pickups. A single coil flanked by 2 humbuckers. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. A little bit of punk. This guitar is also well suited for Nirvana use. I use a Marshall 15watt and an Ibanez 15watt with it. The only prob I have is that single coil buzzes a little when the overdrive is turned up. This guitar has a strong metal sound. Good for Slipknot and Metallica. The guitar is very flexible in terms of the sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up at the factory was okay. The action was a little too high. Pickups were okay. In terms of ajustment. The pick up selector is a little noisy. Like I mentioned earlier, the single coil is a little noisy. I heard thats the problem with the RG170 and 270. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It can withstand live performances. Did it before like twice before. Strap buttons are solid. I would use it as a backup but not as a front line guitar. The single coil might not last but the others will. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a good match for metal players, and classic rock and punk. It is much better than mexican strats. and japanese ones too. Great beginner guitar. For those who want to mess ard with single coil and humbuckers. This is a good choice. Its also a good choice for those on a budget. Have benn playing for 2 yrs. I would buy it agaion if it were stolen but the Gibson SG Special is what that is on my mind. // 10

RG170 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 17, 2006

Sound: This guitar is one that can handle it all. But my kind of music is punk/classic rock/weird mixture and other genres. My favorite bands are Blink 182, Sum 41, MxPx, NFG, Led Zepplin and a few others. I use it along with my Epiphone on a Fender Champion amp 30 watt. It doesn't give me any feedback and no pickup over powers another, works great with all my effects ex. tremolo, flange, and vibrato. Lots of variety, I preferabley like it on the treble pickup because it is so bright and suits the punk style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I've never had a set up done but it is already great, so if you get it set up it my be 5times better. The pickups are in perfect height noneed for lowering or highering. The only flaw is when I got it I noticed finish was gone by the top cut in but it doesn't really bother me. The nut isn't really bad but it needs to be moved over from time to time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is reliable, I haven't played live yet because I don't have a drummer but I'm positive it doesn't need a back up. The hardware kicks ass it is in perfect condition. The strap buttons must be like welded on there because they are super solid, even though I play really low like Tom DeLonge. The finish will last as long as you wipe it down and dont just throw it on the stand with the heat up and leave it for dust to gather. So this is a good finish. // 10

Overall Impression: My style of music is punk/punk rock/classic rock and other stuff but no metal I hate metal. I've been playing 2.5 years and three this summer. If you mean guitars and amps I also have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Fender Champion amp (working on either a Marshall DSL or any thing that sounds good for all types of rock). I wish I had asked where to get a Tom DeLonge Fender Strat surf green. And also I was ask if it sounds good on a Marshall. If it were lost or stolen I would track down the bastard who stole it and smash his face into a car door, and buy it again. There is nothing I hate about it except it gets dirty and it's hard to clean around open coil pickups. What I love about it is you can play really low and rip power chords great. I wish they had more colors to choose from all I saw was jewel blue (mine) and black. It isn't a professional instrument but it's great for someone who wants some great sounds from a great guitar. // 10

RG170 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2006

Features: Everyone before me has already mentioned the specs, but I'll give you mine anyway. Mine was made in 2004, basswood body, rosewood fretboard, floating Trem, 2 humbuckers, 1 single coil, blue gloss finish. Solid top, gloss finish. Strat style body, all one colour. All passive pick-ups, one volume, one tone control. Has a an H/S/H configuration. I got mine with a bag, a lead and some picks. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal, and rock type music and it does it really well. I run it through a Fender FM65R amp. It can be noisy at times with a of of gain and volume, but not really any more than usual. It is really versatle and is a really great guitar! Really good cleans because of the H/S/H configuration. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Had a nice low action when I bought it. As I have progressed the neck just seems to get faster and faster. Pickups and everything was standar, and I had no problems with it! The only problem I have ever had with the guitar was that the jack broke and had to be replaced and resoldered with a new one. Really comfortable to play and is very light. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is awesome! I would defintiely use it wthout a backup guitar! Strap buttons are solid, and the hardware is chrome, and wil last for ages. Haven't had one problem with the finish - still glossy and bright. I haven't changed the strings in over a year and it still holds its tune really well, (and I play alot). // 10

Overall Impression: It is a great match for what I play - all types of metal, and some cleans stuff as well. I own a FM65R amp, an Epiphone LP Special II, and am soon receiving my BC Rich set-neck deluxe model warlock. I have been playing for just over a year now, and this guitar has stayed with me the whole time! I have no problems with this guitar at all. My LP does sound a bit punchier through disortion, but thats nothing much. I would defintirly recommend this to anyone as a fist guitar. It has everything you need! If it were lost or stolen I would consider a higher model in the RG range, but as a first guitar, there is nothing else I would recommedn as highly as this! The tremelo is awesome for learning on and the pickups get the job done. This guitar is excellent value and I would recommedn it to anyone looking for a first or maybe a second guitar! // 10

RG170 Reviewed by: Musketeer(s), on april 24, 2006

Purchased from: Bay City Musicworks

Features: Despite the fact that this is a reasonably cheap guitar, it still kicks ass! 2 humbuckers and one single pickup give you a huge range of sounds. The floating tremolo is great, I really had to manhandle my old guitars fixed trem to do dive-bombs. It looks good, and it's got everything I want/need. // 8

Sound: I play metal and hard rock, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden etc, and it suits this style well, both with its looks and sound. I'm using a Peavey rage, but as soon as I get money I'll probably get a Peavey Studio Pro or a 50 watt Marshall. When I play it through my guitar teacher's Marshall stack it sounds freakin amazing! The 2 humbuckers and 1 single pickup give you a wide range of sounds at the flick of a switch. There is a bit of noise when using the distortion, especially from the single coil pickup, which is to be expected when using a single by itself. The sound I get from it now is sadly restricted by my amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it everything was perfect, no chips or dents. The strings were new, and everything was nice and shiny. My neck has a slight bend in it, due to using a couple of thicker guage strings, Ibanez guitars ship with 0.09 - 0.42 strings, which I found better than the 0.10 - 0.46 strings that I was using, but when I broke a string, I didn't have any 0.9s spare. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd use this guitar live (if I had a band) but I'd need a backup or two, mainly because I'm a bit of a nut (I used to break strings weekly). The strap buttons are rock solid, I have a hard time taking my strap off. The hardware seems ok, however the plastic bit on the pickup selector did come off on th first day I had it, this can be fixed with a tiny bit of glue or something. The finish is good, mine is black however, and the wholo thing looks like a giant fingerprint after about half an hour of jamming. So only get the black if your willing to do a whole lot of cleaning, or just to have a really dirty-looking guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock, and this is a great match. The RG body is awesome, and the pickups are perfect (or close to it). I've been playing for about 7 months, and this is the first half-decent guitar that I've owned. I used to have a Samick Strat clone, which I got sick of very quickly because of its single coil pickups. I compared this to a J&D Les Paul copy, which was a very nice guitar, which I might get next, but I chose this one because of the 3 pickups and the 24 frets. I also compared it to my mate's Yamaha, which his dad has done some serious work on, and personally I thought that the Ibanez came out on top. // 8

RG170 Reviewed by: samlocke14, on october 23, 2007

Purchased from: studio 19

Features: It has all the features you would expect from an electric guitar: 24 jumbo frets, 25.5 scale, maple neck, basswood body, non-locking tremolo, H/S/H pickup configuration, one volume, one tone control, 5-way pickup selector, Super Strat body, passive electronics. // 7

Sound: This guitar was my first electric guitar so I didn't care about sound for the first year or so. To start off with I was only playing punk and rock and it suited it well and sounded ok (nothing special) but in the last year I have started playing a lot of metal and this guitar doesn't really cut it. The pickups are muddy in drop c and the single coil is noisy all the time. I'm using the guitar through a Laney 30W amp and for punk and rock it sounds ok and with a fair bit of tweaking I've managed to get as good metal sound out of it, but it's just to much hassle. Stick to simpler genres of music with this guitar. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up when I got it was fine, no worries at all. Everything was great, for about a year and a bit. Then the problems started. One of the saddles had a bur on it and I broke about 3 strings in 2 weeks till I realized what the problem was. The nut wore down on the low e string groove and made the string buzz like crazy. Because the tremolo was non-locking I had to get more sprigs put on it to strap it down to stop it going out of tune every song. Recently the volume pot has started crackling badly when I turn it right down which is annoying as hell. It also came with a bit of paint chipped off near the lead input. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing and it seems like it will last, it just needs a lot of tweaking and fiddling to get it to stay together. The strap buttons are solid and they are about the only thing on the guitar that's never failed me. I always use a backup guitar at gigs because you never know when something will go wrong or break. The finish has lasted well too. // 6

Overall Impression: I play punk, rock and metal. This guitar can do rock and punk, and metal if you are prepared to do some mucking around with it to get it sounding good. I have been playing for 3 years now and I am upgrading guitars to an S series because I need something that will last longer. if it were stolen or lost I would get a guitar with a locking nut or a fixed bridge to save all the tuning worries this guitar gave me. I love the RG body style but I hate how temperamental this guitar is, one day it works, the next day something goes wrong. I compared this with a cheap Epiphone Les Paul and this one seemed like the best bet because I felt more comfortable playing it. I wish it had better quality everything basically but I can't really complain because it's an entry level electric that's designed to be cheap. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014