RG1XXV Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/05/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG1XXV
It is the most versatile guitar I have ever played. You can virtually do everything with it and every setting is just really really good. If you have the money and the bravery to play such an extravagant guitar get it!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.6
 9.8
 9.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 35 comments vote for this gear:
RG1XXV Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2012

Price paid: € 950

Purchased from: Local Dealer

Features: The guitar has 24 frets with nice rounded edges on the frets itself. The neck is ultra-thin and reinforced with KTS-Titanium rods. I love the raw wooden neck on this one. It just feels so much better than a finished neck. The body is made out of basswood, which has quite a bad reputation but Ibanez uses it nearly every RG even the most expensive and in my ears it always sounds really nice but with limited bass range. The bridge tremolo is nice because you have the option of having it free floating or locked with two additional splittings. (Not complicated at all) The DiMarzio IBZ pickups sound really great. They also have kind of a bad reputation but there are no "standard IBZ DiMarzios" they are all different, just the same name and these are really good ones. Single coil has really a lot less output what actually makes this guitar ingenious with amps that reacts sensitive to the guitar output. The condenser on the volume knob also helps. The only thing you could at to this guitar is coil split and a kill switch but what is already there is still impressive and way ahead of most guitars in stores and I couldn't even get into detail on every single feature of the guitar. // 10

Sound: I keep it short: it's not the best guitar I have ever played in any category. Still, it is the most versatile guitar I have ever played. You can virtually do everything with it and every setting is just really really good. For shredding Paul Gilbert style it is also really great. Great attack! Huge variety of tones and as mentioned above you can really play with the volume knob and switch position to get a lot of tones without even switching your amp channel. Great stuff! You might give it a 8 or 9, if you only play one style, since it isn't perfect in by means but still it has a huge variety and a lot of great sounds. (If your only style is shredding with moderate high gain I would still rate it a 10 though). A limitation is ultra-dark-brute-dropped A metal but then again there are few guitars that do well in that category and being still useful in any other way. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I give it 10 since it looks incredible. Best finish ever. I got the pink one. Off course! Also shaping is great and mine had no flaws at all but your experience may differ. Action was quite low and perfect for me without any buzzing. Pickups were also set pretty well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I give it a 10 because Ibanez products mostly last a live time and the KTS Titanium makes the neck unbreakable but keep in mind, that I downt owe the guitar for long and this review mainly targets players who want an opinion on this guitar as long as it is availlable in stores. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal, Hard Rock, Neo-Classical Shred, Alternative, little bit blues. I play for 9 years know and own Gibson, Fernandes and Ibanez guitars but used to play a lot of other instruments as well. I often buy and sell guitars and play in a lot of bands so I have quite an insight on guitars. If it were stolen I would cry and buy another one but in yellow cause I can never have another. So strong are my feelings for this one. If you have the money and the bravery to play such an extravagant guitar get it! Closing words: Excuse my bad English, I am not a native. // 10

RG1XXV Reviewed by: LastHorizon82, on june 05, 2013

Purchased from: gak

Features: This has everything you really could need in one guitar. The Ibz DiMarzio H/S/H combination offers up a number of good tones no matter what style you play and the titanium re-enforced neck keeps tuning Ultra stable. Also present is the new adjustment system for the tremolo which in my opinion is just awesome. I avoided guitars with double locking trems until I saw this fantastic invention. // 10

Sound: I'm not the kind of player that rips stock pups out of new guitars without giving them a fair test (after all if Fender or whoever saw fit to put them on the guitar then they must be ok) and the Ibz DiMarzio pups are better than ok. I have owned the lot, from real PRS's to Gibson and Jackson usa models and where these might excel in certain areas they come up short in another. The HSH Ibz's offer a good range of tones for all styles and this ain't a 1000 plus guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Best area for this guitar. The neck is smooth and fast and this one is set up a dream. The frets weren't sharp like on my cheaper RG2XXV but it has the same trem which is annoying as it cost twice as much. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Really well made with good solid hardware. This will take a few whacks and bangs without much trouble if you are going to use it live. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play rock and metal but this guitar CAN do it all. I use it through a Blackstar I'd 30 tvp and the number of quality settings/tones is huge. I have never loved a guitar so much... Ever! When you see a certain guitar and you get that "omg I need it" feeling! Well if you add dribbling and the attempted mugging of pensioners then that's close to what I would've done to get this. So if you get a similar feeling you know what to do :) Awesome awesomeness, just need some new Bermuda shorts now! // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014