RG20061 Review

9.4
review (1) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
RG20061 Reviewed by: Noslo13, on february 16, 2011

Purchased from: Russo's Guitar Center

Features: This is an Ibanez Prestige RG20061 made in Japan in 2006. Twenty-four jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard. Body is ash, neck is maple. It's a neck through design. The finish is a chocolately brown stain that shows off the natural look of the ash. Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo, two DiMarzio IBZ humbuckers in neck and Bridge positions. Controls are one volume knob, one tone knob, and a five-way selector. Tuners are locking Gotohs. All hardware is black. Came with a hard shell case and the tremolo bar. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds great. At home I play it through a Peavey Envoy 110 amp, with a GarageTone delay and Crybaby Classic Wah. It's a fairly versatile guitar. It sounds really nice clean, not too bright like my old Squire Strat, but it's with distortion that this guitar shines. The DiMarzio pickups are simply outstanding. Even with high gain, chords ring out without a wall of fuzz, and single note lines have all the bite that one would expect. Harmonics in particular come out crystal clear, both natural and artificial. My style is mostly hard rock/metal in the same vein as Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden, and this guitar performs admirably in those roles. When I occasionally dapple in classical, funk, or other genres, it suits my needs and then some. One of the most versatile sounding guitars I have ever played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar used, and the set-up was fine. I haven't noticed any real problems, except that for some reason they had it tuned to D standard, which was sort of annoying. The pickups are a little higher than I'm used to, but it's not really a problem when I strum between them and not right over one of them. Other than that, the only problems with it were a few tiny scratches, but they're only noticible if you're looking for them. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Every part of the guitar seems made to last for a while. The one previous owner of the guitar was working in the store I bought it from, and he told me he had never had a problem with it, he just traded it in to upgrade. I don't think I would ever gig without a backup with a double locking guitar though, just because they're such a hassle to tune and restring if something went wrong. I do have one problem with it, but it may not actually be a problem. Experimenting with whammy shenanigans, I managed to get my third string to drop down a whole step. It was probably my fault, I was getting pretty extreme with the thing, but other than that I have confidence in this guitar's reliability. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, this guitar can match a lot of styles. I've been playing just over two years and decided the time was right to upgrade from my Squier Strat. I am very glad that I did. If this guitar was stolen, I would be heartbroken because I doubt I'd be able to find another in as good a condition for as good a price (sticker price for it was $899.99 for just the guitar, but I haggled my way to $799.99, the case, and the whammy bar). I compared it to loads of other Ibanez products from just about every guitar store in my city, mostly RGs, and this one really stood head and shoulders above the rest. It's hard to pick my favorite thing about it. I'd say a three-way tie between the pickups, floating bridge, and finish (I've always had a thing for guitars finished this way). Overall, it's one of the best guitars I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I think this one will keep me happy for quite a while. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S7521 8 Electric Guitars 11/26/2014