RG220B Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/03/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG220B
24 frets, volume, tone, 5 way selector, basswood body, 2 double humbucker pick-ups floyd rose tremelo system, lock downs on the neck, jet black.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 Features: 8.1
 7.9
 8.2
 7.5
reviews (10) pictures (5) 9 comments vote for this gear:
RG220B Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 10, 2003

Features: 24 frets, volume, tone, 5 way selector, two humbucking pickups, basswood body, double locking floyd rose licenced trem. // 6

Sound: Gets great deep lows but still screams those highs great for metal. I play it through a crate mx120r combo amp. It has a rich full sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set great from the factory, but when i changed the strings i had to readjust the spring tension on the trem, but other than that the action was perfect for my needs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does definately withstand live playing. The hardware has held up fine for me. The finish has a few minor scratches now but their my fault. It has gigged several times but I always carry more than one axe with me. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is the best one I have bought and I think I got the best value for the money. I would definately get another one like it if it were stolen or lost. I compared it to at least 50 other guitars in its price range when I got it and this was the biggest bang for the buck. // 8

RG220B Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2004

Features: This is a 2000 model, that I've been playing for a few years now. It was made in Korea, not Japan or America. It has 24 jumbo sized frets that can be easily used for both people with smaller and bigger(me)hands. It comes complete with two Ibanez Humbuckers, A 3-way selector, A licensed Floyd Rose trem, locking nut, and some pretty good machine heads. All electronics are passive unless upgraded. Has a super Strat style body that looks like and feels like most of the other higher classed Ibanez RG's. // 8

Sound: This guitar plays most of my music styles(Rock,Punk,Blues). The sound coming out of the bridge p/u is bright and punchy, Great for Rock and Punk styles. The neck p/u is really bassy and has a bluesy sound. This guitar is pretty versital, the sound can range anywhere from a soft clean tone, to a headbanging crunchy tone. I use it with an old Peavey Classic amp(2 speakers/212 watts) and it sounds great. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first recieved this guitar, I though it was the coolest guitar in the world. Everything seemed to work really good, the floyd rose never had to be adjusted and I was very impressed with this guitar the first year. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar keeps up pretty well but after a few years of agressive playing, the P/u's tone has gone down the drain. It no longer sounds the same as it did when i first bought it. The Floyd Rose Trem has gone wack, I have to adjust it all the time. The locking nuts never lock, so the guitar comes out of tune all the time. I've gigged this guitar a few times but would definately have a backup. // 2

Overall Impression: This guitar is just like your average cheap guitar. At the time, it was the best thing in my price range. I would not really recommmend this guitar to an experienced player but it is fine as a beginners guitar. It has all the features you need for a good rock guitar but doesn't have the durabilty to withstand some of the hardest bangs and pick shreddings overtime from the user. // 6

RG220B Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2005

Features: For one, you must compare the features to the other guitars. The RG320 has the exact same stuff! The RG220 comes with a Wizard II neck, which is great for guys with bigger fingers. The thinner Wizard I neck isn't so good for the bigger finger'd player. I love how this neck doesn't have that stupid thumb rest crap. It is more of a bother to me than helpful. The tuners are so-so. They are plastic/metal. But that is easily made up for with the bridge. It has a Edge Pro II bridge, which is the exact same bridge as the 320. The pickups are powersound, which are good for awhile, but not gig worthy. I suggest just taking out the bridge and replacing it. // 10

Sound: I play all form of rock. And this by far surpassing everything I expected with Ibanez. It gives that thunderous tone for rhythm an great clarity for clean tone. I found the powersound pickups to be too mellow for me, so I put a seymour duncan detonator in. For the price I couldn't complain. It still sounds great! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Dude, this guitar is fast playing. The neck floats in your hand. Fast is one good word that describes it. The bridge is right where it should be, low. I can't stand it when the thing pops up and looks taky. The finish is great, I love the black. With the all black hardware, this looks like it's ready to take on anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am definatily going to use this for live gigs. I prefer this over my ESP. EMG pickups aren't all they are cracked up to be anyways. The tuners is the only thing I know won't last due to my strings. I use the X-Rockers, C# tuning. So that is something I will replace later. I don't think I will ever have a major problem with this. Always have to remember people, if the bridge goes out of tune ever, you have to replace the tremelo springs. That happens from using the whammy bar or just using it over time. You'd be amazed what people don't think of thinking it's the guitars fault. // 10

Overall Impression: When I was at Guitar Center, I didn't plan on buying this guitar at first. I wanted the RG 320FM, since when I played it, I loved the neck and the sound. While there, I started to play around with the other guitars; IC400, AX models, and other Ibanez models, but I started to compare the two. The only difference I found was the tuners and the bridge on the 320 was black crome instead of just black. Whoppiddy doo. The difference in price was around $150. I could live with black color instead of a FM top. Basically, if you like to play fast, like a guitar that can take a beating, go with any RG model. They all play the same. The prestige is a totally different RG style, don't get them mixed up. // 10

RG220B Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2005

Sound: This guitar's sound rocks! I am using it on a cheap M2A-110 amp from First Act, and even with this cheap amp, it outdoes any guitar any of my friends have had. Even with the gain control on the amp all the way up, there isn't much noise, even when near the TV or computer. The sound is very full and satisfying when overdriven, but even clean, as long as you back off the tone just a bit, it sounds awesome. I love the sound it gives with the lead pickups on some of the solos from AC/DC. Even on the cheap amp, I was able to sustain a note for 5 minutes. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm still using the strings that were originally on the guitar. The person I bought it from never replaced them or played them for that matter. I haven't had to make any adjustment to the pickups, or the truss rod. The action is almost perfect. The guitar has an awesome finish, that I think will hold up over years of use. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock music, like punk and '80s metal. I've been playing for 7 months now, and I only had my acoustic up untill now. Already, this guitar has proven useful for me, as I can now play some solos in some awesome scales, and I can start playin on those scales and making my own. I don't think there is a single thing I don't like about this guitar. // 10

RG220B Reviewed by: lxtkn1989, on july 13, 2005

Features: I played a 2003 Ibanez RG220B owned by a friend. It's a 24 fret electric guitar with a floyd rose style tremelo, it has volume, tone and 3-way pickup controls. It's a solid body electric with 2 sets of Powersound humbucking pickups, and has locking tuners with fine tuners on the tremelo, the pickups can be played both isolated and together. // 8

Sound: I don't really have a style yet, I'm just learning to play guitar, used no effects with it, but it did have a full sound, much better than any of the Strats I've heard. Sounds we got out of it ranged from Neil Young to AC/DC so I think that's a nice variety there. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar did not seem to have any flaws, and the action was pretty good, my friend and I did not have to make any adjustments to the truss rod. The pickups seemed very good, it seemed a very good guitar all together. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seemed very good, like it could last through a lot, I think I could depend on it more than other guitars I've played. The finish seems like it will last, if anything, the gloss could use a little wearing down. // 8

Overall Impression: I played a lot of music on it, ranging from Neil Young to Deep Purple, to Green Day, to AC/DC and it sounded good playing all of it. What I really liked was just the whole setup, the ability to fine tune, the quality of the tremelo, the overall quality, the only thing I hated was that it wasn't mine. // 10

RG220B Reviewed by: NevermorePsalm, on november 11, 2005

Features: This guitar was bought from guitar center, brand new. It has 24 frets and master and tone controls. It is rather cheap, but good for it's price. Has an Edge Pro 2. // 8

Sound: I play shred, metal, blues and rock. I am impressed with the guitar many style ability. The pickups are crap. I'm replacing them this weekend. They dont sustain well at all and just dont sound great. I'm playing through no name amp with amazing clean, but horrible gains, so I added a distortin pedal. I'm very pleased with my clean tones, but sometime the distortion that I get won't let the strings come through. The Edge 2 works well, once you've found your sweet spot. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Came well set from the factory, but the trem needs to be set up proberly after you buy it. This is my second 220B, because I ripped apart the first, by doing many dive bombs. MY new one holds up well. Good action, no flaws but on the headstock. It has an odd peice of wood that doesnt match the rest. The finish is great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: With new pickups I may gig with it, but otherwise I would fear using it at a gig. It's reliable but everything changes underneath the lights and near the people. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall impression is that I will soon have a quality guitar together after modding it. It's strong and hearty and sounds pretty good. I hoe you'll all consider muying this guitar! // 9

RG220B Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2006

Features: This was made in Korea in 2002. It has a medium neck so it isn't one of those paper thin ones found on some other RGs. It has a cheap Floyd Rose system which usually gets the job done. One tone control, one volume. Passive electronics. 24 frets. 5-way pickup selector. Comes of course with Ibanez stock pickups. Of course these pickups should be replaced if your a more serious musician but if your a beginner this would more than likely be an upgrade for you. It is worth the price but it only meets standards. Mine didnt include anything with it when I purchased it. // 7

Sound: I play metal, stuff like Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Children Of Bodom and all of those include Hi gain amps. When you turn up the gain the pickups give you a crap load of hum. I run my guitar through a Boss NS-2 into my 200 Watt Randall. If I didn't have that Boss pedal I would go insane. Its not as bad as some guitars but its up there. One good thing is it does sound pretty good while playing with distortion on the bridge and neck pickups but any other selection sucks and you shouldent even try it. You have to run alot of gain while using this guitar cause you cant play blues or classic rock with it the sound is just way too thin. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Well when I bought the guitar I didn't know any better and I bought it without the locking screws for the floyd rose ont he neck. I soon realized that and went back and they were cool and took some off a Jackson and gave me 'em. The finish is pretty cool, its titanium. It's awesome in regards to scratches cause you have to look to find one. Also when I got the guitar the volume control was messed up (which I also didn't know better about). It would make a crackling noise when I moved it. Which I since fixed. The wood is decent, I like heavier guitars and this is on the heavier side. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It does withstand playing live cause I do it all the time. This is one of three guitars I use live and I do two songs on it everytime we play. The tuning I keep it in is drop C but this thing really eats the strings so I have to replace the strings every week basically or they sound like rubber bands. They have no life to them anymore. Strap buttons are very solid. Hardware is fine. If you were to do a show with it and nothing for backup that would be fine. You wouldn't really have any problem except the flyd rose isnt that great and it might come out of tune a little. And the finish is still fine. // 8

Overall Impression: For playing metal it gets the job done. This guitar does very well for drop tunings (if you set it up right). I've been playing for 5 years and if it were lost or stolen with all honesty I would just get another guitar in this price range. My favorite feature on it is that the neck looks cool. I would reccomend it for people beginning or the occasional player. This isnt a pro guitar so dont use it as one is what I'm saying. // 7

RG220B Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2006

Features: I'm not sure on the exact year, but from my reserch it is a 01 made in japan. the 24 fret rosewood neck is my favorit one to play out of my 5 guitar, beating out my Strat, my Epi Les Paul and my es 335. The XJ frets are great and don't feel to big like they do on the other RG's I've played. The finish I have is the midnight blue color and I love it, it don't scratch easily and it has stood up to being played, dropped, thrown in the back of the van, ect with no problems with chipping. The floyd rose isn't my favorit bridge but I love the fine tuning that it offers, I would upgrade the bridge if you use the trem alot, but it is stil a good bridge. I use some 7 string strings that I take the high string out of so there's 4 wound strings and a low 52, making me put 2 extra springs in the back but that was expected. The electronics aren't the best and I personaly would love some EMG's in there, but they are good for what they are, a little bit twangy when run through my Randall RH100G2. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of hardcore and it works great. I have a les paul with EMG's and I prefer this over it for the feel of the neck, and how well it is balanced. the tone is also pretty good when I use it in the drop C tuning I leave it in. with the Randall I have it can scream but hums a lot when not being played, I don't use pedals or other effects with it cause I just don't like them. I haven't really tried any blues jazz or anything else with it but for metal, hardcore, or any other the other genere's that use hi gain distortion it would be great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action needed to be set up when I got it but that was because of the strings I use, the extra tention was pulling the bridge almost compleatly forward. The finish is amazing as I have said before. The neck it tight in the socket and doesn't move at all but that was expected. And the finish is a gloss midnight blue. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have beat this guitar into theground and it still keeps working, I love it to death cause of its overall reliability, I had to buy a second epi les paul cause I couldn't trust it but this doesn't need a backup. The hardwear is good but I replaced the tuners with some nice grover tuners and the strapbuttons with Dunlop strap locks cause I have them on all my other guitars. I have giges this guitar with out a backup and would keep doing it too. The finishseems to be pretty thick as I have one chip from a show and could see the thickness. // 8

Overall Impression: For the price it is amazing, while it isn't a high end RG by any stretch I still love it, I have been playing 7 years and have consetnly been buying new guitars and this was my best one in my opinion, the low price matched with good quality was a winner for me cause as a musician I can't claim to have money for the high end guitars. I wish I had asked about the bridge a little bit more brofre I bought it but with a little work it is good. If it were lost or stolen I would buy another one as soon as I could. The only thing I wish it had was the higher end neck and the middle single coil, but if you want that just get the RG 350 series. // 10

RG220B Reviewed by: protohero, on july 06, 2009

Purchased from: music store

Features: I bought this used. Made in Korea. 2004 model. 24 frets, thin rosewood fingerboard. Black laquer finish. Licensed string thru floyd style trem, but traded it out with licensed original floyd trem. Active humbuckers, traded them out for EMG 81/85 combo. Regular Ibanez tuners. // 9

Sound: I played metal, All That Remains, Dragonforce music mainly. I use a Peavey studio pro112 combo, with DigiTech metal distortion. Its got a pretty bright sound very good for metal. I strived for the Dragonforce tone with this guitar mainly and I came pretty close to it, you might need some different pickups to achieve the same resonance they get but this guitar will do any metal sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set pretty low just under 2/32nd of an inch. There is no binding on the neck its just smooth unlaquered neck. Very nice. One fret was slightly too high when I got it so I had to have it sanded recrowned but that is a common and minor fix. After that it played great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: the stock pickups were ok but the emgs really made this guitar growl. The string thru floyd trem is a stupid idea. When I dive the trem the ball ends would come out of the back of the trem a little and then slap back in when I released the tremolo. So I went to guitarpartsdepot.com and bought a licensed original floyd trem unit and this thing stays in tune sooo well now. It plays perfect now. If you replace it though remember to get the 43mm nut. // 8

Overall Impression: great guitar for metal music. You def need to replace the trem unit its not expensive maybe like 70 bucks for an original floyd, and after that this guiar rocks. The neck on this guitar feels a lot like a Ibanez JS100 neck very smooth neck, but with rg body. Just change the trem unit and you'll be good to go. No need for any other guitar. // 10

RG220B Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2011

Purchased from: girl on craigslist

Features: 2001 Korean-made. Strat style body. 24 fret "Wizard" neck. Rosewood fretboard. Maple neck. Basswood body. Dual humbuckers. Volume and tone knobs. Locking nut. "Floyd Rose" tremolo bridge. Cheapo tuners probably. Super-rad, deep blue color. Came with puffy gig bag, tuner-winder, two extra strings, and two picks. // 7

Sound: Sounds pretty good on all settings. So far the cheap-o bridge stays in tune fine, despite the bad reviews that I have read about them online. Pickup selector switch crackles when I switch to or from the bridge pickup. I haven't played it out of anything big yet. Just my practice amp with my EH Big Muff. It sounds good for the rock and roll! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The jumbo frets are nice. The bridge was hard to set up the first time since this is my first "Floyd Rose" tremolo guitar. The girl I bought it from didn't have the tremolo arm either so I've ordered one for $12 from the bay. I could tell which strings were original on the guitar from when this girl bought it. She never played it so it was kind of neglected but never abused. The paint is in great condition. I might need to replace the springs in the tremolo system. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is cheaply made with cheap parts. As such, it will probably fall apart easy. But again, it's cheap so what the heck... So far, I haven't had any problems with in falling out of tune. The strings are kind of warn out so I might need to replace them sometime. I might replace the whole tremolo with a nicer "original" Floyd Rose or might just "block" it to make it fixed. // 7

Overall Impression: I initially bought this thing to turn around and sell but I'm beginning to enjoy it. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't lose much sleep. I've only played it for maybe 4 hours but so far I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would. Once I get the tremolo arm, I'm going to make my final decision whether or not to sell it. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S7521 8 Electric Guitars 11/26/2014