RG2550E Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/23/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG2550E
The RG2550 has a 24 fret thin, flat and fast Wizard Prestige neck, an Edge-Pro tremolo system, and DiMarzio pickups. Pickups and pickup placement provide the hard-edged cutting tone needed for heavy rock.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.8
 9.4
 9.8
 8.9
reviews (5) 35 comments vote for this gear:
RG2550E Reviewed by: chrisbeevor, on february 04, 2006

Purchased from: imuso

Features: Year 2005 Japanese made. Sorry, Team J-Craft that is! 24 Fret with good ole Jumbo frets, fantastic for playing with. The super duper wizard prestige neck, rosewood fretboard. I'm not usually a thin neck man but boy, this is amazingly fast. Basswood body, pretty resonant. Metallic black finish (galaxy black) with a pickguard. It's an RG, so it's like the one in the picture. Edge Pro bridge, wow the divebombing! Dimarzio electronics, one tone, one volume, 2 humbuckers and a single coil. Standard tuning heads, not really necessary due to locking nut. Full hard case with it, all the tools for adjusting the Edge pro and some spare bearings for it. // 10

Sound: I play everything from Classical to extreme Death metal and it does exactly what I bought it for. It plays everything and it plays it fast. I'm using a Marshall Valvestate 100, the older British ones and near enough any effect. It has that full Dimarzio sound. I can't put my finger on why, but yes, Dimarzio ish. No noise, sounds the guitar can make? The tremolo really unlimits the possibilities for playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set up is perfected as I expected it to be. Not the slightest buzz. It came with 9 weight strings, which I've grown fond of now. The action is all adjustable with the tools but I have no problems with it. The pickups were adjusted pretty damn well, just as you would expect them to be really. The tremolo is installed to perfection. Not the slightest flaw. At all. There are no flaws/was completely perfect out the box, only other guitar I've had that was is a Gibson Les Paul Standard, which is double the price. Not a single fault. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a very solid guitar, the neck has been reinforced at the weaker, more fragile points and the body looks as solid as anything. Tremolo I throw all over the place to and it's fine. Hardware is extremely solid, I changed the strap buttons to locks as I don't like to take chances but the originals I remember as rather steady. I never play a gig without back up, but I wouldn't expect to have problems with this. Finish is perfection. Not a slight flaw, wouldn't expect it to come off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, great cleans for classical, great leads for metal, it's an immensely fast guitar! I have been playing near 2 years now but I'm no ammateur gear wise, I am a bit of a gear geek, it is every bit as good as having a Les Paul although a completely different guitar. I own a lot of guitars, my family all play. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy it again, but I may be tempted to put the money together and buy a really expensive Ibanez now I know they are as good as people say. I would not get rid of this ever. Love it, it just does everything. I chose to compare it to a Les Paul as it is a very iconic expensive rock guitar, and this just proves that as it is more expensive, it is not better. I don't think it's missing anything. I'm sure I could come up with some random things to put in it, but no. Nothing that I can think of immediately. Go buy one now. // 10

RG2550E Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2006

Features: I just recently got this. It's made in Japan by the great Team J Craft. It came with its Prestige hard case. It has 24 jumbo frets. The neck was ok I guess. Before this I was playing a RG470, the main differences is that the neck of the 470 was much smaller. It was easier to shred on but I guess after much practice I will be able to play on this too. It has a 5-way selector, H-S-H configuration with DiMazzios. The bridge is Edge Pro, the tremolo is wicked as promised by Ibanez. The tuners are locked, the finshing is galaxy black. A lovely piece of work, I just love it. It's a great piece of work. I bought the last piece from Ibanez this series is now discontinued, so if this gets stolen I couldn't buy it again. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock and this guitar does the job for me. Though you might have to change the action to get the gain you need. The pickups are good but if you really want to go professional I would suggest installing evolution pickups. But even without those you can kick some serious asses. At the moment I am using a Zoom 505 II with a Jimi Hendrix CryBaby. The sound is ok but I am sure if I get something serious like a V-Amp 2 or maybe a PODXT Live. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar brand new so I had to do some real work. Adjusting the string tension, configuring the pickups, the bridge, adjusting the tremolo, it was some work. But it was worth it. The guitar had no flaws in it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't dropped this guitar yet but it looks solid but I wouldn't advise you to drop it. The case it came in is solid rock from the outside edges but I feel it's softer in the middle. // 9

Overall Impression: I would just say get this guitar. Install Evolution pickups if you can and go kick some major asses. // 10

RG2550E Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 23, 2008

Purchased from: Fleet ProSound

Features: 2007 model, made in Japan. 24 medium/jumbo sized frets. Body is Basswood, I believe. 5 piece neck is maple/walnut with a rosewood fingerboard. Finish is "Galaxy Black", which is a slightly metallic, beautiful color. Edge-Pro Double-Locking Ibanez bridge. DiMarzio pickups, which are pretty hot, 2 humbuckers and a single-coil. 5-way selector switch, one volume and one tone knob. Came with a beautiful case which fits the guitar perfectly, I have to line the guitar up just so, to get it in there. Also came with allen keys and a couple of extra teflon washers for the tremolo arm. // 10

Sound: Guitar has a great sound, made for rocking. My other guitars are a Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH, with Seymour Duncan humbuckers which can be coil tapped, an Epiphone Flying V and an Epiphone Dot. This guitar doesn't have the range that the Tele does, but I did not buy it for that, I bought this one for rockin'. I am playing this through a Genz Benz El Diablo (Great amp, by the way). This guitar has nice sustain, and can really do any style of music, but the DiMarzio's pick up pinch harmonics etc very nicely and Shine on the higher gain stuff, from Van Halen right on up to thrash and beyond. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is beautiful. This is my first floating trem guitar, and I was a little nervous, but this thing is definitely good quality. Everything on it seems solid, even the volume knobs. It was set up quite nicely when I bought it, but I did adjust the spring tension, and it worked out just fine. The other thing I did, and this is just me, was to lower the middle pickup. This is my first guitar that hasn't just had 2 Humbuckers, and I guess my sloppy technique can be blamed, but I kept hitting my pick on the middle single-coil. I only use two of the five positions on this particular guitar anyway (neck for leads and some clean, Bridge for everything else), so it's not a big deal. Loved the neck and action right from the store. I also really like the "sharktooth style" inlays, I saw some negative comments about them, but I guess it's just a matter of taste. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems pretty solid. Haven't played out with it yet, just the odd informal thing with friends, but you can tell this will hold up well. Hardware is solid, including strap buttons, which are fairly nice and large. I always bring backups, that's why I bought the Epiphone Flying-V, but this baby is solid. This doesn't have the new "ZPS" system to make the bridge return to zero, so a broken spring live would be nasty, but I have yet to break my D'Addario's with this thing, even when I'm doing some nasty Dimebag-style whammy tricks, good bridge I guess. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing on and off for 16 years, and this guitar is turning out to be one of my favorites in a long, long line of guitars. I've sold off all of my "classic" style guitars (Gibsons, Rickenbacker, PRS). The Korean Custom Fender Tele, and the Japanese Ibanez RG2550 are my two "go-to" guitars, strange but true. I play mostly rock stuff, and this guitar helps me get my Van Halen whammy fix, but I find it really has a nice feel for any lead playing, from jazz to rock to progressive. The neck on this thing is amazing and really feels fast but precise. If it were stolen, I would not hesitate to get a new one, and I guess I would end up getting the new option of being able to set the trem to the zero point, (the 2008's have this). I have cut way back on my guitars, effects and amps, but this thing with my Genz Benz El Diablo can do everyting from Brad Paisley, to Dave Mustaine, to Eddie Van Halen, to Dimebag, to Vai. Not that I can do all that. Great guitar. You won't be disapointed if you pick one up! // 10

RG2550E Reviewed by: ironjose, on may 26, 2006

Purchased from: Preludio Musical

Features: This guitar was made in 2006, made in japan by the Team J Craft, 24 jumbo frets, 5 piece maple, Walnut Prestige neck with rosewood fretboard, solid body super Strat style, basswood body with galaxy black finish, the bridge is the top of the line from Ibanez the edge pro, pasive electronics, one volume and one tone controls 5-way pickup selector, hum-sing-hum configuration with dimarzion Ibanez pickups, Gotoh tuners and locking nut, it came with a J craft hardshell case. // 10

Sound: I play vary types of music and it fits well when I want to play metal to pop cleans. I'm currently using a XXL Peavey head amp with a either a Boss GT-8 or a Line 6 PODXT Live, no noise at all, even if I'm using the gain at its fullest, bright and full sound, round and warm at the same time. It's a very versatile guitar for all genres. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was ok, but I think that every guitar should be set it up for everyones needs, so I set it up for my situations. The pickups were adjusted as the setup was being done. The guitar came perfect from factory no flaws what so ever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My teacher has an older model a 1990 model which was back then the 550e and it's got its original hardware and everythin else is the same, of course 15 years of using arent a walk at the park. So this will answer the question if the hardware will it last? Of course! The strap buttons are great big and solid. I can depend on the guitar but from my experience I'll always use a backup in case a string breaks. The finish was well made it's no titanium but it will last at least a decade, I guess. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, pop, hard rock, ballads, you named. I've been playing for 9 years now and this is the best guitar I own, I have another Ibanez which is Korean or Chinesse don't remember now but it was great when I bought it now after a couple of years and a few mods I think it needs a re-fresh up. If this guitar I have on my hands now got stolen I'd cry as hell and probably buy another one, no second thoughts about it. It can be compare to the older models or its predecessors. The only thing that is missing is a backstop or a trem setter but I guess that's a mod only custom made have. // 10

RG2550E Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2007

Features: Made in 2006 in Japan, 5pc Super Wizard Maple neck, Basswood body, 24 Jumbo frets, Edge Pro bridge, DiMarzio IBZ-N (H) neck pickup, DiMarzio IBZ-S (S) mid pickup, DiMarzio IBZ-B (H) bridge pickup. The guitar has a SParkly black finnish which has a slight tint of purple on the light reflection, Ibanez call this Galaxy Black, I wields a double locking floyd rose, has 2 controls volume and a tone, and has 5 pickup selections. It also came with a free hard case which comes in handy and tool for the floyd rose locking system. // 10

Sound: RG typically made for the Metal sound, for me works great as I am a metal guitarist, I have played the ocasion blues and such others and so far hasn't let me down with it's sound, ATM I am only using a Line 6 Spider 3 HD75 put threw an Ashdown cab 4X12 100W, has an exelent sound very good pickups, and is not a noisy guitar on any setting yet still picks up all you need it to. Pinchs are great and open threat chugs could make your bowls shake. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recived my guitar it was set up perfectly in a Standard tuning although to me this is no use as I play in drop C, I didn't hesitate in tuning the beast down, didn't take me long as I came in luck when tuning it down and tightening the bridge at the back in alternate and finally geting the flush bridge and the same action as in Standard, this guitar had no flaws being a prestige guitar everything down to the volume selector can have a defining difference to normal guitars. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has so far not let me down and has took some punishment from crazy crowd antics, I have only taken a backup guitar in case of a sting breaking as will all guitarsist using a floyd rose as they will know how long it takes to replace a string. Seen as this guitar has taken a beating so far in my hands and other of crazy spectators I can assure you it is built to last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this guitar is meant for metal and it puts it's message acorss perfectly in it's sound, to most peoples suprise I have been playing only 1 year and 3 months but have been told by various guitarists I sound like and look like I have been playing for a good 7 years, I would put this down to my addiction of playing it everyday for atleast 2 hours hehe. practice makes perfect they say. I own 2 other guitars which includes my 1st guitar of a squire Strat, and my backup which is an ESP LTD M50 purposly bought just for backup purposes due to the awful sound of the Strat. If I lost or had this guitar stolen I would search high and low for it not buy another one hehe, but if I had to I would definately buy another. I love the pickups and the neck if I was to pick up my old guitars they wud feel like tree trunks to me, the neck is so smooth and thin I can shred gallop sweep all day long which strugle. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014