RG2550EX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/02/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG2550EX
The RG5050EX features a super wizard neck, basswood body, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard, brown mirror dot inlays, and Edge Pro bridge.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 9.4
 9.9
 8.8
reviews (4) 8 comments vote for this gear:
RG2550EX Reviewed by: Tiamat, on january 04, 2006

Purchased from: http://www.guitar.com.au

Features: My new RG2550E Prestige is an awesome guitar, it was made in 2005 in japan, it has 24 jumbo frets, with a Wizard prestige neck, which is one of the thinnest necks I've seen on a guitar, and helps you to stretch further and play faster. It has a rosewood finger board and the neck is a 5 piece maple/walnut. its a solid top, and its made from Basswood, which gives a great tone and sustain, particualarly for heavy metal. The basswood is extremely light aswell, which makes playing live a lot easier as you can play for a long time without feeling any aches or pains in your shoulders or neck. It has a "galaxy black" finish, which is a black coat with a kind of silver speckle ffect, like theyve run a bit of silver glitter through the paint. It has an "Edge Pro" bridge, which is basically a floyd rose, and is a great trem. For controls, you get your 5 way selector (silent too), volume and tone knobs. The guitar has 2 Dimarzio Overwound humbuckers, and a centre singe coil pickup. The overwounds have a great amount of sustain, and the single coil is great for acoustic songs. It has a locking nut, and I have tuned my guitar once in about 3 and a half weeks and it hasnt come out of tune yet. The guitar came with a hard case and tools for every part of the guitar. // 10

Sound: I'm mostly into playing metal, and this guitar is amazing when it comes to it. Even on my 15w Sammick practice amp, it has a nice crunch to the overdrive and has a great sound. It doesn't make any unwanted buzzing or interference on the humbuckers, and I have only ever experienced humming on the single coil, and that was on a 120 watt speaker box with volume up all the way. It has a great variety of sounds, with crisp clean playing on the bridge humbucker, to almost acoustic sounds on the single coil. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly when I got it, I took it down to my tutor and he said that there was nothing to be done to it. I adjusted the bridge pickup myself closer to the strings but they were set up well at the factory. When I got the guitar there were no flaws whatsoever in it, and I have not found any as yet, and I've owned it for about 2 months now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand live playing, and the entire guitar should last me a very long time, the strap buttons are solid, but I have replaced them with strap locks (just to be on the safe side). I can definatley depend on this guitar, and I would use it at a gig without a backup for sure. The finish is just as great as when I got it, and I doubt it will come off unless I went at it with a scalpel. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, so this guitar was a great match for me. I've been playing for about 4 years now, and I own another essex guitar (unknown model, cost me $250), and playing this is amazing to playing that. If it were stolen, then my insurance would pay for it, but yes I would buy it again, its an amazing guitar. I love the neck on it, it truly is a dream to play, and the floyd rose has kept my guitar in tune for 3 weeks now. I compared this to other BC Richs and other IBZ Prestiges, and this was a clear winner. This guitar has everything I want and need on it, and it is an amazing guitar. // 10

RG2550EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2004

Purchased from: Eastgate Music

Features: Year made, 2004 in Japan. 24 XJ Frets, with a nice super wizard neck. Nice blue finished top, like the colour of one of Vai's JEMs. Also has a black mirrored pickguard, with mirrored dot inlays. Body made out of basswood. Bridge, is a edge pro floyd rose, with gotoh tuners. Passive Dimarzio/IBZ pickups with a five way Switch. // 10

Sound: I play anything. This guitar is very versatile. Pickups are great. I had been trying the shitty Ibanez guitars until I bumped into this one. The first time I tried it out, it opened my eyes, to Ibanez guitars, and it took me away to a special place where I could imagine myself playin for hours and hours. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was setup by the dudes, at the music store. The guitar contained no flaws, and everything was cool. Black mirrored pickguard is cool. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing and the hardware, and finish look as if they would be alright for a few more decades, no problem. Strap buttons are unusually huge, but they are probably there to combat the weight a bit. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar, I reccomend to anyone wanting to purchase a guitar, that doesnt have too much cash, but wants something of value, and resell value. This can compare to Les Paul sound, without the hefty price tag and it also has sustain which can last for days. From now, on I will only mostly be lookin at Ibanez Prestige Guitars in the Ibanez range. The last words of wisdom are: Scrap the standard Rgs and skip straight to the Prestige series. It will be worth your while. // 10

RG2550EX Reviewed by: shadysand, on august 05, 2006

Purchased from: A German Internet Store

Features: The Ibanez RG2550EX Prestige is a wonderfull electric solidbody guitar. Its body is made of basswood and is typically RG-shaped. This RG has got the special Wizard neck. It is very thin and really comfortable to play on. The neck is made of maple and has got 24 jumbo frets. The bridge the guitar is equipped with, is called Pro Edge and it's (nearly) the same as a floyd rose. The controls we've got are a volume and a tone cnob, thas all. The electronics and pickups are passive. We have got two humbuckers and one singlecoil all from DiMarzio in the H/S/H position. When I bought it (for only 818 euro) I got a Ibanez Prestige case, which is a really nice one with much pockets inside, and also tools and an how-to-use-instruction. For the price which is much cheaper then now (818 Eur then, 998 Eur now). I have baught a superb guitar in a superb case and superb accessoiers! // 10

Sound: I play guitar for 5 years now. I love to play metal mainly. But I still like playing blues, jazz or some other balade-like things. I use a Hughes & Kettner Matrix Combo with a additional 2X12 Box. In my setup I've got two distortion pedalas (DigiTech Metal Master & Boss Metal Zone). The other effecs are in my amp. For this things the RG 2550 is the very best chice. The Bridge DiMarzio pickup is a great! When you play him on clean settings he's warm and blues-like. But when you swith to distortion (I preffer real much gain and less mids) then you will get a metal sound of the very nice kind: not so monotone like the EMGs and not to unidentified for rock (you'll have to find the right gain amount, because the bride pickup is very hard). The mid single coil is superb for all clean settings. As at home, so live he always serves best, without noising around and stuff. The neck one is simmilar to the bridge pickup but sounds much lower. A real bass machine. The between-settings sound ok but nothing, compared to the one pickup settings. You can make a lot of sound, because of the rich amount of pickups, but I think this guitar serves all heavy-types of music best. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set very well at the factory. they gave very good strings on it (I think D'Addarios). The pickup were adjusted well too. I had to adjust the bridge, but only because I use dountunigs, but with the user-info inside the case it was not a problem. The guitar arrived without any stains or flaws. Everything was great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play this guitar live and it's much more solid, then it looks like. Two times a friend of mine bashed the nek of my guitae where the Head starts and there wasn't even a scrath. But I scratched the fingerboard ones, but you nearly see it, and it doesn't disturb when you play. I have allways a Epiphone SG (it the property of our bass player) when I play live, because it is really long work to changa a string and tune the floyd rose bridge, but it's in all floyd rose-bridges guitars, so it's ok. It is very tune-stabilize. so you can play live without beeing afraid of beeing out of tune! I play this guitar for two years now it's still like on the first day (exept the scratch I did). // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, I play metal (death, speed, doom), Blues and Jazz. All in all it fits the music directions without a problem (with an ordinary metal axe, you've got a problem with jazz or some real good clean things). I play since 5 years, using a Hughes & Kettner Matrix Combo with a additional 2X12 Box. in my setup I've got two distortion pedalas (DigiTech Metal Master & Boss Metal Zone). The other effecs are in my amp. If the guitar would be stolen or lost I would be very unhappy and start collecting new mone for the same instrument! I love the colour and the metal pickguard. The best things are the bridge, the pickups and the neck. It is the best guitar I ever played, and trust me I tested many ohter like SG, Strat, or other RG's but I realized, that at this point the guitar has everything I want, the only guitar I would like more ist this one as my own signature verion (than I would change the neck pickup in a Seymour Duncan Black Invader and turn the HEadstock upside down, like the RG of seven from slipkont, but this is only fantasy, the RG2550EX Prestige is real! // 10

RG2550EX Reviewed by: Zy_, on july 02, 2008

Features: The Ibanez RG2550EX (Now renamed 2550Z) is one of the new RG Prestege series from Ibanez's 2008 catalouge. It is one of the new 'Team J-Craft' special editions, and has a 'Galaxy White' finish with a black/greish pickguard. It is also lucky enough to have the all new DiMarzio/ibz pickups, which are quite good. It also has the special Edge Pro trem system, which is a fusion of EdgeIIIand the ZPS-3, which is no Floyd Rose, but does have a Floating Bridge setup, and works well. It also has a new Top-Lok system which eliminates the need for a tension retainer bar on the locking nut. It has a new 24-fret ultrathin WizardIII neck, so it plays fast, the ergonomic bolt-on means high frets are easy to access. The 5-Piece maple neck feels solid, but I did have to adjust the truss rod slightly. The new model also has 'Hollow Sharktooth' inlays, which are basically sharktooth outlines. It came with the special Prestege Series hardcase, and the place I got it from gave me 2 sets of spare strings (one Standard, one Drop C), a tin of free Ozark picks, a Planet Waves cable, a Planet Waves strap, and a Planet Waves guitar care kit. Very good. // 10

Sound: It has a 5-way selector Switch, which controls the 3 pickups. They follow a Standard humbucker-single-humbucker by DiMarzio, which are all passive. The middle pickup is utter SHIT, and I recommomend staying away. The humbuckers are the exact opposite, however. I always use the bridge pickup as it gives harsher distortion, and it sound marvellous. Even without distortion, the clean is actually very clean. I play mostly Rock/Power Pop/Metal and whilst looking slightly out of place in the Pop genre, it sounds good everywhere. The neck pickups get slightly fuzzy as your lows get higher. I use a Marshall AVT100 (100watts) + AVT Amp head, and it sounds very good with my style. Scraping, tapping and harmonics aren't complimented very well, but you can do it. Generally apart from the waste of space, time and money of the middle pickup, it is brilliant. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I was buying it, after I told him I had a gig in 2 days, he said 'You could play it in 2 minutes with this.' And it was true. The neck was perfect apart from the minor truss rod problems I mentioned eariler. The pickups were good, and a few days later, the bottom strap button was loose, but super-glue fixed it soon. But from the factory, it was very good. Nothing wrong as far as I could see. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, it withstands live gigs, in fact, I dropped it once, and that was how the strap button mentioned earlier was loosened. But other than that, it is very enduring. Strap buttons are good, the pickups will last ages, I mean, they're not called the 'Roadster Guitars' for nothing. I need a backup, but only for alternative tunings. If it was stolen, I would obviously try to get it back before buying a new one, but if it came down to it, I would. The built-in Ikea tools are useful if my set does not have anything in Drop C, so I wouldn't need a backup then. They are almost as enduring as my Gibson SG GT. // 10

Overall Impression: I said I play mostly rock/metal, and this fits in fine. I have been playing for at least 4 years and the only thing that comes close is my customized Ibanez XPT700. All I needed was to play it, and want it immediately. I already said I would buy a new one if it came down to it. I love it so much. Of course, the middle pickup is like having fruit flavoured metal. Pointless and shit, but appeals to the odd. The only possible change I wish it had was a Floyd Rose, but the Edge Pro is good enough. I wonder if Ibanez know that they have just created a GibsonSlayer? // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014