RG2550Z Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/14/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG2550Z
Fast, flat and thin 5-piece Wizard necks with Prestige finishing for supreme comfort. Edge Zero bridge with ZPS3 spring system. DiMarzio IBZ pickups deliver rabid rock tones. Gotoh precision tuning machines. Includes deluxe Prestige case.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.4
 9.1
 9.2
reviews (5) pictures (3) 31 comments vote for this gear:
RG2550Z Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2008

Features: Made in 2007 in the Fugijen factory in Japan (Prestige series). 24 jumbo frets for lead and shred playing. The neck is a 5 piece maple/walnut Wizard Prestige. 24 frets. The finish is incredibly smooth and slippery compared to my Squier Strat. Rosewood fretboard. Body is basswood, comes in galaxy black and white, both with tiny gold dust in finish. Didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. Standard RG body, sharper edges than a Strat, still felt at home playing this as my previous guitar was a Squier Strat. New for 2008 Edge Zero bridge. Passive DiMarzio IBZ pickups. 1 tone, 1 volume controls, 5-way p-up selector. HSH config, non locking Gotoh tuners. // 10

Sound: Suits my style perfectly. The RG series are renowned for their shred and metal capabilities and that suits me being into Vai, Satch, Gilbert and many more bands like that. Using with a Fender 15 watt Frontman (came with my Squier) for general home playing. Mesa 5:25 Express for recording and gigs. With a heap of gain and at very loud volumes, there is a very slight sound from the humbuckers but it's so small no one in their right minds would care about it. The single coil of course buzzes like it should lol. I was quite surprised by the fact that you can get a very genuine Strat sound out of this guitar on the single coil. The neck humbucker sings very nicely and the bridge pickup is of course great for leads. Harmonics are picked up very well on this guitar even on the neck pickup. The neck pickup doesn't sound as deep and "bassy" compared to my Squier but that's because it's placed closer to the bridge than on a Strat. Definately the most truly versatile guitar I've played. Everything from funk (thanks to the single coil) through to metal and everything in between. With the tone knob rolled down a bit you can even get some jazzy tones. The humbuckers obviously create a much thicker, fuller sound than single coils and cause my Mesa to break up far easier than the single coil. I don't feel the need to replace them. The Edge Zero is amazing. Returns to 0 point every time with even constant whammy abuse for as long as you want. Pulling up and holding up on the bar causes it go to slightly out, but this is true for any Ibanez Edge and you'd be hard pressed to find a floating bridge that doesn't. Has the ZPS3 bar in the cavity which means there's greater tension when pushing down but not when pulling up. Stays in perfect tune IF SET UP PROPERLY. I cannot stress this enough, but you need to set up the damn guitar properly before you start whining about tuning problems. Taking out the ZPS3 bar effectively turns this into an Edge Pro. This can be done without any fluctuation in the tuning. Contrary to what Ibanez say, however, it does not stay in tune when breaking a string with the ZPS3 bar in. Still, a perfect bridge. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I played the guitar in the shop twice before I bought it, and I've worked there before and the guys there always set guitars up before they go on show, so it was pretty damn spot on. Hadn't been tuned for a few months, but it was still relatively in tune and played great. The pickups were adjusted fine (I lowered the single coil myself for easier picking access). All cavities and screws tightened properly (I checked... ). Literally everything was in perfect order (I set up the action, neck and bridge to my liking). Small bit of dried paint that was around the neck bolts peeled off with a fingernail but that has absolutely 0 bearing on the playing of the guitar or anything else so that doesn't worry me in the slightest. Everything else was perfect. That's what you can expect from an Ibanez Prestige. // 10

Reliability & Durability: About a week after I got it, I placed it badly on my stand it completely slipped off and fell down on the floor on it's neck. I nearly died on the spot. Thankfully, there was 0 damage apart from a tiny ding on the end of the neck. The hardware seems very robust (apart from the intonation locking screws, I ordered a few more of these as the heads on these strip very easily, not the guitar's fault, just Ibanez's). The Edge Zero is of course very well made and so were the strap buttons (I replaced with locking straps). The nut is also very well constructed. The finish however on the hardware of the bridge (fine tuners and stuff)and nut will eventually wear off, but I really couldn't give a crap. Doesn't affect the playability. I've gigged with this without a backup and it very easily withstands Live playing. Built like a tank. Finish is thick enough. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for my playing. If you're looking for a metal/shred/progressive/rock guitar this will do it with a breeze, however, it also can cope with many other things (funk, jazz, whatever). I've been playing for 3 years and this is my second guitar (Squier Strat as first). Nothing I wish I'd really asked before buying. If it was stolen I'd make it my life goal to hunt down the bastard Who took it, kill his dog and take my goddam guitar back. Had he destroyed it, I'd kill his family and buy ten more of this guitar. I really don't hate anything about this guitar. The things I didn't really like before (sharktooth inlays, speckled finish) have grown on me. My favourite part would have to be the bridge, it's awesome. I've read about people putting it down, but it's really good (if set up well... ) I reccommend ibanezrules.com and jemsite.com for all the information you'll ever need. I chose this guitar because I wanted a basic RG being a huge fan of Vai. However, I never wanted a JEM as I don't really believe in signature models. JEMs are great, but I want my own guitar, not Steve Vai's. I didn't play the regular RGs but I played a Prestige S series and hated the neck. This RG was perfect for me. Couldn't be anything I wish it had (even has an allen key holder, saved my life more than once). // 10

RG2550Z Reviewed by: Avenged.InFlame, on september 08, 2008

Features: This is the 2008 model featured at the winter NAMM show, it has the ghost shark inlays up it's 24 jumbo fret, 5-piece wizard neck, a Rose wood fretboard, the body is made of Basswood. I'm sure you all know the body style, it's got an Edge ZR bridge with the ZPS3 mod. There's the double locking system which holds a tune very very well, and the toplok at the end of the neck erases the need for a retainer bar and the Gotoh tuners work really well behind the locks. the guitar comes with a nice J. Craft hard case free of charge, the tremelo arm of course and the 2 alan keys for your locks and saddles. And I have a quick question for anyone Who reads this, does Floyd Rose make the Edge Bridges for Ibanez? I've heard some things around and I just wanted to know. // 9

Sound: Well this guitar has the H-S-H pickups style with the 5 way selector Switch, all 3 pickups are DiMarzio IBZ pickups, the pickup position in 1st position (bottom) uses the bridge humbucker which puts out some high end rock sounds good for metal rhythm and some kick ass soloing, the 2nd position uses the single coil and outer inner coil of the bridge humbucker and this puts out some nice almost acoustic cleans and bluesy sounds when alittle gain is added to it, the middle position is just the IBZ single coil, witch is extremely low output you have to increase the volume to hear a tele-like clean and distortion, the 4th position uses the single coil and inner coil on the neck pickup wich gives you a lower acoustic clean sound and a nice low blues or shred sound with an adequate amount of gain, the 5th position puts you in the shred position with the neck humbucker and oh man with the right amount of gain you can perfect sweeps, dive bombs, and kind of shredding. I run this guitar through a Line 6 Spider III and the 2 are a match just like a Gibson and a Marshall it's a match made in heaven. the guitar puts out a nice crisp clean sound and a face melting metal rock sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: well I had a 2006 RG2550EX before this and the action is substantially lower, I set it low myself, in fact, I had to do most of the setup myself after I bought it, now don't get me wrong the setup wasn't bad when I got it, but my personal taste had to adjust it, the pickups are amazing in every way the magnets don't pull the strings down (they aren't to close) and the neck isnt a through it's a bolt on but it's nothing like I've ever worked with before perfect overall setup. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar Live and it lives up to the Ibanez name that so many have established before it, I know I will be able to use this guitar for years and years to come, everything on this guitar is reliable and after I get my stabilizer for the trem it will be reliable forever, and the strap buttons were nice, but just to be safe I got the strap locks. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of blues, thrash, rock, and metal and this guitar holds up to all of them even acoustic I have an Epiphone goth LP, an LTD EC-1000 Deluxe, and a Fender american Strat, and I choose this Ibanez over them all, if it were stolen I would cry for weeks until I got another one; ) lol, I love how well this guitar holds in tune and just the sex appeal of this amazing axe, the only thing I have to say against it is the capacitor isnt so great but eh oh well everything else is perfect. // 8

RG2550Z Reviewed by: ThatsAgood1jay, on july 10, 2009

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: Made in Japan, this guitar features a 5 piece Maple/Walnut Prestige neck topped with a beautiful Rosewood fingerboard and jumbo frets makes for a very speedy combination. A thick Basswood body provides great tone and sustain. The pickups are DiMarzio/Ibanez design in a H-S-H setup and can be coaxed into making any tone you want. And all the Hardware is in a very luxurious Cosmo Black finish which feels and looks great. the Gotoh tuners are extremely smooth and easy to work with. This guitar comes with a form molded Team J. Craft case which will only fit this guitar (i actually tried fitting a friends 2550 into it and it would not work). The case is very sturdy and has plenty of space for any needed accessories at a gig. // 9

Sound: Upon receiving the guitar, I was having some sustain issues. But with a quick raising of the pickups that problem was eliminated. Now I can hold a note for as long as I want. This guitar through my Peavey Valveking 212 sounds absolutely amazing. It delivers warm tones for smooth blues. Or can get down n' dirty with some heavy distortion for metal and everything in between. I will admit that the middle single pickup is a bit on the weak side. But its not a major problem. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is absolutely perfect. While the Edge-Zero bridge does not have string saddles for independent action adjustments. This drawback is corrected with a well built bridge unit and an excelling truss rod that can be manipulated to fit anyones playing style or remove any string buzz's that may occur. The ZPS3 tremolo system takes some getting used too, but once set up correctly it really does keep you in tune after you get done with dive bombs or lifts on the trem. My only complaints about this guitar are that the Fine Tuners on the back of the bridge are very stiff and require lots of pressure to turn, which kind of defeats the definition of "fine tuning". The guitar is in the Galaxy White finish with a bronze colored pickgaurd. The finish is absolutely stunning to say the least. And then once onstage and the lights glitter off the gold flakes in the paint, it really does impress. Lots of clearcoat make for a very durable finish as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: To say this guitar is built like a tank is an understatement. I feel like i could go Pete Townshend on a drum set with it, and then go play another gig with it. Everything on the guitar feels very durable, and almost "chunky". Its a very satisfying feeling. Strap buttons are very oversized for added stability. AS stated above, the finish appears to be heavily clear coated for durability. While this guitar is built like a tank, it still gets temperamental about tuning when the weather shifts. If its an outdoor show I would not go without a backup guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: With my playing style mostly progressive-metal, this guitar is absolutely perfect for me. While its not as good as my Music Man JP6, it is an extremely good guitar for the price. I highly recommend it to anyone Who is searching for a versatile, and extremely good looking guitar. If it were stolen, I would absolutely replace it, without a doubt. // 9

RG2550Z Reviewed by: ABrandNewName1, on june 23, 2011

Price paid: € 1.1

Purchased from: 4Sound

Features: Well. I'm not a technical genius, so I will go through this chapter very quick. The guitar is made in Japan, by Team J. Craft, just like all the RG guitars. It has 24 jumbo frets, basswood body, and Edge Zero tremolo and DiMarzio IBZ in both bridge, middle and neck position. These are passive pickups. The pickups are the worst thing on the guitar. But this can be changed! // 7

Sound: I play everything from blues to heavy metal, and the guitar is a beast! I've owned it for a year, and the sound is nice! The IBZ pickups seems to be a bit muddy, when you use them for a full saturated sound. So I've changed the pick-ups to: Crunch Lab in the bridge, LiquiFire in the neck and a Jem-single-coil - all by DiMarzio of course. This made the guitar into a tone-MONSTER! The sustain were increased, more crunch were added, more clean distortion. The guitar screams now! The upgrade increased the toneoptions of this guitar! The IBZ has a full sound. A little beeffy, which I didn't liked that much. They fit classic rock very well! But that's not what I play. I use the guitar with a Marshall TSL60 head, and I boost the signal with a Wylde overdrive - Thise gives me enough gain! The tone is bright and hard (not cold, but hard like a Mesa Boogie tone), but that is caused by the pickup change. This is a minor thing of course. The guitar is just lovely to play! The neck is thin and easy to shred on and the guitar is balanced so well! (compared to my Les Paul, which I have to hold constantly, so it won't fall down. I can actually write this review of my Ibanez, without worring about it (yes, I sit and play on it, while I write). Anyways, with this setup I can go from a cranked bluesy tone to a heavy metal saturated tone! Lovely! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't remember the setup back then, but since ever never really changed it, or felt that I neeeded to, it must have been dammn good! I addjusted the pickups to add some sustain, and to lower the singlecoil a bit, so I didn't scratch it with my evil picking-hand! The Bridge is just perfect, when set up properly (VERY important! Before you start to whine about tuning-problems!) the guitar is just perfect. I do not tune my guitar very often, and I rape the strings and the Edge Zero. I love it! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never gigged with this guitar, but I feel very safe with this guitar. Of course would a bring another guitar, just in case! But it would not be because of this guitar. It seems very reliable. And very solid! The finish is very thick, and it should last many years! (again, compared to my Les Paul which lost the gold-finnish on the pickups very fast). I changed the strap buttons to strap locks, just because I run and jump with my guitars. I think they would be good enough, but I never really used the stock straps. I changed the buttons to strap locks within the first week. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar matches everything I need! Or, it dd not give me a Mesa Boogie, and that is what I need. But still, when my amp and guitar works together. Small baby notes starts to pop out of the amp. The tone is beautiful! It suits my playing very perfect! I've been playing for 2 years, and some months. But I bought this guitar after just one year of playing. I compared it to a Strat (which were the guitar I actually wanted to buy, but then I just had to play the Ibanez, and I felt in love instantly). If this guitar got stolen, I would by another, and better Ibanez or the same model. I love the neck. I love the variety of tones. The body. The edge Zero, but, but! I HATE the place the vol. Knob is placed! That f--cking knob ruins my palm muting on the higher strings. And the stock pickups. But that's everything. The guitar is a tank. And with the right pick-ups, a tone monster (a BETTER tonemonster! - 'cause the stock is not bad. I'm just very selective. A better place for tone/vol knobs would be perfect. I do not give 10 points, because there's nothing "PERFECT", but there is something "DAMN good"! // 9

RG2550Z Reviewed by: derAlchemist, on july 14, 2011

Price paid: € 1150

Purchased from: thomann.de

Features: Made in Japan 2009 Description on thomann.de: - basswood body, - 24 jumbo frets, - full Shark inlays, - edge zero tremolo, - 1x DiMarzio IBZ-N humbucker (neck), - 1x DiMarzio IBZ-S single-coil(middle) - 1x DiMarzio IBZ-B humbucker (bridge) - mirror pickguard, - includes case. - Colour: Galaxy White - one tone and one volume knob - 5-way-switch - gotoh tuners - rosewood fretboard My opinion: Tremolo-system is a kind of "upgraded floyd rose", what means the system is kept in balance by two spring-systems (in different directions) so the Bridge keeps in the right position if a string brakes or is detuned or so. In the other hand you have to use slightly more power to use the tremolosystem, not a great disadvantage but you will feel it when playing. The system can be converted in an usual Floyd Rose system easily and wihtout special tools or knowledge, so the choice is yours. The tension of the strings can be adjusted without tools (there's a wheel on the backplate so you can do this really fast, very good). Anyway you cannot really change the tuning on stage, it still takes about five minutes! Pickups are medium to high output (passive). Finish is called Galaxy White, its white with very small golden parts in it, looks cool, but you have to come close to see the gold, I doubt that someone will see this when you are on stage. The Pickguard is called "mirror-pickguard" but its more like metal, not a real mirror, looks great anyway. All in all a state of the ART super-strat with excellent and clever features. // 10

Sound: I use this one with a Marshall AVT 50 Combo (hybrid: tube preamp+ solid state), Boss SD-1 and Boss MT-2 for distortion and Boss GT-8 for all other effects. I mainly play Metallica, but also some rock stuff like AC/DC, Chili Peppers, Black Sabbath, Guns N Roses and so on, some pop-punk (u know stuff) and sometimes Hendrix. So you see that are some real different sounds. So here comes one of the advantages of this guitar: its versatility. Sure: there are better guitars for metallica, and better guitars for acdc, but this guitar can do all of this at a high level. The sound is relativly bright (even the humbuckers) and has not endless sustain compared to guitars with set-neck. All in all a good workhorse for metal players as well as top 40 players. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup was good, it was a plug and play (very good, remember, it has a free-floating-tremolo). othing negative about the finish, hardware etc. Only problem is that the pickup selector and the volume knob are a bit noisy, could be better for that price. The feeling when playing this guitar is incredible, it has a very thin neck and real low strings, it almost plays itself, verrrrrry good! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seem solid to me, will survive for decades I guess. Well the neck is quite thin, could probably break when you hit it somevery really hard, but I never did this its just an idea. Finish will last really long, once I dropped the guitar from one meter on stone-floor => only some almost invisible scratches, nothing else. If the strings are new, I would use it without backup (if I only play in standard-tuning // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for 5 years and I have been playing this guitar for 2 years now. I also own a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Schecter C-1 Blackjack. I sold my Fender American Vintage Strat so I can afford this one (vintage freaks, please don't kill me, but I have never regret this). // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014