RG2620 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/24/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG2620
This guitar is very suitable for a wide range of music styles. It has very clear and bright sound. One more excellent guitar from world famous Ibanez.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
RG2620 Reviewed by: razordimeback, on april 24, 2006

Purchased from: steve's music

Features: This guitar was made in japan in 2005, has 24 frets, he fretboard is made of rosewood. It's made of basswood so the sound is not too trebly and not too bassy I really like it. The finish is a marble like blue (called cube). It's equiped with an Edge Pro bridge (a licensed floyd rose bridge, double locking) and it's really nice, stays in tune even after many hours of whammy bar dips. The pickups are passive DiMarzio/Ibanez pickups and the give a nice clean sound while they can deliver a nice overdrive and distorted sound. Has 1 volume and 1 tone 2 humbuckers and a 5-way selector so we can get many pickup configurations. // 10

Sound: This guityar suits my style perfectly. I pretty much things like Pearl Jam, Metallica, Megadeth, Kiss and other old rock bands. I use it with a Randall G2 series combo, a Boss GE-7 equalizer and a DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory. The pickups give you a really nice clean sound, and there isn't any hum with high levels of distortion. You cxan get pretty much all what ytou want from this guitar unless you want a single coil type of sound. It would have been nice to have a copil tap to make the bridge become a single coil. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, everything was perfect, the action was perfect, just high enough so there is no fretbuzz. Everything was perfectly in tune and it was perfectly prepared. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would surely be good for live playing, but I would not use it without a backup because of the time it takes to change a string if it breaks with the floyd rose bridge. The strap buttons are really solid, I can make moves with the guitar and it never falls. The harware seems pretty tuff and the finish does not even scratch when I pick so this is a good point. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my styles perfectly, I've been playing for roughly 2 years and I play very much. I also own a BC Rich Warlock with an EMG 81 in the bridge and I really prefer this guitar than the BC Rich but the pickups are better than the EMG 81 (especially for overdrive and clean). If it were stolen, I would sure buy another, unless I have the money to buy a Jackson Kelly USA. This is my favorite guitar of my 3 ones (BC Rich Acrylic Ice and Alvarez acoustic 12 string guitar). I wish it had a copil tap so I could make the bridge become a single coil but it's really nice like it is right now, I was surprised of how good it is for the price. // 10

RG2620 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2005

Features: - Wizard Prestige neck - 5pc. maple/walnut neck material - Basswood body - 24 jumbo frets - Rosewood fingerboard - Edge Pro bridge - DiMarzio IBZ (H) Neck PU - DiMarzio IBZ (H) Bridge PU - Pearl dot inlay. Basswood Body is a comparatively lightweight wood, which makes it very comfortable for extended playing. With a good balance of highs and lows, basswood is right in between alder and mahogany in sound character. Jumbo frets offer easy playing for leads and chording. Rosewood fingerboard offers a strong, bright sound and an attractive appearance with a long grain. // 10

Sound: This guitar is very suitable for a wide range of music styles: from blues an jazz, from classic rock to various metal sounds. The sound of this instrument isn't noisy, instead it's very clear and bright. It's very definitive with clear low and good balanced between high and mid. I suppose, this guitar may be used through a lot of gears without any losses for its amazing sounding. Very good job of factory team. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was made very well on factory and there aren't any obvious faults. Its own pickups are very good, artificial harmonics is easy to get in any position in the fretboard. The action is very low, but no buzz! But if you guess that it's too high on your instrument, this misunderstanding can be eliminated very simply. But some adjustment nevertheless should be carried out. Though generally, you get this guitar in very well-deserved conditions. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems pretty reliable. It definitely will withstand live playing without backup, but for the absolute certainty you might have another instrument. The strap buttons are solid. The finish is also solid. The hardware was made to serve forever. Everything is sturdy and very well constructed. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a very good guitar. In collaboration of this instrument with your skilful hands and convenient amplifier and assortment of guitar effects it would arise a very good team. Once again, great job of Ibanez! They keep their mark in musician circle in fairness. And this guitar prove Ibanez grandeur one more time. // 10

RG2620 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Purchased from: Local Dealer

Sound: I play mainly a progressive melodic metal style and it's great for that. I also play Korn stuff and Limp Bizkit stuff with it and it's perfect (this is one of the same models Wes Borland uses). It's a very versatile guitar. I play it through a celestion loaded, Crate Blue Voodoo 150 and it's amazing. Not noisy at all, it has a nice thick full sound. The floyd rose trem is sweet for giving the sound an scary wobble. It's and all around sweet guitar. I mainly play in a whole step down (A D G C F A D) and it's great but it's also great in any tuning. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was ok for a standard gage string but I use 11-70 gage so I had to fix that. Not too hard. The pickups were perfect. The finish isn't layed on real well though. I've got quite a few battle scars and I don't get real crazy while playing so the paint good be better, sweet color though. The volume control gets a little fuzzy when starting with it all the way up and turning it back like 30 degrees but most of the time I have it at 10 anyway. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can really take live playing. I'd use it without a backup (and have). The strap buttons are solid, as is the hardware but like I already said the finish is a little chinsey. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a great match for my progressive, melodic, metal style it's nearly perfect. I've been playing for about 3 years and I own a BC Rich KKV (with EMG's and a floyd rose), a Dean Avlanche MQ, and a Crate Blue Voodoo 150 full stack. I would probably get another if I were to lose it. I may get it in black though. I love the weight of it and the sound and how comfortable it is. I don't like the chinsey paint though. Overall I'd say it's good but almost excellent. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014