RG2EX1 Review

8.9
 7.7
reviews (11) pictures (3) 47 comments vote for this gear:
RG2EX1 Reviewed by: RideTheAnger13, on june 26, 2006

Features: Made around 2005 or 2006 in Indonesia. 24 extra-jumbo frets with a very fast and thin Ibanez neck with a rosewood fingerboard and a black binding with white side dots (and also dot inlays). It's a solid top mahogany body. I bought the white colored one. It is an Ibanez RG double cutaway styled body. It has a fixed bridge. One volume knob, one tone knob, and a 3-way selector. Passive EMG-designed Ibanez pickups in a humbucker-humbucker configuration. Stock non-locking tuning machines. The included accessories were an instrument cable and 2 allan wrenches (for the truss rod and bridge saddles). Great, thin double octave neck, mahogany body, and solid stock dual humbuckers granted a 9 for my rating. // 9

Sound: Suits any metalhead very well, but also has a suprisingly bassy and great sounding neck pickup for jazz (Although I doubt any jazz player would pick up a pointy guitar). Won't be as good for country or blues, and can do rock and metal the best. I play thrash (mainly Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer) and has an awesome bridge pickup for metal rhythm and lead. With distortion-filled solos I usually use either the neck or the bridge pickup. For cleans I use both pickups or the bridge. It's more a preference that I don't use the neck that much for cleans because it has a very bassy sound (obviously from the mahogany body) that, like I said before, is great for jazz chords and such. My current set-up isn't as capable as the set-up I fell in love with in Guitar Center which was the Vox AD50VT. The RG2EX1 had a rich sound on the cleans, and great clear, articulate high gain tones from what I tested. The guitar wasn't noisy at all, and when I brought it home to its inferior amp and pedals, it was just as quiet (a big turn-around from my noisy Strat). Rated 8 because of its little variety of tones (jazz, rock, and metal). But also because of its great specialty tones. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Obviously the guitar didn't come in tune, but not much was done besides adjusting saddles, intonation, and filing the nut. The pickups were adjusted properly, all I did was adjust the neck pickup about a centimeter higher. This guitar came in immaculate. I opened up the cardboard box the guitar was shipped in, and to my amazement, I could not find a single flaw. Ibanez has really got it together, some higher-end guitar companies have some major flaws to them, but not Ibanez. The tuning machines, bridge, knobs, and 3-way selector were all tightened and fastened correctly. The action was a little bit higher than I'm used to, but its impossible for Ibanez to predict how "my guitar" should be set-up. After I took my guitar to the local luthier/guitar repairman, and had him set up the guitar's action extra low (about 2/16th of an inch from the fretboard) I could not find a single fret buzzing after a meticulous test. The nut was not cut very deep, so the luthier filed it. He also had to intonate it. The action, fit, and finish were outstanding for the price, and which is why I gave the guitar rating a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far everything seems rock solid. I wouldn't gig without a backup with any guitar though, because you need to be prepaded in case of a string breakage. There is a thick clear coat on this body, so I don't think there will be a chance of simply rubbing off the finish. Rated an 8 because of lack of strap locks, which I recommend to anyone Who has a guitar, and because of its thick clear coat. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match to thrash metal. I've been playing guitar for a few months over a year and I'm in transition between buying a new amp (Vox AD50VT). I have done a huge amount of research totaling six months. I chose this guitar over other guitars in this price range for its features and looks. I chose this over an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone G-400, and Schecter C-1 Artist. Rated a 9 because its look, feel, and sound fit my music perfectly. The only thing I wish this guitar had was active EMG (81/60) pickups. // 9

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: chris_libby_88, on april 19, 2007

Sound: Before I replaced the stock pups with EMGs it was pretty muddy, but with new pickups it's got an awesome sound ran thru my Marshall MG100DFX- which many people consider a garbage amp, but I love it. I play metal and alt rock, and occasionally some classic rock and suits all styles well. it has great cleans also. The bridge pickup has a brigth full sound- great for over the top distortion and blazing leads. The neck pickup is deep, smooth and bluesy. This is a very versitile guitar, though I wouldn't play country with it, it will do pretty much any style but with the razor thin, blazing fast neck it's just asking to play metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine came with a perfect set up. Innotaion was fine, action was perfect. I don't really remeber the stock pickup height, but I'm guessing they were very low. I replaced mine not long after having it with EMGs. There were no factory flaws on my guitar. everything was rock solid. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a rock. I've had it for 2 1/2 years and haven't had any problems with it. The innotation is still great, electronics still in top notch condition. I replaced the original strap buttons with locking but they were solid as a rock. This is a very dependable guitar. I wouldn't gig without a backup, but that's just incase of string breaks and such. The finish is still perfect and with as thick as the lacquer is I doubt it will wear away in the next 500 years. I've worn through some of the black coating on the bridge and volumn knob, but that's nothing out of the ordinary considering how much this guitar has been used. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches my style perfectly. I play heavier stuff and couldnt ask for a better HardTail guitar. I'm planning getting a RG1570 very soon so I'll have a great guitar with a trem. But I'm not selling this one ever. When I got thsi guitar I tried several high end Schecters and a few Jacksons ans this one had the best feel to me. The neck is a dream, as with all IBZ guitars. The action and neck are my favorite features. The neck plays like a dream and the bridge is a low profile HardTail. If it was stolen I would murder the theif and eat his children. // 9

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: anoreorcist12, on june 20, 2007

Features: I bought this thing about six months ago. The onlt complaint I have about it is the absense of a tremelo bar. I absolutely love the EMG humbuckers. It's great, obviously considering the brand, for metal, though it still sounds fine clean. I plug into a Line 6 Spider II 75W and it really sounds great. The neck is quite fast with it's 24 frets, which are no problem to reach. The basswood body isn't that bad in terms of weight. The one I own is black with a white trim around the corners. The bridge is fixed, which I'm not too find of. A trem. bar would be great but this thing never goes out of tune. I can go weeks without tuning the thing and it won't budge. It has a 3-way Switch and two knobs. one for volume, of course, and one for tone. // 7

Sound: I play a lot of Metallica, Children Of Bodom, and Slayer. This guitar pulls it off with ease. The only thing I have trouble with getting out of this guitar is a good screaming pinch harmonic. When I settle down to play somethign light, maybe some Nirvana, or soemthing classic I still have no probelm gettign the sound I want. But I must say, this guitar's true power lies in it's ability to grind out some really crunchy rock riffs. When I get in one of those angry moods where the distortion goes alll the way up, this thing sounds like a mix between the end of the world, and a battle between an army of bigfoots and a neon Orange glowing dragonic aquatic man-beast. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't had any problems, noticed any scratches, or found anything wrong except where the volume knob has been rubbing the body. It's not noticable when the knob is on, but it's still there and it bugs me. As for the action, I didn't even bother changing anything. At where they set it there wasn't any buzzing problems. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use this without a backup. One thing you have to watch is the input jack though. I had to take it apart and fix it once because I always put pressure in the cable. It's just the position I play in. All that was needed to fix the problem was to bend the piece of metal so the cable could pick up the signal again. Unless you have the put pressure constantly on the cable like I do you shouldn't have this problem though. The strap buttons are great. I can twist and turn at any angle and they stay solid and hold quite well. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately a great guitar for me. For my style of playing, this guitar fits like two pieces of a puzzle. My favorite thing about this guitar is its ability to crank out some really fast riffs with ease. For some reason it doesn't seem to bleed much either. If it were stolen I would probably go with something a little less cheaper, considering I was short on cash at the time. // 9

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 10, 2007

Features: Made in Indoneeesia with 24 frets on a Wizard II neck. Fake EMG passive humbuckers (more on them later), tone and volume knobs and a three way Switch. Fixed bridge. I got a floor model so it came with approx. 0 accesories. Thanks Guitar Center. Black finish with white trims. // 8

Sound: Surprisingly, the passive EMG clones sound ok. Better than stock IBZ Infinities anyway. They have less output but better response, even when the Switch is in the full up position. No noise at all through a Vox AD15, and you can get a huge range of tones out of that amp by the way. Overall decent, the build allows for very easy replacement of the pickups too if you are a stickler. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: IBZ did a pretty good job here, even considering I got the floor model. No dings in the finish at all, and it looks awesome. Action was perfect from the factory, as low as it can go without buzz. The only complaint I have is the tone knob was loose, but no biggie, just needed some pliers. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't speak much to the reliability since I've only owned it for a couple weeks. No problems thus far. I haven't had to retune it yet (even after a couple hours of continuous playing) which is a nice change from my old RG120. On the other hand though, I have a pretty light touch with a pick, so people Who like crunching down hard on this thing might have different results. // 8

Overall Impression: Good deal for the price, although I would not buy another if it was stolen, reason being I actually wanted a RG5EX1 when I walked in the store, but they couldn't find the accessories for that one either. In the case of the RG5EX1 though you kind of have to have the accessories since it has a locking trem. Regardless, this is a fine instrument, the neck in particular is very comfortable. // 8

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2007

Features: This is my first serious guitar purchase, well, aside from a Johnson Telecaster, but I don't consider that serious. I bought this guitar because I needed an upgrade from my Johnson, and I was tired of playing on 22 frets. Now that you guys have my little background story, I'll give you the details on this fine piece of musical instrument. This guitar comes with a solid basswood body, 24 extra jumbo frets, and a rosewood neck(I think). It has an indestructible finish, and it's really shiny. Has no pickguard, but it looks nicer that way. This guitar is available in both White and Black finishes, I have the black one. Obviously, the body style is the double cutout RG, probably Ibanez most famous. Also, the bridge, I don't know what kind it is, but I like it, very easy to adjust with an allan wrench, and is adjustable on both sides of the string. The bridge is string-thru style. Comes with fairly decent EMG designed pickups, non-active of course. I replaced my bridge pickup with an EMG-HZ H1, which does the job better. Comes Standard with HH configuration, non locking tuners. I didn't get any accesories with mine, but I think I bought the floor model, it's been awhile. // 9

Sound: This guitar fits my style of music with room to give. I favor playing metal mainly, but dip in hard rock and classic rock occasionally. For playing music such as Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Slayer, and Metallica, this guitar gives an amazing performance. I use this guitar with a Fender 212FMR(100 watt), and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Distortion pedal. This guitar has a wonderful distorted sound, very bassy. However, if you kick off the distortion, you can also get a crisp, clean sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory Set up was decent. When I first bought this guitar I didn't know much about set ups, but learned how to do that kind of thing. The pickups were adjusted to about midrange, bridge low(slightly twangy). There was no real flaws to this guitar that couldn't be adjusted through a couple turns of a screwdriver or allan wrench. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this guitar for about a year now, and it is a very durable instrument. Although I haven't done any Live performances with this, I would say it would withstand many performances. I have had many band practices and hours of jams on this, and I have to say the only thing that has happened has been a couple broken strings. Every thing on this guitar seems like it will endure for years to come, especially the finish. I have dropped this guitar many times, bumped it against things, etc, and it does not dent, or chip. Also, even though there is no locking tuners, this guitar stays in tune, for weeks at a time. The strap buttons are very solid, I had to tighten them once with a screwdriver, but after that they remained stationary. This is a very dependable guitar, but I wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup in case I broke a string. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an instrument suitable for any style of music. Although it is aimed toward playing metal, it can pull off a wide range of sounds. I have been playing for a little over a year, but I play like 2 hours a day so I progress fast. I own about 7 other guitars, including a Sakooa SG from the '60s, some unnamed Les Paul, a Pearl River EG8, and a Johnson Telecaster. This guitar by far puts all the others to shame, and I'm going to sell my other guitars for I don't need them. If this guitar was stolen, I might buy it again. The only reason I may buy something else is because I am partial to the Flying-V shape. In the event that someone stole my baby, I would hunt them down and cut off their fingers one by one. Then I would make them eat their fingers until they choked to death. Compared to the other guitars both of this price range and higher, this guitar was clearly the most suitable for me. I would never sell this guitar, or throw it away. // 10

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: bulletrocks522, on april 07, 2008

Features: The Ibanez RG2EX1 was made in Japan I think. I don't know when. Maybe 2006? It has 24 Jumbo Frets, and because of the Wizard II, upper fret accses is easy. On the body, it has Basswood and the neck is made out of maple. The neck is very fast and the basswood has hella sustain. It is a superstrat, so it is made for metal. It has a fixed bridge so no tremolo, but I don't really need one anyways. It is equipped with passive humbuckers that are designed by EMG, but I swapped them for Active EMG's. It has a 3-way selector switch and 1 volume and tone knobs. The tuners are non-locking. This guitar serves great for neo-classical sweeps and shredding. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Christian Melodic-Death/Neo-Classical metal fused with Metalcore and Death Metal, and this guitar does great for that style. I use a Roland Cube 60 with a DigiTech RP50 processor, and this guitar puts out a In Flames-esque sound. It is completely noiseless too. Distorted, this guitar can sound like the apocalpse is happening write now, but when you turn off the distortion, you can get a jazzy-like tone and also sounds very beautiful with an acoustic simulator. Although the stock pickups sound great, I swapped them for EMG 81 and 85's, but got only a 25% better sound, whitch means that the stock ones are very good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: To my suprise, when I got out of Guitar Center, this guitar was in perfect Standard tuning, which was a great suprise. The finish gets fingerprinted very easily though. The pickups were adjusted very well. I have not found any flaws in the bridge or the inotation yet, and I have had this axe for about 4 and a half months. The strings that are factory installed suck. I suggest getting some Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies. The work well with this rig. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although I am 12 and have never played a show, this guitar seems to hold up well. It seemws like it will last a long time. Like I said, I have never played a show but have had a few band practices and it held up well. The finish has no wear at all. I would definetley use it at a gig with out a backup because I don't have a backup! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, like I said, and being a superstrat, it's a perfect match. I have been playing for about 4 to 5 years. Before this God-send, I had a shitty Squire Strat. If it were lost/stolen, I would freak out, because I have no way to get money to get another. I love the speed and upper fret access, but I hate the neck wood and the fret inlays. I wish it had the Jackson Dinky style inlays. This is an amazing guitar and I highly reccomend it! // 10

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 06, 2008

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Features: Action, fit, finish: 2008 / Indonesia, 24 jumbo frets, wizard neck, solid basswood body with glossy black finish and white binding on the body, neck, and headstock. Fixed Strat-style HardTail bridge. I upgraded to Gotoh locking tuners / bridge in Gold, and a Black Abalone custom pickguard. Electronics: passive pickups (upgraded to DiMarzio Dactivators), volume + tone + 5-way Switch (upgraded to 3-way). Hum-Hum configuration. Accessories: Cable. // 8

Sound: I play mainly hard rock and metal, and this guitar is definitely suited for that. The stock pickups sounded great (Ibanez recently switched from "designed by EMG" to their tried and true V7 / V8 combo), but I replaced them fairly quickly with DiMarzio DActivators. I bought this guitar as a cheapie to hack on and mess with, after all. I'm currently running it through the following: Boss TU-2, Morley Tremonti Wah, Morley Volume Plus, Voodoo labs Micro Vibe, Keeley DS-1, Keeley TS-9, Boss AC-3, Boss GE-7 (set flat for volume reduction to simulate "clean" channel on single-channel amp). That runs into a VHT Deliverance 60, Palmer PDI-03, Rocktron Xpression, Carvin DCM150, and VHT stereo 4X12 in that order. The guitar is dead quiet. I did a proper grounding job anyway and it's still dead quiet. The old pickups were rich and full, but I just wanted something even richer and fuller with a great metal "bite". The basswood + HardTail isn't as bright as you would think, but it sustains for days. Style-wise, I wouldn't recommend it for blues, jazz, or country (although it *can* do those in the proper hands). It's definitely a hard rock / metal guitar, and it oozes that vibe. NOTE: I actually get a fantastic clean / jazzy sound with my DActivators, using both pickup in parallel (middle position). Sounds almost like a fat Telecaster. Not the best Ibanez I own (that honor goes to my SAS32EX with DActivator X's) but it gives it a run for the money. I bought it mainly as a cheap backup / alternate for my SA. This guitar is living up to being it's own thing though. I love it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It came with a fairly low action, but I set it even lower. Everything else was well adjusted, and the finish was mirror flawless. There were no misaligned pegs or frets, and the binding makes the neck oh so smooth. The stock tuners don't hold tuning as well as I'd like, so I dropped in some gold Gotoh lockers. It's solid as a rock now. I'm also looking at getting it Buzz Feitened, because like all guitars it has that finicky B/G string thing. Other than that though, it is perfection itself. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would (and will) definitely take this guitar on the road. It's just too awesome not to. The stock hardware was decent, but the Gotoh stuff is killer. I always immediately replace my strap buttons with the DiMarzio Cliplock thingies, so I don't know. They seemed OK though. I know I could depend on it, and short of breaking a string it would survive a nuke. The finish is hard as a rock. I've dropped it once or twice while working on it and there's not even a scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock, and this guitar is perfect. I had tremolo equipped Ibanez guitars before, but I got burned out on the double-locking thing. That's why I switched to Standard trems (like on the SA series) and hardtails. I've been playing nearly 11-12 years now. There are no regrets about buying this guitar. The one thing I would change is having it come stock with DActivators and locking Gotoh hardware, but then it wouldn't be 300 bucks! // 9

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2008

Purchased from: Friend

Features: 24 Jumbo Frets. Has to Ibanez, EMG Style, Humbucker pickups. Rosewood Fingerboard. Tuners are average at best. I find myself returning the guitar every day or two (I play it every day). 3-Way Switcher. One tone knob, and one volume knob. Overrall I'd say the accesories are pretty Standard for any metal players guitar. Strings are set with a lot of space in between them so it's very easy for picking. Also has a wide, but smooth comfortable neck, great for making slides. // 7

Sound: If you play metal and want a guitar for under $600 this is essential! Sounds great for any style of metal. I use it with my Line 6 Spider III, and turn on the Metal effect, and it sounds awesome. My only complaint is when I turn the game up the sound gets too buzzy, so I usually keep the gain around 6. Guitar has a really heavy bassy tone. And even unplugged from the amp it has a very acoustic bassy sound to it. I had held onto my friends Schechter C1 Hellraiser for a month or two and I still like the sound of the Ibanez better (Shcecter goes for about $850 at guitar center, white the Ibanez is only $300). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: All I had to do when I got this gutar was put on new Elixer strings, and adjusted the pickups just a tad myself, and from there on out it felt and sounded great.Quality was better than I had expected from a cheaper guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Most of the hardware on it seems pretty sturdy. The bridge is very nice. Although the tuners definately aren't the greatest I've seen. if you have the money I would suggest putting Grover tunes on it. The pickups are just okay. They definately aren't bad. But if you have the money, throw some real EMG's on it. My friend told me when he bought it, it didn't come with strap locks and he had to put them on himself. He gave me one if his old gig bags because it doesn't come with one. // 8

Overall Impression: Guitar has a great overral feel to it. The first time I picked it up it felt so comfortable and this guitar SHREDS!! So easy to go from strumming to picking. Great for any metal player, not bad for jazz either. Although it has limited sound capibility, metal and jazz are really the only styles you can play on it. Not too great for rock. If your looking for play rock, this isn't for you. Guitar is a bit heavy, but not to bad, not like a Les Paul or anything. But this is the perfect guitar for an avid metal player. I have an mexican made Fender Strat and I prefer to play my Ibanez over that any day. If your looking for a metal guitar under $600 Go for the RG2EX1, you won't be dissapointed. // 8

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: opdezort1, on august 25, 2009

Features: My particular model is an '08 and manufactured in Indonesia. 24 extra jumbo frets make playing intricate songs easy and the Ultra-wide, Ultra-shallow neck takes a while to get used to but ultimately gives you an extremely comfortable feel. The two "EMG" passive humbuckers don't really sound the best but even so, for the price I paid the tone truly is one of the best sounding and affordable in its price range. Originally I had to get a floor model and it had an irreversibly cross threaded washer on the input and this setup had no accessories. However Guitar Center was pretty cool about trading it in for a Brand New model once one was shipped in and even threw in a free strap and gig bag. // 9

Sound: The guitar suited my musical interests yet has shown surprising versatility as I play anything from metal to Acoustic. However I wouldn't recommend playing things like country as it is more or less the polar opposite of country. I mostly use it with my Line 6 Spider III 120 Watt but occasionally use my first amp, the Fender Frontman 15G 15 Watt. The tone on either is great for an intermediate player with a very bassy neck pickup and a bridge pickup that is somewhere in the middle ground. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The first (floor model) one of these I got was a little worn as it had been being played for probably a year before I bought it. The new one I had to order in however had a perfect action for me, which is a bit higher than most guitars. The pickups needed a bit of calibration but didn't cost me anything and its to be expected in one fresh from the factory. Like all Ibanez's the craftmanship is impeccable and even after roughly 13 months nothing has failed in any way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it could be dropped 10 feet and not break and the finish is thick enough that it would definitely take a beating and come out shining just as bright as the Ultra-reflective black was before that. The strap buttons seem like they used drywall screws to secure them and I can't see a failure happening ever. This is a very dependable guitar and while it isn't smart not to bring a backup, I could risk it and still feel somewhat secure about it. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal and Acoustic so this guitar really works for both. The Strat-style body is ergonomic yet sexy and the finish is simple and beautiful. The only real thing I wish I had given thought to is that the black finish shows every little fingerprint or smudge. I have only been playing 3 years and the only other gear I have owned prior to this is a crappy Squier Starter Kit so there is fairly little to compare it to. If it were stolen/ lost I would probably buy a better model as I have had it a while and am looking into getting a more advanced model. I compared it to a slew of other models but this provided the best fusion of functionality and price. // 9

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: casey6daniels, on october 26, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center (Used Section)

Features: 24 frets, Black (later repainted blonde and stickerbombed kinda like original jerry cantrel rampage), Basswoodbody and maple neck, rosewood fretboard, fixed bridge (considering installing bigsby), passive pickups, 3 way selector, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, I Bought with slight rust damage otherwise perfect condition. Great features for a low/mid level guitar. I feel it has a "turn it up to ten and run with it" vibe. It's a got a great price to value ratio at it's retail price, insane at the price I found it at. // 8

Sound: It's really a hard rock/metal guitar but it's extremely versatile. I play punk, metal, rock and pop and she suits all four perfectly. I use a 60 watt Fender solid state combo amp with it, Super easy to dial in metal and classic rock sounds. You can get some interesting sounds from picking behind the nut but they're very shrill, you can get a really ghostly reverb from hammering on it's horns. Stock pickups are a little too muddy for me, changing them out for either a Seymour JB set or some Gibson Dirty Fingers. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Bought it used, near perfect with some (cosmetic) rust damage (when you live in seattle, it happens to damn near everything eventually). The set up was amazing but was probably handled by a techy at the store or by the previous owner. This model has the amazing action and play ability I have come to expect from Ibanez. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is my F***ing workhorse, I've put her through so much sh** and she's still the guitar I bought three years ago, if not better. I play it live, doesn't compete with a high end rig of course, but most venues make the clearest rigs sound like sh** anyway, might as well save your money unless you're charging thirty bucks a ticket. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar and use her for everything, after five years of playing I couldn't imagine a better guitar to start off with. If lost her I couldn't be more upset I don't think I could replace her, I feel too much of a connection to it. I love her sound and how she plays and looks... Wouldn't mind a better tone and volume knob set up and would love if I could get some more Tom Morello-ish sounds on it without having to bang on her with an allen wrench or buy an army of pedals. // 9

RG2EX1 Reviewed by: sonny bb, on august 15, 2012

Features: This is a 2008 model Ibanez made in Indonesia. It's got 24 Jumbo frets, basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. A HardTail bridge with the strings going through the back of the body. Strat style body of course with a pair of passive Ibanez humbuckers; a V7 in the bridge and a V8 in the neck position. 5 way switch with positions 2 and 4 being parallel and series, respectively. 1 volume, 1 tone Non locking in house tuners that keep it perfectly in tune. // 10

Sound: I play just about everything, from metal to R&B and it does it pretty much flawlessly. It's not noisy even through my 7-8 unit pedalboard. I play a Crate GTD65 and there is no hum to be heard what'soever from this guitar. You can get a super grindy metal tone from the bridge pickup and a ridiculously smooth funk tone with the switch in the 2nd and 4th positions. The neck pickup gives a nice clean sound and a nice warm distorted sound for faster solos. The only let down in terms of sound is with the pickup switch in the middle position. It's very bland and not very inspiring in comparison to the other positions. The best thing overall is that it is sort of a blank slate guitar. You can get just about any sound you want just by eqing your amp a bit different. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine was the floor model, though it was positioned fairly high up in the store. When I bought it, the changed the strings and set it up very well. The action is low, but not so low as to cause any sort of fret buzz even with the D'Addario 12-52's that I use. The guitar is setup beautifully; no flaws on the neck, not flaws on the hardware, even the finish itself is indestructible! My only problem has been that the pickup rings screws were stripped and it makes keeping the pickups in an ideal place very difficult, though I can't attest for this being a consistent factory mistake. The cover for the truss rod's screws are also stripped so I cannot remove it should anything need to be adjusted. A small click is audible when switching from the humbucking mode to the parallel and series settings on the pickup switch. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been through hell and back quite literally and its in perfect working order. Never had to adjust anything from the day I got it 4 years ago. I replaced the strap buttons with Dunlop Dual Design Straploks for added security but the stock buttons never waivered a bit. I bring a backup guitar to every gig anyway, but I have never needed to use it. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a great match for all the styles I play because of the ability to get single coil tones! I play alot of clean stuff and it does this as well as it does all out distorted chaos. If it were lost or stolen, I would cry my eyes out and then file a police report to get MINE BACK! If that wasn't an option, I would by 5 more of them! When I got it, I compared it to a Schecter C-7, an Epiphone G-400 and an LTD F-50. The neck is what sealed the deal, It fits my hand like a glove and just begs to be swept and shredded to the night ends! If anything, I would add a second volume control. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014