RG2EX2 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/08/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG2EX2
The neck is very smooth and very fast. It has 24 very tall frets. On the body, it only has a tone, volume and 3-way switch.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.9
 Features: 8.6
 7.9
 8.5
 7.3
reviews (7) 36 comments vote for this gear:
RG2EX2 Reviewed by: absinthe5765, on october 26, 2006

Features: Its features are very exceptional. The only thing I can complain about is the pickups. They are "designed" by EMG, but still suck. They don't have much pop, and they arnt split or live. Other than that, I'm happy with everything. The neck is very weird but nice when you get used to it. It has almost like a flat spot on the back where your thumb can press against. Personally, I love it, others might diagree. The neck is also very smooth and very fast. It has 24 very tall frets, and the tuners have yet to fail me. On the body, it only has a tone, volume and 3-way switch. I'm a big fan of the second and fourth position on a 5-way, so I was rather dissapointed, but when I change the tuners, I will change those out too. It dosnt have a tremolo on it, which I actually prefer, and that's a good reason why I bought it. That and the EMGs. // 8

Sound: Ahh the sound. Time to complain about the pickups. As I said above, I do not like these. Avoid them at all costs. They sound like any other pickup with the volume on half. I was very very dissapointed with not only the way they play, but little lines formed after a few days on the pickups from fingerpicking. My only other complaint is the string height when I recieved this guitar. The strings were very high, actually as high as you can twist them. It's alright though, an allen wrench fixed that up. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: I absolutely love the way this one looks. It's much more clean and stunning than any pictures could discribe it. The white looks amazing with the black, and everything just works very well. The only thing holding it to a 9 is how light the rosewood is. No biggy though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything so far has lived through the past 5 months that I've had this guitar. It dosnt break strings easily, the strap buttons still work, no flaws in the finish. If it had better pickups I would depend on it in a gig without a backup. The only thing keeping this one to a 9 is the marks on the (wanna-be) EMGs. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall: I wish I would have been able to see how bad the pickups were before I bought this. It's a beautiful guitar, but it will cost me another 150-200 bucks for decent pickups and 5-way for this thing to get it to play correctly. I still love it's looks and the way it plays now that the strings are lower though. I've been a big fan of Ibanez, and this is the first time they let me down. // 8

RG2EX2 Reviewed by: Atomic_gerbil, on december 29, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians friend

Features: There's really not much to say about features. For the price, it's excellent that it comes with a Wizard 2 neck and at least halfway decent passives from EMG, and 24 frets. The rest, is well, pretty bare-bones. The tone knob actually works unlike others in the price range, and the tuners never go out of tune (at least for me). Other than that, an excellent, straightforward guitar. // 9

Sound: The EMG's are fine. The guy who reviewed it before me had a pretty good point that these EMG's aren't the best in the world, but think about it this way, they are much better than some pickups you'll find on some other guitars in this price range. I play metal, rock, etc. I like them, and don't see the need to change them. The cleans are excellent. I love these stock pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have only a few complains from the factory set up. I don't expect my guitar to come completely set up the way I like it, in tune and all that. It doesn't work like that. I had to adjust string height, and I had to tune it. Big deal. But, the binding around the body isn't perfectly painted on and there was a small dab of what looks like hot glue next to one of my frets (doesn't affect my playing at all) but that's about it. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, no need to change them. Overall, good factory setup. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would use this guitar at a gig. I'd bet it could last. But, I have had this for less than a week, so there's not much to say here either. A minor annoyance is that the input jack always seems to be coming loose, but again, that's minor. The rest of this guitar is solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been pretty impressed with this guitar, mainly because of how much it cost. It was a good deal, and it catches looks. I love everything about it, and I'm not one to complain about things. This is a very nice guitar. I'd recommend it to anyone Who like playing rock or metal, but it's cleans are very nice too. If it was stolen, I would probably buy it again. // 10

RG2EX2 Reviewed by: MadLordWinder, on may 14, 2007

Features: Well, I'm not an expert on guitars, but I know what I like. It's got 24 jumbo frets on Ibanez's Wizard II (I believe) neck. Mine is white, with a black border line around the outside. The finish stays smudge free. To ad a little personality, I stuck one of the Apple stickers that comes with iPods on below the bridge, and it's pretty funny when my friend notice it. Anyway, it plays really nicely, and I don't know about everyone else, but as someone Who learned classical guitar first, the Ibanez necks play much more naturally to me. Not much in the way of extra features, but I don't really need more on a guitar like this, just volume and tone. // 8

Sound: The guitar is perfect for just about everything I play, Muse, Metallica, Incubus, It works great for me. The amp I use is a crappy and breaking Fender Frontman (I'm getting a Peavey Studio Pro 112 soon, a good amp from a company I dislike in general), but anyway, despite the crappy amp, I still can pull some pretty good sounds out with this guitar. As I don't have tons of guitars to compare it to (yet, at any rate) I can't say how it sounds in comparison, but I can get just about any sound I look for out of it, no complaints there, though I'm sure it could be better, it's very good for the price. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and pickups were fine, I got it used (I think it's hard to tell with GC). Only problem I've had is that this winter (It was going outside fairly often to be brought around, having to wait for city buses) a couple of the frets popped out a bit, making it so that certain notes buzz when sounded, though I'll fix it soon. Everything else is perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As far as I can tell, everything is perfectly good except for the frets, but I haven't played Live with it so I can't be positive. I don't think anything would happen to it suddenly, but having a backup can't hurt. By the time I start performing regularly, I hope to have a nicer guitar anyway. // 7

Overall Impression: It's a great guitar for the price. I've been playing electric for a few years, and classical for nine, so I've got pretty good technical skills, and this guitar functions well for all of my purposes. When I bought it, I pretty much played every guitar of the same price range in the store, and it came out on top, which can't be a bad thing. // 9

RG2EX2 Reviewed by: i_spaid1988, on march 05, 2008

Features: According to the serial, my guitar was made in June of '06 in Indonesia. This is a typical RG setup, 25.5" Scale, 24 fret, Wizard II neck, with jumbo frets. I believe the body is basswood and the neck maple. It's very light, so it can hang off your shoulder forever! The finish looks great. It's white with a painted on, black, binding around the whole guitar. This particular model is a "fixed bridge", or HardTail. This one has 2 EMG designed, passive humbuckers. Again typical RG, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch. I'm not sure what brand the tuners are, but they are non-locking. GC wouldn't give me a gigbag, so I had to buy one for $20. // 10

Sound: This guitar works for metal, hard rock, blues, just about everything that calls for a "big guitar sound". I play a lot of hard rock and some metal through a Behringer V-amp with a 4X12 cab and it fits perfect for me. Even with such a low quality amp there is no noise. The humbuckers do there job well. Just like with any guitar, there are infinite possibilities for tone, just move your picking hand around. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: And this is where the perfect review goes bad. When I got it. The neck had a forward bow like you wouldn't believe, the action was way too high. The bridge pickup was almost touching the strings. The neck pickup moved down while playing. I stuffed some foam in the cavity during the last restring and it works fine now. All of the tuners were loose. I asked if they'd tune it up before I took it home, and they wanted to charge me $40. No, thank you. Fortunately for me, I had all the tools and knowledge to set it up at home. I'm almost positive that it didn't leave the factory like that. It was probably because it was on the wall for a year and no one ever maintained it. Also it was tuned to something ridiculous like drop B with .009-.042 strings when I picked it up. // 5

Reliability & Durability: After maintaining I think this guitar is worth taking out on the stage. Everything on it seems to be built pretty strong. I have only had it for 2 months, so I'm not 100% on the durability. The finish, from what I've seen, is great. I've bumped it off of my desk a few times and it didn't leave a mark. I installed straplocks the day I got it, so I honestly don't know what the stock buttons can withstand. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this as a cheap backup for my Stagemaster that I'm rebuilding. And, to my surprise it plays and sounds better. I would never "lose" a guitar so, we'll go with stolen. Yes, I'd buy another one. I love everything about this guitar, the only thing I hate is not being able to put it down! I was at a tossup between this and a Dean VMNTX. I got this one mostly because the VMNTX's volume knob is in an awkward place for my picking hand position and I couldn't play it without turning down the volume. And, I've heard a lot of great things about Ibanez, but never played one before getting this. // 10

RG2EX2 Reviewed by: [[BurnTheDusk]], on may 06, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: I'm not adsactly sure around when Ibanez made this model. But I'm pretty sure it was quite recent. It is solidtop and VERY comfortable. It has 24 jumbo frets. it's made of Basswood and has a 3 piece meple Wizard2 neck. TheNeck is VERY smooth and extreemly easy to move around, with a flat underside and White Dot inlays.I got mine in a white finish with black rivets and a Satin finished neck(It also comes in Black with White rivets). it's Stock pickups are 2 EMG designed Passive Humbuckers with one volume control, one tone control, and a 3-way pickup selector. it's Bridge is a set String through Bridge without tremelo. The tuners it came with were Gotoh non-locking tuners. All the hardware is black, Which very much makes the white finish shiny through with the black pickups and such. It came with the basic L wrench tools and such and a cable. All together the features are awe-inspiring for such a low price. // 9

Sound: The sound that comes out of this baby is great. I play Deathmetal, MelodicDeath, Melodic instrumental, Heavymetal, Classical, And a little blues on ocasion. This guitar is very nice for all of those exept blues where a Fender Telecaster is quite recomended. it's EMG designed pickups aren't noisey and give a very nice sound. The bridge is Great with distortion and sounds decent on cleans by itself. The neck pickup is very nice and has a distinct Rythymn sound to it; Still a little too bassey for my taste. When together the 2 pickups make a absouletely beautifull clean sound that goes great with Chorus, Delay, Reverb, or any other effect you can imagine. When I turn the tone knob to 0 and set it to the neck pickup, It sounds adsactly like a bass guitar. This guitar sounds are very versitile. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Action on this guitar is absoulutely perfect for my tastes. Very fast and allows nimble fingers around the fretboard. The pickups are placed grea for metal, as they pick up pinch harmonics and legato very well. I could not find any flaws in detail on this model and I'm very satisfied with it. The tuning pegs were tight and the knobs and such are solid and stay that way. The pickup selector makes a very tiny click when switched but I'd say that's to be expected. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played Live with this guitar and I can say it stays in tune almost 90% of the time and times the strap has fallen off is zero. The hardware is very solid and I have no worrys on this guitar to stop working Live. I would even take the risk of not bringing a secondary HH guitar with me if I had to. The finish hasn't faded or chipped and seems like it's going to last quite some time. All in all this guitar will last pretty long from what I've seen so far. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is gret for all styles of metal and even classical. This guitar fits my stle very well as I play with lots of distortion and lots of melodic cleans as well. If it was stolen, lost, or even stopped working I would almost deffinately get this adsact guitar again. I might get a PRS but for the price this is deffinately a great contender. I love the way the neck is, So thin and flat and smooth that I can shred for a day without feeling sore. There isnt anything I really dislike about this guitar exept I might Switch out the pickups fairly soon. It could have been made of mohagany ut for this price it obviously wouldn't be. If I had to choose anything I sould say the neck and action are it's outstanding features. Deffinatley one of Ibanezes Greatest guitars that I have played. // 9

RG2EX2 Reviewed by: Dimzl, on september 12, 2008

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: My RG2EX2 was an 06' and made is Indonesia. The 3-peice maple neck is extremely thin, fast and wide; rosewood fretboard, 24 XJ frets, and dot inlays. The basswood body is very light-weight and seems even more resononant than mahogany; and in sound character is inbetween alder and mahogany so it isn't so dark that it drowns out your notes, but it has more sustain and cut than alder. The electronics are "okay" for a second guitar (this was my second guitar). EMG "designed", Ibanez "perfected" pickups are passive and deliver a huge array of tone. Now, personally, I really dislike EMG because I am for a more chunky-thick punch, but, I have to say, they came pretty close to what I wanted. The bridge pickup is nice and full with a bit of punch, and the neck pickup is good with warming the treble, but the lower ends get really muddy, even with super bright strings. The truss rod is pretty long, which means you might never run out of tread, adjustments are infinite. 25.5" scale is perfect for lower guage strings and detuning, while maintaining tension. It is also string-thru fixed strat-style bridge. All around good intermediate guitar. // 8

Sound: Well, I play a lot of different styles of harder metal and some blues and jazz. Mostly just progressive metal like Between The Buried And Me, Opeth, etc. I usually use a Peavey Valveking half, but I also have a Peavey Bandit 112 (both excelent amps, btw). Like I said the wood is particularly resonant and the pickups will need to go sooner or later, so, I replaced them both with the Ibanez V7 and V8's. Both really high output, the notes come out clear and they're super punchy. The clean with both stock pickups on is full and mostly clear, but with pick attack it can have a real bluesy overdrive. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was super low right from the start. You might have to lower it a tiny bit if you are going to get a lower guage of strings. The intonation was set perfect. The pickups were just far enough away from the strings to not get feedback without loosing output. Not to hard to do, though. The luthier work was perfect, plus the frets are stainless, so, that's good stuff. I have had mine for about 6 months now, and the bridge saddle posts are oxidizing; my house is an average 43% humidity. so I replaced those with graphite saddles. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar in many gigs with this guitar alone. The strap and neck screws are practically drywall screws. Those will not come out guaranteed! Now this is my main guitar on stage (but I do like to use my RG1570 but it's the same thing just with a better neck, tuners, and well pretty much everything.) The finish is really thick and almost hard to chip...so that'l last, too. Super dependable like all the other Ibanez's out there! // 9

Overall Impression: This is just an amazing guitar, we've been through a lot already and it's still runnning! I probably wound't buy it again anymore because of all the work I put into it. I have been playing for almost 4 years now. It was hard to get money for this because I had no job but now money is not an issue. I bought an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige mirage blue (sweet finish). I might review this in a year or so... So look for it! // 9

RG2EX2 Reviewed by: D!m, on july 08, 2009

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This guitar is made in Indonesia like many other guitars. Mine was a 2007 model and is still holding up nicely. 25.5" scale so you can use lower guage strings, very thin 5 piece wizard II maple neck, basswood RG (super-Strat) style body, oil based finish with opposite colored trim, passive EMG designed dual humbuckers, 1-tone, 1-volme, and Ibanez tuners. Nice set of stuff for a beginners guitar. // 8

Sound: The pickups are almost exactly what the EMG hz passives are, just lower output. I don't like EMG (not enough articulation) anything; not much variety of tone. So I put a pair of DiMarzio D Activators in it right away. (I use a Peavey Vaveking 112 as a head for my 1983 Peavey Sheffield 4X12 cab) Cleans are bright and the low end holds up, distortion is brutal with scoopedd mids. D Activators have so much articulation and clarity that when you play a chord in distortion (Class A or A/B) you can hear each note! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Came perfect from factory. Standard Ibanez quality. Low Action, near perfectly intonated. Packaged Carefully, etc.Eveythign was properly routed, frets were filed nicely. There were no flaws as I recieved it either. Pickups were a little high for my taste but that is an easy adjustment. Flat top... have'nt bookmatched though so I don't know for sure. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing shows about once a month since early 2008 and it's still in mint. Though I am almost a master luthier, it didn't take much maintenance! I really recomend this for a starting guitar. I replaced the strap scres with drywall screws as with all of my guitars. It is my main guitar at gigs along with my Xiphos. Finish hasn't chipped yet either. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything close to Between The Buried And Me. Pretty good match i'd say. Stays in tune for sredding. Very, very fast neck. Also I use 9-42 elixer nanowebs. I would deffinately buy this again if it were lost. It's inexpensive and easy to "frankenstein." I didn't actually compare this because it was my first Ibanez. I now only buy Ibanez and PRS. I have a Xiphos (red Chemeleon), S5470 Prestige (natural), SE 24, and this. I wish it had coil splitting, that is what I will probably do next, though. I also wish they made onen with D activators or V7-V8 set. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ DT520 Destroyer 8.3 Electric Guitars 09/29/2014