RG3120 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/30/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG3120
Neck and headstock binding. Mahogany Body. Rosewood Fingerboard. 24 Frets. Violet Chrome Machine Heads. 3 piece Maple Neck.
 8.6
 8.3
 8.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
RG3120 Reviewed by: chAos55, on april 30, 2004

Purchased from: ebay!

Features: This Model Is Now Discontinued. This is the older model, not the new 2002 or whatever with the crappy new "edge pro" mystery metal tremolo. 24 jumbo frets on rosewood board, two dimarzio PAF pro humbuckers, japanese, solid, bolt on neck, volume/tone/5way pickup selector, Floyd rose licensed lopro edge, double locking. // 8

Sound: Play mostly thrash, speed, death metal and some blues (what what??)...Using a rocktron 20watt amp with it. Extremely quiet on clean (but see note below), with the tone knob giving a full range from deep rich bass tone with good mids to whining sharp piercing one. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set p as it came was alright, but he hing is, on of the strings snapped, and I had to fix it all up anyway. I had to reset the tremolo springs , but it wasnt tight enough, so I had to put in the spare as well, making a total of four (FOUR???) spring to hold it down. there were also a few intonation problems, nothing hard to fix though. Main problem is fret buzz, no matter how I set the string height, it's always there, only on 3rd fret of the first string! Pisses me off, but action can be set extreeeemely low, with only that buzz. Of course, pickups hav to be moved down a bit if you change the action. Beautiful finish, lovely wood - no flaws. // 6

Reliability & Durability: MAIN PROBLEM - bit on the heavy side, leading to discomort to some. Ive gotten used to I, but havent used it live. Seems durable enough. No problems yet, But I wonder how that wonderfully thin neck supports all that weight down there.The strap buttons were loose. Had to screw em in. // 8

Overall Impression: A solid guitar, comes with a flamed twilight blue maple top. My only electric, but I took a lot of time considering other options before I settle on this. I would get a Gibson if I lost this one. My only wish is for it be lighter, and for that damn buzz to go away. // 8

RG3120 Reviewed by: insideac, on september 30, 2005

Features: It has everything that the other reviews say it does. Even the sucky tuning heads. One weird thing that I found out, is that if I tune to E, and keep it like that for a long time, when you try to tune it to something different, say, drop D, it will automatically go back up to E after your done tuning it down. I don't know why, but it's cool. // 8

Sound: I usually play neo-classical metal, like Symphony X, Rhapsody, and Yngwie Malmsteen, but I also play other stuff, like speed metal and classic. This guitar has a nice, clean sound when it needs to, but as soon as you crank up the distortion, it sounds nice and heavy, but you can still hear the notes, unlike the Bronze Warlock, where the notes will all blur into each other into a big mess if you add a little too much distortion. The floating bridge and whammy bar are very sensitive, this might be bad for others but good for me, I just have to touch it and it divebombs. Going all the way down really means going all the way down. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the red finish, because it looked the nicest. There were no chips on this, and when I got it, they cleaned it for me, and polished it, and it still shines like the day I first got it. Well almost. The action was okay when I got it, but I brought it all the way down, so I just have to rest my fingers on the string to sound out the notes. The pickups are good, except when I tried to lower them, I went a little too low, and the stupid spings came out, and the pickups were messed up until I opened up the guitar and fixed it. This was annoying, since I always adjust my pickup height. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only done one show with this guitar, but it was very reliable. If you didn't have a backup guitar, and could only pick one guitar for a good price, I think this would be a good choice. The hardware seems very durable, I've had this guitar for about 2 months now. The strap buttons, I never touched because I had immediately bought a DiMarzio straplock set, the one with the clips, and I love it. They were pretty solid though, had long screws and wouldn't budge at first. Sometimes though, if you palm mute and press down too hard, you might accidentally press on the tremolo system, and sometimes it mkaes you fall out of tune. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, for my style of playing, this is a really good buy, and for a good price. If it were stolen or something, Id definately buy another one, except maybe in black, just for a change. The only thing I really hate is the tuning knobs, becaus they are a bitch to tune properly, but once you do, they stay there for a while. I wish it had better tuning knobs, and maybe better pickups, without the stupid springs holding them up. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ SAS32EX 8.6 Electric Guitars 10/20/2014