RG320DX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/12/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG320DX
When it comes to style of music, it's ready for anything. Metal, rock, blues, you name it. But I would mostly use it for some alternative rock.
 8.3
 8.2
 8.4
review (1) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
RG320DX Reviewed by: everjump, on august 12, 2010

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: - Made in Indonesia, 2009 - 24 jumbo frets with Shark tooth inlays, rosewood fingerboard - Basswood with flamed finish top, it comes in two colors, grey and yellow. - Neck Pick-Up: INF3 - Bridge Pick-Up:INF4 - Bridge is a Floyd Rose style tremolo by Ibanez, Edge III - 5-way switch, tone and volume knob each. - Accessories included: strap, cable and a gig bag. // 8

Sound: When I was buying this guitar I had no clear goals. I just loved the look of the guitar, especially the flamed grey finish top. Also I always wanted a guitar with a tremolo. So, when it comes to the sound I did not know what I would like to expect, but I did some research before buying it. I have Peavey Vypyr 15, which I got later after buying my rg320dxfm, and boy it sounds great! I would like to change the pick-ups to get more distortion out of the guitar, but it does not mean that the pick-ups are horrible. Pick-ups good enough to deliver some decent distortion sound, as well as some rich clean sound without any noises. 5-way Switch gives enough alternatives to experiment or simple find something that fits you best. So when it comes to style of music, it's ready for anything. Metal, rock, blues, you name it. But I would mostly use it for some alternative rock. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up of the guitar was great, I had no complaints about it. It was already set up with Standard tuning, so I did not have to deal with tremolo. So Ibanez have delivered a great product, as good as it was promised on paper. The Switch can be a little bit noisy when you Switch the pickups, but it does ruin anything at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Without any doubt this is a guitar is good enough to try out live. Solid quality and great look gives more confidence to use it on stage. Strap buttons are solid, but I would maybe change them later if I were using it live often. If I was using it on a gig, I would prefer to have some backup. I always like to have a plan-b, you never know what can come up:) // 8

Overall Impression: I will not sit here and pretend that I'm some sort of a professional musician. Mostly I play some simple rock and blues tunes, and constantly learning new stuff. I've been playing now about 2 and a half years, mostly I played on my Acoustic guitar, Tanglewood TW170AS, but it changed since I bought my RG. I am really glad that I bought this guitar, I learned a lot of stuff and progressed faster as a guitar player than before. As I mentioned before, I love the finish of the guitar. It still catches my eye after 10 month of use. Thin neck makes it much easier to play. However I'm not a fan of the inlays on the frets, but it's not a big deal. Also I had some problems with changing strings at the beginning, it is a hard process if you have no experience with a Floyd Rose-type bridge. In the end I would point out, that this is a great instrument with nice features for a reasonable price. I would not recommend it as a beginner guitar, but you should check it out. I tried to rate the guitar as fair as possible by comparing it with guitars in the same price-range and their features. I hope this review was helpful and ok, since it's my first review on UG :D Also I would like to apologize if any bad English to be noticed, since it's not my native language. Peace:) // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014