RG320FA Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 03/03/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG320FA
Brilliant guitar, anyone looking for a new guitar, this is the one for you. Great sound, 24 frets, looks fantastic, what more could you ask for.
 8.6
 8.2
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
RG320FA Reviewed by: BlackCross, on march 03, 2008

Features: This is a review of the 2001 model Ibanez RG320FA (Japan). I'm not sure of the scale (25.5" I think) but it has 24 jumbo freets on a rosewood fingerboard and a hard maple neck. The body is solid, and I believe it's an Ash. The finish is a transparent black cherry as ESP would call it, and is painted glossy. The bridge is a Ibanez LO-TRS II which although it is a licensed Floyd Rose, it is still high quality and can match the standards of an ofr (except when you flutter the bridge the trem loosenses itself). It has passive pickups. It doesn't say what comapany they're are made by but I assume it might be dimarzio (Standard on some RG models). They work well although I'd prefer emgs. It has a 5-way selector switch and one overall volume and one overall tone. To be honest I wouldn't rate the controls highly, the tone is fine, the volume doesn't always work, and really? do you need 5 different selections for two different pickups? It's just more hassle and I'd go with a 3 way blade due to the fact that you have to tap the Switch so delicately otherwise it skips the selection you want. Just tandard banez tuners, work great! No accessories came with this guitar. It has a bolt on neck but the plate at the back is contoured so there's easier upper fret access. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal. any sort of metal subgenre basically: heavy metal, death metal, melodic-death metal, power metal, metalcore, grunge, etc. The guitar suits this nicely because it has high output pickups. Which is great. I'd prefer it though if they were active emgs. I use Kustom amps and the distortion I use is awesome! It's a metal muff by Electro-Harmonix. THe guitar can be lovely and warm yet crisp, as it is a high end guitrr. I've experimented and you can also get these sound on a clean setting. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have had to adjust the height of the neck pickup. I've changed the strings to a set by rotosound. And as said above (see first paragraph) the volue sometimes doesn't react to wen you turn it and you have to wait for a few seconds. When I bought the guitar, there was obviously some rust inside the input jack because it was buzzimg like hell! It killed my ears! lol but now it's worn in and that has gone away (this was probably because I bought it second hand). // 7

Reliability & Durability: IT will definately stand through live playing. Most of the problems have worn off now and now the only one left is the fact that the strap buton on the top cutaway is sort of loose and you can pull it in and out, and wriggle it around but it's still firmly attached and I'm sure it won't come off if I adjust it. The finish is great, a really effective colour and is painted thick, I'm sure it would take a lot to wear off. It's about as thick 4mm thick coating. // 8

Overall Impression: I play heavy styles of metal with low tunings, this is a good match. I don't own a lot of gear as I have only just been playing for a year now, but practising is fun with the Ibanez. Before I boughtit I thought the trem as an ofr but it is infact made by Ibanez. I'd prefer an ofr. I would honestly by something else if it were stolen not because of quaality, but because my style has now changed. I love it all however. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014