RG320QS Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/05/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG320QS
It features 24 jumbo frets, that can sometimes be a reach for the notes closer to the top of the neck. The neck, a thinnish Wizard II, is very smooth and easy to slide your hand up and down the fretboard.
 7.8
 9.2
 6.3
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
RG320QS Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2004

Purchased from: Dave Phillips Music and Sound, Phillipburg, NJ

Features: I believe my RG320QS is a 2001 or 2002. It was made in Korea. It features 24 jumbo frets, that can sometimes be a reach for the notes closer to the top of the neck. The neck, a thinnish wizard II, is very smooth and easy to slide your hand up and down the fretboard even sweaty hands like mine are still able to move with ease on on the neckwood, although I am not sure on the type of wood it is made from. The fretboard is maple. The body of mine is a transparentish brown/maroon/black very interesting colors. When you see the guitar from far away it looks black, but as you get closer you can see a tiger stripe like pattern in the dark tones of maroon, brown, and deep red. It has a gloss black finish. The body style is the RG series Ibanez look. Double humbucker pickups with active electronics are featured on this guitar, as well as a Floyd Rose bridge. There is a volume control, tone control, and a 5 way selector lever toggle. The tuner is also an interesting feature of this guitar. At the top of fretboard on the head, there is a locking mechanism that requires an allen wrench to tighten and loosen. At the bridge, there is a locking tuner that also has screws in it to tune the guitar without having to unlock the strings from the head lock. When I bought the guitar, no accessories were included, howevere it was on clearance for an unbeleivable $200, so it was quite a deal. The case, strap, and tremelo had to be bought seperate. // 10

Sound: This guitar diffinately suites my music style, classic rock (Zeppelin, Stones, Who, etc). I often use expander with a crunch and ambience to get a nice fuzzy Zeppelin sound out of it, and it is working wonderflly. Although I have owned the guitar for about a year and a half now, I have just recently within the past few months been really starting to pick up my performance and become a better guitarist. For the settings I have my amp, a Behringer Ultrarocgx110, it is working just fine. Sometimes in the very high notes, however, the wound becomes quite piercing, but I guess that would be expected. I can dive to hellishly low lows, and also wain with piercing highs using the tremelo, and the sound stays clear and precise. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: No buzz from the strings either, the action on mine was set perfect frmo the get-go didn't have to change anything from when it was in the store to my house. From the factory the action was perfect. The top locking mechanism is one thing that is bothersome however. It is made of metal and is sharp in places where your fingers hit it. I had to file down some of the sharp edges so that my fingers didn't get eaten by them. Another annoyance is the volume control being so close to the strings, because sometimes when I make a sweeping strum, my hand will hit the knob. The action, appearance, and ease of playing, however, make up for the minor inconveiniences. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has caused me some trouble because the input jack keeps on coming loose. The little nut can never be tightened all the way. Also, the components inside the input jack were not properly soldered and I had to take it apart myself and solder the input together correctly. It has been about 3 weeks since I soldered the jack and it hasn't come apart yet, so I guess my soldering job (17 year old) was better than the factory one. Other than the jack, everything else on the guitar seems solid. The strap buttons aren't budging, and the bridge stays on even while whamming the hell outta it with the tremelo (screw on tremelo is deffinitely a plus). I wouldn't know if I should depend on this guitar in a gig, because I myself have never performed with the guitar. As of now, I would have a backup in case the input jack becomes messed up for some reason. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my first electric guitar, and I've been playing for about 1. 5 years, although in the last few months I have been playing the most consistantly. In addition to this guitar, I also own an Ibanez aucustic guitar, and a Behringer amp as I previously mentioned. Rock, blues, and some metal is what I play, and this guitar is for sure a great match. If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again. I love the ease of play and ability to slide on the neck, and also its broad range of sound. The most annoying thing is the string lock at the top of the neck that was hurting my hand when I rubbed against it. I compaired this guitar to many others including Fenders, Les Pauls, Squires, and even a few other Ibanezs, and this one by far fit me the best. It has nice weight to it, looks are amazing, the action is perfect from the factory, and it just feels good in my hands. // 8

RG320QS Reviewed by: ballbreaker, on april 05, 2005

Features: - Made in 2003 in Korea. - Rosewood neck with 24 jumbo frets. - Solid top. - Body is basswood neck is rosewood. - Transparent finish. - Strat sytle body. - Floyd rose bridge. - Passive electronics. - Volume, tone, 5 way selector Switch. - Two high output Dimarzios at both positions. - Locking tuners. // 10

Sound: It suits me fine. I play more Steve Vai kind of stuff and this performs just as well as my Jems. it can play any tone and is one of my favorite "playing guitars." I have three Marshall stacks but I only play on one with this at my home (you can imagine why). I've got tons of pedals but the ones I use with this are all DigiTech pedals. I just like having a million different effects. Very full sound. I love to play AC/DC on it for my kids. It can do just about everything with the right pedal configs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect. Ibanez does a great job assembling their guitars. The pickups were perfect, I didn't have to change a thing. Top was perfect, bridge was perfect but ill get into that later. The guitar was flawless when they sent it to me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand any concert and I have actually played it once come to think of it. The hard ware will last longer than I do probably. Very sturdy. The strap buttons are solid as a rock. It's never slipped out. I can depend on it any day. I always play with to or more different guitars so I wouldnt take it alone but if I had to I wouldn't have any problem with it. The finish is on there for the long haul. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for the style of music I play. I've been playing for close to 15 years and I have owned at least 300 guitars over my lifetime and this is definatly a winner. Well the only one problem I have with this guitar is changing the strings because of the floyd rose but other than that no questions. But I got it for free so there was no salesman. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't go buy it again cause I have about 150 guitars that I can choose from at anytime I want and its a nice guitar but it doesnt compare to a Vai sig Jem or a Black Beauty so no I wouldn't. But if I was young and didn't have the resources I have now I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I love the smooth action and the Dimarzios. Hate the floyd rose to death. I would compare it to a American Strat only more metaly and a lot less twangy. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014