RG321 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/30/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG321
Ibanez is definitely showing off its finest abilities with this guitar. The neck has the easiest playability of any guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 8.6
reviews (19) pictures (4) 58 comments vote for this gear:
RG321 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

Features: I purchase this guitar about a month ago with a Marshall MG15 Amp. It features dual Ibanez humbucker pickups, a volume knob, a tone knob, and a 5-way pickup Switch. The tuners are more dark silver and looks quite nice. It has 24 jumbo frets. It would be nice, but the tuners are non-locking. // 8

Sound: I like to play more rock and metal and this guitar coupled with my new amp, and my Boss MT2 Distortion Pedal suits my needs. It has an outstanding tone as most Ibanez guitars do. Its nice because it can go from very bright sounding or all the way down to chunky distorted kind of sound. I don't get much feedback but I'm not sure if that's because of my pedal, amp, of the RG. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is beautiful. I have the Royal Blue finished RG. Every picture I've seen on the internet looks more darker bluish like different. The action seemed a bit low moving from a BC Rich Warlock to this one but that's because the BC Rich's action is way high. The fit of this guitar is outstanding. The body is like molded to fit your's when you sit down with it. The side part of the body is slanted inwards for your chest and the corner is slanted for your arm. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not too long ago, I had a problem with the assembly that the 1/4" gauge cable is plugged into. The screws that hold it in came stripped and messed up. I went to ace hardware and bought some wood putty for about $2 and it made it as solid as a rock again. I don't know if that was a factory defect or the shipping conditions made the wood come loose or something but it was VERY easy to fix without any side effects (since its now wood, they can still be screwed out). I've never heard of this happening with anybody else so I think it was just me. Also my strap sometimes falls off but it's because my strap isn't the best. // 6

Overall Impression: Great value. Hard to buy this quality tone for this low of price. If you're thinking about a lower priced RG, this is the one to get. // 10

RG321 Reviewed by: slipknot5556667, on july 01, 2005

Purchased from: Frank's Music Centre

Features: This guitar is probably the best guitar that you can get for the money. It has a basswood body, a mahogany neck and a rose wood fret board. I haven't seen it in n e other colour then what it came with which was navy blue. It came with stock tuners from Ibanez, but I put in some Ibanez locking tuners when I got it. It also has a volume knob, a tone knob (which is good cause I hate f--king with two tones). And it also has 24 frets. // 10

Sound: This guitar was made by Ibanez so oviouslly its made for metal which is what I play and it suits it to a T. I use a mode four double stack amp, that's about 200 watts, and run through a digitech effects board and Ibanez tube screamer and they sound amazing with this guitar. The amp sounds like it was made for it too. The sound on it is great with clean tone and sounds even better with a heavy grunge distortion. This guitar won't even static on you. Unlike Yamanha. I have to give this guitar a 5. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I thought that the guitar was set up awesome at the factory. I didn't have to do thing to it when I got it. It even fell out of the box and it still didn't do thing to vit at all. The pickups I thought were well suited for the guitar so I didn't even touch them but I am thinking of putting in a couple more metal sounding pickups. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is so hard, I could throw it off a stage and it would be as good as new. I play gigs all the time and its the main guitar I use. The hardware was built to last and thats what it's doing, lasting! The strap buttons are so solid, the strap has never fallen off on me once so there was no need to put locking pegs in it. I could depend on this thing. my life. It have never let me down. I've played at a few gigs without my Peavey as a backup and I never needed it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a full metal sound, like Slipknot, Slayer, Mudvayne and it plays it well. No wonder it was the guitar that Mick Thompson used when Slipknot first started. I've been playing guitar for 15 years and have owned many guitars: PRS, Godin, even ESP but this guitar is by far the best one that I have owned. If someone were to steal it, I would break the f--king legs and takeb it back. Thats how much I love it. If your looking for a great guitar on a low bugit, I suggest that you go and buy this great piece of work. // 10

RG321 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Purchased from: Musicians Discount

Features: This is your basic fixed bridge two humbucker guitar, one volume one tone knob. Everything you need, no crap you don't need. // 10

Sound: The sound was ok, not terible for stock pickups but nothing great either. If you like metal, put a Seymore Duncan Invader in the bridge, after I did that, holy crap this thing screams! This guitar should have come stock with this pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: For the money you can't buy a better playing guitar, the action is great. I found no visible flaws, the fretwork is pretty good, nothing compared to my Carvin but then again that's a big price difference. Much better fretwork than any other guitar in this price range though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've giged with it, I've recorded with it, it's withstood the hurricane of sweat and spilled beer, it's still goin strong. I do plan to upgrade the tuners sometime in the near future, nothing wrong with the ones that come on it, I'm just spoiled on sperzels. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it's great, for the price you can't beat it. If you're looking for a cheaper guitar to upgrade, I highlly recomend this one. If you're just starting out and like most of us, on a tight budget, this is a good choice. Or if you're like me, been playing a while, looking for a guitar you can take to the shows and not be affraid it's gonna get scratched, so you can leave your expensive axe safe at home, this is a good choice. // 10

RG321 Reviewed by: ch715dallat, on september 05, 2006

Sound: I play a variety of styles of music from RHCP, punk, classic rock, acoustic, but my main style is metal and that is what this guitar is made for. I'm Using a Roland Cube 30 and this guitar sounds great through it, I can play crunchy rythm through the neck pickup and fast riffs and lead through the brigde pup. The Mahogany body gives a deeper fuller sound than my other guitar and so is great for metal. but it can get the soft sounds needed for RHCP (Under the bridge style) music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came to me perfectly set up, the guitar was in tune and had pretty good set of strings on it, the pups are in the right place although the bridge pup seemed kind of loose? The action on the guitar is the lowest I have ever had, my fingers just fly round and withthe help of the jumbo frets it's feels effortless. The tuners seem fine, no problems. but overall a superblt finished guitar! out of the box and ready to play no setup required. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will certainly withstand live playing, it's built to last, the strap buttons seem strong altho you might want to put locking ones on if you playin metal and jupin around, you know the drill. I could definitely take this with me without a backup if I was gigging, the finish seems like it aint goin to wear down anytime soon so that's good. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and this is perfect for me, but it is also versatile enough to allow for other styles, although it was made for metal and that's wot I give it. If this guitar was stolen I would go straight out and get another or if I had more money go for another RG maybe a Prestige? But I just ove it, it looks great, it looks metal, but it wont look odd if your playing other styles that's the beauty of the superstrat, I was comparing this guitar with the Epiphone G-400 and not only did this guitar blow it out of the water in playability it was also 40 quid cheaper, so it was the easiest decision of my life. There's nothing else I could have hoped for considering the price, it is the best guitar in it's range and rivals guitars quite a bit more expensive than it. If you are looking for a second guitar look no further or if you are a metalhead with experience you could take this beauty and kit it out with some sweet pups and your all set. // 9

RG321 Reviewed by: Spit it out, on december 11, 2006

Purchased from: Scales

Features: Step right up ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the Ibanez RG321. I haven't been playing the guitar for a very long time (nearly 2 years now), but I've playing and tested a lot during then, and I have to say this is one of the best I've played. don't let the low cost put you off this guitar it really is everything you need from a guitar. The default pickups you get with it are good for the price payed but if your looking to use this guitar a lot I would say to invest in some good pickups, some EMG's would be a good idea. It has this typical 1 volume control and 1 tone control and a 5-way selector. // 8

Sound: This guitar is built for rock, hard rock and metal. For forms of rock the pickups will do you fine, but if your a metal guitarist then get new more powerful pickups. The humbuckers aren't very noisy just a gentle hum, but I don't know if that's just my amp and I didn't have it very loud either. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar in a local guitar shop and it had no problems, finish was great, I loved the finish on the guitar, the weathered black is lovely. Nothing has come loose or broke and I don't expect it too, this guitar is build to with-stand punishment, and for the price why wouldent you give it a spanking now and then? The action seemed fine, no annoying buzz or anything. All very well set up in the factory, so you should all be happy chappys when you buy it! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've onloy had this guitar since this morning so I don't know how long it would last, but it does look like you wont have any immediate problems with it. Nothing you should worry about, just set it up how you like it and off you go. If your playing Live you shouldent need a backup atall. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal, mainly Slipknot style stuff and this guitar suits it perfectly. If it were stolen I would cry as my RG321 is custom and it would set me back a lot to get all the stuff again, but it would be well worth it. I really have just fallen head over heels with this guitar! Hope you give this guitar some consideration as it really is amazing for it's price range, good luck with your guitaring! // 9

RG321 Reviewed by: invictus_05, on august 30, 2005

Features: This thing's made in Korea so it's not the best qulaity, but I love the neck. It's really skinny and made to pull off some really nice solos and riffs. It's got dual humbuckers so the sound is pretty good also. You can get some pretty good tones on this thing. Mine's a dark blue finish but you can get black or some other color which I can't remember. It comes with a cord and screwdrivers (which you'll need, I'll explain later) and a handbook and that's about it. // 8

Sound: I play mostly hard rock and blues and I've been using a Fender Frontman amp with it so I can make some really nice sounds on this guitar. It can be noisy a little distorted or clean however you want it. Also depending on what pedals you use and what amp, the sound is great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I could've done with a better finish, but I guess I'm just being picky. The action is good, like I've said before and I'll get to the flaws next. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ok, time for my complaints. The pickups were a problem. They kept on comming out and the screws would pop out during my playing and it would really tick me off. I got it fixed three times before it stayed fixed. But other than that one problem, it's a decent guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a good guitar for the Hard Rock genra and some metal too. I've been playing for seven years and I really like this guitar. So far I think I'm the only one with the pickups problem. Again, my favorite thing is the neck. I love it. There's nothing I really hate about it. Of course it's nothing compared to an Epiphone or a Gibson but this was cheap and I'm poor so, meh. // 8

RG321 Reviewed by: twistedJESTER, on december 20, 2005

Features: The guitar is brand new, and made in Indonisia. Not the greatest place to build a guitar, but what are you going to do? It is solid wood with stained mohagany color (also comes in black and navy blue) and a Strat-like design. The metal is a crome gunmetal grey, and it has a maple fretboard with 24 frets. The body is made out of basswood, but is real solid. It has a Wizard II neck, which is thiner than their other versions. It has active dual pickups with humbuckers, a pickup Switch, a volume and tone control, and has stock tuners and pickups. // 8

Sound: Now for the personal stuff. I play mostly classic rock, metal and '60s folk music (I know they are ond different ends, but hey, I like it), and it really suits it for all. I don't like the high end of thsi guitar, but makes up for it in its low end. It works well with my distortion, but still sounds good clean, if you find the right tone fiddling the tone controls and pickup selector which hepls me out with playing Lamb Of God one minute and Bob Dylan the next. Overall not bad, but there are better sounding guitars out there for around the same price. Also, I recomend replacing the stock pickups with some better ones (plans in near future), but the stocks are still okay. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was put together very well. I don't seeing me haveing to do any repairs to it in the future because of its construction. It is also simple, a guitar you can just pick up and play, unlike some other more expensive guitars that are not mush better than this one. I mean it came 100% clean of any damage, and will stay that way due to its strength. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable. I have palyed it at my school for a project, and was just fine. As I said before it is freakin' toughf, and will last damn near anything. I could depend on this thing (just not my skill) anywhere, with not wearing out or getting dull after hour and hour of use. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said, I play classic rock, thrash and death metal, and '60s folk music, and it can do it all, with the right tone. I have been playing for about 6 months, but have practiced fro at least 2 hours eachday, if not more. I use on a simple 15 watt Crate amp and Line 6 distortion pedal. If somebody stole it, I would have to kill somebody, but I would save up to buy a better one, probably a BC Rich Platinum Pro Beast, but Ibanez is still a good brand, and I could buy another one. I like it, but I really want a beast, but that is still personal. // 7

RG321 Reviewed by: metalfla5h, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: SamAsh

Features: I bought this as a step up from a Squier Strat, and is definitely a good upgrade. I got the black RG321 and it looks awesome. It has a volume knob, 5-way pickup selector and one tone knob cause you don't need two. The dual pickups are pretty nice, but have flaws. // 9

Sound: I play anything from punk to metal, and this guitar handles it with ease. If I want to play some fast Green Day just use the bridge pickup. Some Metallica, neck pickup. I use it through a Marshall MG15, and it sounds great through that. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action for me was perfect, I didn't have to change it at all. The finish is beautiful. I could stare at it for days. The one and only problem I have had with this guitar is the screws holding the pickups in position. They seem to come loose very fast and often. It's a pain in the ass to fix, but other than that, it's awesome. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If I threw this thing out my window (although I never would) it would still play like new. I've dropped it, smashed it into my wall, and it still plays like nothing ever happened. Haven't had any problems with the strap buttons. I would put my life on this guitar. I'll gig with it any day without a backup, because I don't need one, and I don't have enough money for a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play hard rock, metal, and punk, and I can play them all on this guitar. If some ass stole mine, I would hunt him down and kill him, and take my guitar back. But if I couldn't find him I'd buy a new one for sure. I like the overall feel of this guitar. It's light and flexible. When I was buying this, I was comparing it to an Epiphone Les Paul Special and some ESP. But I got this one over all of them. // 9

RG321 Reviewed by: PunishedOne, on january 30, 2006

Features: Mahogany body, amazing Wizard II neck, dual very hot stock humbuckers, and a fixed bridge. 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Nothing you don't need. // 8

Sound: The humbuckers are amazing. They respond well to pinch harmonics, have a lot of punch to power chords and basic shredding as well. Has a lot of warmth to the tone thanks to the mahogany body, and amazing clarity thanks to the great stock pick-ups. When I played Symphony Of Destruction and Master Of Puppets, it almost sounded exactly the same as if Kirk Hammet or James Hetfield/Dave Mustaine had played it. I played it through a Cube 60, which is an amazing metal amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very very good. I had no problem adjusting to the action of the RG. It alowed me to play fast. The pickups I had no problems with. No flaws, but I didn't buy this axe. I only tried it out. However, the neck humbucker was a bit loose, but then again, I tried it out, so it could've been already like that. I didn't use the neck humbucker, so I don't know if that affected the tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I only tried this axe out, so I wouldn't know how it would work while gigging. The finish seems to be directly painted onto the actual wood, and Mahogany is a very hard wood, so most likely the finish won't come off within a month of playing. // 5

Overall Impression: I play thrash metal. The 321MH was perfectly suited for it. I've been playing for 10 months, and in March 20th it will be exactly 1 year. If I bought this, I would use this as my main axe. If it was stolen, I would buy another one, and hunt down the thief. What I love about it the most is the mahogany body. It sounds so warm, so full of tone. I tried this out along with the main contender of this price range: the Schecter Omen 6. The Omen lost to the RG. // 9

RG321 Reviewed by: -Muzzy-, on june 05, 2006

Features: This guitar is an Ibanez RG321MH in the royal blue finish. It was made in Indonesia. It has 24 jumbo frets, the neck is maple with rosewood fretboard, the neck is a Wizard II, it's really fast and thin. The body is a Super-Strat shape made of mahogany with a weathered finish. It has a fixed bridge with string-thru body stringing. The pickups are a set of two humbuckers; Ibanez Infinity 3, and 4, and there is a 5-way pickup switch, and one volume and tone knob. The tuners are some Ibanez standard ones I'm not sure. When I bought this, there was no accessories included. // 10

Sound: I got this guitar about 2 days ago, and I really like the sound, I played it acoustically for the first day since I have no amp yet. It sounds really good unplugged. I played it thru an amp yesterday it was some Peavey half stack. The guitar sounds really good, through it. I didn't use any FX so I don't know about them. The guitar isnt really noisy, sometimes when the volume is too high with the treble and bass setting pretty high theres some feedback, but otherwise its realyl good. The guitar suits my music tastes well. I play rock/hard rock/metal kinda music so it's really good. It can make a lot of different varieties of sounds, so it is pretty versatile for every genre. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up OK in the factory. There were a couple of things to be mentioned that werent so good: the action. It was a bit too low, because there was some fret-buzz on the guitar, now I highered it and it sounds good. The pickups were good, nothing bad to be said. The guitar came to me in good shape except the pickup switch only goes 4 ways even though its supposed to be a 5-way switch. There was a small tiny tiny chip in the wood, but it doesn't really show. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would and will withstand live playing, the hardware and strap buttons are solid as stone. I can depend on it without a backup (I don't have another guitar so). Anyway if I had another guitar I would take it to have a backup, but still this guitar is solid. The finish seems nice, and that it would last a while. Even though there was a small chip on the wood. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for me, I studied different guitars before I bought this thing, and this was the best. I have been playing for 2 years, and this is my first electric guitar. I wish that I would have gotten the guitar set up before it got it because there are not music shops near me. If this was stolen, I would cry a lot, and then go an hunt down that asshole Who took my pride and joy. I would defenately buy this guitar again. I love the finish, and the easy playable neck of it. The only thing I hate is the fret-buzz, even though its not very big. I only own a Raimundo spanish guitar, and some no name acoustic, soon to own a Vox AD50VT. I chose this guitar because it was in my price range, and it seemed the best choice for me overall. The only thing I wish it had would be a tremolo. I kinda want to do all those dive-bombs and stuff. Awesome guitar none-the-less. // 9

RG321 Reviewed by: philjay, on december 11, 2006

Purchased from: www.guitarampkeyboard.com

Features: There are 24 Jumbo frets, the body is mahogany, the nec is the 3pc Wizard II neck, there's a 5-way selector with tone + volume knobs, the pickups include INF3 (neck H), INF4 (bridge H. The electronics are passive, the tuners are Standard (very smooth). The accessories: cable, sticker, 2 allen keys (for truss rod and action configuration). // 10

Sound: Perfect for me, seeing as I play random stuff, metal to Indie to punk to classic rock. Used it with a Line 6 Spider 2 (not mine thank cheesus) and it played sweet, the pickups are better than the Ibanez V7, V8 that came with it on an earlier version. The 5-way switch gives a nice range so you can play stuff out of Fear Factory all the way to The Libertines without the purists shouting at you. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Very well adjusted except for very buzzy low E but nothing a bit of adjustment can change. No need to arrange the truss rod! The finish, nothing to say. Perfect, surprisingly so I mean christ this guitar competes with Squier's? Hell If I didn't know any better I would have put a price tag of 300 based on the quality. No scratches no sketchy drilling no excess glue wire filled perfectly everything is smooth. I was only surprised to hear a sound of something loose that was wondering around somewhere. It was where the wiring is and basically was just wire insulator tube. Thanks to that I even set my eyes on some very nice soldering. I do a fair bit in college myself and apart from a bit of molten insulator (nothing wire exposing) I thought the job was beyond my expectations. Even the zip tie that ties all the wires together was nicely cut! The cover for this though was a little funky, the edges could have been filed down a bit for example. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although I don't plan on playing this thing Live anytime soon, looks to be able to cope with it. In fact if anyone's looking for a cheap back up guitar that you know will work when you plug in the lead, this the ones for you. The first thing I noticed about this guitar as I picked it up was it's weight. Quite a lot heaver than an SG which may mean it's a bit more tiring to play standing up. The tone tone nob nearst to the neck loos a little bit fragile on the tip of one of the top cutaway though but I doubt you'll be giving it that much abuse. // 10

Overall Impression: Now I have to admit I've only been able to compare it to a Epiphone SG G400 but seeing as it's in the same kind of price range (the Epiphone being 50 more though) I would deffinitely choose the Ibanez. By the way, the royal blue finish looks nothing like the pictures on the internet. It's more of a cameleon paint job with a green and blue mix with a bit of sparkle. Very nice with the gunmetal blue hardware! I know a guy Who's owned several $1500+ guitars and after buying this one, he's sticking to it! Great guitar, couldn't ask for more. // 10

RG321 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2007

Purchased from: Sagevik Musikk

Sound: I tried this guitar among many other guitars before buying it. I play mostly Slayer and other thrash/black metal stuff through my Roland Cube 30 with no effects what'soever. Upgraing from my Squier Strat, I was originally planning to buy a Gibson SG. As mentioned, I tried lots of guitars. This RG321, the LTD Kirk Hammett signature model, teh Gibson SG, a very expensive Fender Strat, the Ibanez RG1570 and a Gibson Les Paul. Suprisingly, the only guitars that had sound that I actually liked were the Gibson SG and the RG-321. The RG had a bit more of a chunky sound, where the SG had some more sustain. I went back and forth, forth and back and back and forth again trying out these two guitars. I ended up with the RG321 because it had the most chunky sound of these two, IMHO. I just love the sound for metal playing, very violent and aggressive, and also very hard to explain. The only thing that isn't all that great about the pickups is the feedback you get sometimes. Anyways, if you can't Live with it, buy some new, it's still cheap. It's relatively noiseless. Plays nice on clean too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was nicely set up for me. The action was great, although I'm having some fret buzz because it's so low. Doesn't bother me. The guitar has no flaws (yet) that I've found. The neck is great too. No flaws in the finish. The intonation was good. Pickups were also nicely adjusted when I got it. If there is something I'm going to do with it, it's going to be to raise the bridge a little, to avoid all that fret buzz, but it's not really that important. The guitar fits me like a glove. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I still haven't played Live, but if I did, I'd change the pickups first, because of the feedback one might get (at least I'm getting it). Otherwise, I'd trust this guitar. Nothing feels cheap, and still it's very light. And because of the weight, I don't think it'll ever fall out of the strap. I'd with No Doubt use it on a gig without backup, although there is always a chance that a string might snap on you. The finish is kind of transparent on this one. I've already given it some scratches and stuff, but it just looks even better. I love it. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing the electric guitar for about 6 months when writing this, and this is one of the most lovely guitars I've been playing on so far. I love it more every day, and it's such and improvement over my Squier Strat, and it cost me only $10 more! Fantastic value for the money if you like to play metal, although the non-tremolo brigde may put someone off. It's seriously going to take me a while before I buy a new guitar. I play mostly Slayer, and it fits it perfectly. If I want it to match better, I'll just buy some EMG81s for it. It goes through my Cube30 wonderfully. If it were stolen, I'd buy a new one without hesitating, and probably do lots of evil things to the guy Who stole it. What I love about this guitar is simply the sound and playability, you have to try this for yourself if you are considering it. There is still nothing I relly hate about it, but as mentioned, the feedback might piss me off sometimes. If there is anything I wish this model had, it has to be a single coil pickup for clean playing. Nothing else really. // 9

RG321 Reviewed by: RG_FANMAN, on march 19, 2007

Purchased from: Mr. J's Music store

Features: RG321MH, made in 2005 in Indonesia. 25.5 scale neck, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, white binding on neck. Solid mahogony body. I got mine in Weathered black. Superstrat body, fixed bridge(Ibanez model). Dual passive humbuckers (Ibanez Infinities), one volume, one tone, 5 way blade selector. Grover locking tuners. I got mine with a gig bag, picks, and cables at no extra cost. // 9

Sound: The mahogony body is a beast. For the heaviest of metal, look no further. For the popiest or surf rock, look no furthur. I'm "Learning" guitar, but I've been playing for 8 months and focus mainly on all kinds of rock and some blues(like SRV, and some recent Neurosis stuff). I run this through my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal into my Marshall MG10CD. The amp is crap, but the pedal more than makes up for it. My friend Who's been playing for 2 years tried my guitar out and loved the sounds it could make. Occasionally I'll get some feedback, but that's because of my crappy amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got mine, I could tell it had to have been a floor model. Binding had some nicks(one of which cut my hand), fretwork was shoddy. Also, there were some marks on the body. Not too visible, but enough to annoy. I didn't tune my guitar right the first time, which caused the neck to bow. A 16 dollar setup fixed that! However, the output jack also came loose, but that got fixed during the setup. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't taken my guitar to a gig yet, but I've jammed with other guitarists with mine, and even dropped it on three surfaces! Once on Tile in a basement, once on my kitchen floor, and another time in my living room. The only thing that happened was the input jack came loose, well, looser than it was. I would definitely bring a backup guitar to any gig I went to, just because I like being sure of things. I also like playing stuff in different tunings, so rather than stand there for a few mintues changing tunings for 1 song, I just pull out a different guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar for a learner, or someone Who wants to upgrade a bit from low end stuff. Not by any means a pro guitar. This was my first guitar ever (I'm not counting my mom's acoustic I played around with for a month before getting this), and I definitely care about it. However, now that I've improved greatly I plan on getting an Ibanez SZ320 at the Guitar Center near me. If it got stolen, I'd be sad about it and hate the person who stole it, but I wouldn't hunt down and kill the person. Instead, I'd work extra hard to get a new guitar, because mine's not in the best shape anyway. The only thing I wish it had was a better bridge and better pickups, but that's a 200 dollar fix (with installation). I recommend this to anyone Who wants to learn to be a guitarist, or someone Who's advancing in their playing and needs a better guitar. // 9

RG321 Reviewed by: ibanezguitarz07, on april 25, 2007

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: This guitar was made in about 2005 in Indonesia, or w/e, if you buy this model at a year too much earlier thatn '05 then it is made with basswood instead of mahogany. The mahogany body give a great tone, and even though mahogany is heavy wood the guitar is very light due to being so thin. the three peice maple Wizard II neck, with a rosewood fingerboard is super thin and plays really fast, the best neck I have ever played. Also it has 24 jumbo frets and has good harmonics and wat not. I got mine in weathered black, which isnt a glossy color it's just like a natural finish painted black almost, and so due to picking the paint above my neck pick-up worn away. I wasn't all that into tremelo's when I bought the guitar but I realy wish I had one now, unfortunatly the RG321 has a fixed bridge, which is it's only downfall. Also this guitar comes with nice stock pick-ups, it has an INF-3 at the neck and an INF-4 at the bridge, they're passive so you can't replace them with like an EMG 81 or anything like that, but I haven't changed my pickups yet and I've had mine for about a year, I do plan on replacing them soon with some EMG H4's though which is the passive version of an EMG 81. There is a 4-way pick-up selector to get some diverse sounds out of your guitar. // 10

Sound: The guitar gets an amazing tone from it's mahogany body and it's a great guitar for metal. I play mostly metal & punk, with a little classic rock and blues, and this guitar gives a great sound, I run this thing through a Fender Ultra-Chorus and a Zoom multi-effects pedal, it gets a great sound out of it, I'm planning to get a Randall stack amp though for some more metal, but because of the Fenders great clean channel I can get some good distortion out of it with my pedal // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I must admit that this guitar will fall apart after a while, I have had one of the screws fall out of my pick-up mount and the strap button fell out, but I think that's only cause I put strap locks in and it messed with the hole. The action was at a medium-low height but I lowered mine so that it was real low and it's great now, I use 11 gauge strings and tune it to C-G-C-F-A-D and there is no string buzzing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would use this guitar live with no problem, the hardware is good and it looks nice too, it's kind of a chromed-black color. However the strap buttons on mine fell out. I would infact use this without a backup, and if I did have a backup it would just be another RG321. The only bad thing about it's paint is it wears off easy, looks great though! // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is an amazing guitar, I would choose this guitar over my friends like $800 dollar guitars, I think it plays but faster and smoothly and it has a better sound. I strongly recomend this guitar for anyone, although get the RG320, it's this guitar with a floyd rose, that's the only difference haha. It's a simple guitar, but it's also all you need, with amazing sound and playability. // 10

RG321 Reviewed by: Apothecary, on april 20, 2010

Purchased from: Leitz Music

Features: I got this guitar for Christmas 2009, so I've had it for about 5 months now. I've got to say, it's my favorite guitar that I've played. It has 24 Jumbo frets, 25-1/2" scale, 3-piece maple neck, Mahogany body, Bound rosewood fingerboard, passive electronics, a volume and tone knob, 5-way pick-up selector, two INF(3 & 4) Humbuckers, with non-locking tuners. // 8

Sound: I play alot of metal and hardcore punk. This Ibanez definitely suits my playing. The amp I use with it is an Ibanez 65w X Tone Blaster with a DigiTech RP500 multi-effects processor. Using the Rp500 mainly for flanger, chorus, reverb, and wah effects, the amps tones fit my guitars tones perfectly. The versatility of the RG321 is impressive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is comfortable to me, probably because I prefer Ibanez styles. But compared to my old guitar, Epiphone Les Paul Special II, the action is much easier to get used to. The finish is beautiful. I have the Weathered Black finish and it still shines as beautifully as the day I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: For the most aprt, this is a well built guitar. I haven't had any problems playing live. It was able to withstand me jamming it uncontrollably during practice every week so it has reliability. All but in the amp jack. The amp jack fell out, the nut fell loose. I just went down to the shop and bought a tiny replacement piece for like 50 cents, but none the less a small problem. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a great guitar for a great price. It's great for most styles of music, in my opinion. I would definitely buy a replacement if this guitar were stolen. I compared it to my previous guitars and I enjoy this one much better. It's tone and varying capabilities will make it that much more a worth while guitar. // 10

RG321 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2011

Price paid: € 375

Purchased from: Session Music

Features: I bought this guitar last year but I don't know when it was made. It's made in Indonesia and has 24 Jumbo Frets. The Fretboard is Rosewood and the neck is 3-piece Maple. It has a basswood body. The finish could have been better as you can see every Fingerprint on it. It's a Modern Strat body style with 2 Ibanez Humbuckers which are EMG designed. They could have been better but for that price they are good. It's a fixed string thru Body bridge and the tuners are just some Ibanez Tuners but they stay in tune pretty good for me. It has a 5 way pick up selector a volume and one tone knob and I like those. I got mine with a gig bag and an Ibanez Strap which is pretty cool. // 9

Sound: It's Ibanez made so you'd think it can just do metal. But that's not right. I can also play blues, rock Hardrock and even pop on it. The tone is pretty thick so I can even play Guns N' Roses songs with it. I play it thru a Marshall MG30 FX and it does pretty well in all channels. It can play AC/DC in the Crunch Channel on the back pick up to Slipknot on the OD2 on the back pick up. Pretty nice guitar. With the splitted Humbucker it can also do very nice clean sounds and it shows great variety. Only thing I don't like all that much is that it gets a little bit too bright on the highest frets. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This Guitar was set up perfectly I didn't have to do anything with it. It didn't have any flaws it was just amazing. One thing I don't like though is that the middle position where both humbuckers are used doesn't do whole lot of difference to the neck pick up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing definitely but I don't think the pickups will last all that long. The strap buttons are solid and won't cut the strap so the guitar won't fall down. I would use it on a gig without a backup as it is very reliable and the finish doesn't wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said this can do very much. I play guitar for not too long know but I play it much. I'd buy it anytime again as it is awesome for that price. I love that it is so reliable and can do so many music styles. I don't like the pick-ups though but you can chance those. I compared it to some Epiphone stuff and some other Ibanez guitars but for this price it was the best guitar. // 10

RG321 Reviewed by: h3llh4mm3r, on february 04, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia in 2010. It has a Strat style mahogany body, a Wizard II neck with 24 jumbo frets and a bound rosewood fingerboard, a Gibraltar fixed bridge, EMG H4 & H4A passive humbuckers, one volume and one tone, with a three-way selector switch. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal, and I use this guitar with a Peavey Vypyr 30 amplifier. It's sound is very similar to my other two guitars (a bc rich Bich masterpiece and a beast), and that's the only comparison I have, so I guess it sounds ok to me, no more, no less. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set-up at the factory (action, intonation, and neck curvature). The only thing was that the two humbuckers were a little bit low to my liking, and to raise the bridge pickup I had to shorten the adjusting springs a little bit. As far as I can tell it had no flaws whatsoever. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do not gig, so I really couldn't tell if this guitar would withstand live playing. It seems solid though, and the finish looks good enough to last. All the hardware is metal, no cheap plastic knobs here! Owned it and played it for a couple of months now, and it seems tough enough to me, but it does go out of tune a little quick for my liking. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for over 25 years now, and I mostly play 80s metal like Helloween and Metallica. This guitar is made for the metal player. The low-profile Gibraltar bridge is really awesome, very comfortable for palm-muting. Still there are some things about it I do not like and that I will try to avoid in the future. For one, I find the nut too big, I mean by that the strings are too high at the nut so it is very difficult for large fingers to make open chords without muting adjacent strings. And that darn volume knob is way too close to the bridge pickup and gets in the way when palm muting on high strings. For these reasons if it were stolen I would not replace it. I bought this guitar mainly because I wanted to try a 25.5 inch scale neck, and I must say this neck plays very well, all the way to the 24th fret. I would say this is a shredder's guitar, but as I said unless you have tiny fingers forget about open chords. // 6

RG321 Reviewed by: EmmanCastillo, on november 30, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians friend.

Features: Actually I have the 7 string version Made in 2010 in Japan. 4 frets, 25.5 neck scale, pretty damn fast neck profile and really good grip. Basswood body, mine came with a black glossy finish, really neat. Gibraltar style bridge, 2 humbucker Ibz pickups (which I don't really love). 1 volume 1 tone, 3 way selector switch. I went so many times to the store just to try it out and see if it was the right guitar for me to fill my needs that I became friends with the guys at MF. The day on which I decided to finally purchase it The guys at MF included me a cable, a tuner, a strap and a pair of tortex aswell, really nice dudes. // 9

Sound: The guitar by itself resonates superbly, making every note I play came out alive. The fun starts when I plug this baby, notes are complex and have sustain, but the thing is that it really gets muddy with high gain distortion settings. Pickups: While maintaining a very bassy punch, the midrange response was cut out, a con for those who like to actually hear themselves through the mix. They are noisy and hard to get used to, even when using clean settings, you can hear the mud I'm talking about. I'm using my Line 6 spider IV 120 amp with it and I can get any sound I can imagine from it. From bluesy, jazz chorus stuff, to deathcore, doom metal grind with the right settings. All in all, the guitar itself sounds amazing, the pickups lack a lot. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the level ups begins, action And intonation where perfect from factory, even the pickups where in the right place. The only thing I would change is the distance from the volume control to the bridge, I feel its pretty close to it and I keep hitting it every time I'm soloing in the high register. Other than that, the neck joint where it meets the body, was INCREDIBLE, performing even better than some set necks I own, it just feels natural and resonates so well. Mine came with no visible flaws (thank god). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can trust my live performances on this axe anyday without even worrying about anything. Its built like a thank, I have hit so many things with it while being onstage and getting really pumped and only a few scratches show up. The hardware seems like it will last forever, the strap buttons a pretty average so I change them to straplocks. The finish is here to last, the more I play this thing, the more it shines, really. Its my main Axe on live shows and in studio, I depend on her so much that I no longer have to bring a backup guitar to the gigs anymore. // 10

Overall Impression: I play every style of music you can think of, mostly all shades of metal and occasional jazz jams. And this beauty can handle it very well. I bought it to be my first 7 string and get into the groove aswell, having in mind that I will also need a pickup change. Currently I have a friend of mine install a pair of blackouts on it and it screams METAL all the way but also whispers jazz along the trails. I absolutely love every aspect of it, the well build, the solid feel, the extra thin neck, the jumbo frets, the basic controls, even the tuners where above average. Not to mention the sexy looks this one has, slim body with the classic RG curved style creating a devilish looking 7string. All in all, great guitar for recording, live performance uses, just change the pickups and it will perform like a champ.

// 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ EDR170 8.7 Electric Guitars 11/18/2014