RG350M Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/07/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG350M
If you need a rockaxe and ain't got the doe for (or can't find) a JEM or a RG550, this is probably the best pick you could do!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Features: 8.9
 8.5
reviews (8) pictures (8) 18 comments vote for this gear:
RG350M Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 15, 2009

Purchased from: LM

Features: Made in 2009, Indonesia 24 Frets (Jumbo) Solid top Passive Pickups H/S/H IBZ pups(Inf4, Infs3, Inf3) Body (Solid), bassewood Maple/Maple 3 pcs Wizard II neck Finish is Yellow Bodysyle: Superstrat Ibanez Edge III Tremolo Tuners Ghoto "copy" by Ibanez All hardware Black Gigbag + tools included // 9

Sound: Been playing metal & Rock for over 20+ years now and I've played tons of different guitars such as Valley Arts, musicmans, gibsons, fenders, Jacksons. My Live setup Been playing metal & Rock for over 20+ years now and I've played tons of different guitars such as Valley Arts, musicmans, gibsons, fenders, Jacksons. My Live setup has been Marshall 800's w. Various Greenback cabs. No particular effects other than Classic Dunlop "Crybaby" Wah's. The sound in these pups are very nice they do not make a lot of noise (besides what I like) has a very good tone in all positions. It was my intention to change these for some DiMarzio's, but I had second doubts because I little to my surprise these pups sound really great!? In fact they remind me a little towards DiMarzio's (which they are modeled after I guess?!) They is a lot of potential in these pups, all from hard "chunk a chunk a" heavy riff'n to creamy solo and funky "chicken-scratch" fine sustain, but a little low on natural harmonics! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action "out-of-the-box" was decent, pretty low action and very nice Acoustic tone too. Not too heavy and very nice balanced (as most Ibanez's are I think) The neck is the "slim" type of neck and in this case maple/maple with Dot inlays, good tone in the basswood body, three springs for the tremolo and a nice feature for the tremolo arm is the up and down regulator makes you able to adjust the heigt of the tremolo arm "on-the-fly". // 9

Reliability & Durability: Have not played this axe Live yet, but I will!..and as I bought two of these I will bring the other along too as a backup (anyway, Who would wanna gig without a backup?!) // 9

Overall Impression: If you need a rockaxe and aint got the doe for (or can't find) a JEM or a RG550, this is probably the best pick you could do! You wont be disappointed and if you adjust the EDGE III probably (stretch strings, level the whole thing as it should) you can do dives, woobles and screaming horse for eternity or till your band maids complaints and actually wants a little soloing here and there. Great fun and worth every penny. The only thing I would like more is a little more natural harmonics other than that I'm very satisfied. Of course this aint no JEM777 or RG550 (But still scarily close to the RG550) but it's a very fine and stable guitar which will give you many happy and satisfying rock hours. // 9

RG350M Reviewed by: kavnar, on october 27, 2009

Features: I think that the guitar was maded in early 2009 in Indonesia. It's the Ibanez superstrat style signature RG. It has 24 Jumbo frets on a wizard neck.(which is beautiful)And also a maple dotted fretboard. It has an Edge 3 Floyd Rose style tremelo. Not sure what the pickups are, they're Ibanez something's. I got a free lead and two alan keys to adjust the trem, neck and action of the guitar. // 10

Sound: I play alot of melodic metal(the eyes of a traitor, Eternal lord) and to be quite honest the trem wont handle most drop tunings without some serious messing around. And if you don't know what you're doing you meet get a little kafuffled. I picked this guitar up today and I've already speant about 8 hours getting it how I want it. I'm running the guitar through my line 6 spider 2 combo at the moment, and it sounds great. The clean tone is also beautiful, and rich. I think too many people have too much of an anti stock view towards pickups. I think these have a beautiful sound and very unique. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm going to have to give it an 8 but that's only because of my playing style. For anyone wanting to tune to Standard or drop d, the guitar should serve them fine with no major alterations, but for anyone who wants to play around with those lower tunings, be prepared to get your hands dirty! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm only giving it a 10 because I've only had it for the past 12 hours or so, I will write another review after I'd gigged with it, but judging from what it's like I don't think I'll be having any problems with it! // 10

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is great, the unique yellow finish and dotted mape fretboard really atracted me to this guitar. For anyone wanting to play in Standard tuning just go for it. I think this is the best guitar you could pick up in this price range. And yes I would deffinately buy this guitar again if I lost it. I may have sounded to critisizing on the trem, but that's only because it was hard to get my head around. Now I've sorted it it sounds and feels amazing! // 10

RG350M Reviewed by: kaizerkhan13, on february 04, 2010

Purchased from: C & M Music Center

Features: This guitar was made in 2009 in Korea. It has 24 frets on a thin Wizard II neck with fisheye maple on the fingerboard, which was the main selling feature for me. Its a classic Ibanez superstrat bodystyle finished in bright, bright yellow paint. It comes with Ibanez's Edge III tremolo bridge with passive INF pickups and two controls, volume and tone, with a 5 way pickup selector. The pickups are in a HSH configuration, which a new setup for me. (my LTD has SSH, as does my Fender.) // 9

Sound: I play metal, hardcore, death metal, a little blues and ambient stuff. This guitar, by way of my amp (Randall 120RHS) and the pickup selection I have, can handle anything I throw at it. Blues licks, heavy distorted dissonant chords, or searing solos all come out of this guitar sounding very bright and with a good bit of sustain. The tremolo is classic Ibanez durability, standing up to dive bombs and herman-li style "lemme hold my guitar up by the tremolo arm after a high pinch" with absolutely no tuning problems. The chording on Pouring reign by As Blood Runs Black, for example, with the pickup selector in between the neck and middle pickup and a little reverb sounds better than the album version. Heavy riffing, palm muting, shredding and tapping are clear, never muddled or distorted. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory action was low, but I had the store set it up for me with a nice high action and Ernie Ball Power Slinkys, which work great in Drop C, btw. I've used emf or years and any thicker just doesn't feel right to me. Anyway, I didn't have to touch the pickups at all, and the finish is beyond tough. Its been dropped already, a few times, but the paint hasn't chipped or even dented the wood. No flaws that I could find, and it feels like playing an 800 dollar guitar instead of the 400 I paid for it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was absolutely built for live playing. Whod get one this color to stay in your room and jam? The finish, the hardware (tuners, strap buttons, bridge, etc) are built to last. I know I can depend on this thing for any show, any length of time. I'd never use it without a backup, just in case the strings break (our last show was interrupted by me tearing a broken E string off my guitar to stop from muting the strings... Not cool). Its already fast becoming my workhorse guitar; detuning, retuning, trying new styles of playing or even guitar flips, nothings too tough for this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: For metalheads, of course this is a good match. Its and Ibanez RG. But even my friends that play blues or Indie music have played it and loved it. You can get any sound out of this thing, not just heavy distorted brutality. I've been playing for about 4 years now, and own an ESP/LTD MH 53, a Fender Starcaster, and a crappy Lyon starter guitar. If it were stolen, I'd use my lyon to club the dude to death and get it back. If it were lost, I'd cry myself to sleep, then buy another one. I compared to Jackson guitars, other ESP's, and even an Epi. None felt as good, sounded as clear and defined or looked as awesome. Idve paid 5- or even 600 for this guitar, easy. // 9

RG350M Reviewed by: SilverSpurs616, on february 15, 2010

Purchased from: GAK

Features: A fast neck and locking tremolo make this an affordable solution for the metal/shred guitarist! This guitar was made in Indonisia in 2008. It has 24 jumbo frets on a maple fretboard, with a solid basswood body- superstrat shape. The neck is the Wizard II maple I believe. My RG350M is black body, head, hardware and pickguard and the fretboard is of a flamed natural maple finish, with dotted fret markers. It features the somewhat infamous Ibanez Edge III tremolo, and the Infinity 3&4 pickups in the HSH position with a 5-way selector switch. I had no acessories with this, not even an instruction manual :( // 7

Sound: Being a music student, I constantly have to play styles outside of what I may play at home. I'm playing through a Peavey Vypyr amp and a college Roland modelling amp, and it performs well with a range of sounds! With the neck (INF3) humbucker selected I can get a clear tone for Paul Gilbert-style soloing to clean jazz and blues, or switch to the neck single-coil for that more twangy sound- I'm very fond of it! The bridge pickup is a slight letdown however, it lacks the distinct punch'n'crunch needed for heavier styles, such as Trivium or Lamb Of God. The middle single-coil doesn't sound too different from the bridge single, and it is also very noisy. Ignoring the middle pickup, the rest are silent and clear. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I assume the guitar was set up by Ibanez, but the good folks at GAK set it up again for free! The action on the bass side was 5mm at the 14th fret- a little too high for my liking, even though I prefer higher bass strings. I have lowered the action myself to 2.5mm, any lower and the fret buzz starts appearing. The pickups are fine, can't complain aside from the aforementioned sound with the bridge. The central single-coil mayb be damaged though, I'll have to look into it. The bridge wasn't quite parallel, so that was adjusted by me too. Also the factory strings were horrid, poor tone and unpleasant feel. Onto the Edge III tremolo! A LOT of people give the Edge III a lot of hate, and I can understand why. I'm not a whammy-bar person, I like the odd dive or fluttering chords but that it all. WHEN SET UP PROPERLY, the Edge III will stay in tune for weeks to a month and can handle a fair amount of trem-abuse. If not set up..well, why would you expect it to work? If you don't mind the maintainance once in a while, this trem will not disappoint. The main issue with the Edge III seems to be the design- the side "plates" are a slanted shape, so it is very easy to mistake whether it is parallel or not. As mentioned, if it's set up correctly then it will hold well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I feel comfortable with this guitar, and I have used it live for both musical theatre and gigs. It hasn't let me down and I will likely continue using it live, though I am rather fond of my Les Paul! The strap buttons haven't given me any trouble, they are tight and solid. I would consider getting better locks, JUST to be safe. I don't wanna drop this! Again as mentioned if the trem is set up correctly it will hold perfect tune for an entire gig, so it is dependable. I've knocked it against tables and beds ect while being careless, not a scratch so far even on a black finish (black tends to show up scratches far more). I feel that this is a very reliable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of styles, and I can say it suits the majority. I'm playing with Elixir 9's, so drop tunings don't sound great (older Trivium, Lamb Of God) but with thicker strings I'm sure it would. Jazz & blues sound fantastic from the neck pickup- humbucker for very clear and full tone, single-coil for more percussive strumming such as Stevie Wonder's "Superstition". I've been playing for 3 years, and I'm starting to break into faster and more intense playing styles that would have been difficult on a Les Paul. This guitar addressed my needs! I especially love the single-coil neck pickup and the maple fretboard- vibrato never felt so good! If it were stolen, I would be heartbroken but I would likely buy the same or simular model again. I've always loved Ibanez guitars, they are aesthetically pleasing to me in the way that they don't over-do it. I tried a range of guitars, the only one that came close was a Yamaha Pacifica because of the slim neck and single-coils. I wish I had bought a different color, black is a little boring but I plan to spice it up with some decals. I would also like to upgrade the bridge pickup to something more powerful, but I'm content for now. // 8

RG350M Reviewed by: Dannnn_xD, on may 19, 2010

Price paid: £ 347.32

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

Features: This thing is a beast. 24 frets with the wizard neck are easy to negotiate with and you play so easy. Pickups are over average, neck is a warm sounding lead pickup, middle (single coil) is average for cleans, you just have to fiddle a bit with the tones. Bridge pickup is solid for things like galloping (as this is a metal guitar) and chords. Tremolo is average. Whammy never comes out of place, but you can go any lower tuning wise than drop D, or the bridge sags to a point where you can't play it. // 9

Sound: I play through a Marshall mg50dfx, and it sounds awesome. The amp it's self is average, but the guitar gives it a nice kick. Distorted sound insane with the humbuckers. Nice bright, full sound, but keep the volume and tone right up high. I mostly play metalcore, hardcore, hard rock and alternative. Suits all these styles beautifully. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Solid finish, no flaws at all I have found so far (4 months & running) only thing is the bridge is pretty poor for the price you pay, but I suppose thats nothing to do with the wayit was assembled. After playing you can't find any hum or things that seem to be wrong with the internal wiring. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not played with it live, but its VERY realiable. Hardware seems like it will last, and the locking nuts don't let the tuning slip even after hours of shredding. EASILY giggable without a backup. Strap locks are pretty good, I suggest a strong leather strap. // 9

Overall Impression: Coming from a beginner, who has escalated into a intermediate because of this guitar. VERY solid for the price you pay! Definite buy! If it was stolen, I would maybe buy another, but I'm only saying that because there's so much variety out there! Gets a 9, because its almost perfect. // 9

RG350M Reviewed by: barfrog, on june 16, 2010

Price paid: £ 299.99

Purchased from: Andertons Music Co.

Features: My RG350MYE was made in Indonesia, im guessing its a 2009 model. Features include: - Ibanez RG-stlye basswood body - all-yellow finish w/ black pickguard - 24 Jumbo frets - thin Wizard II bolt-on maple neck w/ black Dot inlays - Edge III Floyd Rose-style double-locking vibrato system - H-S-H passive pickups (bridge: INF4, middle: INFS3, neck: INF3) - Standard Ibanez tuners - 5-way pickup selector - 1 volume control, 1 tone control The guitar came with a vibrato bar, allen keys (essential for maintainence), spare bridge spring, basically everything you need to get started. // 8

Sound: A fairly large range of sounds are achieveable with this guitar. Obviously alot depends on the amp but everything from classic rock, hard rock, alternative and metal to blues, jazz, pop and beyond is covered - its extremely versatile. I mainly use it for the solo project I have going at the moment, an alternative/electro sound backed up by high-gain guitars - high gain is what this guitar does best so it suits perfectly, but as I say its very versatile and could probably be used comfortably in any genre. For 300 you aren't going to get something that matches higher end guitars, but I have to say I was pleasently surprised by the sound of the stock pickups on this thing. That INF4 in the bridge position offers a thick and heavy tone with little backround noise, perfect for a bit of hard riffing. Both humbuckers are coil-tapped, notably allowing beautiful, prestine clean tones when the neck-middle combination is selected. The value for money when it comes to sound is outstanding. My plans for it include the installation of a MI. Audio GI Fuzz pedal, possibly a Kaoss Pad if there's room, and new pickups (though the quality of the stock pups are causing me to have a rethink). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was perfect, unfortuneatly the factory strings were 9s and I have a preference for 10s. This caused alot of hassle when changing over, the bridge requiring alot of adjusting and fine-tuning. The Edge III itself gets alot of bad press, but if set-up and maintained correctly it can be functional and hold tune extremely well. This can require a certain amount of effort at times, but the results are well worth it. Other than that everything else it flawless - the yellow finish might not be everyones cup of tea, but once you see this guitar up close it really is beautiful. The combination of black hardware, maple neck, and that stunning finish on a Super Strat-style body is truly inspired. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Due to the basswood body, its fairly light-weight, which can work both ways. On the one hand it makes playing on stage and general sustained playing a whole lot easier, but on the other it does feel as though with a bit of abuse it could easily break. In reality I think it will stand up to the rigours of live playing, but I always feel like I have to be extra careful with it compared to my other 2 other guitars, even when using it in the bedroom. You should never gig without a back-up, but I'd be extra wary with this guitar. That said nothing has gone majorly wrong so far, I've had no problems with the strap buttons etc or the general reliability. On a minor note the finish has been chipped in a couple of places, but these aren't really noticeable and do nothing to ruin the overall appearence. As I've mentioned the Edge III will need looking after, but with a bit of patience this isnt really a problem. // 6

Overall Impression: I'm very pleased overall, Ibanez have a reputation for turning out excellant budget guitars, the RG350M is no exception. you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal for 300, especially if you play metal or rock. Some may have a problem with the amount of maintainence involved with this guitar compared to other models, so if you want something that's going to look after itself then I recommend you look elsewhere. don't let that put you off though, the small efforts are very rewarding. If I had the choice I would defnitely make the same purchase again. // 8

RG350M Reviewed by: metalhed0294, on may 17, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

Features: This Indonesian Ibanez has a bright yellow super-strat shaped body. It also has a black pickguard, and the pickups, knobs, bridge, locking nut, truss-rod cover, and tuning hardware is all black as well. The Bridge is an Edge III bridge, one of Ibanez's many versions of a Floyd Rose. I have a problem with it, but I'm not sure if it's how they made the guitar or if I just played on it too much. Basically, I will pull the trem all the way up and let go, and play the low E string, and it will sound one way, but then, if I push the trem all the way down and let go, the same string will sound lower, about half of a half step lower. Also, and this could be my fault, but when I use the tremolo, the sound fades out quickly and the other strings that I'm not playing on will make noise after a while. Otherwise, the trem system is great, the locking nut is so good, I haven't had to tune it for about two weeks now. The guitar has 1 volume control, 1 tone control, and a five way pickup selector, all of which are fantastic. I play heavy metal, thrash metal, some hard rock, and the Standard Ibanez pickups (Infinity 4 in the bridge, Infinity Single 3 in the middle, and Infinity 3 in the neck, H-S-H configuration) work great for it, even though I plan to replace them someday. I mostly use the Bridge pickup, but I do use all of them at some point. The maple neck is very fast and flat; it is very easy to get around, and it is no problem reaching any of the 24 frets. The guitar came with yellow DR coated strings, which work great, and the color definately makes the guitar look even cooler. However, I would like to point out that the yellow strings weren't put on at the factory, the guy at Sam Ash put them on to se what they'd look like. In other words, don't expect this guitar to come with yellow strings. // 9

Sound: The sound on this guitar is excellent. You can go from a very crunchy sound using the Bridge pickup with the tone all the way up, to a very bassy, sludgy sound with the neck pickup and the tone all the way down. However, on the higher notes/frets, the sustain isn't as good as on the lower frets. This could be my playing, however, I'm really not sure. Also, as I've pointed out before, when I use the tremolo, the strings I'm not playing on start to fade in. Again, this could be my playing. But other wise, this guitar easily handles the metal that I play, and the clean sounds are great as well. I play Johnny Cash, too, and I can play his songs excellently on this Ibanez. I play it through a Vox VT15 amp, which is great. I guess it's possible that that is how I'm getting the undesired sounds, but I doubt it. This amp is great. The only pedal I have is a Vox channel switching pedal for the amp, and it works fine as well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I brought my guitar in for a restring about a week after I got it, the guy at Sam Ash said it was set up horribly. When I got it back, the pickups were lower (height-wise), the trem was farther back, and it sounded a lot better. I guess they did a half-as- job of setting it up in the factory, so I'm glad I got it set up properly so soon. However, everything else was fine. So, if you know how to set up a trem guitar or have a warranty to get free set ups from wherever you bought it, it would definately be worth taking a look at. But now that it is set up, the action is great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This Ibanez could most certainly withstand a live show. I think the hardware will last for a long time. I've had it for about 5 months now (I got it at Christmas), and the hardware has made it this long, and I don't expect it to go out on me any time soon. Some people might want to replace the factory pickups, but I don't mind, I think they're just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar would seriously work with any genre, specifically (for me) metal. I've been playing for about a year and a half, but since I got this Ibanez, my skills have grown a lot. I have greatly advanced on my soloing skills specifically, for the flat fretboard really makes shredding and soloing an easy task. And it's without question better than my Fender Squire Bullet. I wish it had strap locks, because on the first day I had it, the strap fell off, and the guitar hit the floor and the tremolo arm bent, and had to be hammered back into place. If this guitar was lost or stollen, I would definately get it again, on account of I've yet to find a guitar that I like more than this one. I've tried many other brands, and only Schecter comes close, but it's still nothing compared to Ibanez. I've even tried the more expensive Ibanez's, like the RG920QM or the Mick Thomsen signature MTM1, and I still like my RG350MYE more. What I love most is the maple neck/fretboard. It is very flat and comfortable to shred on. Also, the fact that it's maple helps, because I think most guitars would look better with maple necks/fretboards. When I first played this guitar at Sam Ash, the guy who was helping me out left to go help another customer after he handed me the guitar. I wanted to try it ou just for fun (because of the color. When he came back, I told him this guitar was the best one I'd ever played. This guitar is perfect in every way, minus the few tremolo problems which I believe can be fixed. I honestly would not settle for any other guitar on this planet. This guitar is still the most fantastic thing I've ever played. // 10

RG350M Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2012

Purchased from: Fann Al Sout Music

Features: The Guitar was made in 2012. Made in Indonesia. Has 24 Frets. Included Accessories: Ibanez Gig Bag ISGB501-BK, Power Wire, 3 Allen Keys of different sizes, Tremolo Bar, Owner Manual etc. Controls given are Volume Knob, Pickup Knob and 5 way selector. Tuners come with a dual locking formation. Not sure about the brand of tuners. It has the brightest maplewood ever. - Neck Material: 3pc Maple - Neck Type: Wizard III - Body: Basswood body - Frets: Jumbo frets - Fingerboard: Maple - Inlay: Black dot inlay - Bridge: Edge Zero II bridge w/ZPS3Fe on RGM & Edge III bridge on SLB YE models - NeckPU: INF3 - MiddlePU: INFS3 - BridgePU: INF4 - HW Color: BK // 10

Sound: I love it as the best part about this axe is that it can play all sorts of stuff and as of now, my guitar playing style is just plain light but I'm sure as I go ahead with the intensity of my guitar play, this amazing axe will help me cut through any form. The amp that am using with this is Fender Frontman 10G cos that's what I own as of now but I'll be however getting a bigger amp later to suit to my needs. But as of now, I'm good with what I have. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: About the looks, I guess as far as most of the guitars are concerned, they usually are either black or white in color but this thing is finished with an amazing rich YELLOW color which is quite rare amongst guitar owners. No the guitar was perfect and the best part is that I got a 2012 model which is brand new and has been recently made with the new features like the EDGE 2 which is supposedly better than the EDGE 3 that used to feature on this guitar sometime back. I love my guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes this guitar is fit for live playing as it can withstand hours and hours of play and it still manages to impress even after those long hours of play with it's brilliant performance. The hardware, yes it is of a superior quality and it will most probably not betray you even in the long run. The strap buttons to be frank, are not bad but could have been worked on for a little longer but that's okay as it's just a minor concern there. Yes, I can depend and rely on this guitar as it has some great work done. The finish of it is quite amazing but you gotta take care of it by just not keeping it on the floor and not cleaning it time to time, if it really means a lot to you, you gotta take care and it will get you back the love you give it. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play Alternative Rock style of playing and some blues and metal make their way into my guitar playing too from time to time. I've been playing for 1-2 years now. I do not own any electric guitar but yes, I do have an acoustic guitar that I enjoy when I don't wanna make an effort of plugging and stuff. If this was stolen, I'd be really sad. And yeah I'd definitely get this one back as I simply love it. Well, it doesn't really require anything pre-purchase of this gear. I love it's look and the style and impression this one gives to the audience is beyond talks. It's not only the looks but also it's play that impresses the one playing it. There's nothing I hate about this. Yeah I did compare it to other Ibanez gears as the GRG250DX, RG370DX but still I had a clear eye for this one. I simply love it for the impression it's given me till now and I feel it will continue to impress me always and no matter what, I'll never sell this one. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO GET THIS ONE. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014