RG350MDX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/18/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG350MDX
The Ibanez RG350MDX is a limited production RG model built for metal! Features include Maple fingerboard, Wizard II neck, basswood body, INF pickups (2 humbuckers and a single coil), jumbo frets and Edge III tremolo bridge.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Features: 8.7
 8.2
 8.4
 7.9
reviews (12) pictures (1) 65 comments vote for this gear:
RG350MDX Reviewed by: Johl, on may 24, 2007

Sound: My setup is as follows, Ibanez RG350MDX (with 11 gauge strings), Visual Sounds "Jekyll & Hyde", EHX "Holier Grail", Fender FH100H, Home-made 212 with Vintage 30's. As you can see, my setup is modest at best, nothing "over the top" by any means. However, this guitar seals the deal. I was very impressed with the quality and variety of tone it brings to the table. I was able to get that "classic" Ibanez metal tone with the bridge pickup, a Fender-like jangle with the mid. pickup, and a very smooth jazz tone with the neck pickup. Not to mention, a surprisingly good acoustic/piezo-like sound from the second position (in between the Bridge & Mid). By far, the most versatile guitar I've ever played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was decent, to say the least. Although, I'm not the pickiest person when it comes to guitar setup, so after I tuned, I was on my way. I did however, tighten the trem. bar tension eventually, as it was a little loose for my liking. As far as pickup height, I like how it came from the factory, so I have yet to change it. I must say though, the springs supporting the Edge III trem. system have began to fail me some. The guitar comes Standard with three springs in the back, with an extra spring, just in case. I believe I have fallen under that "just in case" category, as of lately. As I said before, I use heavier gauge strings, partly for my lower tunings, partly for the flatter tone. So, as with any trem., I need more support to counter balance my style. This isn't a fault on Ibanez's part though, it's just an inevitability you face with lower tunings on locking trem. guitars. I just need to add the spring on the back, and all will be well again. Just be forewarned, if you're like me, go ahead and add the 4th spring right when you get the guitar. It'll be less of a pain then coming at a crossroads with it when you're not expecting it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only played one Live show with it, and it stood up to my heavy playing wonderfully. I pulled out all the stops with it. Everything from "guitar throws/whips" to jumping off of crap with it. Could I use this guitar at a gig without a backup? Realistically, yes. But I never would. I've had too many instances where I broke a string due to harsh playing, which was at no fault to the guitar. As to date, the finish has held up beautifully. I have yet to see a scratch on it that I've thought, "Where the hell did that come from?!" Compared to my other guitars, the Ibanez RG350MDX has held up the best against wear and tear. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 4 years now, and when I was in my band, I played everything from "Converge" to newer "Underoath", it played and sounded better than my Epiphone SG and Fender Standard Tele. It gave a much more refined distortion, and a clean that mixed a lot better with my band than my other guitars. Today, I play a lot lighter music. My sound is more like "The Mars Volta", "Isis" and "Radiohead", and let me tell you, the Ibanez is still my main guitar. If it were stolen and I had the money, I would buy it again. The only problem, and I mean, only problem, that I've had with the guitar is the volume, tone and selector Switch position. I find when it comes to sweep picking, the selector Switch and volume knob, especially, tends to get in the way of the full down stroke. However, for the price, you will not find a better guitar. Period. // 8

RG350MDX Reviewed by: ClaimYourVictim, on april 18, 2007

Features: I'm pretty sure this guitar was issued for sale around November-December of 2006 and it's fairly new. It has 24 jumbo frets. They're awesome for leads and feel great for chords. The body is black, and it has a black pickguard with all black hardware and a nice, brightly colored maple neck with black shark-tooth inlays. The neck is incredible. It's super fast and flat which is great because I can run through modes and scales effortlessly. The fretboard is flat and actually pretty wide, which is good because my fingers are small and when I run through scales, it works out my hand and feels good. I think the body is made of basswood, it's fairly heavy which is probably why it has such a good sound. The bridge is an Edge III double-locking tremolo, it locks at the nut and bridge like any typical tremolo bridge. There is 1 tone knob and 1 volume knob and a 5-way pickup selector. The pickups are IBZ INF's (Ibanez Infinity). I was originally planning to change the pickups to a more powerful setup, but I was actually surprised by the sound of them. They're nice and hot, and perfect for the guitar. The guitar came with a manual and all the allen keys you need, plus it came with and extra spring. // 9

Sound: I play everything from progressive and technical metal, to jazz. This guitar, like all Ibanezes, is extremely versatile with all types of music. I love the neck pickup for a nice bluesy and jazzy sound for leads, and the bridge pickup is nice for heavy and aggressive music. I use this guitar with the Ibanez ToneBlaster 100-watt half-stack. And even though people tend to trash this amp, it sounds great with the RG. This guitar is great for all-around types of music, and it can be used for anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This was my first guitar with a tremolo bridge, so I was pretty new to the concept, and I didn't know that when you change strings you're supposed to change them one at a time because if you take them off all at once, you release tension on the bridge and it sinks down. Well that happened to me so I decided to learn how to adjust action, bridge angle, and neck bow. I figured out how to adjust all of these things with the manual that came with the guitar, and whenever there's a problem I don't have to take it to a shop and pay. I originally got it set-up at the local shop, and the guy said the way it was set-up at the shop was atrocious. The action was too high and the first five frets buzzed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable. You have to wipe off the bridge when you play bvecause the corrosive chemicals in your sweat will tarnish the finish on the hardware of the bridge.(It says so in the manual, and it's true) They were originally black, but now it looks sort of dark greenish but it's not noticable. Be careful and wipe it down after you play. The finish is durable but don't use a cotton cloth or rag because it will easily scratch the finish. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 4 years, and I own all Ibanez gear, a fact I am proud of. If it was stolen, I would immediately buy this guitar again because I love everything about it, everything is perfect for my preferences and my style of playing. My favorite feature is the look and the bridge. The bridge is reliable and durable. // 9

RG350MDX Reviewed by: ibanezjimjim666, on march 07, 2008

Features: Ok so my first post is a review pretty ballsy for a noob? Silliness aside. I have been playing guitar for 17 years, bass for 16, drums whenever I can! I have played just about any guitar I could get my grubby paws on: Jackson, Fender, Ibanez, Series10, Cort, Warmoth, Carvin, Karera, if I keep going this post would end up in New Jersey so I'll just get to the good part now. The budget minded beastie known as the RG350MDX is a mid-grade practice/stage guitar built in Indonesia in 2007. The build quality for this series is surprisingly better than the RGDX series from the early '00s in the $300 price range. My 350s neck is 3 piece quartersewn maple plus a non-glossy maple fretboard with black sharktooth inlay. The Wizard II neck is slim and skinnier than the average RG neck of this price range. The back of the neck is slightly flatter as well, just slightly. Not quite as nice as the RG550 maple fretboard Wizard neck from the early '90s but is pretty darn sweet none-the-less. The heel is rounded nicely for easier higher fret access. The guitar neck is very comfortable with a slightly closer string spacing than on a Jackson. The frets are of equal quality to the higher-end Korean models. They don't get those rake marks from bending the lower-gauge strings just once like on some of the other guitars that are in this price range. The body is basswood and weighs more than a 1984 USA BC Rich Warlock! It has an H/S/H configuration with INF3 neck, INFS3 middle, INF4 bridge pickups. Ibanez has upgraded the RG350DX series bridge with an Edge III double locking tremolo. She is white with a pearloid white pickguard, matching headstock and black hardware. // 8

Sound: I have benn a metal player from the start. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Pantera were my teachers. Since starting in 1990 I have braodened the spectrum of music styles from funk, fingerstyle, classical, and oldies to name a few. I feel that the minute you know everything about guitar does not exist, because there is always something new to learn! The sound is bright but not too tinny. The neck pickup with the middle pickup produces a softer "whine" than that of a Strat when playing bluesy-like with slight overdrive and reverb. Think SRV sound without the TubeScreamer, not angelic sounding like a USA Strat but for under $400.00 the sound quality gets the job done and does it well. I have played mr 350 through a Peavey Blazer 158 practice amp as well as a Crate PowerBlock150 guitar head, MXR DD-11 Dimebag distortion pedal through a Peavey 4X12 slant cabinet. I'm not big on effects but I do love a good screaming distortion for my sound. I used to be a QA tech for Hoshino and have played thousands of Ibanez guitars and found that the Infinity series just at OK. They were usually in S type guitars and I thought they sounded weak but with them on a dense basswood RG body the tone is significantly better sounding than I have come to expect. With the distortion on I can get tap and pinch harmonics, Zakk style squeals with the bridge pickup easily with a and clean sounding sweep arpeggios with the 5 way Switch at the 2nd position (neck pickup southern coil and middle pickup on). Clean this guitar sounds like a Fender on steroids, you know, not so nasally. However nothing beats a SRV tone for searing soulful lead sounds! If you have a decent guitar FX processor like a PODX3 or an ME50, you will have no problem getting that sound with this guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was satisfactory for a beginner but for a seasoned player of 17 years, I had to tweak the truss rod a tiny bit to get the action just right to 1.7mm at the 14th fret with the high-E and 2.2mm with the low-E. The neck is about 97% dead straight with a slight bowing near the 5th fret that is very common with many guitars of midgrade quality. The pickups also needed minor height adjustments but pickup height preferences are purely individual to the player. The frets are of a higher quality than previous Indonesian offerings from a few years back. I have done bends with my low-E vigorously without scratching the hell out of the RGs frets. If you have an Indonesian Ibanez from the late '90s and early '00s of have a Chinese made guitar you know what I am talking about. You know, when the frets turn green after a few months! I don't have to worry about that with this guitar. The white is snowblindingly bright but we all know in 5 years or so the polyeurythane clear-coat wil yellow a bit but then again what white guitar stays white after years of love? I also had to tighten all the bridge saddle securement bolts but IMO evert guitar player should know how to maintain and make adjustments so this did not bother me one bit. It just allowed me to get to know my new friend just a little bit better. There were no issues with the tuning pegs or the locking nut. I also like the fact that the Ibanez logo on the headstock is silver foil like on the Japanese models. // 8

Reliability & Durability: After well over two weeks of almost non-stop twiddling, twanging, tapping, sweeping, bending, unisyn bending, legato runs, whammy divebombs, horse whinneys and whatever else I did and this monster stayed in tune save for very minor fine-tuning adjustments every now and then to the high-E and G. The pitch difference was only within a 5% pitch difference on the E and as we all know the G string never stays in tune on any guitar! If it did the universe as we know might collapse! The bridge lays level to the body and when properly setup will hold tune for a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: The RG350MDX is a decent offering from Ibanez in this price range which has been a pleasent surprise for me. For heavy metal this guitar lives and in the right hands it can hold it's own with the big boys if need be. For the past few years I have been wanting a white RG350, but with better pickups than the PowerSound pickups equipped with the previous years models. And with a maple fretboard, too. The black sharktooth inlays are the icing on this heavy metal cake! The neck is very fast, and the sound is warmer than I expected. This guitar delivers lots of bang for not-so lots of bucks. My list of pros? The pearloid pickguard is beautiful. The Edge III bridge keeps her in tune just fine for those vigorous Dimebag divebombs. Matching headstocks just look better! The pickups sound good and sustain comes easy with this guitar. Asthaetically this guitar is one of the prettiest RGs I have ever seen IMO. Would be prettier with a reverse headstock. The RG350MDX just what my doctor ordered. Once in a blue moon the high-E gets caught on the neck pickup or the 24th fret but that means to me that I need to lighten up my hold on the string when I bend. Did I mention it's not available with a reverse headstock? Oh wait, there IS an RGR350 available in Japan with a reverse headstock but I Live in the US. I want to see this model with transparent green or transparent purple sunburst finishes over a figured maple top. and matching reverse headstock! Over all I give the RG350MDX 3 and a half out of 4 picks. I just saw the black MDX online so I guess I'll have to have one of those by the end of the summer. // 8

RG350MDX Reviewed by: gabe-padilla, on february 03, 2009

Purchased from: local store

Features: its a 2007 made in korea it has 24 jumbo frets I'm pretty sure it's a laminated top the body is a bass wood not so great neck is a 3 piece maple neck. it's a gloss blk whick is a good finish it's a super Strat (Ibanez freaks don't be mad it is a super Strat just transformed okay I don't like calling it a Strat but take that up with Ibanez) it's got a edge 3 tremolo all passive vol. tone HSH stock tuners with a locking nut. // 9

Sound: the sound isnt the greatest but I only paid 100 bucks so no big woop. the pick ups just wernt what I was looking for so I bought a new pick guard and and put a EMG 60 in the neck and a EMG 81 in the bridge whick sounds awesome I replaed it with the bladed 3 way so it still looks amazing when I first had it it wasn't bad thought for a intermediate guitar. I would definetly gig with all the upgrades I did to it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: the action was okay when I got it but I lowered it a little with my 11-49 strings. I've used the tremolo so much and I probly pushed a little to hard so it broke and I had to replace it with a Floyd Rose orignal but that's okay. while I was doing that I went all out and I bought it in gold and replaced all the hard ware with gold hardware it looks real good after replacing it I definetly noticed a increase in how low I got the action to go but I guess if you don't try to thrash the shizz out of this it should last pretty well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this could hold up to any gig as long as your not using the trem alot. the hard ware lasts a while everything but the tremolo and the nut are awesome as soon as I bought it I put new strap locks on it so I don't know how good the stock ones are. I woulnt go to a gig without a back up but not many guitars you can do that with anyways. so def not a lone gigger guitar the finish will last playing but just don't drop it or let it fall over. or it will chip. // 7

Overall Impression: I work at a music store so I bought it from factory that's why I got it so cheap I don't know if I would have bought it for full price though. but it's def a guitar worth buying if you have some spare cash or you want to get something to upgrade. it's def got some good tones to it even with the bass wood body. the single coil is nice but the hums have some great features to it. over all I would say get it if it's a upgrade from what you have but if you have better don't bother. // 9

RG350MDX Reviewed by: slipknotrox, on january 14, 2009

Features: This guitar is simply amazing. It has a fast 24 fret Wizard II neck, and Edge III tremolo, locking tuners, and plays beautifully. The body's made of basswood and the finish is blacknight.(it's sorta like a black piano laquer)It has three decent pickups, the INF4(bridge) the INFS3, (single coil, middle) and the INF3.(neck) Most people say that these pickups suck, well they kinda do until you make one very important modification. All you have to do is take a screwdriver and raise then up until they are about a 16th of an inch from the strings. After this they sound pretty decent. I rates the features a 9 because you have to do some work. // 9

Sound: This guitar has a very full metal-ish sound. Everytime you play a powerchord, the room shakes.(you have to add a little distortion, may I recommend the Boss metal zone? ) The neck is very good for soloing and when you solo, it sounds so perfect you don't wanna stop. Here's another thing that people say that sucks, the Egde III tremolo. IT DOES NOT SUCK! You can divebomb and do crazy whammy bar tricks. The only thing that I don't like is that the body isn't routed that deep so you can only whammy up like 2 steps. Other than that this guitar's sound rocks! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up great. It has a five switch pickup selector and the controls were extremely sturdy. The onyy flaw is that, like I said before, you have to raise the pickups to make them sound good. Other than that this guitar was set up perfectly and looked better in person than in the catalog. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I am just starting a band and this guitar will be part of my Live rig. It stays in tune perfectly and is made very durable. It's very reliable and it looks awesome on stage. If I decide to make an album this will be the one and only guitar that I will use. // 10

Overall Impression: I play death metal(not the crappy kind, I play the kind that makes you wanna scream) and this guitar delivers the looks, tone, and personality that I need. I love this guitar with my life and if somehow I lose this guitar I will buy 2 more just in case I lose it again.[at the price for this axe it's not a big dent in ur wallet; )] Congrats for Ibanez for making another great axe that fits every metalhead's needs. // 10

RG350MDX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians' Friend

Features: Made in 2008 in Indonesia, this 24 fret Basswood body Ibanez RG350MDX is versatile and good-looking. It's got a solid black flat-top finish with a white-accented black pickguard and black sharktooth inlays on the maple fretboard. It's got an Ibanez Edge III tremolo system with a locking nut; tuning stability is great on this thing. Passive Ibanez electronics are loaded on. It's got a humbucker in the neck, a single coil in the middle, and a humbucker in the bridge. These pickups are controlled and blended with a volume knob, a tone knob, and a 5-way Switch, yielding a tremendous array of possible tones. // 10

Sound: I play mostly classic and hard rock, but I'm a tremendous fan of heavy metal as well. With the neck humbucker split and combined with the middle single coil, I can get a great Strat tone out of this guitar. Meanwhile, the bridge humbucker is thick and chunky, perfect for 80's rock and heavy metal. The neck pickup has some tremendous jazz-like cleans, but has weak output and not-so-great harmonics. I use this guitar through a Crate RFX120 for the most part, and occasionally through my bandmate's Laney. My effects chain has a Crybaby and a phase shifter in it right now. The guitar is not noisy at all, very good, clean output. Once I put new pickups in this guitar, it should be a 10. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in with a broken A-string and a dead spot on the 15th fret on the high E. The action was extremely low, so I raised it about.3 mm after changing the A-string. The guitar now has near-perfect action and plays like butter. The pickups were adjusted alright, but I ended up lowering the single coil so that I could pick more easily. Overall, this guitar was set up kind of poorly at the factory, but an hour of work changed this. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels very durable and well put together. I have No Doubt that it will withstand as many Live shows as I can throw at it. The hardware seems very high-quality, and the strap buttons are pretty solid. I know I can depend on this guitar, but I never gig without a backup. The finish on this guitar also seems very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from classic rock to metal, and the variety of tones from this guitar allows me to play those, and much more. Within my limited 2 years experience, I have never seen a better guitar for the price. This guitar easily competes with guitars that go for double its price. If my Ibanez RG350MDX was stolen or lost, I would definitely consider buying another one; but after seeing how great this 400 dollar Ibanez is, I want to try out a 1000 dollar Ibanez. I have owned this guitar for 3 months, and I do not have a single regret about buying it. // 9

RG350MDX Reviewed by: MicahChaney, on april 29, 2009

Features: Well, if you're reading this review don't you already have an idea of what this guitar has on it? [tab] * Wizard II neck * Basswood Body * 24 jumbo frets * Maple fingerboard * Edge III bridge * IBZ INF3 humbucker neck PU * IBZ INFS3 single coil mid PU * IBZ INF4 humbucker bridge * Black sharktooth inlay[/tab] I got this guitar because I have a strange thing for maple fretboards, and this one doesn't fail me. In some guitars with maple boards, the maple on it can be grainy and nasty; mine was fantastic. It looks cool and feels even better underneath your fingers. Another thing... The Edge III. All I've heard about this trem is terrible; almost like this trem had been spawned from the mind of some sadistic mass murderer; so I figured that as soon as I got this guitar I'd have to go right out and buy a Floyd to drop in there. When I got it out of the box, I sat there and messed with that trem system for hours. 3 and a half or so. Honestly, I didn't even have to use the fine tuners. I don't know why this tremolo system gets so much flak. Granted, I might have just gotten lucky, but this system has worked just fine for me and the only time I had to mess with it was when I changed the gauge strings and dropped the tuning down to CDCFAD. // 9

Sound: The sound on it is very nice for having stock pickups. Yeah, like everyone else I will change the pickups to something more suited to my style, but these pickups are very good for what I paid for this guitar. The bridge is nice and crunchy with the right settings and the neck is great for sweeping, tapping, and speed picking. I gave this part an 8 simply because they don't have the "chugga chugga" sound, and tone is subjective anyway. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Normally I don't trust guitar center. I've heard really bad things about how my friends bought guitars from them and they were set-up horribly or wires weren't soldered right. When I got mine out of the box the action was nice and low, the trem was actually in tune, the fretwire was very nice (no cut fingers, and the wonderful maple fretboard was in perfect condition. The pickups selector is quiet and the knobs worked fine. I was quite surprised that I got it in such condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I really do think this guitar could stand Live playing, but seriously: Who would gig without a backup anyway? The hardware would last; or at least I think it would. Now, the strap buttons are a bit untrustworthy in my opinion. Maybe that's because I distrust all stock buttons after they came out of my guitar during a gig, but whatever the case: Protect your guitar by buying strap locks! Even if you don't play standing up it would be a good investment. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and hardcore and sometimes I sit there and shred. Stuff like CoB, As I Lay Dying, Lamb Of God, and other bands in that area of music. If this guitar were stolen, as much as I like it, I would probably get another guitar. I LOVE the maple fretboard and just the general feel of this guitar, but the one guitar that was competing with this one was a Schecter Hellraiser. Looking back I would've gotten it, and deciding between the two was a very very hard choice. One thing that I don't like about it is you can only pull up one step (I think. Not positive) But, all in all, this is a wonderfully built guitar with great features. // 9

RG350MDX Reviewed by: AlHull410, on january 25, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Glen Burnie, MD

Features: This guitar has 24 jumbo-frets with black Shark tooth inlays on a Wizard ii maple neck. Basswood body with black hardware, finish and pick guard (pick guard has a white outline.) An Infinity 4 Bridge humbucking pick-up which is warm sounding and good harmonics. An Infinity 3 single coil middle pick up, high output. And an Infinity 3 humbucking neck pickup, good for chords and rhythm. There is a locking nut on the neck and an Edge 3 Tremolo which is similar to the original Edge tremolo but with lower profile fine tuners and new saddles. A lot of people talk about how the Edge 3 isn't good for dropped tunings, I have not had a problem with this yet, I play in Dropped C and the only problem I've had is that the bridge is dropped into the body a little, but that can be easily fixed with setting it up better. The Edge 3 features two screws in the arm pocket, which allow easy adjustment of the arm height and torque. // 9

Sound: This guitar is very versatile. I play metal (all kinds) and love to cover older songs by Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and even some bluesy stuff and this guitar handles it all well. I play it through an Ibanez Toneblaster Xtreme and it sound great (as great as you're going to get from a solid-state head, anyways) and sometime I use a Zoom 505ii pedal, mainly for an echo/delay effect (to play "We Bow in it's Aura" by Veil of Maya") There is a little feedback but that is easily resolved when I turn the gain down some. The neck position is perfect for solos and lead and arpeggios. The bridge position sounds good for pretty much everything. The middle position has really high output. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar when I bought it was almost perfect for me. Of coarse, when I dropped to C, it changed a little but once it was set up right, it was perfect. It didn't have a Tremolo arm, which I'm still waiting for Guitar Center to order for me. The bridge is still a little too sunken into the body, which is an easy fix. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Any guitar is going to get wear and tear. It all depends on how it's taken care off. So far, it has been reliable. Stays in tune. When I'm not playing, I keep it in my hardshell case so it doesn't collect dust. I think I could play a show without a backup, but I would take one anyways just to be safe. The finish seems like it can last awhile. I've hit the headstock off of things a few times and don't have any chips. // 9

Overall Impression: For me, This guitar was the one I had been waiting for. I play metal, and not only does this thing sound aggressive but it looks aggressive. And it can play other styles, too. I've been playing for about 7 years now and this is my first high quality guitar and I am impressed. Since I've had this guitar, my playing abilities have gotten better tenfold. I would definitely buy it again if something happened to it. I love the maple neck. Its super fast and comfortable, playing is a breeze on it. I don't really like thickness of the body (I used to play my friends S470 a lot) but I've gotten used to it. My favorite feature is the locking nut. I love that it stays in tune throughout anything. I had been wanting this guitar for about a year when I played one at a local music store and my jaw dropped when I saw it use for $200 with virtually nothing wrong with it. I was stuck between this of an Ibanez RG 7-string. But I needed a better 6-string. // 10

RG350MDX Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2010

Purchased from: Samash.com

Features: It was made, I'd say around 07' to 08'. Made in Japan, 24 frets, really thin neck, full maple neck with black sharkfin inlays, and REALLY fast neck. Solid white. It's got IBZ Infinites pickups in, H-S-H setup. It's really light for an electric. Tuners aren't that great but that's what locking nuts are for, stock Ibanez tuners. Has a Edge III bridge and it'll keep in tune forever. Tone knob and volume with 5 Switch selector. // 10

Sound: It suits me perfect because I play metal and the neck is perfectly thin for me. I use a Rocktron 2x8 amp and a Marshall 10 watt. I have a Boss Metalzone that I plug it into. I get compliments on my tone and sound, so I'm pretty proud. Pickups are great, but I cant' really get the Dimesqueals that I want. Great output though, I get great harmonics. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The feel on the neck is wonderful. Smooth and slick. Pickups were fine the way they came. I don't usually use D'Addarios and it was strung with them. When I recieved it, everything was perfect, no scratched no nothing, just pure beauty. Its got a beautiful white finish and a full maple neck. The Shark inlays are black. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this guitar for anything, playing live, recording, and such and such. I plan to replace the tuners soon because they don't lock very well. I installed Dunlop Straploks and them and I never have to worry about the strap slipping. The originals weren't great, but adequate. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and I'm trying to expand my playing. This guitar is perfect. I could play bluegrass on it if I wanted to. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would buy a better, more expensive one. If you know a guitar this great at this price, what's the more expensive one going to be like? I'd say better, I'd maybe get a RG Prestige. I love its weight because heavy guitars hurt my neck shoulders and this being very light, it saves me the strain of having to carry it. I thought about getting a Jackson Rhoads V, but I chose this instead. Although I chose the Ibanez, Randy Rhoads will always be my favorite guitarist of all time. I wish I had a halfstack. A Marshal or a Krank would suit just fine. I'd like a delay pedal, an echo pedal, a Crybaby Wah, Boss Super Shifter and an Ibanez TubeScreamer. I'd like a new pickup set for my Ibanez, EMG 81 in the bridge, SA in the single and a 60 in the neck position. // 9

RG350MDX Reviewed by: NathanRobbins, on december 06, 2010

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend

Features: At first glance of this lovely black beast, you will notice a lot of great features for a guitar under the $500 price range. It has 24 frets, a pretty low cutout, and a nicely rounded neck joint making hitting those high frets a breeze. 3pc maple/walnut neck with a !MAPLE! fretboard (quite rare for lower model rg's). Even with the basswood body this thing is still pretty darn heavy. Edge III bridge (I know I know... But eh, what else can you expect). Infinity series pickups. Volume&Tone knobs with 5-way selector that proves itself to be quite versatile. Locks up top as you would expect. Pretty decent stock tuners. Comes with that POS cord that Ibanez always throws in, all necessary wrenches, extra trem spring, and manual. // 8

Sound: I listen to artists such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Steve Vai and this guitar is a pretty okay fit with my style of playing. THE PICKUPS: If you just want to thrash out some metal with your garage band, these puppies will hold up just fine. However, if you're going for that HUGE sound like the bands listed you will have to replace the pickups or this guitar is not for you. The stock Infinity Series aren't bad pickups, but they will leave you wanting in some areas. Bridge position is all business. Harmonics are easy and arpeggios are crystal clear... Almost too crystal clear. This pickup as I have found is on the weak side. Quite thin and trebley lacking very much so in the mid and low region. Cleans are all treble and almost tinny. The second pickup position splits the bridge pup with your middle single coil which has A LOT of advantages. All of those mids and lows you were begging for are suddenly there, but your harmonics and arpeggios are just as easy and clear. The highs are more showcased here rather than exaggerated. Cleans are beautiful. The single coil in the middle, unfortunately, is bad any way you slice it. Clean, it's nothing but mids and lows unless you do some serious work with the tone knob. Add a little bit of overdrive and you've got a decently nice fat bottom end bluesy sound (which for my style of playing is something I never do). Going to this setting while using your normal metal distortion is the worst idea you could ever have and should be deemed a sin against all of human kind. Unless you like screeching feedback and pickup hum keep movin' that Switch right along. The neck/single coil pickup position is by far my favorite on the guitar. Searing trebley highs are not my thing (hence the listening to John Petrucci). This position is the closest thing you'll get to those smooth beautiful leads with great articulation of notes even when playing at phenomenal speeds. Harmonics are not gonna be there for you when you call though... The neck position still gives you those smooth leads but when playing lower riffs it gets very muddy as you would expect it to. THE NECK: I own an RG that has the rosewood fretboard and I must say that the maple makes a huge difference in brightness. Not overbearing, but great. All of this being said. Replace the pickups (if you want anything better than "good" or "just okay") with a set from DiMarzio that suit your playing style. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: First off, when i received the guitar I immediately put it through my own inspection. The set-up was as expected, very low as most Ibanez fans would prefer. Even though I like a med. High action there's just one thing I cannot stand and that's fret buzz... There was A LOT. Easily fixed though. I just used the included wrenches to raise the action. Quick fix. Pickup height was really good which is pretty rare for factory setups. Saddles and frets were all good No burrs. No chips on hardware or body finish. Tip: Go ahead and tighten the nut on the input jack a lot just as soon as you get it. THE CURSE ON HUMANITY THAT IS THE EDGE III: At first this bridge wasn't much of a problem for me. I'd owned one before and it was decent. Didn't use it much so it never gave me problems. But as my style shifted towards using it more often (I figure if it's there you'd better do something to incorporate it) I started having more and bigger issues. I never had anything so drastic as breaking it out of the body, but it has been a nuisance nonetheless and that's putting it nicely.... very nicely. It started out as having to retune it after every playing session (not bad for a floating trem) but slowly grew to it going out after mild playing. It has gotten to where it will go out of tune after even the most modest use of the tremolo. I can bump it in either direction and I have to bump it back to ensure it returns to the "zero point". I was getting frustrated and my attempts at helping the situation were apparently not working so I took it to my localish guitar repair store to get it setup correctly. Much to my dismay i was charged extra when the tuning peg broke during setup by the quite rude guitar techs that work there. The setup was low again so I raised it back up a bit when I got home. It helped for... About a week. The trem now does the same thing and is so bad I have to keep from using it when playing live and recording unless I have time to retune it every five seconds. I use elixir 9's so tension should not be a problem under normal circumstances. Changing strings is the worst experience I've ever had with these bridges. Literally an hour and a half long process of changing one string at a time. Tuning and retuning and retuning and retuning and retuning etc. you get the picture. It makes you want to kill yourself. I've played on Prestiges with the edge pro for extended periods of time (a friend of mine owns one) and I've had no such problems. This bridge just seems to be of very poor design. I've heard nothing but negative feedback about it. But with a guitar in this price range, compromises are to be expected. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Live playing with this thing is a hassle. Sure it sounds great, but you can have the best tone in the world and if you're out of tune you sound like s%@& and everyone will know it. If you've read the other reviews then you will know the finish on the hardware is thin and wears off rather quickly (not a big problem for me) The strap buttons are as solid as can be. I've broken 2 straps with this thing (probably because it's heavy as crap) and the pegs are still just as there as they ever were. As anyone will tell you NEVER EVER EVER gig a guitar with a floating trem without a backup. I've had my own share of bad experiences. Break a string and your show is over right then and there. The finish is as durable as anything I have seen. So far no scratches or dings. I probably baby it a bit much. I dropped my last one on asphalt with rather damaging results and an hour or two of sheer horror. What a scarring experience. // 7

Overall Impression: For the price "you can't beat it with a money stick." It's definitely a metal guitar. Outstanding value. I've played much worse in this price range. I really wish I had heeded the warnings of so many people screaming GOD NO THE EDGE III NO NO NO DONT! But I did anyway so until I scrounge up some more money it's one of the collection. Overall: Great guitar for the $$$ Replace the decent stock pickups, avoid the edge III with any purchase, hooray for maple necks and maple fretboards. If anyone stole this black behemoth I would probably murder them then move on and upgrade to something else with a "little somethin more" leaving room for burying a body in there somewhere. Next guitar purchase will be a Prestige. Hopefully they'll come out with some more RG's that have the ZPS3 in the meantime. // 9

RG350MDX Reviewed by: pluginbaby33, on january 27, 2011

Purchased from: Modern Music - Truro

Features: Starting from the bottom up - Double Locking Floyd-Rose Tremolo. Need I say more? This variation on the Standard tremolo means that it stays in tune no matter how hard you tremolo - especially good for lead guitarists. Even if you don't lead or don't even tremolo it is a very handy gadget for keeping your guitar in perfect tune for days. Pick-ups - 2x INF3, 1xINFS3, 2xINF4. Not my favourite pick-ups of all time, would love to see some decent humbuckers, so you might wanna modify/change them a little bit. Aside from that, not major problems to report. The neck - a 3 piece Wizard II 24 jumbo fret Maple wood with sharktooth inlay. I've gotta admit, the inlays look awesome, and the speed of the fingerboard isn't bad either. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Rockburn G-10 amp, a pretty simple practise amp, but it does its job well. This guitar is, quite simply, awesome. It covers, in my opinion, ever possible genre of music. On Overdrive the available tones sounds pretty much the same, but who cares? This beaut on overdrive is incredible. Even when it isn't on overdrive, the different tones sounds great. Muted or not, all of them sound pretty good. Many say that this is a metal guitar, but I've used this for pop punk, alternative, alonside acoustics and even pianos - this is definetly and all-round guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Finished in shiny jet black, this guitar looks amazing. The maple neck however I find doesn't suit it, I would rather see a rosewood neck, but thats on a different model. The one I got came straight from a shop, and the screws that hold the pick-guard in place were rusting, and some of the actual pick-ups had oxidised a little, but I think this is because it was on sale for quite a while, and the guitar not properly taken care of (it was second-hand after all). // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable. It holds it tune superbly, so there is no need to keep on tuning it. The hardware I think will last a hell of a long time, once you've bought this I don't think you'll be needing a different guitar because of it breaking. Perfect on this part. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall though, it has its minor problems, but it is pretty dam good as a guitar for the experienced player, and an incredible machine for the viewer to see and hear. Well worth buying, well worth its full price, though I think different pick-ups good make it better! // 9

RG350MDX Reviewed by: Randomist, on february 18, 2011

Purchased from: guitar.co.uk

Features: Either Korean or Indonesian build 25.5" scale neck, 24 fret maple fingerboard with black sharktooth inlays. The neck is slim but feels a little wider than it could be. Basswood body... I'll get to that... and maple neck and fingerboard. gloss black finish with black PG and matching headstock. Edge III double locking trem, again, more later. Passive Ibanez own pickups in HSH configuration, with tone, volume and 5-way switch. Tuners are black non-locking Ibanez units, but the nut locks anyway. Comes with a few allen keys and a pretty useless little booklet. // 7

Sound: The pickups do the guitar no real favours, they're not bad for the price range, but be aware that its the norm for poor own name pickups to be fitted to a lot of Ibanez guitars. The basswood is ok for mid to high gain, again the pickups aren't helping much, but clean there is zero charecter to the guitar. The trem adds possibilities for playing around with divebombs and at really high gain (modern metal) you notice the lack of character less. For bluesy stuff it wasn't spectacular but seems to improve a little with gain. I've tried it through a line6 spider III... that didn't go too well, nice effects to play with but tinkering time needed that I didn't have. An OLD Marshall MG, which isn't actually all that bad although better options are available. Some studio/practice venue amp I can't remember the name of and a big Hiwatt stack that sounded great. But then, you're unlikely to spend 300 on a guitar and have that to play it on, and this guitar AB'd with others was found lacking (Dinky with similar setup among them). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was ok, beaten by my older, cheaper Yamaha IMO. Action was in the ballpark but I adjusted it a little, routes are tidy enough with no chips and everything fits. The inlays on the neck aren't perfect, one is bent others are not aligned parallel with frets. Frets are reasonably finished with no sharp edges. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have several freinds with similar 350's that have used them live. I personally wouldn't. The durability is questionable in these lower end Ibanez models. The bridge: about a month after getting the guitar one of the string clamps in the Bridge sheared. I wasn't overtightening them (actually i had problems with the strings pulling out as I brought them up to tension). Machined a small peice of decent steel to replace the clamp and all has been ok with the Bridge since. Having said that, it hasn't had much use. The basswood: Its ok in my Ibanez bass, but trem springs were a step too far for it. The threads in the body stripped pretty quickly (8 months ish from guitar purchase). The trem posts also seem to be slowly ovalising (although not enough to be a problem yet). The finish is a little easy to chip on the headstock, though this seems to be common accross Ibanez guitars with painted headstocks. Body finish seems ok, no obvious damage yet, and should be fine if my Ibanez bass is anything to go by. My natural Yamah is covered in buckle rash and studded belt wounds, so I'm not an easy test for the clearcoat. // 3

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of stuff, rock mainly but with ventures into metal, punk, blues and even drum and bass (yes that can use guitars...). The 350MDX has the potential to be versatile, but expect to spend some cash. The clean and low gain tones need some bettwer pickups and a more sympathetic wood to improve them. The Edge 3 could REALLY do with an upgrade (OFR and the EDGE PRO are direct replacements [check Jemsite]). My biggest concern is just how soft the basswood is. I'm dreading having to re-body the guitar not far down the line. In over a decade I've never regretted not saving for longer more. I didn't get chance to AB this with the Jackson's or ESPs I was also considering, but I think I might have spent my money better with them, even at the higher price. If it were stolen now and I could get the money back through insurance I'd have a long hard look around, and probably avoid anything below a prestige in the Ibanez line. A mahogany S might be a solution. // 5

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014