RG350MZ Review

7.9
 6.8
reviews (2) pictures (5) 18 comments vote for this gear:
RG350MZ Reviewed by: Ali-n, on august 09, 2011

Features: The RG350MZ is a superstrat shaped guitar with a black pickguard, Basswood body and a 3-piece wizard III maple neck. It has 24 jumbo frets and an Edge Zero II tremolo bridge. Some of it's other features include: - 1 volume and 1 tone knob - Ibanez INF3 humbucking neck pickup - Ibanez INFS single-coil mid pickup - Ibanez INF2 humbucker Bridge pickup - 5-Way pickup selector - Cosmo Black hardware I bought mine from a music store in Tehran-Iran. It's made in Indonesia in 2011 and it's color is black. // 9

Sound: I mainly play rock and metal and this guitar is perfect for the job. My equipment include a Roland Cube 20X and a Zoom G1M multi-effect and this guitar works very well with my amp. No unwanted noise. The infinity pickups are great stock pickups but some people may not like the clean sound they make. If you are one of those people, you can easily replace them with DiMarzio Pickups or any other pickup you want because every other part of this guitar is perfect. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was set-up fine.the action was low and the humbucker pickups were adjusted well. The only thing that needed a little adjustment was the single coil pickup. The Bridge was routed properly. The only problem with my guitar was that it's frets had some rough edges and that's all. A very solid guitar. Great tremolo Bridge and a very nice unfinished maple neck. Realy good for shredders. Before I bought this guitar I had never played a guitar with a maple fingerboard so I played both the RG350MZ and the RG350EXZ which had a rosewood fingerboard and I chose the maple fingerboard because bending and tapping was easier with the maple fingerboard and I'm very happy with my decision. The Bridge is also great for the price and until you don't push the whammy bar too much it will not go out of tune. The ZPS system used in the Edge Zero II tremolo Bridge is not just a fancy name. It really works. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar can withstand live playing but if you want to do a lot of serious dive bombs and abuse the whammy bar too much it will go out of tune a bit. The 2 knobs and the strap buttons look really solid and the glossy black finish looks beautiful. I don't think the finish will easily wear off with lots of playing but since I've been playing with it for only 3 weeks it's too soon to comment on that. // 9

Overall Impression: For me this guitar is perfect. The neck and fingerboard is great and solid. The maple is brighter than any other maple neck I've seen thou. My first guitar was a Cort G110 and the RG350MZ is better in every way except the neck. The G110's neck was unbelievably sleek and thin but the RG350MZ's neck is really good. The Infinity pickups sound great to my ears, specially the distorted sounds. My favorite feature is the Bridge which is really great and the guitar hardly goes out of tune. I can't compare it to other guitar manufacturers like Jackson and ESP because almost every Jackson guitar you see in Iran is fake. The same goes for the ESP and Dean guitars and the only reliable guitar manufacturer is Ibanez but I think at this price range this guitar is one of the best. The same goes for the RG350EXZ, RG350DXZ and RG370DXZ which are almost the same with only little differences. // 10

RG350MZ Reviewed by: etaeniura, on march 15, 2012

Purchased from: sweetwater

Features: 2011, Indonesian made. 24 jumbo frets, 25.5" scale. Maple neck/FB, basswood body. Metallic green finish, with matching headstock and chrome logo. Super Strat body, Edge Zero II bridge with ZPS. Infinity 3, s3, 4 pickups. 5 wya switch, 1 vol, 1 tone. Has everything you need and nothing you don't. I give it a 10 because it is exactly what I wanted. Compared to something with 15 switches, 10 knobs, led lights and a synth pickup, it would score a little lower! // 10

Sound: I play mostly Rock and classic rock. The infinity pickups are pretty decent for this, although they are kind of generic sounding. I'm using an old Marshall solid state combo and a Fender deluxe 112. With the amp's onboard distortions, the sound leaves alot to be desired. When used with a decent distortion pedal (Boss DS-1 or Snarling Dogs Blue-Doo) it sounds much better. In general the pickups have alot of chug-chug, but lack a little in the meedley meedley department. I'll be changing them out to get a wider variety of tones. Colean tones are actually pretty good, especially in the 2 and 4 positions where the HB's are split and combined with the middle single. These give you a nice twangy sound if you like that sort of thing. The middle single by itself is, well, mediocre. Bottom line, the stock pickups are decent, but I would bet that Ibanez thinks most people will change them out anyway, so why bother putting in more expensive pickups and raising the overall price? I'll give it a 7-has a ton of potential, as the unplugged sound is very good. I'd rather spend 100 bucks on some new pickups, than pay 200 more out of the gate and still want to switch the pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Sweetwater does their own inspection and adjustments on many of their guitars, so I can't really say how the factory setup was. I can tell you that by the time it got to me, it was set up very well. I only lowered the action a hair, but that's just my preference. I also subsequently lowered the pickup heights, as they were darn close to touching the strings. I also lowered the middle single as it just happens to be right in the way of my picking. Everything else was top notch-no loose screws or wonky knobs. Fit and finish were excellent. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do not play live, except in my living room. SO I can't say whether it would withstand live playing. It seems to me to be built like a tank, and since I haven't tinkered with it yet (aka-screwed it up) I don't see why it wouldn't be a great live axe. Will the finish last? As well as any other guitar I would think. Overall, the craftsmanship on this is top notch. If I WERE to play a gig, I would always have a backup, as I own several guitars and would want to play all of them! I have owned several Ibanez products in the past and have always thought they were well built. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 20 years. Jamming with friends in college, breaking, fixing, and upgrading guitars the whole time. I will tell you this-I got to meet Steve Vai one time, and got to play EVO. This guitar plays just as well as Steve's main axe (his action is actually quite a bit higher, but he has crazy hands!) With some new pickups, there is no reason that this couldn't be a semi-pro or pro level instrument. The only thing I'm not sure about is the trem, but from what I have read, the Zero II is a solid unit. I'm not a whammy maniac anyway.If stolen, I'd get another. Maybe the yellow one this time just for kicks. What do I love? It's a freaking awesome guitar at a budget price. What do I hate? as hard as I might wish, the guitar itself does not provide what I lack in the skills department. Get one before they jack the price up like the did with the white version-it's $20 more than it was 2 months ago... // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014