RG3550MZ Review

8.1
reviews (2) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
RG3550MZ Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 14, 2011

Purchased from: Hong Seng & Son

Features: This Ibanez Prestige is made in 2009 at the Japanese Fujigen Factory by Team J Craft. Mine is in roadster metallic orange, it seems to attract the ladies really well though, as the colour is very striking. The neck is a five-piece has a 24 fret maple fretboard with ghost Shark inlays and jumbo frets. It is very thin, which I like very much. The Bridge is an Edge Zero, in my opinion looks pretty cool, although it is rather stiff. The guitar comes with DiMarzio pickups in a H/S/H configuration, with a Tone Zone in the Bridge, True Velvet in the middle position and an Air Norton in the neck. The pickups and in the zebra colour scheme, black and white. It is equipped with Non-locking Gotoh tuners, which works much better than generic tuners. The purchase included an Ibanez RG prestige hardcase, a set of Allan Keys, a cable, a strap, a set of new strings and some picks. // 9

Sound: This guitar is incredibly versatile, it really is. I play a lot of hard rock (mainly the old Guns N' Roses) and instrumental rock (Satriani) and this baby could dish them out really well. I play though a Laney Lv300 and boy could it scream. Harmonics are breezes compare to my old crappy Aria copy. The Neck pickup has a very nice full bassy sound at the low end, good for soloing and it is very clear when playing up high. The single coil makes some of the most beautiful cleans I've ever heard, crispy and a bit bright. The Tone Zone has a crunchy sound, best for rhythm work, and metal riffs. The 2 and 4 position replicates a Strat sound, perfect for blues. Though it could have a bit more sustain, the sound dies away a bit too quickly for me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: For the price, Ibanez has lived up to expectations. The Action is perfect for me, low, but not too low that using the tremolo is hampered. The intonation is spot on, no need for adjustment. Trem is routed flawlessly and pickup height are great. Pots are okay, they work as expect, not like some guitar that has no change in sound when you turn the tone pot from 0 - 3. Paint and top are in perfect condition, all in all, it had brilliant QC. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where some of the problems start. The hardware are pretty durable, it would probably last my whole lifetime and the guitar is like a tank. But the strap buttons are very badly inserted. The button on the top horn loosened up very quickly when playing while standing, I fixed this problem by inserting straplocks. The finish chips very easily as it is quite thin, although this means I have to be a bit more careful with it. I wouldn't use it in a gig without a backup though, since it is guitar with a licensed floyd, when the strings snap it's a nightmare to restring. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is one of the most versatile guitar I've ever played. Rock, funk, metal, blues, even pop are covered well. When I bought it, I played other branded guitars, like the Dean MAB1, Schecter C-1 and even a JEM7V. This one had the best neck, looks are on par, but it was the sound was the feature that had me sold, even the price was better compare to those guitars. I compare mine with a friend's Schecter damien Elite fr once, and this baby blows his one out of the water. The feel was far superior and the sound it makes are more lively and has more variety than his set of EMGs, which sounded pretty boring as they all sound the same. The only part I didn't like about this guitar was the price, they could have made it cheaper for folks like me, I saved up for 3 years for it. Also the trem could be a little less stiff, playing for 2 to 3 hours gives my picking hand a cramp. The only additional thing I wished it had was a piezo, but alas it would only cost more. But overall, this guitar is made for both playing and showing off, brilliant tones and body style with a colour scheme that simply screams for the ladies. // 8

RG3550MZ Reviewed by: krizzlybaer, on september 20, 2011

Features: Ibanez RG3550GK-Prestige-Serie Black with a (aluminum like) acrylic pick guard Basswood Body 5-piece super Wizard HP Maple/Walnut Prestige Neck with maple Fretboard 24 Jumbo Frets thin silver Shark Inlays (ber)- Edge Zero Tremolo ZPS 3 (Zero Point System) cosmo black Hardware H-S-H Passive Pickups: -DiMarzio Air Norton Humbucker Neck -DiMario True Valvet Singlecoil Middle -DiMarzio ToneZone Humbucker Bridge 1 Volumeknob, 1 Toneknob 25, 5" (648 mm) Prestigehardcase, and a nice prestige Multi Tool. The Edge Zero Tremolo with ZPS 3, its great read about it, try it! Its stiffer than a normal FR, great for being in-tune and playing a lot of these short vibratos, light dives. Good for Steve Vai style playing. made in Japan, I think May 2010 // 9

Sound: My style is most of 80' thrash / heavy metal and some new melodic death, it suits very good to these but if you want some hard rhythmic stuff take active pick ups... I use metalzone at 01:00 treb 05:00 bass 11:00 mids and midfreq at 1:30, and a shitty Hiwatt 100W. The distorted sound is nice for most of metal, I wouldn't play deathcore/djentish/american style metal:D with it. For soloing both pickups are perfect, no noise, very bright, the neckp sounds like a necks should,:S I hope you know what I mean, bassy and fluid. Middle Pickup and the 2nd/4rd positions (coilsplit+middlepickup): don't use it a lot, just for overdrive and cleans, sounds very good (not distorted), can't compare it with fenders single coil cleans but its good enough for a mostly-metal player // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know why but it was factory tuned more or less to Eb standard, but the FR bridge was balanced to that tuning. The action was very close to the fretboard - no fret buzz - superb. Pickups were a bit too low -> but no problem with the prestige tool // 9

Reliability & Durability: Hardware top it will withstand a lifetime. After restringing you have to tune it the first 3-4 days but after that it will never go out of tune except if you're a hyperactive monkey who does over 190 dpm (divebombs per min). You can play without a backup, but cmon who goes on a gig with just 1 guitar // 9

Overall Impression: I have this one, a Jackson dinky, and a Ibanez rg gio. If you also love thin necks, passive pickups, Floyd roses and 80's-like Guitars then try it. I wouldn't recommend it for low tunings (max. D standart). Its a great solo guitar. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014