RG370 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 12/13/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG370
Wizard II neck. Maple Neck Material. Basswood Body. 24/Jumbo frets. Rosewood Fingerboard. Chrome Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 7.1
reviews (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
RG370 Reviewed by: ndfcartman, on december 13, 2005

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: This guitar has 24 frets, a rosewood fingerboard, a Wizard II neck, an Edge Pro II tremolo bridge, pickups are H/S/H, I believe they are Powersound pickups, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, and a 5-way selector. // 10

Sound: I use my Ibanez GRX20, Behringer HB01 (wah pedal), Behringer X V-AMP (multi-effects), and my Behringer GM108 amp. The sound is alright for my musical styles, I play a wide range of rock, metal, and a little blues. I would like to change the pickups though, the sound is a missing a lil' "somethin' somethin'", but for the overall sound I give it an 8, because the pickups aren't noisy, and the knobs don't make that annoying scratching sound when they are adjusted. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was pretty well set up, the only problem I had was the bridge, it didn't stay in tune for long, but it just took a little breaking in, then it stayed in tune as locking bridges as these have a reputation for. And also, the neck is very fast. I haven't noticed any flaws on the guitar, and I've had it since the end of June, or beginning of July, roughly 6 months. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, just be sure to give it proper care/maintainance and I'm sure you'll enjoy this axe for many years to come. I can't say anything for the strap buttons, when I ordered this guitar I ordered DiMarzio ClipLocks and put them on both of my guitars. The finish on this guitar is a beauty, it hardly shows fingerprints, and I haven't found any scratches, people have commented me on how "pretty" the color (Moonshadow Grey) is. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I worked all summer to get guitar gear, but unfortunately I had to buy school clothes, so I used what I could to get another guitar, I came across this beast and decided it's what I wanted, and I must say I don't regret this purchase. If this was lost/stolen, I would save the money and buy another Ibanez, unfortunately they don't make the RG370 anymore, they now have the RG370DX, I think I would be happy with that model, since the only differences are the newer model bridge, and I think the pickups are upgraded, it has sharkfin inlays, and the colors are different. I compared it to numerous guitars in it's price range, but since I already owned an Ibanez and knew that their guitars are great for me, I picked this one. The only thing I wish it had was different pickups, even though the ones it comes with are decent. // 9

RG370 Reviewed by: sithian476, on december 05, 2003

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This particular model was made in Korea in 2003. It features: Wizard II neck Maple Neck Material Basswood Body 24/Jumbo frets Rosewood Finger Board Edge Pro II bridge PSND1 (H) Neck PU PSNDS (S) Mid PU PSND2 (H) Bridge PU Pearl Dot Inlay Chrome Hardware // 8

Sound: I enjoy playing mainly hard rock and this guitar is perfectly suited for that genre. In fact, that is it's main selling point... and why its so popular with rockers. It sounds excellent under distortion. I'm using a Zoom 606 Multi-Effect pedal, and every distortion 'patch' sounds excellent. Also, it can probably suit almost any other genre when its clean/under other effects. Certain pickups selected allow you to have a rich, bassy sound while others bring out the treble in the notes. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I checked it out at the Sam Ash store, it didn't look like it had been played with much so when I got it home, it's action was almost perfect. All I needed to do was to tighten to locking bridge so it would stay in tune. The tremelo plays nicely. All of the frets feel perfectly smooth, no dead notes, and pretty much everything else has gone right so far. The finish on the guitar is amazing. There wasn't one scratch, dent, scar, whatever... // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't do much live playing and haven't done any with this guitar, but just from the way it feels and plays, I wouldn't be worried at all going live without a backup. The worst that could go wrong is to change a tuning and having to unlock it. The strap buttons feel like they'll never come off, but you never know with so many guitars that do so. It's Moon Shadow color (the model that I have) is a sparkly silver. // 10

Overall Impression: Not much else to say besides this is probably one of the most excellent guitars I've played in the price range I've paid for. If you're looking to play some hard rock, go with an RG series from Ibanez... great value and excellent features. I'd buy another if something happened to this one. Only people that probably should look elsewhere are people who don't really need a tremelo and would absolutely hate having to untighten the locks to change tunings. // 10

RG370 Reviewed by: blixx, on october 12, 2004

Purchased from: -

Features: This guitar was made on 9th September 2003. It has a Wizard II neck with 24 jumbo frets. It has a maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with a pearl dot inlay and a basswood body which makes it high on treble. Standard Edge Pro II bridge and Ibanez pickups. It's completely black, black finish and black hardware. // 8

Sound: I play alot of rock, from AC/DC to Story Of The Year and this guitar sounds absolutely great. The pickups (PSND1, PSND2, PSNDS) are really powerful and capable of delivering rich and lively tones whether playing clean or with effects. I use a Zoom GFX-8 and Ibanez Tube Screamer for effects and I pretty much can get a very wide variety of different sounds. This guitar kicks quite abit of ass. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it, it was fresh out of the box. The action was perfect, the pickups we're perfectly aligned. The bridge needed no ajusting at all. The only thing was a slight blemish in the finish and a slight scrape on the tone control knob. Not really noticable if you don't look closely. It also came with d'Addario XL's from the factory. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played live with this guitar a few times and I must say it's really road worthy. The hardware feels moderate. The bridge feels slightly flimsy when I play with the whammy bar, like I might rip the brigde right off the guitar. The strap buttons look and feel really solid. They're screwed in tight and I don't think they'll be coming off anytime soon. There is abit of corrosion on the fine tuners as a result of sweat from resting my hand against the bridge. The guitar is really storng, I have dropped it numerous times and have had no problems at all aside from a small dent on the finish. I would say that I would use it at a gig without a backup because its really reliable. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is really worth your money. But I wouldn't say its one of the best out there. For the price, I think its a real good deal. Only down side is that it takes a monster to change the strings on this guitar. The bridge is more complicated than other floyd rose bridges. If it were stolen, I'd probably consider buying it again. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014