RG370DXL Review

8.5
review (1) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
RG370DXL Reviewed by: supersac, on january 26, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was a present from my parents about two years ago and it was made in 2008 it is a lefthanded rg.It has a thin 3 piece maple neck with a rose wood fretboard, HSH passive infinity pick ups, master volume and tone controls, 5 way switch(I've redone the wiring since getting the guitar but more on that later), a solid black finish the body is made of basswood and superstrat shaped, locking nut and Ibanez tuners and an edgeIII bridge. the guitar came with an Ibanez hardcase an extra pack of strings(d'ardarrio), allen keys and all the original manuals and even a note from the previous own explaining why he was selling a basically brand new guitar still had the tags ( he just never played it) // 10

Sound: My rig consists of a modded crybaby wah, a valvecaster, and a homemade fuzz all into a Bugera V22 and 30 something watt tube amp built into a deville case I play many styles on it from classical and jazz to blues rock and metal and some instrumentals like steve vai and satriani and with the 5 way Switch this guitar is very versatile and sustains surprisingly well. The bridge pick up was bright, good for distorted riffing but terrible for playing any cleans on it. The middle pick up was great for cleans and mid gainy stuff and it was noisy but its a single coil so it was expected. The neck pick up was my favorite it had a very bassy sound that sounded very smooth but easily got muddy unless I lowered the bass down. The 2 and 4 positions were my favorite for playing clean and had noticeably lower output than any of the other positions(I believe they were in parallel). I have since replaced the pick ups on it(and the rest of the electronics I'm very anal about my tone) with some I made now the guitar just sings if I were to rate it with the new pick ups it would be a 9 or 10 but you guys can't get these on it stock so 7. This guitar itself is kinda mid heavy and I've never had problem cutting through the mix. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure about the factory set up but when I got the guitar was perfectly set up, intonation was perfect the bridge was aligned correctly and the guitar was only a bit out of tune(I don't remember if the note said he got it professionally set up before shipping to me but just assume it was) The finish was flawless and not a scratch on it and even the routing was sanded smooth. it does get finger prints on it easily and now after a couple years of hard playing has a few scratches but nothing too bad mostly pick scratches. The neck on this guitar when I got it made me fall in love with it it has a low actiona and no fret buzz its straight as an arrow and is the most comfortable neck I've ever played which is why I upgraded this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: now reliabily wise its very good the strap buttons never fail me and electronics it came with were well soldered and hever had any problem with the finish is just as beutiful as when I got it maybe more so with the few scratches it earned. There is one exception. There is one of the things that most people complain about on the and the edge3 bridge saying it will go out of tune and this is somewhat untrue. The bridge is very nice for the price it is and stayed in tune very well until I started using the wammy bar more aggressively. I've had to go out and replace the bridge with an edge pro and that solved all problems with the guitar. I would and have gigged this guitar with out a back up a couple of times before I made my SG now I don't recomend it it you are going to be using the wammy alot with the stock bridge, its better for lighter wammy uses but don't risk it I know I wouldn't again. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about 4-5 years now and I love this guitar it just feels right in my hands while its not perfect stock with a couple upgrades its on par if not better than guitars mmuch mor eexpensiv ethan this I'd even go as far as saying it competes with a prestige or a jem even. This guitar is great for you if you need a versatile guitar that you don't mind giving a little tlc to or just upgrade the bridge and you have a great playing guitar.if it had a better bridge it would probably get a way better score. Now if it was stolen(I don't know who would steal a left handed guitar around here)I would hunt him down and get lucy back at whatever cost. I do love this guitar and it did have it flaws but its so comfortable for me that I couldnt or wouldn't ever give it up its almost the perfect guitar for me now. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S1520 8.2 Electric Guitars 04/23/2014