RG370DXZ Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 03/20/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG370DXZ
The RG370DXZ is a 24 fret Superstrat shaped guitar mainly meant for Rock and Metal. The RG370DXZ is part of the RG's 2011 line.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
reviews (4) pictures (3) 39 comments vote for this gear:
RG370DXZ Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2011

Price paid: C$ 445

Purchased from: Long & McQuades

Features: The RG370DXZ is a 24 fret Superstrat shaped guitar mainly meant for Rock and Metal. The RG370DXZ is part of the RG's 2011 line, Notice the Z as in the New Edge Zero II Tremolo which will ultimately replace the Horrible Edge III and it's still made in Korea. The new Edge Zero II Tremolo is more comfortable than the Edge III and with the new ZPS system, you can smash away with your tremolo and stay in the same tuning. Compared to the old RG370DX, this is a great leap forward. // 10

Sound: It has 2 Knobs; A volume and a tone with a 5-way selector which makes it simpler than most guitars. It still uses it's Infinity Pickups which are quite hot but not fit for playing mellow clean songs. This is one of the greatest guitars you can purchase if you're mainly a Rock or Metal Player. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My only issue I had with this guitar was that I had to fix the nut a little because it was off just by a bit, took 2 minutes out of my life but maybe it was just this one... Still a solid, powerful, sexy guitar. Compared to the old 2003 model with the powersound pickups this would totally kill the 2003. When it came to me it was glossy with very little scratches (Probably due to my own handling prior to examining it). It's a 10 because of the greater improvements. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only gigged once with this guitar but it was perfect, I'd absolutely bring a backup though, the tremolo is much easier to move but that might tempt me to push too hard and screw it over; I'm a die hard metal artist so to easy rockers there are going to be little to no issues. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd give the old 370dx a 8 while I'd give this one a 9.5 due to the lack of versatility with the pickups... If you're a rocker or metal player under a tight budget, a guitar like this for around $400 is just perfect; I'd suggest this one to almost anyone. // 10

RG370DXZ Reviewed by: nikM13, on september 06, 2011

Purchased from: Musicians Mall

Features: This guitar is a 2011 RG370DXZ. It has 24 frets, a bound rosewood fretboard, a 3 piece maple neck, and a black basswood body, Ibanez INF 3, INF3S and INF 4 pickups, and the Edge Zero 2. It has a volume and tone knob, and a 5 way blade switch. NOTE: It actually cost 26,600 rupees, I just converted to USD, its probably d wrong figure, but UG doesn't have Indian Rupees in it. // 10

Sound: I play metal, like most people who would buy an ibanez. The pickups are great, considering theyre some stock pickups on a made in indonesia guitar. Distortion sounds great on this guitar, even clean does actually, though there are probably better guitars for that kind of music where you use clean. I run it through a Fender Mustang 2, and I'm gettin a Boss DS-1 for it. It sounds great, though in the future, I'm probably going to have to change pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was excellent. The bridge was perfectly set up, the strings were new, the paint was clear, the hardware was great. It all feels solid. The EZ2 stays in tune all the time(unless you idolize Herman Li, I learnt that the hard way). I can change it from Drop D to Standard in a snap, and not a single string goes out of tune! It's also very comfortable. But the arm's finish at the point where it bends from just above the tightening thing on it, is very poor. The pick actually scratched a bit of finish off! The only problem, and this is a major one, was the placement of that damn volume knob. It comes in the way of the tremolo bar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is a frikkin diamond. The only problem it's had was that the arm holder came out, but that's the price of trying to be like Herman Li :P The bridge is actually good, in spite of its not Japanese origins. The whole guitar is tough, the guy at the guitar shop, who fixed the arm holder when it broke, couldn't even open the back plate! He ended up using drill with a screwdriver. It is not humanly possible for this guitar to last less than 20 years, that's my guess. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, like avenged sevenfold, slipknot, children of bodom, dream theater, etc. The guitar is built for metal. It's neck is super thin, the fretboard was excellent, the bridge was strong, the pickups were sharp, everything on the guitar is perfect. And yet, I can pull of some country stuff like achy breaky heart(pls don't laugh, it was a school thing) on this guitar! If someone stole it, I would murder them... When I went to buy a guitar, I originally had my eyes on a Jackson rhoads or dinky. I was just about to buy the dinky, when the shops Ibanez shipment came in. There was an rg 350ez and this. In a flash, after a quick tryout of the guitar, I knew the Ibanez was way better than the Jackson could ever be. I chose this because I hate pickguards. The guitar is worth 2 times the money I paid. And people say prestiges are a thousand times better than MII ibanezes! I frankly don't believe anything can even top this guitar! // 10

RG370DXZ Reviewed by: Sir_Taffey, on march 20, 2013

Purchased from: Mercury Music

Features: My guitar is the left handed model made 2007 in Japan. This guitar has 24 jumbo frets with a 25.5" scale. The Ibanez Wizard 3 Maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and Shark tooth inlay. Basswood solid body guitar with a gloss black finish which like all gloss finishes gets scratched and smudged so easily. Super-Strat body style with a beveled top for comfortable arm placement. It has a Edge II Zero Locking trem which holds tune well even when breaking a string, but it took a lot of setting up out of the box for me to be able to use the whammy bar. It has a hum-sing-hum setup, with 5 way switch (as if you didn't guess) and has a tone and volume knob. The Pick-ups are standard Ibanez Infinity's. Neck-INF(H), mid-INFS(S), bridge-INF(H). This guitar out the box was not exactly playable because after changing the strings I had to fight with the intonation and setup of the counterbalance springs to get it to hold tune in the tunings I use. So this guitar stays in drop tuning now for me, with my non-locking trem guitars change around. But other than that this guitar came out very nice and felt good in my hands, comfortable to play with the beveling at the back. // 6

Sound: OK, I am part of the generic community on UG and play predominantly metal but this is by no means simply a metal guitar. I run it through my Boss ML-2 and my Roland Cube 30X. Not the most top quality amp but it gets the job done :) With the bridge pick-up it responds well to chords in clean tone, very high bass output on that front but leaving picked out chords to ring gives a very nice feel that reminds me of Opeth's more mellow breaks. Using the bridge and mid is my personal favorite for my clean tone with some delay and chorus, it has a twangy sound which still retains the warmth of the bridge pickup. The mid single coil is straight up Stratocaster sound, your Vintage sound in it, I don't use it much because the buzz annoys me. The neck-mid has the same effect as the bridge-mid but it has a brighter sound to it, less of the twangy sound. And lastly with clean the neck has a bright sound which I would use mostly for arpeggio and scale based playing, I don't strum much on it. The distorted tones now, the bridge pickup is great for chugg riffing which we are all so fond of hearing about and works nicely with chords and doesn't let extended chords sound too messy. I don't use the in between selections with distortion due to noise and the twang sounds wrong for my preference, but the neck pickup I found only sounds good when you start to play or solo up on the higher notes, the treble strings or past the 12th fret, it articulates the notes very nicely when soloing and I will always switch to it for the higher notes. So it is versatile, I have recently gotten into jazzy stuff and some blues so it can do more besides the metal background the RG series has. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said before the set-up was terrible out the box for me, the bridge was a total mess with like gauge .13 on it, So I had to work a lot on the action and the springs. I didn't set it up as a floating trem so I could maintain some tuning stability. The pickups are alan screw adjustable, covered in glue from the sticky film so I had a lot of cleaning to do and adjustments to make them even, then do the heights to finely adjust the sound and responsiveness of the pickups. I'm not an expert on that so I played it by ear mostly. The whole thing was routed well, it's just the input jack I had to tighten after resoldering the wires on. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very robust, hit it on many things jumping around while playing and I have put strap-locks on it and it hold up well, the Edge-Zero Bridge holds well for violent whammy bar abuse and holds tune with despite all the abuse. The hardware holds well, just after my input socket fix I would gig with it. I would use this without backup provided I play nice with it and not do something really stupid to hurt it. The finish is very temperamental to even the thought of being touched and has many scratches. It doesn't wear with polishing so you just have to keep it out of harms way. // 6

Overall Impression: I feel it is good for some things. Jack of all trades, master of none. An intermediate level instrument but well suited to whatever you want to coax out of it. I have been playing for 3-4 years now. My set up is my Boss ML-2, love that pedal, my Roland Cube 30X, it is noisy and can be upgraded to get even better tone out of the guitar. The other guitar I have is a Cort X2LH, a decent beginner guitar, very fun to play on. I wish I asked them to set it up but if it were stolen I would rather put in the extra money and upgrade up from it just from my first impression. But it is a very decent guitar overall for the job it does. I love the shape and inlay, how fast and comfortable the Wizard 3 neck is (don't think I mentioned which neck it had earlier). I don't like how the bridge gets in the way when you are picking of how the whammy bar works loose and starts flopping around while playing and when you need it. // 6

RG370DXZ Reviewed by: solidrane, on april 01, 2011

Price paid: C$ 396

Features: This guitar was manufactured in 2011 as is the Edge Zero II Tremolo. It has a basswood body with a bound basswood neck with a rosewood fretboard of comfort and weight. It has 1 tone and 1 volume with a 5 way selector for the HSH pickup setup. It has Infinity 3 and 4 Humbuckers with a single coil Infinity 3. // 9

Sound: I play mainly Metal and classic rock like BFMV, Metallica, and Guns & Roses. This guitar is way better suited for the average metal player because of the tremolo, thin neck, and overall sound. The stock infinity pickups are high out put and that's it, they're absolute shit. Cleans are very dirty, gains are pretty muddy just with the Guitar and Amp, you might want to add a few effects or just Switch out the pickups with Seymour Duncan 59s for the Warmer tones or if you're the metal player, the DiMarzio X2N and Super Distortion if you can raise your budget by $150 As for the Tremolo, the Edge Zero with ZPS stays in tune 90% better than the Edge III, if you don't do serious dive bombs and trem effects, this trem is good for you. If you do od the dive bombs and abuse the tremolo, order an EDGE PRO from Ibanez's site. This is what i did, the EDGE PRO fits inside the cavity of the Edge Zero from my experience. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was reset up by the shop my friend got it from so I'm not sure about the "out of the box" quality but the stock pickups were out of place a little so it took some adjustment. I checked up on the ones still in stock and the nut needed filing, the frets weren't all the way pushed in and the tremolo arm was bent irregularly. Maybe it's quality control or shipping damage, I suggest checking out the guitar yourself with your own opinions. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's been a month since I've had it and I did a small gig at school and it went out of tune by a half step or so right during a song. Sadly I didn't feel well because I used the trem a lot. This is a pretty sturdy guitar it has taken a few hits without the paint job being affected but it's pretty strong for a basswood guitar. I had an old 350dx but I ruined it, the EDGE III eroded away, the paint job lost it's sheen even with special care. The care taken into the creation of this guitar wasn't great but it was one big step from the older model. // 8

Overall Impression: Decent, that's all I need to say, Decent. If you're a good guitarist, this isn't the guitar for you. This guitar is great for the amateur. If you have an $800 or so budget, I'd go for a nice ESP or Schecter over this or a Ibanez Premium. The overall line of the RG's isn't "Awesome" It's a bit overrated. I'd suggest the Ibanez S570B over the whole RG Standard line: -Mahogany (IMO better for metal and Classic Rock) -Ibanez ZR Tremolo (20% better than the Edge Zero II because of less friction due to the ball bearing joint and tuning stability) I have an S570 and S420 for $525 just $30 mroe than the RG370DXZ, If you can spare $30 more, git the S series with ZR. Much better but it's up to you. Try it out yourself. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014