RG420EG Review

8.6
 7.8
reviews (3) pictures (6) 19 comments vote for this gear:
RG420EG Reviewed by: Heideck, on april 12, 2011

Features: It's a brand new RG420Eg that I bought six moth ago. It's a 2008 or 2009 model. Like a lot of RG's its a wizard neck, 24 frets Shark tooths inlay, jumbo frets, and it's a fast neck. It's also a thin neck, very good for fast playing. It's a solid top guitar made of basswood. Depending of the year of the model you buy, the finish might be different. This Ibanez as a good Floyd Rose trem (Edgde III) which is very good because it keeps the strings well tuned IF IT IS SETTLED PROPERLY! There's a lot of videos on youtube that are showing you how to set-up an edge III properly.There are locking nuts which are also helping. There is two humbucker pick-ups (V7 and V8). They are good, and for the price I paid, it's very good). I'm thing to think to replace them but two good pickus will cost me more than half of what this guitar cost to me. There'S a 5-way selector, which can give you lot of different sounds. // 9

Sound: I'm playing a lot of style (from classic to death metal) but mainly instrumental rock (Satriani, Vai, EJ) and 80s 90s metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater) . This guitar is mainly made for that. Most of the time, I'm playing with my small pratice amp (Line 6 Spider IV) but when I'm playing with friends or more seriously, I have "burrowded" a Marshall amp (DSL 100) to one of my friendand it's sound just so great. I'm sometimes using some friends pedal but my only one is a satchurator. When I'm playing jazz and/or classic, I'm always getting a very nice sound (espessially with jazz, Ifound how to got a "Stanley Jordan" sound style). Never had noise problem, the sound was always as I wanted it. The big variety of sound that this guitar can get is just astonishing. So if you're playing lot of diffent style of music and you don't want to sacrifice one of them? This guitar is for you. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Except for the trem, everything was well seted-up. The action is low (how I love it) and I didn't made any modifications (except setting up the Floyd Rose trem). Pick ups were well ajusted. I heard of some people that on some RG's model, pickups weren't ajusted properly. I don't know if it's real but you shouldn't get this problem with this guitar. The only thing I change is that I colored the sharks tooths inlay with green (same green that on Morbid Angel guitarist Trey Azaragoth). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Only making 6 month that I have this guitar so it's hard to judge. I hadn't had any problem till here and it's looking that I won't have some soon. Played a cupple of time live (small audience +-200 peoples max) and it was always good. No problem with trems or tuning, no rpoblem with strap button. I could be depending on it but I'm always bringing my Ibanez SA260FM in case that something happen (like that I drop my guitar, thing I've done a cupple of time but it was in my bedroom and it didn't fell from high). Giving it a 10 because eveything was perfect and the guitar really look solid. I also check the inside (just beofre writting this) to see if everything was correct and it al looks brand new. // 10

Overall Impression: This is maybe the best deal I'll do in my life. /50$ bucks for this guitar is absolutelly amazing. I would have payed up to 550$ to an has good guitar anywhere else. I was at begining looking for an RG350 or 370 but when I saw this one for this price, I went to try it and I loved it. I have a friend who have a Shecter Omen Extreme (with floyd rose) and my guitar sounds better, even if we are using the same amp. And he paid 650$ (taxes not included). In conclusion, I would reccomend this guitar to anyone who is playing almost any type of music, it's true that for big brutal death metal other guitar are better ad for classic, you can use an accoustic or classic (nylon string guitar) and it' go better. Have tried a lot of different guitar in past 2 years I can tell you that if I want a better guitar, I'll need to pay more than 1000 bucks. A great guitar who surpirsed me in a very good way :). // 9

RG420EG Reviewed by: Boer Goat, on february 24, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: I have owned this guitar for two years now and it has been my primary guitar until a few months ago. Only I have the "Bio Armor" style body, same everything other than the routed design. So it has the Standard 24 jumbo frets. Has two pickups the V7; Neck pickup and the V8; Bridge pickup. Both are passive. Has a pretty good Floyd Rose, of which I'll mention later. Locking nuts which really prevent the Floyd from pulling your guitar out of tune. A super thin neck that you would expect from Ibanez, great for shredding! Tuners are Ibanez's own brand and they work very well for as little as they are used. Has a 5 way channel selector. The first three positions are the neck, both, then bridge. The other two are a mix of the pickups. I had an Ibanez hard-shell case thrown in with the deal too. // 8

Sound: It is Dark. Very Dark. By that I mean it has a very "bassy" E sting. It is very notable in standard tuning, but it isn't very noticeable in drop tunings. It truly shines in Drop D tuning. I have use it for everything; metal, rock, thrash, grunge... Very versatile, it can do just about anything you throw at it. It has been played through a multitude of amps from my Bugera to my first Crate. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I actually kept the factory settings on most everything other than the Floyd Rose. I have had so many issues with the Floyd Rose though. When you palm mute it, it has a tendency to actual tense up the strings. Maybe if you never had to palm muse it would work better. Lead guitar defiantly, it has an amazing neck action. Solos are easy and the neck feels like it was greased with "Crisco". I may have just talked trash on the Floyd Rose but it is a fantastic tremolo system when used. It floats, ever so beautifully. The most enjoyable part is pulling back and making that guitar scream. The body is super light, only 8 or 9 pounds I think. It has a really nice groove sanded into the body for your side when playing. In essence it follows the contour of your body and provides a more enjoyable playing experience. However the Finish is a pain in the butt. Is rough and rigid. The paint chips easily and IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAN. Dust gets trapped in the grooves of the body and it is like its glue there. Many days I have wanted to take a sander to that guitar. Very hard to weigh the pros and cons. Majority of the cons are aesthetically related. The Floyd Rose is probably the great wicked/evil/joy/amazing part of the guitar. Which is unfortunately why it has a lower score. Maybe you'll have better luck! // 7

Reliability & Durability: It never comes out of tuning. I only have to tune it once per set of strings, or when changing tuning. The locking nuts and Floyd Rose are that good. The Hardware is fairly durable, had to open up the guitar a few times to tighten loose volume and tone knobs. Strap buttons were okay, but I always buy strap-locks to be on the safe side. Reliable? Oh yeah. Durable? Eh not bad. // 7

Overall Impression: It was a good match for me, still is. It's a great guitar. It was my first "real guitar" so I went through a learning process with it. I wish I would have known more about Floyd Rose, and how terrible the finish is on the guitar. But looking beyond prejudices it's a nice guitar. It's an Ibanez! Metalishous? Very much so. It's a nice guitar, sounds good, plays well, action is sick. If it was stolen, regrettably I wouldn't buy another. There is nothing that sets it apart from any other guitar. Still a great piece though! // 7

RG420EG Reviewed by: ibanezrocker13, on december 20, 2013

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia but it doesn't show it at all. It was built well, without flaws in the finish or hardware. It has 24 jumbo frets, on a rosewood fingerboard. The neck itself is made out of maple and it shows wood grain beautifully. The neck has a matte finish allowing for speedy playing. It is a solid top guitar, made out of basswood. I got the iron silver finish. It is obviously an RG series guitar. It has an Ibanez Floyd-Rose style trem with passive electronics. It has V7 and V8 humbuckers and Ibanez tuners. // 9

Sound: I play mostly classic rock, punk, GNR metal and some jazz. This guitar covers those genres well. As it is an Ibanez it handles any metal/shredding that I play. I use a Vox tube amp, and sometimes a cheap fender solid state and it sounds good through both. It gives a good crunch distortion, and can handle reverb-cleans. The sound can be very bright and trebly, but it can also give a dark distorted sound. This guitar is my go to for practicing and composing as I can get a variety of sounds though it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no problem with how this guitar was setup at the factory. The action is pretty low, I see this as an asset for speedy solos, the frets however do not buzz. I have kept all the hardware/pickups stock and its totally fine. None of it has faded and the metallic parts are still the original black. Since it has a Floyd Rose bridge, I am able to hold the tuning for weeks without adjusting. There are no flaws and after almost 4 years of relentless playing, it still works perfectly. If you treat her right, she'll fulfill all of your musical needs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand even the most abusive live playing. The hardware is solid and has never been adjusted once. I have nothing against the strap buttons, but I use strap locks as a precaution. I can depend on this guitar for good tones on any stage I play. I would not gig without a backup as live performances are unpredictable. The finish has yet to wear out, save a few minor dings, it looks good as new. I play this thing daily, and it has perfect intonation and tuning stability. Everything is just like the day I bought it, this guitar can hold its own onstage. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for me, I would never sell it. I have been playing about 5 years and I love this guitar. I also own a MIM Strat and a Gibson SG Standard, and I love this guitar just as much as the others. If lost, and I could afford a replacement I would. They go on the used market for about $400-500 near me so it has a good resale value. My favorite feature is the bridge which never loses it's tuning. I compared it to other brands within the price range, Jackson, DBZ, Dean, and this guitar came out on top. Overall it is a solid, reliable good sounding instrument for anything from jazz, to blues, to rock, to death metal. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG3EXFM1 8.1 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014