RG421 Review

5.1
reviews (2) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
RG421 Reviewed by: neoclassical85, on january 10, 2011

Price paid: C$ 300

Features: 2002 Ibanez RG421. Rare Made in Japan model. 24 Frets Fixed Bridge H-H Setup with 5-way switch Scale: 25.5 in. Wizard neck Basswood body Jumbo frets Gotoh Tuners V7 neck pickup V8 bridge pickup I bought it used with a "Carvin" brand hardshell case. I rate the features at 9/10 because despite some great features, this guitar unfortunately does not support a tremolo arm. // 9

Sound: I was quite impressed with the quality of the V7/V8 pickups in this badboy. Before I even bought the guitar I was planning on swapping in some DiMarzio's, however, I know now that I can wait a few months before I get bored with the stock pickups. I play everything from Metal, to Progressive (Dream Theater), hard rock, modern rock, and metalcore (Killswitch Engage), also neoclassical Jason Becker/Yngwie Malmsteen type stuff, and it does all of these styles well. I do lean more towards heavy music, and its perfect for that. Also the cleans can be really nice from the middle position of this guitar. I run the guitar through a Marshall Valvestate VS100 and a Boss GT-8 processor, and it sounds great. Also, sounds fantastic straight from headphones plugged into the GT-8. I've also tryed it straight though the Marshall amp and with stompboxes such as the DS-1 without disappointment, this guitar seems to deliver good tones, and you get a nice diversity of sounds between the 5-way pickup selector. However, it is more geared towards heavy and modern rock sounds I believe, which is perfect for me, but maybe not for everyone. I rate the sound an 8/10. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar it was set up quite well. Nice low action, and quite possibly the fastest neck I've ever played, and I've owned many guitars over the years. My only complaint, is the high frets were going dead during bends and vibratos, and I was getting some noise from other strings during the bends. This is totally unacceptable for me, so I had to raise the action a tad, and the problem was solved. Let me say one thing about the finish, this is one SEXY guitar. Mine is in deep blue, not a scratch of flaw on it, and it is absolutely gorgeous. I have always loved the curves and shape of Ibanez guitars, and this one does not disappoint in the looks department. In terms of action, fit & Finish I will give this category a hard 9 since my problem was an easy fix. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I trust this guitar for live playing. I would bring a backup of course, just in case. The hardware seems solid, the Gotoh tuners keep the guitar in good tune even after live playing abuse. It has huge strap buttons, so I don't even need my strap locks with this baby, so thats a huge bonus. I think the finish is beautiful and tough at the same time, I can't imagine it wearing on me anytime in the near future. I take very good care of my guitars so I haven't chipped the finish yet and I would probably cry if I ever damaged this beauty. // 9

Overall Impression: What a buy! I paid $300CDN for a rare Japan Made Ibanez RG421 with a nice hardshell case and it is literally brand new! I'm not saying this is the last guitar I'm ever going to own in my life, but I am never going to sell it. I've been playing for over 10 years and I can't wait to bring this sexy guitar on stage and melt some panties. If this guitar was lost of stolen, I would never be able to find a made in japan model in perfect condition at that price ever again. I got VERY lucky, however I would certainly look to replace it. I love the look and playability of this guitar the most. What I didn't like at first is the volume knob actually gets in my way a bit when I'm playing the high strings, so I had to adjust my playing style a bit. The V7/V8 pickups surpassed my expectations for stock pickups, however I do plan on upgrading them in the future. The only thing I wish it had would be a trem arm but this guitar doesn't support them. Overall I give this product a well deserved 9/10. Thanks for checking out my review! // 9

RG421 Reviewed by: jcristo.drake, on november 18, 2014

Price paid: € 250

Features: Ok, so this guitar has 24 frets, jumbo style, features a Wizard III 3-piece Maple neck over a Quilted Maple top/Mahogany body and where you'll be applying is a Rosewood fretboard. It has a fixed bridge, which is highly recommended in low budget guitars, tremolo bridges aren't that cheap for a good one. It is a passive guitar. The pickups are Infinity (INF3-neck / INF4-bridge) and it has chrome hardware. The hardware features 1 volume switch, 1 tone switch and a 5-way selector. I really love the finish on it, and the whole junction of a gray/black guitar and a chrome hardware, makes it look really nice! // 8

Sound: Well I bought this guitar about a year ago, and frankly, it didn't go that well with my Behringer VT250, but that was just a matter of messing with the tuning and gain (or else the feedback was really high). Still, I've been using it with Guitar Rig 5 and the results are amazing! My sound modeling skills aren't that great but I've managed to get all kinds of sounds. Although INF3 isn't THAT great, it still manages to give the lows that INF4 needs on center and below switch.

I play a lot of things, mostly improvising jazzy style or making up a few heavy riffs, depending on my mood, and I've been able to suit almost perfectly every kind of tone I want. This guitar might be better suited for metal since you get a pretty good rhythm tone on the bridge pickup (INF4), but when you want to switch to the neck to get that clarity and definition, it still sounds kinda rusty, I'd recommend switching the INF3 - I might be getting a DiMarzio CrunchLab for it soon. It's bolted neck though, so it will cut a bit of sustain of the guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I had to lower the strings a little bit but it unleashed the full power of this fast guitar, it felt faster and faster everyday. The pickups were well adjusted, but I messed around with them and put the bridge pickup a bit higher than the neck one so the INF3 wouldn't be too crunchy sounding, and the INF4 had a higher output. It worked fine. This guitar tho, I had to open it twice already because of the jack input, eventually it started to go further and further every time I played until the connection was lost. I really love the neck btw! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes, this guitar may withstand live playing, I didn't actually use it yet but it shouldn't have a problem, although you might require an averagely good rig to make it burst out, like I said, with my Behringer it still has a few feedback issues. The hardware, well, I believe it will last for about another year or more if I take good care of it, but the bridge is getting rusty (I don't usually take care of my guitars so if you do, you should be fine). The strap buttons are solid, I would depend on it on a gig without a problem, as long as I maintained it at least 1 week before to see if everything was fine. // 8

Overall Impression: I explore music like scientists look at space, it's a vast culture, almost unknown. This guitar allows me to go through a lot of different experiences just by messing around with the effects and kinds of amps. Like I said, I will change the INF3 for a CrunchLab and see what it sounds, but the stock pickups are not bad at all! I think EMG or DiMarzio might be the pickups this guitar needs to shine through with definition and confidence. Of course it's a low budget guitar, but if you're in for a treat, grab yourself one and find out! // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014