RG470 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 05/04/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG470
24 frets, solid top, volume, tone, 5-way selector, passive electronics, no battery needed, basswood body, super strat style, 1 piece maple neck, maple headstock, rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.1
 Features: 8.8
 8.3
 9.1
 7.5
reviews (15) pictures (6) 31 comments vote for this gear:
RG470 Reviewed by: Xiphias, on july 22, 2005

Features: 24 fret Ibanez made 02 in Japan, Floyd Rose bridge, 5 way selector. // 10

Sound: This is a really good guitar, I've been playing for 8 years on various guitars, and it wasn't until I played on my friends RG470 that I really understood how good this guitar was. The Ibanez neck is very thin, that really improves the speed in certain scales and solos. The sound is also very impressive alltrough my amp is not. I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and the difference is remarkable. I play both metal and slower classical guitar and it works superb. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar second hand in a musicstore in Sweden. The prevoius owner treated this guitar the way it deserved (or maybe he just liked to look at it) because it wasn't any scratch and the neck look like it just was made. I guess that is why the secound hand price (and the fact that it was japanese) made it quite expensive. The only thing that is a bit negative is that the swingstick (English is not my first language as you might see, hope you get it) can loosen a bit when played, still it's just a tiny problem, still worthy of a 5. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live with this guitar yet, but that is absolutly nothing that I'm afraid of, it sound great and yet I havn't had any problem with it. Then I am afraid of loosing a string on stage and that is not the guitars fault. I havn't played on the korean made RG470 yet but I know from earlier that the Japanese guitarbuildes really put in everything when the construct their guitars, their mentality is diffrent from ours, it's an honour thing I guess. // 10

Overall Impression: I think I've said what needs to be said on this matter. There is a lot of good guitars out there. Students like me can't afford the Ibanez JEM customs and the Gibson's Les Paul series. But this time I really think that this is defenitly good enough. The next thing I'll buy is not a new guitar, it's a new amp. // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2008

Features: This Model came out in 2002 and WAS made in Japan. 24 Jumbo Polished Frets. 25.5" neck scale. Neck is just right and not too thin or to thick. The fretboard is a nice and wide which is perfect for my huge hands! The guitars body is Basswood and the neck is a maple wood with a maple headstock. The finish on this guitar is a solid top and the color is a Blade Grey. The brigde is a Lo-TRS Floyd Rose licensed Bridge. The elecronics are passive V7(N)-S1-V8(B) and are 5 way Switch. 1 tone and 1 Volume knobs. The Tuners are Gotoh and it has a locking trem so I don't worry about the tuners! The guitar came with a beautiful Ibanez case. // 10

Sound: I'm a metal guitar player (thrash, death, black) and have this guitar set up to B Standard Tuning. I'm using a Crate Blue Voodoo amp and for effects I'm using a DigiTech Whammy pedal and a Zakk Wylde Wah Pedal. Both the neck and bridge pick-ups are pretty good! The bridge has a great sharp bite to it (perfect for low tunings! ) and the neck pickup has a nice sharp smooth sound for soloing. The Single Coil is pretty noisy (picks up unwanted noises ex. radios) The pick ups in this guitar are dark sounding but the basswoods bright sound work well together! Especially with the low B tuning I get awesome clarity with the strings and notes! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had this guitar set up to B Standard tuning (B E A D F# B) at a local guitar shop (the factory tuning was Standard and was ok). After having it tweaked the guitar played like a dream! Had the action set low enough to have the strings sustain and not buzz against the frets. The pickups were set a little close to the strings and the sound is awesome! The only flaw was this guitar I guess would the the bridge! But then again all floating trems have that problem! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I Live in the colder regions in Ontario and the guitar has withstood climate changes and hasn't warped in anyway at all! I haven't had to change the action or set up of this guitar for 5 years! This guitar has been across canada and it still plays the same every night despite being toss around and walked on. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm an extreme metal and rock guitar player and this guitar has covered it all very well! I've played Gibson, Fender, Jacksons and B.C. Richs over the years and this RG beats them all! I can drop this thing out of an airplane and it would still be in perfect condition! If it were stolen I would be devestated! I would destroy the whole planet because if I can't have it then no one can! // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: CkY freak, on october 04, 2004

Purchased from: Hauers Music Store

Features: I'm not sure what year it was made in, but it was made in Korea. It has 24 jumbo frets with a wizard 2 neck, rosewood fretboard and maple neck. I got mine in a awsome jewel blue finish. It's kind of got a Strat body style, more pointer than a Strat. I was lucky enough to get this guitar used, it was customized also which was great. It didn't come with stock pickups which I was glad because I read that the stock pickups were bad. This great guitar came with a Dimarzio X2n Dp102 in the bridge, a Fender red Lace sensor in the middle, and I never did find out what the neck pickup was, all I know is it's a Dimarzio, all passive pickups. It has a master volume knob and one tone knob, with gives me some tone comtrol, but I would of rather it had 2 tone knobs, Its got a floyd rose lisensed trem, a low trs I belive. It also came with a nice gig bag. People want to know why I got this guitar so cheap with all new pickups, its because there is a little ding in the body that you can't even see from 3 inches away. // 8

Sound: This guitar will suit any music style. When I bought it I was playing stuff like Cky, Death and Metallica, hard rock and metal stuff like that. After a while I got back into Eric Clapton, who had been my inspiration to play guitar, so I started playing light rock, and jazz, this guitar gets the job done. At the moment I am playing it through a DigiTech RP100 multi-effects pedal, and a little Peavey Rage 158 amp, not the best amp, but it works. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I bought it was ok, I ended up having to go get the neck readjusted bacause my strings started to produce dead notes. The bridge pickup is very close to the strings so it has a very high output, but it killed the sustain on solos. The guitar did contain a small chip like flaw in it, but it didnt effect anything at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand anything, its built tough. I know that when I playing in my room, or in front of people, I know it won't give up on me, it will last a long, long time, and I would use this guitar without a backup. The finish looks good, looks like it will last a long time, but the fretboard as some wear on it, but other than that, it's fine. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar will cover anything from jazz, to death metal, it's a great guitar and is one of the best Ibanez's in my opinion. When I bought this gutiar, the electric was a Squier Bullet, so needless to say this was a huge upgrade. I love everything about this guitar and would put it up to any Gibson, or anybody's guitar period. If it was stolen or lost, I would be upset, because this guitar is discontinued, and I would have enough money to custominze a guitar like that. I would reccomend this guitar to anybody. // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: Dave_Mc, on may 30, 2005

Purchased from: Marcus Music

Features: It's a made in Japan double cutaway super Strat type guitar, in titanium ice (or glittery purple to people who speak English). The body wood is basswood (which is nice and light, while still a pretty good tone, somewhat between alder and mahogany), while the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets. The width at the nut is 43mm (1 11/16"). The neck is super slim and fast. It has Bridge and Neck Humbuckers (V7 and V8) and an S1 single coil in the middle (all passive). These are governed by a 5-way selector Switch, and there is both a master volume and tone knob. It has an Ibanez double locking Lo-Trs licensed Floyd Rose recessed tremelo. This is awful and broke on me, spoiling an otherwise excellent guitar- this is why it gets 4 stars instead of 5. // 8

Sound: I like playing blues, rock, metal and shred. it is excellent for metal and shred, and gets a surprisingly authentic blues (not as good as a Strat, but still pretty good) and classic rock (not as good as a Les Paul, but still pretty good) tone. And of course, it does the metal and shred tones better than those two guitars. The neck pickup sounds great for cleans as well very warm. I'm using it with a Marshall AVT100 amp. All in all, really versatile, and a good buy unless you just want to play one style of music i.e. if you want to play just blues, buy a Strat, or if you want to play just classic rock, buy a Les Paul, but if you want to play lots of styles, this is a good guitar. A solid 4 stars. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: No problems coming from the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Lo-Trs tremelo, it broke on me and refuses to stay in tune. I had to get a tech to block it off, so now I can't raise the pitch of notes with the bar. Also, I need to get new frets (according to this tech) I must have been playing too hard! // 6

Overall Impression: Yep, this suits my type of music perfectly, I'm considering buying another RG soon (a J-custom this time) so that's the best impression I can give of it! // 8

RG470 Reviewed by: dedguitar, on november 19, 2005

Sound: This is a great rock guitar. It comes with V7 S1 V8 pickups which are awesome. I put the EMG Zakk Wylde set in mine which made this guitar scream, through every amp I've ever played it through. It has a great clear sound especially after the EMGs were put in. This guitar can play any thing from metallica to the crazy Steve Vai stuff. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It had pretty good action when I got it from the store. After a while when I took it to the shop to have the EMGs put in and he fixed the action and now its set up perfectly. When I had the origanal pickups the neck pick up came loose and it fell inside the guitar cavity which kinda bumbed me out. And the dots on top of the neck, the 12th and 24th dots are crooked. It doesn't effect the playability at all but I expect better from Ibanez. Also after a few weeks I had a problem with my tone nob falling off, which isn't really a big deal that could happen to any guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take alot of abuse. I've droped it, droped stuff on it, and it doesn't affect it at all. I can still pick it up and play it andit stays in tune after all the abuse. I gig with it and have never had a single problem with it, I would trust my life with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play every kind of rock there is and this guitar stays right with me. I've been playing for about 5 years now. I own a Les Paul and a Strat along with this guitar, and I know it sounds weird but this is deffinatly my favorite. Probably one of the best guitars I've ever played. I love the thin neck on this guitar, you couldnt beat it. If this guitar was stolen I would have to steal someone elses 'cause I can't afford another one but I couldn't live with out this guitar. // 9

RG470 Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 10, 2003

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: Made in Japan, '02 (unlike most other 4XX series Ibanezes, which tend to be made in Korea 24 frets Solid top Volume, Tone, 5-way selector H/S/H IBZ V7/S1/V8 pickups Passive electronics, no battery needed. Basswood body Super Strat style Ibanez Lo-TRS Floyd Rose style bridge 1 piece maple neck, maple headstock, rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets, wizard II specs Hard case, 2 allen wrenches and a truss rod adjustment tool // 8

Sound: My music style is basicaly rock/punk, and most RGs would fit that playing style. I'm using it with a Marshall G10MK.II practice amp, and a BOSS OS-2 compact pedal. The only flaw i noticed was that the V8 was slightly noisy and muddy if i didnt plug it through the effects, but i reckon its OK with the effects in. Since the body is basswood, the sounds are bright, but the V7 pickup can produce some fat sounding sounds if i plug it through the effects. Without effects, youre stuck with the 3 pickups, with the V7 humbucker having a deeper and richer tone, whilst the V8 has a bright sounding tone. The S1 single is OK, but it isnt the greatest; I dont like it very much, so i hardly use it. positions 2 and 4 can produce quite a clean sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar wasnt set up at the factory, it was set up at the dealer. Frankly, it was pretty terrible, with the only thing that was done properly being the intonation and the pickup height. I put up with some pretty high action for about a week, and took it apart myself using tutorials to set it up. The bridge angle was done badly; it was forward dumped. The body routings were OK, but a bit off; the bridge had 1mm clearance on oen side, and 3-4mm on the other side. The rest was absolutely great, despite the cosmo black finishing was a little whack on the bridge. Also, teh bridge, being a Lo-TRS, goes out of tune pretty badly after some whammy bar use, I'd go buy an original floyd rose or an Ibanez Edge/Lo-Pro Edge to replace it some day. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar live at school, and it does fine at it. The hardware should last, but I'm not to keen on the cosmo black finishing on the bridge, it looks like it could flake off any day. I could depend on this guitar; well, its more like i have to, since its my only guitar. I dont think it woudl let me down for a long while. I guess i could use it on a gig without a backup, I dont see how it would suddenly render itself unuseable at the moment. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a little more than one and a half years, and i currently own a practice amp along with a distortion pedal I bought this guitar whilst it was on sale, and I was on a pretty tight budget at that time. The original price was $3800HKD. If it were stolen or lost, i wouldn't go wiht teh Ibanez RG 4XX series, I'd go get a 5xx series with a proper trem; the Lo-TRS, frankly sucks. When i bought it, i had compared it to a RG550 which was also on sale at the time, but my funds didn't allow me to buy the 550. It's not a bad guitar at all, but with most Ibanez low/mid range models, its let down by the trem. For the price i got it at, i reckon it was fantastic value. // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: cmac_the_great, on march 28, 2005

Features: I purchased my Ibanez RG470 on eBay as an upgrade from an old Strat I used to play. I have absolutely fallen in love with this guitar. Features include a 24 jumbo fret Wizard II neck, 3 Dimarzio pickups, a five way channel selector, one volume knob, one tone knob, and a floyd rose LO-trs locking tremolo bridge. All wrapped up in a metallic blue finish. Sweet! // 10

Sound: This guitars rich sound fits my classic rock style and much more. In fact, I dont think I've ever played a more versatile guitar. You can do anything with it. The body is basswood, which provides a rich tone thats easy to play with. Add on the Floyd Rose tremolo bridge for some really insane dive-bombs and you just can't go wrong in the sound department. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is wonderful, with only perhaps a small gripe. Ibanez's are very well made guitars, but because of the Floyd Rose bridge, they can be a pain for the un-experienced. You have to make sure that the bridge is zeroed on the knifepoint or you may get buzz (if its too low) or it may become difficult to play (if its too high) but if its zeroed, it'll be so easy to play youll almost cry. Beside that, everything is great. The Dimarzios are wonderful as is just about everything else. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will never fail you sound wise. However, as most Ibanez guitars, it is a wee bit delicate. The finish is a little thin which has resulted a few chips for me, but I can't complain. Besides theyre not really noticible anyway. Even still I would trust this guitar with my life so it still deserves a 5. I would take this guitar to any gig with me as long as it doesnt involve smashing it! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is my perfect match. It's a real beauty. I've been playing for 4-5 years now and have loved every minute I've spent playing this thing. Some of my other gear includes an old Strat I played for while, a Crate amp I bought off a friend which I also love, and a few effect pedals. Above all this thing is my gem. If it were ever stolen I would find the scumbag that took it, duct tape him to chair and beat to death with his own arm! This a great guitar with only a few flaws. The finish is really all you have to look out for along with the complexity of the floyd rose LO-trs bridge. Over all, a great buy. // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 30, 2005

Sound: This guitar is very versatile. I plated jazz, metal, and rock with it. It only get noisy when you put it on the middle pick up (single-coil). But the middle pick up sounds great with a clean sound the pick ups are inf1/infs1/inf2. The 2 humbuckers give a good punch and can make a variety of sounds. From heart-piercing distortion to soul-moving blues to mellow chords. Overall the sound is great. I have a Crate GFX65 amp and a Ibanez TB15D amp it sounds the best through the crate even without my Zoom 3030. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was perfect when I got it the paint seems a bit thin. The middle pickup was a bit high that was easily fixed the guitar was in tune and had new strings on it. The trem was blocked by the previous owner but the people at song bird took care of that. The only bad thing is when usuing the bar alot it tends to loosen but I don't mind. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of rock and heavy metal and have been doing so for almost 3 years. I don't regret buying this guitar and would buy it again if the price was as good as I got. I love the neck and ation and it stays in tune! The only set back is the bar loosens sometimes. I compared it to more expensive Ibanez guitars but I fell in love with this one. // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 22, 2005

Purchased from: Musique Richard

Features: Japanese made. Very well put together. 24 jumbo frets. Basswoood body. Very tidy construction. The neck is very good. Nice and shallow and ridiculously fast for lead playing. It's basically a super-Strat design. Very nice elegant design I think. Metallic blue is very nice. The licenced Floyd Rose seems great to me. Again, a nice solid feel to this also. 5-way Switch. The bridge humbucker (Ibanez stock pickup) sounds great to me. It's got plenty of power and it's got quite smooth bite too. Very satisfying for high gain playing. // 10

Sound: It's basically a shredding guitar, but its capable of a nice range of convincing sounds. The bridge pickup is best. Full whack its sustain will last far beyoned what you actually need if you need to hold a note for ages. It's got a lovely stitting bite too. Loads of power and lovely for sweeping leads. The excellent neck will speed up your playing very noticeably too! It's great. Roll back the volume and you can get nice early AC/DC type sounds and at low volume you can get nice clear bleusy sounds. The volume controls gain more than actual loudness, which is just what I like. The middle pickup is single coil. Not a bad Strat sound from this one! Quite good really! Nice classic bluesy sounds and Gilmore type sounds possible too. All controlled by the volume knob. I never use the neck humbucker, but its clearer than on most gutiars I've owned. I've owner two Gibson LP customs. This is better built! Yes! it plays faster, and the neck is better. I played metal on the LP's and they're not as fast. Time moves on. Technology changes. These guitars are better than the classics. Like a Yamaha up against a Harley Davidson. The Harley looks lovely, but which one is going to perform better on virtually every point. Anyway, I'm getting boring etc. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Lovely tight setup. Pickups fine. Everything nice, tight and well put together. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Veryt versatile guitar. I'd take it anywhere. I own a 1970's Strat, and its better than this too. The basic design is so good, I expect it to last. If it gets rough looking it will still be a beautiful instrument to play. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles. It's best as a metal shredder, but could even be used for jazz lead playing. I've been palying for 25 years. I'd definitely buy another one if lost or stolen. Whatever the new model is, I'd buy it. What I love I said already. I definitely don't dislike anything about it. It's great! // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2005

Purchased from: Holze Music

Features: Japanese made in 2001 or 2002. 24 jumbo frets. Basswood body and rosewood neck. The original finish was a blue-green sparkle, I have since used a butane torch to burn most of the finish off (it's my guitar, I can do that). Licensed floyd rose locking tremolo. Passive yet suprisingly hot electronics. Volume, tone, 5-way selector. V7 hum in bridge, S1 sc in middle, V8 hum in neck. Gotoh tuners. Deluxe hardshell case included. // 9

Sound: I like to play a broad spectrum of style, and the RG470 can accomodate anything I play on it. the bridge humbucker has the straight up metal superhot tone needed for heavy rock/metal playing. The S1 single coil produces some very nice, almost jangly, Strat-type tones without the noise of a Strat and just a little fuller than a Strat. Very warm les paul tones out of the V8 neck humbucker. Great for heavily articulated tremolo picking passages. I have played this guitar through a variety of amps, Marshall, Peavey, VHT, Line 6 and others, I have been very pleased with the guitars performance on all of these amps. The tone, however, stands out a lot more when played through a tube amp. The V7 is a little noisy but that is to be expected from a passive that is as hot as the V7. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar and didn't know anything about how to take care of a floyd, so of course, I proceeded to unknowingly fuck it up. However, a few months ago I took it to a local shop to get the guitar reset and it has played like a dream since. Smooth action with no intonation problems. I can do Steve Vai-esque maneuvers with the tremolo arm and the guitar stays perfectly in tune. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar for countless gigs since getting it reset and it has withstood some pretty horrible treatment thus far. It has been through a butane torch and it has been dropped numerous times from me being drunk and jamming. The hardware is all in good shape, the knobs come loose every now and again, but that is easily fixed. I would never use any guitar on a gig without a backup, especially not this guitar because it has a floyd, but it is my main guitar. My backup was more expensive than the RG470 but the Ibanez just plays and sounds better. // 9

Overall Impression: The guitar is a perfect match for me, regardless of what music I am playing. I can pretty much coax any sound out of it that I want. I have been playing for 12 years and have gone through numerous guitars until I fount this little gem. I just wish that I would have know more about Floyd Rose tremolos before I bought it. // 9

RG470 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2007

Features: This Ibanez was made in 2000, it has 24 frets the neck is a bit thinner than my Jackson's and also it's really flat still not completely used to it. It has a Rosewood fretboard which is okay the neck is maple, the body I'm not totally sure it might be Basswood. It has an old finish called Titanium Ice that actually looks purple. The bridge is the Lo-TRS Tremolo licensed by Floyd Rose(had to change the springs ugh). The pickups are stock V8/S1/V7 H/S/H setup, there is one volume knob and one tone knob, 5-way selector Switch I am not too sure about the tuners but they seem to do what they need to do and do a good job of it. // 9

Sound: I usually play all sorts of metal, sometimes classic rock, sometimes classical, jazz, or blues, it works for all of them like when I turn everything up this is my loudest guitar which is totally awesome. The sound you can get from this thing is insane you can actually get almost any sort of tone for whatever music you play. I also mainly use this on my Peavey Bandit 112 100 watt which gives all my guitars a sick sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I did buy it used so I don't know how the factory setting is like and as soon as I brought it home a string broke and I had to setup the guitar completely (plus the fact that this is my first locking trem it was fun). So basically I had to re-adjust everything from the pickups to the bridge. Everything is mainly properly in place just had to fix a few things up like the springs and all other than that the guitar was perfect I have the action to my liking and everything. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well I haven't played Live yet but I know it's durable because I play for about 5 hours almost everyday. Everything on this guitar is completely solid, the only I would worry about is the trem goin out of tune when I use it since that's like the only thing I've been having trouble with, but so far it's been going pretty well with it and it hasn't lost it's tuning. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar will stay with me for a while even though I wish it was a 570 or a 550 it's a good start for someone whom is new to the Locking Tremolo system seeing as this is my first guitar with it. If it was stolen (which won't happen. I keep this thing in my sights all the time same with my other guitars). I would probably find and kill the guy whom did it since this model is discontinued and pretty hard to find well for me anyways, but it works well with my guitar setup Jackson King V KVX10 (with EMG's) and my Les Paul I'd have to say my King V and this are almost pretty even the V has the pickups and the Ibanez the trem and I wish it had the original Wizard neck but still it was a great find for me. // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: Ryte, on september 17, 2007

Purchased from: Lakeland Music

Sound: I bought this guitar because when I played it through the amp at the shop the sound was amazing. I figured maybe it was just the amp, but I tried several of the amps in the store and it didn't effect how awesome it sounded. I play it through Line 6 Spider II amp and I haven't found a guitar that sounds better to me yet. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is very well put together. I found no flaws in the way it plays. The neck is thin and fast. The hardware is securely attached and the holes are routed out perfectly. The body cut isn't in the way and it's fits comfotably with my style of playing. The body is light weight and the strap buttons are slightly larger than others, letting the strap stay on better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will deffinately take some abuse. I try to take very good care of my guitars, but my younger brother unfortunatly has no respect for them what so ever. This guitar has be dropped and knocked into several walls and doors. This guitar is my main stage guitar. I wouldn't choose any other. It stays in tune wonderfully and feels sturdy and secure while I play. // 10

Overall Impression: I play several styles of music, classical, punk, metal, blues, and other various emo/screamo/hardcore genres. This guitar is versital in all those genres. I've been playing 13 years now and I haven't found another guitar that feels as good and sounds as good as this one. If this guitar was stolen I would personally try to track it down, but if I couldn't find it, I would deffinately try to buy a new one or a used one. The RG470 is my favorite out of my collection and one of the best guitars I have ever played. // 10

RG470 Reviewed by: Robbin'TheHood, on october 21, 2010

Features: Year: Built in '96 in Korea Features: 24 Jumbo Frets, Wizard III Neck, Floyd Rose Tremelo, Passive Pick-ups, 1 Volume control, 1 Tone control, 5-way selector, Basswood body Pick-ups: H-S-H; Standard issue The Wizard III neck is very thin and perfect for solos and movable barre chords. // 9

Sound: This guitar can suit most styles. I mainly play Rock, Ska, New Wave, Punk, and Post-Punk. It perfectly suits all these styles. And like most Ibanez's this guitar is excellent at metal. I play it through a Johnson Reptone 15 Amp and use a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion Pedal. The Neck p-up's a bit muddy; I hardly ever use it. The middle has a nice clean almost Strat like tone; It's perfect for Ska and New Wave. The Bridge Pick-up is best for Punk and metal, due to it's high gain. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this from a guitarshop, where they had re-painted it, cleaned it, and adjusted it. It did have a little rust in the screw heads and on the pickups, but I scraped it off. Otherwards the guitar was fine. There wasn't any cosmetic or opperational flaws. This guitar has excellent action, almost too low. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable; I would gig it without a backup. This guitar is fourteen years old with all of it's original hardware still working properly. The Strap buttons are very solid, I've never dropped it. The finish has lasted very well so far, but it was just painted on 6 months ago... // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is excellent for my style of music; Punk, Ska, New Wave, etc. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again, or I'd buy an Ibanez S470. The main thing I dislike about this guitar is that the volume knob controls gain more than volume and if turned on full will overdrive almost any amp. The best thing about this guitar is that by changing pick-ups you can quickly adjust the tone/gain. Overall a very good guitar for the price. // 9

RG470 Reviewed by: smokeysteve22, on april 27, 2011

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: Left handed Japan made 24/Jumbo frets, bolt on Wizard II rosewood neck Basswood body with a black finish Superstrat style body Lo TRS tremolo bridge V series pick-ups with the S1 (single coil) in the middle 5 way selector, Volume and Tone knobs Ibanez tuners I got this guitar with a hard case, it was a price I couldn't refuse. // 8

Sound: I'm using a modded valveking 100 head with a bad monkey and Boss eq. I play mostly post hardcore, hardcore to Post rock and this guitar sounds great for it, I mostly use the Bridge pick-up (V8) for rhythm and neck (V7) for leads. I dislike how the single coil sounds alot, but the pick-up config is very versatile for a great range of sounds. Considering the pick-ups are stock they sound great and I love the warmth of the V8 over the EMG's in my ESP. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: After receiving the guitar, I did block the tremolo because it was alot of hassle. The action is perfect on this guitar, really low with no fret buzz. Setting Intonation was fine and Everything was good to go. The lock nuts hold the guitar in tune for days. Very sturdy and soild. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with guitar without a backup because I feel confident it would hold up very well but I always take a backup. Straps buttons are soild and the Bridge feels soild to last. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for money, feels really nice to play and the neck is so comfortable. The pick-ups sound great giving you rich tones. I would change the Bridge though, I'm not a tremolo guy but this guitar was a steal for the price. I would buy another one if this was stolen or get a prestige. I really love this guitar though. // 9

RG470 Reviewed by: StonedColdCrazy, on may 04, 2012

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Kijiji

Features: Made in Japan in 2000. 24 frets 25.5 scale on a rosewood board with an aanj bolt on RG550 maple neck. Basswood body originally in a sparkly pink, has been repainted as a neon green/ black frankenstrat. Japan made Lo-Trs double locking tremolo bridge. H/s/h with a 5 way and aftermarket DiMarzio Crunch Lab/LiquiFire humbuckers and stock s1 single coil. Japanese made tuning heads, manufacturer unknown. // 7

Sound: I play thrash metal, hair metal, punk, pop, rock, and a bit of shred. This guitar suits all these styles quite well. I play through either a Blackstar HT-5 or a Pod X3 with a wah and OD. This guitar is actually pretty bassy in comparison to my other RG's, and I cannot quite figure out why its got so much low end. The crunch lab copes well and can get a nice thick crunch when needed and a sweet, not overly bright bell like tone in the upper register. The LiquiFire is pure warm fluid sex. Very similar to the Air Norton and is great for smooth flowing leads and cleans up for chording very well. My favorite neck pickup to date. This guitar has fantastic sustain and resonance. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar used and in horrible condition. It is one solid peice of basswood for the body and was blemish free, very nice cut of wood. Fretwork is pretty decent, nothing to complain about there. The G string saddle is quite low, so much so I've considered shimming it, but doesn't affect anything negatively. // 8

Reliability & Durability: First and foremost the bridge posts are very very soft metal. They were gouged very deep all around. The bridge itself is actually really nice contrary to popular belief and the knife edges are still perfect. All the hardware has been upgraded, the original pots were junk. The original finish was strong as hell and took forever to sand off. Strap buttons are small and cheap, need locks for sure. I would gig this without much worry as the bridge has been blocked so I can freely change between tunings. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 6 years and own 2 other Rg's. An RG370DX and a J-Custom RG8570Z. I love the neck on this guitar, thin and fast D shape. It is slightly thicker than the wizard 3, but feels great in hand. I would buy another right now if it was for a similar price. I just sold an RG1570 prestige and this guitar, beside the bridge and tuners, is its equal. Great every day player and solid workhorse. Only major flaw is the cheap bridge posts. I wish it had an edge pro bridge, but it is very nice to have a 'hardtail' Rg to avoid setup hassles. For about 325$ all together it is fantastic and I truly enjoyed fixing it up. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014