RG4EXFM1 Review

8.5
 8.3
reviews (6) pictures (2) 41 comments vote for this gear:
RG4EXFM1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 22, 2008

Features: The guitar was made in Indonesia and it has 24 frets. The neck is really thin, perfect for playing, with nice maple wood. It's a solid top, the body is basswood and it has a nice flamed maple top finish in either blue or grey transparent gloss. The RG4EXFM1 is equipped with a Floyd Rose style bridge(Edge III) and with the aid of a locking nut, you can divebomb so much without even getting 1 string slightly out of tune. There is a knob for volume, tone and a 5-way selector. The pickups give a nice tone with 2 humbuckers and a single coil in the middle which gives you many choices for the right tone you need, the bridge pickup is an Ibz Inf4, middle Infs3 and Neck Inf3. When I bought this guitar it came with some tools for adjusting the pickups/locking nuts and a cable. // 10

Sound: I mainly play rock and some metal it was perfect for me. I don't have a good setup, my amp is a little Spider III 15 Watt it goes pretty loud and I also have a DigiTech RP90 plugged through my amp so I have more than preset settings. This guitar has the perfect sound, I can hear every little move I make when I go down the fretboard, the middle pickup has a nice clean tone and the neck pickup has great pinch-harmonic response. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up perfectly I didn't have to change anything. The pickups were perfectly raised. There was nothing wrong with this guitar.. As for the finish there was only small scratches which aren't a problem, most guitars has at least 1 scratch somewhere. Overall perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For a $450 guitar it has to be reliable. I haven't played Live but I'm sure it will because I stand and walk around with it with my garage band, the strap hasn't failed me yet and it would serve good as my guitar without a backup. The finish looks like it will last forever it still looks newly painted. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I mostly play rock and metal and it is perfect RG's are always perfect for that genre. I've been playing a little over a year and I own a Ibanez RG120, some cheap Strat and a cheap Les Paul. If this was stolen from me I would buy it again, but of course the first thing I would do is hunt down Who stole it and take their gear and my guitar back. I love everything about this guitar especially the locking nut. The only thing I was I had was a bigger and stronger amp, a 15 Watt doesn't seem good for a expensive guitar. // 10

RG4EXFM1 Reviewed by: HALOMUFFIN, on april 09, 2010

Features: In December of 2008, I got this guitar as a Christmas present and thoroughly enjoyed it at first, but problems began to surface months in. But first, I'm not sure what year it was made but it was made in Indonesia so its an import model. It has a 24 fret Rosewood fretboard with sharktooth inlays and boasts an extremely thin(Wizard II) 3 piece maple neck, as is kind of Standard for many Ibanez models. A flashier Strat style basswood body with a blue, flamed-maple top. 5-way pickups selector, 1 volume and 1 tone. It came with an Ibanez Edge III, floating bridge and locking nut, stock Ibanez tuners and pickup in an H-S-H configuration. Stock Ibanez strings, I believe they are 9-42 gauges so they are pretty damn thin. It came with a few allen wrenches, an extra spring, and a really crappy cable. // 8

Sound: I generally play hard rock or heavy metal and the guitar is visually suited for that style but the pups are meh. I have it coming through a Marshall MG30DFX combo amp(meh as well), but the pickups are pretty muddy. I find that harmonics of any type(tap, pinch, or natural), don't quite leap out. The pickups are petty noisy too, especially the single coil in the middle, and even though that is a pretty Standard trait of single coil pups, these are particularly noisier than the rest. As for everything else, like legato or staccato playing, they bridge and neck pickup, respectively, handle that pretty well. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is probably my biggest problem with the guitar, definitely a fair amount of problems with the factory setup. I'll first point out that the bridge and middle pickup were freakishly high. I don't really dig in that much with my pick and I still wound up hitting the pickups like crazy. Then I had a problem with dead notes. Frets 7-11 on the low E would buzz something fierce, the worst was the 12th fret on the same string, which would just die, there goes checking for proper intonation. I adjusted the action but it still didn't help, so I filed down the fretwire on the 13th fret of the low E and it sort of fixed my problem. Then the worst involved the bridge. Don't get me wrong, I love Floyd Rose style bridges, but the Edge III has horrible tuning stability, and sorts of dive-bombs or pull-ups and I gotta fix it again, any high bends, same thing. To add to this problem, when I got the guitar, THE BRIDGE WAS ALREADY DIPPED INTO THE BODY OF THE GUITAR. I just wound up giving it to guitarcenter which costs me $70. The bridge got so problemtaic that I just wound up hard-tailing it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've played live with this guitar a fair amount of times and it's been good to me each time, just the bridge is god awful so I never used it after the first few times I played live. I would definitely bring a backup(no offense, but you're an idiot if you don't, what are you gonna do, tell everyone to wait once your string breaks!? ) The finish is beautiful but durable, I've dropped it three times and I've checked thoroughly and there are still no scratches or dings on it. // 9

Overall Impression: Its serves kinda well to hard rock and heavy metal, but pickup swaps are pretty much a must if you want better tone out of it. I also own a little Fender Frontman 15W, its pretty good for a little, cheap, combo amp. A Schecter Tempest Custom, and recently purchased a Charvel So-Cal, Style 1 2H. I've been playing for a little over 2 years now but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when I describe it. If it were stolen or lost, I would like it back, but I wouldn't be a big baby about it. Though I do have my problems with it, there is still something about it that makes it a joy to play, the neck is extremely comfortable though I personally prefer chunkier necks like the Schecter and Charvel necks due to my larger hands, its still a joy to play and once I get the pickups swapped, I definitely will enjoy it even more. // 8

RG4EXFM1 Reviewed by: Snickers Bowman, on june 05, 2009

Features: Made in Indonesia, 2008 24 Jumbo frets 5-way Switch with one volume, one tone H/S/H configuration Stock INF series passive pickups Basswood body,3 piece maple neck, and rosewood fretboard Transparent blue quilted maple top with matching headstock Full body, neck, and headstock binding Strat style body Chrome hardware Edge III double locking bridge Gotoh design tuners Dark Rosewood fret board, from a distance kind of looks ebony. Overall great features, the only problem I've had so far is with the tramolo bar and that's only because I don't really care for them. // 9

Sound: My style of music is any form of metal and rock, with some instrumental. It fits perfectly with my style because not only does it look B.A. but its easy to slide up and down the neck for the many slides I do. I use a Line 6 Spider III, and a Peavey Windsor and they sound amazing with it. The sound is so clear and crisp that you can hear every little detail with my music. Great variety of sounds because of the 24 frets and the tremolo bar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Great condition, no scratches, set up perfect. Pickups are adjusted properly. Every thing with this guitar as far as the way it was built is great. No flaws that I can see or hear. The locking nut is great especially for how long it takes for tuning. The inlays on the fretboard match the guitar perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great for Live playing. Doesn't scratch very easily and the scratches that are on it are because of me being stupid. Strap buttons are very solid but if you buy straplocks for it make sure the screws fit because I bought ones that the screws were too small. You can definitely depend on this guitar greatly, in fact, I use it as my main guitar. The finish doesn't wear, atleast it hasnt for me and Ive had it for about a year and a half. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall impression is that it's perfect for me, atleast so far. I've been playing for about 7 1/2 years now and I haven't found a better guitar. I would more than likely buy it again if it were stolen because I don't think I'd lose it. I love the extra frets because then it feels more like a bass because the neck is longer. I don't really like the tremolo bar but that's just me, but if I had to chose any guitar with a tremolo bar I'd choose this one. // 9

RG4EXFM1 Reviewed by: Ghettø Metäl, on august 31, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center NYC

Features: New guitar manufactured in Indonesia. 24-frets with a fast neck -- the back of the neck isn't glossy. 5 position switch with humbuckers in the bridge and neck position and a single-coil in the middle. It's a black/gray combo with natural woodgrain (and unusual burst pattern). Edge III tremolo. I think the body is basswood and the frets maple, but am not sure. I'll rate it a five only out of ignorance of what to compare it to. My only other electric guitar really sucked! // 5

Sound: I use it with a Vox 15 watt modeling amp and it gets a surprisingly wide array of sounds. I mostly use the California style metal setting with lots of gain and add in a little reverb. i.e. It sounds FANTASTIC even on a tiny amp, is easy to play and is inspiring me to play more. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is a great guitar for a beginner, because it's super easy to play -- fast movement on the frets, strings are nicely located all along the neck and a thin neck that suits my hands well. I believe it's a maple neck (unfinished back) with a laminated basswood body. The frets have those magnificent "sharktooth" inlays, which I love to look at while I play. I'm not an expert on palm-muting or anything, but it seems a little tricky with the Edge III (especially on the bottom three strings. I'm still learning. There were some minor flaws and dings -- especially around where the metal frets are set in. Some of the components appear cheaply installed and there are tiny annoyances like the cheap plastic knob on the pickup Switch. Obviously this was put together in a factory. The finish isn't bad and there are some flaws in obscure locations, but again you can tell that it was mass-produced. The cutaways are pretty well done too and look cool -- even diabolical. Frets 20-24 are still a little tricky for my reach, but the extra room is nice. Haven't detected any electrical problems at all. Overall, the guitar is amazingly playable and beautiful to look at. It didn't need an initial reconfiguration or tune-up. I carried it out of the store on the day I first saw it and it plays great today. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I didn't buy this to perform and have no experience performing so take what follows with a grain of salt ... No reason to believe it couldn't withstand years and years of Live playing. It is a well built, mass market guitar whose flaws are mostly minor and cosmetic. The finish seems good, although I'm already noticing some minor wear on the fret wood. Strap buttons are tiny and may be a problem. Now the Edge III -- If you break a string on this guitar, you'll need at least two tools to replace it and a lot more time than you would on a guitar without a locking tremolo. That being said, it almost never goes out of tune. The whammy bar is kind of clumsy the way it's attached and unless you lock it into place with an allen wrench (and probably need to remove it for hard cases), it WILL fall off. // 6

Overall Impression: I play loud, hard styles of rock: metal, punk, funk, etc. This is an excellent choice for those styles. A great toy! I don't play blues or folk or "Acoustic" styles so I can't comment on its viability for those. I'm a novice who's been playing for a long time, but want to get more serious. I have a Yamaha Acoustic guitar which I don't like at all and use a Vox 15W modeling amp. The issue for me when buying this was weather to get the tremolo. Since I never really used one, I almost didn't get it. I knew in advance about the pains of tuning and changing strings. In the end, the guitar sounded and played better in my hands than any of the other models I played that didn't have tremolos (e.g. a Schecter I was interested in). So I just keep the whammy bar off most of the time and will attach it when it's needed. **It almost never goes out of tune.** So far, I have no major complaints about this and would buy it again easily. I think that there's not much of a quality difference between this and some of the guitars I played that cost 2x as much. This just felt better and I love the sound -- it inspires me to play more. At some point, the whole locking tremolo thing might end up getting on my nerves but it hasn't yet. Overall: YEAH. Great axe. Nice looking. Great sound. Good feel. // 8

RG4EXFM1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2009

Features: This is a 2009 made in indonesia. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with a 3-piece maple neck and a 25.5 inch scale. The bolt on neck with its cutaway is easy access to the frets. It has a solid flamed maple top with a basswood body and a transpaent greybust finish with transparent grey on the back and sides, with black plastic cavity covers and metal dome knobs with chrome mounting rings. It is a superstrat body style, with the RG's more pointed horns, and an edge III double locking bridge. It has an INF3 humbucker in the neck, an INFS3 single-coil in the middle, an INF4 in the bridge, and a 5-way pickup selector Switch. It has a 1-vol,1-tone configuration. Its tuners are Ibanez die cast and it has a Floyd Rose style locking nut. It came with a tremolo bar and 2 allen wrences for the tremolo. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal and shred, but adapt well to any style exept for rap and country. This guitar can handle most styles of music well, and has a very defined tone that is especially well suited to more lead and virtuosic styles. I mostly use it with my line six spider 3 15 watt, but have also used it through a peavy valve king and vyper, Bugera 6260, and a Marshall JCM 2000. I typically use a little reverb and slight (very slight) delay. This guitar works its best at overdriven and distorted settings, however it can do cleans very nicely. It has good treble response, with a very distinctive midrange bark. Its bass response is very sensitive, and you may have to play with your knob to get just the right amount. It is a very versitile guitar, but the pickups leave alot to be desired. They are at times noisy, feedback often, and tend to muddy as more midrange or distortion is added. I am going to replace them soon with a set of Seymour Duncan blackouts, which cleared up these problems when I used them on my other guitar. Its sound is good after some tweaking, but the pickups were dissapointing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came set up remarkably well, with the only problem initially being a loose input jack. The pickups were adjusted well, even if they are crap. The top was bookmatched correctly, and the finish has only accrued light pick scratches since i got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar at two gigs, it held up well, stays in tune, and I can depend on it. I never gig without a backup. I replaced the small strap buttons immediately. The chrome parts of the hardware are extremely durable, but the black panted parts wear down to the copper after extended playing. The pole pieces on the stupid pickups have rusted to quickly, though this may be due to my overly sweaty hands. // 6

Overall Impression: This is great lead guitar, but I would reccomend replacing the pickups with your prefered ones as soon as possible. I have been playing for about 3 years, and have had a Gibson SG Special and a V I made myself. If this guitar were stolen I would buy it again, or I might save up for a Higher end prestige model. I love its inherent sound, but I hate the pickups in it. My favorite feature is the tremolo, even if it takes some extra effort to re string. // 7

RG4EXFM1 Reviewed by: nitroguitarist, on november 02, 2009

Features: Body Type: Solid Body Wood: Basswood Top Wood: Flamed Maple Neck Joint: Bolt On Neck Wood: Maple 3pc Fretboard: Bound Rosewood Neck Shape: U Frets: 24 Inlay: Sharktooth Nut Width: 43mm Fretboard Radius: 400mmr Bridge: Edge III Pickup Bridge: Ibz Inf4 Pickup Middle: Ibz Infs3 Pickup Neck: Ibz Inf3Tuners: Die-Cast Finish: Transparent Gloss // 10

Sound: Classic rock and any other type of rock/metal and it sounds great. I use it through a Raven RG60 and a Dunlop crybaby and on occasion a Boss MT-2 for more sustain. It sounds great. My bridge p-up is great and the clean almost sounds like an Acoustic when on the neck or middle p-up and adjust the tone knob. it has a 5-way selector so I can get a country twang on clean and a Rockin lead. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine off the display and it was still amazing. The action is low because of the Floyd Rose remake but no comlaints there. The finsh was what caught my eye in the first place it's a transparent grey and it's beautiful. Even though the guitar was on display I didn't find any flaws with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live play definitely. The hardware will last and the strap buttons are great as well. It's dependable but I like having an second guitar just for safe purpose, but if I wasn't so cautious I would use it with out a back up. It's reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression. This guitar suits my style pretty well. This guitar is great though I will Switch out the p-ups for Seymour Duncans though. If it were stolen I would buy it again. Great guitar wish the stock p-ups were better but oh well.Overall Impression. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014