RG4EXQM1 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/30/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG4EXQM1
The guitar can get all of the tones you want. I chose this one because the rest of the guitars around the same price range were nothing compared to it.
 7.7
 8.2
 7.1
review (1) pictures (5) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RG4EXQM1 Reviewed by: HGaniere, on october 30, 2012

Features: The guitar was made in Indonesia in the year 2010. It has 24 Jumbo Frets, Laminate top with Quilted Maple. The wood of the body is Basswood while the neck woods Rosewood on top of 3 piece maple. The finish is a transparent grey burst on top of quilted maple. The shape of the body is an average RG shape with an Edge III bridge and Passive electronics. The controls are given as 1 Volume, 1 Tone and a 5 way switch. The pickup configuration is Humbucker Bridge, Single Coil Middle, and Humbucker Neck. The model of pickups are Ibanez INF4, INFS3 and INF3. The tuners are non locking with a locking nut made by Ibanez. // 8

Sound: I play mostly Progressive Metal like Dream Theater and Rush. The guitar can get all of the tones you want. I only have one problem with it. The Bridge Humbucker is a little too weak for my tasting. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt amp. The only effects I use are on the multi-effect processor on the amplifier. It's not too noisy, The bridge screams the way you would want it to. There is no buzz or hiss in it. The Bridge gives you a nice bright sound, while the Neck and Middle give you a rich full sound. The kind of sounds the guitar can make are whatever you can put your mind to. It's good for leads mostly, but you can get that nice crisp blues tone if you wanted to. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set up from the factory. The action was nice and tight. It felt as if I was playing on butter. The pickups were finely adjusted. I made some tweaks to them later on because the pickups can be muddy under drop tuning's. The top is bookmatched very well. It has a nice distinct look by the way it fits the Bridge. The only flaws I've seen with the guitar were the pickups, but it's only because of my opinion about them. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never used the guitar live but I think it would hold up pretty well. It doesn't go out of tune easily. The hardware will defiantly make it through the night. The strap buttons won't give out. You can depend on it, but I would never play a gig without a backup. The finish looks the same just as the day I bought it, it won't wear off and is made to last. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Progressive Metal and it is a pretty good match. I've been playing guitar since the spring of 2009 so around 4 years. I own at least 7 other guitars. A Ibanez RG570, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Fender 12 String Acoustic, two Fender Stratocasters, and a Ibanez Destroyer/Iceman hybrid. If the guitar was to be stolen or lost I would try to buy it again even though it is a discontinued model. I love the reliability of it. I hate nothing about it but I do dislike the pickups. My favorite feature on the guitar is the Edge III bridge. I compare it all the time to my other guitars pretty much all of them. I chose this one because the rest of the guitars around the same price range were nothing compared to it. I only wish it had a nice set of DiMarzio pickups from stock. I later installed a Super Distortion to mine though.

// 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014