RG540 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/17/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG540
With its 24 frets on a beautiful rosewood scale it has a red metallic finish on the body, it has a licenced FR tremolo system, the old edge from Ibanez.
 7.3
 9.2
 5.4
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
RG540 Reviewed by: night-crawl3r, on october 17, 2005

Purchased from: Particular

Features: I bought this guitar few weeks ago from a guy on a forum here in Portugal, although he bought it back in the '90s (something like '94-'95, he didn't remembered). I'm assuming this guitar was made in '87 'cause of the sticker in the back F750357, made in Japan of course, were the good Ibanez are done, with its 24 frets on a beautiful rosewood scale it has a red metallic finish on the body, it has a licenced FR tremolo system, the old edge from Ibanez, now speaking of electronics this guitar rocks! The old owner told me this was an incomplete experience guitar, for a long time this has been a guitar to make experiments on the electronic part, originally it's a S/S/H that he transformed to H/S/H, the pickups he put in the guitar? A (pink) PAF Pro and a Steve's Special from DiMarzio, the single coil it's not working and I'll tell you why, it has a coil tap, with a push pull pot. // 10

Sound: I was looking for a FR electric guitar, and if possible, a ESP or a Ibanez, I got this one and it's great, I play a lot of things from metal, to not so heavy stuff and the coil tap really helps, it gives me 8 different combinations (not 10 because 2 of them repeat) from neck single coil to parallel humbucking it just has a tremendous variety of sounds, form warm tones to, clear and bright treeble, I have to give it a 10 on this category. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action? Well for a first real electric guitar, the action it's turning to be real great for me, as I play a lot of things, it's not to low to buzz when I play chords and it's no high to play solos stuff. As I said before it's a experiment guitar, and for the past 3 years nobody played it, so the frets were oxidized, the pots made a little noise but even after 3 years, with some turns it went away. The transformation he made to the guitar form making it a H/S/H from a S/S/H it's not at it's best, but honestly I don't care. Come on, it's a 18 year guitar with some heavy changes on it, I don't care for the scratches the paint flaws and the not so good hole he made to fit the PAF Pro on the neck. Despite all that, the arm was perfect, the bridge has a little pitting from palm mute on the hardware, not at her best but hey, 18 years and still kickin ass. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If this guitar, having 18 years, not being played for 3 years it's still with no flaws on the neck, arm or bridge, with no buzz on any fret, I think I will give this guitar to my son probably for him to star playing (I'm 22 by the way). It's here to last I'm sure of it. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play a lot of things covering a bunch of music styles, I think this guitars fits my needs like a glove, even not being a great player and never had music lessons I think I learned a lot along this 3/4 years I've been playing, having the enough time to choose the right guitar for me, I'm also a proud owner of a takamine G-series electro-acoustic guitar and a spanish classical guitar. I hope nothing wrong happens to this guitar 'cause I don't know when I could have something with so many extras again, from the great DiMarzio pu to the great electronic changes the old owner made to it, I could have this all off course, but I would have to pay to the guitar shop form them to do it. At this point I think it's great having a FR bridge, and those pu just so damm fine, being a Edge bridge, it's a little high brigde not the best for confortable playing, made before Vai "ordered" Ibanez to lower the bridge. The coil tap it's a must have and I surelly advice everyone to have one on his guitar. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014