RG550EX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/23/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG550EX
Made in 2001, Japan. Basswood body with a Silver Sand finish. 3 piece Super Wizard maple neck with rosewood fretboard, 24 jumbo frets. Single volume and tone pots. 5 way pickup selector, H-S-H pickup configuration.
 8.1
 9.1
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
RG550EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2004

Purchased from: Andertons - Guildford

Features: I'm not really too sure in which the year it was made. I bought I a year ago this month and the guy said this model has been discontinued so I'm guessing its not a new model. The guitar has a beautiful neck, its a 1pc maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and it boasts 24 jumbo frets. Also it has the locking tuners so trem use is so easy. The body is basswood so its quite weighty but nothing compared to a Strat! The bridge is a licesced floyd rose (not an original but hey). The pickups are V7(n) S1(m) V8(b). They sound awesome actually for quite cheap pickups. You only get one volume know and one tone knob so it really simple to get great sounds! Also you have the 5 way pickup selector. When I bought it I got the hard case and a whole set of alan keys! Of course they give you the tremolo arm too! My guitars colour is Galaxy Black (sparkly black). The scratchplate and the fret inlays are Copper coloured and look great! // 10

Sound: This guitar suits just about every style. I play mostly hardcore/emo like Atreyu and Funeral For A Friend. The sound is so versatile you can make it sing anything! I use it with a Digitech Metal Master and its so heavy it hurts. This pedal really brings out the pickups. The neck pickup gives a very bright sound allowing chunky palm muting and great solos. The bridge pickup has more bass to it and is also excellent for soloing. On clean the pickups give you great acoustic sounds. There is a bit of background noise with the metal master running with the guitar but nothing annoying! Pinched Harmonics fly out of this guitar! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came very well set up, at first I had no idea what anything was. It wasn't until my guitar teacher helped me out with everything that I understood my guitar. Anyway the pickups were at a fine height to begin with but I have since adjusted them slightly. The guitar was sold with the locking tuners undone so it came out of tune quite easily at first. No flaws were included on this guitar! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would (already have) gig with this guitar because the sound and look is too good to pass up! But never play this without a backup, if a string snaps on this guitar you are screwed! The guitar is generally very durable but unfortunatly I have managed to put a few dents in the paintwork. Unavoidable on any guitar really! The finish it very strong and hasnt shown any wear after a year of solid use. But the sweat from your hands is enough to take some of the colour off the bridge! // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for any style of music, I would recommend it to anyone wanting to play Hardcore to Metal because it has the look and the sound for it. I have been playing a good 3 years now and I have a Digitech XMM and a Marshall MG30DFX. If it was stolen I would murder the motherf--r and definantly buy another one. My favourite feature is the overall look of the guitar, its sexy but dangerous looking too! I could only wish that it had EMG's and possible led's in the frets! // 10

RG550EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 23, 2004

Purchased from: georges music...

Features: 2000 model, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood and maple neck, and gloss black finish. The RG has a Strat body style, with a floyd rose tremolo. No batteries, passive electronics, controled by 5-way selector and one volume and one tone knob. The 470 has a HSH pickup configuration, a V7, S1, V8. The tuners are non-locking and no accessories. // 8

Sound: Ibanez have always been known for makeing guitars that are best suited for metal/punk rock players, and this model help shape the metal/punk scene. I can't say enough about the great metal tones. I play it through a Peavey ultra head, and a 5150 cab and it just kills! The only downfall it has is the floyd rose. If you want to play C tunnings, or any drop tunnings you'll need to have someone set it up for you. All in all, it's ideal for anything from Metallica to Bluegrass! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play live with it, and it's never gave me any problems. If you do break a string live its better to have a back up, the floyd rose takes sometime to get use to. Strap buttons are are huge, so play as rough as you want. I've dinged it up a lot, but the finish stands up nice. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, it's just a good metal guitar. Standard E and D tunning, are what I use on it, the 24 frets are great for soloing, and the low end is unreal with 11's or 12's. If it were stolen, it would be missed! But I don't think I would buy it again because of the tremolo. At the time I bought it I played more punk, but as I grew as a player and learned about equipment, I just wanted something meaner. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014