RG560 Review

7.7
reviews (5) pictures (8) 6 comments vote for this gear:
RG560 Reviewed by: calires01, on july 04, 2005

Purchased from: pawn shop

Features: This is possibly the nicest RG I have ever played. It was made in Japan and a 1990 model. It was a rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets. It was the original wizard neck and the old style Ibanez binding neck plate. The body is of basswood, but I'm not to sure about the neck though. It has a deep, purpilish maroon color, almost red. It has a super-Strat body shape, and these older RGs have the cutaway different on the top part. It has an Ibanez Edge licensed floyd rose. It has a S/S/H configuration, and it comes with IBZS1 in the neck and middle, and an IBZV2 in the bridge. It comes with a 5-way Switch. The pickups are the only thing that hold this guitar back, they are weak, muddy, and noisy, like all Ibanez pickups to date. It has original grover Gotoh tuners, double locking trem. It did not come with a case, I had to go back to the pawn shop a week later, and they had the original custom Ibanez case, which I bought for 40 dollars. // 8

Sound: This guitar represents the shredder era of the late '80s. It was meant for metal and speed. It sounds amazing, I put a Seymour Duncan Full Shred pickup in the bridge, and it has a full, powerful disortion roar that I love. This guitar is meant for shred, I don't think this guitar would suit a blues or jazz player. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got htis guitar the finish was perfect, the action was perfect, it was just awesome. It had stayed great condition for the past 15 years, some had taken care of it. Sadly, I chipped it a little on the upper right side of the body, and the finish is extremly thick and weak, and the edges not smooth, so you should be careful with this guitar. Overall it looks amazing, but is not for the careless player, for you might lose the saddle blocks or the locking nuts. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is the best RG I have ever played, it sounds, looks and feels amazing. I use this for gigs without backup all the time. It has never failed me. I broke a string a few times and had to borrow a guitar, but aside from this, the guitar is the fine. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar rocks, this is truely my dream guitar. The 560 was discontinued in 1993, and are hard to find today, but still very inexpensive. from 200-500 dollars, depending on the condition, etc. If you want a guitar for metal and speed, look no furthur, the 560 is here for you. This is just an 550 with the S/S/H configuration. This is truely a steal, and I would not be surprised if in the future these became collectables and the value went up. // 10

RG560 Reviewed by: FadingRoots, on march 20, 2006

Purchased from: Bill's Music House

Features: My 560 is used, so I don't know its history. It's from between '87 and '89, but that's about all I know about it. Standard 560 fittings (H/S/S pickups, Edge trem, 5-way with vol and tone, Wizard neck), standard RG body. I put in straplocks after my strap died and came off the button (strap's fault, not the guitar, mind you - awful strap), which turned out to be a bad idea; the screws were ever so slightly smaller than the holes, so I have to tighten the new buttons two or three times a week. // 9

Sound: I've seen a lot of complaints about muddy or low tone outta the single-coils, but I have no complaints at all about the tone. I did raise the single-coils as high as I could get them without interfering with the strings, just to get me a better glam tone (I recently started a glam group, so I needed a good glam tone), but this guitar can do it all. Blues? Play it through the center or neck. Metal? Play it outta the bridge. Punk? Heck, play it outta anything. Anything in between? Flick a Switch and twiddle a knob, you've got it in seconds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Not sure how much work was done on this baby when I got it, but when I came into posession of it the action was, again, perfect. The only complaint in this section is numerous dings and one major chunk outta the guitar. This guitar mustve taken a beating over the years, cause I'm kinda rough with it and I've yet to hurt it at all. Except the big 'ol chunk outta the finish, courtesy my awful strap I had on it. The guitar managed to catch the edge of my amp at just the right angle to take a big ol piece off the corner of the finish. But other than that, I haven't managed to hurt this baby. // 9

Reliability & Durability: All I have to say is: if all I've managed to do to this baby is chip the finish, this can survive anything. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a bit of almost everything, and this guitar hasn't failed me yet. I wouldn't let anything happen to this guitar, and if I can find one I'll get another RG560 to go along with this one. I love the sheer versatility of this guitar, and the super-fast neck, and there is not one single thing I hate about this guitar. I played probably 50 guitars, even a Jem, and I like this guitar more than any of them. Yes, even more than the Jem. // 10

RG560 Reviewed by: Fenderexpx50, on august 15, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was made in Japan in 1987. It's a superstrat style guitar with a basswood body and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It has 24 frets of I'm guessing medium jumbo size. Hardware consists of an Edge double locking tremolo, decent sized strap buttons, and tuning machines. Online info leads me to think they're Gotoh, but there is no marking on them. So I can't really say on that. It has two single coils, in the neck and middle, and a humbucker in the bridge. I know they're just the stock pickups, I'm thinking IBZV1 singles and V2 humbucker, but I might be remembering wrong. It has a master tone and volume and a 5 way switch. And something else of note, I think it has a stereo jack already installed. // 9

Sound: I play a mix of metal, rock, and classical. But I can hear a lot of other influences too in there. Those are the main 3 anyway. Right now it just gets used through either a Vox Valvetronix for practice or a Fender Champ 25SE. I based the sound off of the Fender and the two pedals, a BBE Screamer and a 1980 MXR Distortion+. Clean, it was a little bassy. Didn't really have a nice rounded bottom end or a nice top end, but I know that's because of the body wood. Basswood is really mid heavy and tends to be slightly muddy at times. Not really the pickups fault. Distortion is where it sounds great and I mainly play with distortion anyway so this is good. Using the Bridge humbucker, it has a great growl to it. Great note definition, but it can blur slightly under the highest gain levels. But that's not bad at all for stock pickups. I don't play with that much, but I gave it a good go when testing. A nicely balanced pickup to my ears. Singles sound alright, but not awesome. They're more suited to an overdrive, not full on distortion. But I think that about singles, so that's just me. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm 24 years late to tell you how the factory had it. I had to adjust it to my preferences, but I do that to every guitar. No flaws I could find. There is a chip out of the wood in the top, but hell it's from '87. It happens. The routing for the Bridge is perfect too, not like on some cheaper guitars today. And there really is no rust on it either. It's been well taken care of before I got it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's 24 years old and looks like it's only a year or so old. Finish is still perfect, there's no real oxidation of the metal, everything still functions as it should. No warping either. There is some wear showing on the metal and some of the frets are worn higher up. Definitely shows this was built for shred. Someone probably tapped the hell out of it. I'd use it live. I'm trying to rebuild a gigging rig and this has a place in it. Can't comment on it's performance during a show though. And I'd have a few other guitars around. Not so much as backups. They can be backups, but more for different tones and tuning. But with any Floyd or Floyd equivalent, you always want to have a backup with you. One broken string means it's done until it's restrung. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a mix of stuff and it works well for me. I've been playing 13 years and it was bought after I sold an SG, so in a way, I guess it's a replacement for that guitar in a physical sense, not a sound sense. I love the 80's vibe it has. It plays great and stock, sounds awesome. I hope I can keep ahold of it. I've never seen another lefty before. I really can't find much I wish it had. Maybe a device that could automatically restring and tune the double locking tremolo in like 5 seconds. But aside from that, nothing really. I've played this thing every day since I've got it, save for one. And that was 2 months ago. I really got it because I had money in paypal and I knew these were somewhat rare. I love it and I see it being a part of my rig for as long as I'm not dead. // 9

RG560 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 27, 2012

Purchased from: Rock Shop

Features: My 560 was made in Japan I think in 1990. I bought it brand new. It has an awesome original Wizard Neck and the original Edge Tremelo. I immediately changed the bridge pickup to a DiMarzio FRED and love love love it. I left the stock single coils in it for several years of playing live in the early 90s. When I purchased a Reb Beach guitar I took one of the HOT Rails from that and put in the neck position and have never changed it. // 10

Sound: With my minor pickup modifications, it suits just about any style. I have played everything from Metallica to Rush to Pearl Jam to Zeppelin to Skynyrd - sat in with Jazz bands, Christian Rock, and Blues... It can adapt to anything... But really sound is in your fingers. I have used a Marshall JCM 900 for the last 20 years with various effects. Currently I use it with a Boss GT8 or GT10 (I go back and forth depending on what I am playing... Have created great Metal sounds on the GT8 and great clean Jazz sounds on the GT10. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it it was set up beautifully. Action was and always has been great. Stays in tune well for the last 20+ years and I have abused the whammy like you would not believe. GOTOH tuners. Thick paint on body with matching headstock has chipped through the years but only from relentless live playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have abused this guitar through over 20 years of playing. It flew through a kickdrum once and into a Marshall 4x12 another time when I flung it around my neck and still plays and sets up perfectly. It has been knocked off of risers before, dropped when straps come off. I call her Betsy and even though I have some wonderful higher end guitars, I always go back to her. // 10

Overall Impression: I have and do play just about every style. Currently I play a lot of Lincoln Brewster stuff (Eric Johnson sort of style) and I get an awesome sound. I have a lot of great guitars in my arsenal including a Nuno Bettencourt, Reb Beach, PRS, Fender HMM USA Strat, and a JS1000 but I always play this beat up RG560. I love it so much I am having a Luthier build me a custom one using the same specs just so I can have a brand new one to play. // 10

RG560 Reviewed by: Spectre13, on june 25, 2012

Purchased from: Jemsite member

Features: - What year was it made? Where was is made? 1992 Made in Japan - How many frets? Neck/Scale: 24 frets, thin Wizard neck - Solid-Top? Laminated top: solid - Body and neck woods? Basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard - Finish: Purple Neon - Body style: Super-Strat - Bridge style Ibanez Original Edge - Active or Passive electronics: Passive - Which controls are given: 1 volume 1 tone and 5-way lever switch - Pickup configuration? H-S-S, DiMarzio Tone Zone, DiMarzio Fast Track 2 and DiMarzio Chopper - Tuners: Gotoh - Any included accessories? Mine came with OHSC and a purple DiMarzio ClipLok strap // 10

Sound: Outstanding tone! As with all RG-500 series, this one is just as great. With the added pickups, I can get just about any tone I'm after. From nice low-end chugga chugga to sweet and singing cleans. I've run it through my Carvin Legacy, B-52 AT100, Epiphone Valve Jr and Dime Blacktooth - sounds great through all of them. It also sounds great plugged straight into my mixing board with effects. I use too many effects to list - everything from a variety of distortions/ODs, chorus, flanger to my homemade pedals. The pickups are not noisy at all - the DiMarzios are hum cancelling. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: These 560s are just like their other 500 series brothers. The action can be set super low, as I always set mine. I can set the action so low, that a business card barely fits between the frets and the strings - with NO fret buzz or fretting out. The neck to pocket fit is perfect on these. Finish? Well, mine's a Purple Neon - you all know how I am about my purple babies! Aside from the color, the finish is very durable. Of course, it's only as good as you treat it. The Edge trem is second-to-none. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I rely on my 500 series guitars for my everyday use, and this one is no exception. There's a reason they're sought after all these years later - THEY LAST! // 10

Overall Impression: - What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? Hard rock and metal - perfect match! - How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? 29 years and I own 36 Ibanez guitars and a ton of gear. - Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? No. - If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? I'd get another just like it. - What do you love about it? What do you hate? What is your favorite feature? I love the purple neon finish, the Wizard neck and the Ibanez Edge trem the most. - Did you compare it to other products? Which ones? Why did you choose this one? I'm an Ibanez collector, so I had to add an RG560 to the bunch. - Anything you wish it had? No - it's got everything I need. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014