RG570 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG570
24 Jumbo Frets. Solid Top. Volume and Tone Control, 5 Way Pickup Selector. Passive Electronics. Maple Neck. Rosewood Fretboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.2
reviews (7) pictures (5) 15 comments vote for this gear:
RG570 Reviewed by: Sn^ke, on march 13, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: If you're reading this you should already know most things about this guitar. One feature I particularly like is the huge strap buttons. I recently got a custom made strap and the holes on it were tiny. I had to cut it open to fit it on there, so I never ever worry about it falling off. I'll give it a perfect ten because it has everything I wanted in a guitar. // 10

Sound: Most Ibanez guitars seem to cover a wide range of musical styles, including what I play, which is most genres of metal. Recently I have been using it with a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV combo through some boss pedals and the sound is fantastic. But then again what wouldn't sound good on that amp. At first I had heard bad things about the stock pickups, but I find they're okay. For now anyway. They're not muddy or anything. But I hope to soon replace them with some Duncans perhaps. The only sound this guitar can't seem to get is a very sweet tone. Unless you're running it through the right effects I suppose. Not a perfect sound [with the stock p/ups], not a perfect score. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where it counts. This is why people buy this guitar. After the initial gruelling work of setting up the action and intonation, it has one of the best necks I've ever played. The super thin original Wizard neck feels so damn comfortable. Very easy to play, and access to the higher frets is a breeze thanks to the nice jumbo frets. Seeing as I got this guitar second hand I didn't expect it to be in mind condition. And it wasn't. Fortunately everything is purely cosmetic. A few dents and scratches. Nothing you can see unless your'e right up close. A couple screws are rusted too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Will it withstand live playing? Yes. Yes it will. Everything on this guitar seems very sturdy. I'm not worried about any surprises while playing live. But then again I wouldn't go without a backup. Not with any guitar. The only con here is that the finish seems a 'little' crackable. // 9

Overall Impression: I really do love this guitar. I bought it because it has all the features I want on a guitar. 24 frets, thin neck, H/S/H pickups and a Floyd Rose trem. If I lost it I'd be pissed caus I have no money. But seriously, I'd probably go for another or save up some more for a new 2006 pro series Jackson. RR3 or something. When I was looking to buy this I did a lot of research and this was the only thing that had all I wanted in my price range. And what a deal too! Best $352 I ever spent. The only thing I wish it had was a nicer colour. But I suppose there's nothing wrong with Sparkle Apple Green. // 9

RG570 Reviewed by: LAGZO, on june 08, 2005

Sound: This guitar suits my music style great, I play anything from soft punk to hardcore punk and from classic stuff to metal. I run this guitar through a DOD Death Metal pedal and a Kustom Quad 100 DFX, it sounds great. Rich sound on the humbuckers and bright sound with the single coil pickup. This guitar has a variety of sounds it can do blues and metal. I really like this guitar its great. I have no dislikes about this guitar I think its perfect. But the pickups could be better, the humbuckers I mean. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was great when I got it. Nothing wrong with it. Pickups were raised fine but I just lower them a bit to suit me I don't know, its my personal preference I guess. It came in great condition. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a band and we play punk music. This is a great match. I've been playing for 1 year almost 2 years. I own a Squier Mini Strat and a Stratocaster copy, Kustom Quad 100DFX, DOD Death Metal, Yamaha GA-10. If my guitar was stolen or lost I would definiately buy it again, but I'd track down who stole and use the guitar to beat their brains out! I love this guitar so much. I love the floyd style bridge it can do so many things. I compared this guitar to the lower models and they just didn't cut it, the other guitar's bridge wasnt so good neither were the pickups. I just wish this guitar had sharktooth inlays! Wow would that look awsome or what. // 10

RG570 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2007

Purchased from: a second hand shop

Features: This 1991 series (note that this is the RG570, not RG1570 or RG2570 or later) guitar was still made in Japan and is usually more highly rated among specialists than the more new Korean made Ibanez guitars. 24 Jumbo frets, with a light body and the awesomeness of Floyd Rose, this guitar looks ace. Though, it wasn't love from first sight (cherry sunburst didn't seem to go with the black pickups), I am now, one year later, deeply in love. One volue control, one tone, 5-way selector. Vintage V1 on the neck, S1 single coil in the middle and a V2 for the bridge, leaves room for evolving, but satisfies the usual player. // 9

Sound: When reading about Ibanez, it's mostly a guitar recommended for playing Metal. This one is good for that too, indeed. However, it hasn't stopped me with my wide range of playing so far, blues, punkrock, pop, jazzy stuff etc. It can even make a decent acoustic sound with my Korg Pandora PX4D. Sometimes the guitars sound seems to lack depht, but with upgrading to EMG pickups (just the neck should be enough) will most probably lose that concern. You can play mostly everything with this guitar, however I imagine that a second guitar (something more niche) would do the guitarist good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The thing I like about this guitar the most is the neck. I have held in my hand Fenders, Epis, ESPs, Vintage's, Yamahas, so far, I haven't found a neck more comfortable then this is. When I played this guitar for the first time, my hand literally slipped on the fretboard. Fast solos are a lot more natural and changing chords is absolutely easy. Plus, the neck shows no marks of ageing even when being 16 years old. And that goes for the whole guitar, it still feels like fresh off the factory line, with just the sound being nicely "played in". // 10

Reliability & Durability: For real stadium shows, I'd recommend changing the pickups, but as long as you fit to a > 5,000 audience, this guitar should do the job indeed. As mentioned, it looks like this guitar is good to last for ages. However I would recommend a backup too, not for the fear of anything happening to it, but just to get something different sound wise from it. And what's also durable is staying in tune. Awesome. When writing this, I haven't tuned it for 1, 5 months and it's perfectly in tune! // 10

Overall Impression: I imagine that this guitar will absolutely do for me until I will get me a Gibson Les Paul. And even then, I know I won't give it away, it will always be a Mistress for me. I bought this guitar without trying it, just believing another guitarists opinion, and I haven't had to be sorry for one second. Just think if a Floyd Rose is what you need, because I know that for my next purchase I will get one without, just to be able to use many different tunings without the trouble of FR. But for what this is, it's great! // 9

RG570 Reviewed by: Cachorro, on february 16, 2004

Purchased from: Ardemadrid, Ardemans 7

Features: Made in Japan, It has 24 frets and solid top. Volume and tone control, 5 way pickup selector, H-V7/S-1/H-V8 all from Ibanez, passive electronics. Neck wood is maple and the fretboard us made in rosewood. Black satin, Strat body and an Ibanez Pro Edge Floyd Rose type bridge. The tuners are Gotoh with locking and jumbo frets. // 10

Sound: I like punk, rock, heavy... a lot of styles, and this guitar satisfies me in all of them, maybe 'cause I hear it trough a Marshall... doesn't mind, it's a great guitar. The pickups are simply perfect, humbuckers are solid sounded and single coil is very bright. Well, I think I'll put a selector to have a single coil in the neck, but anyway, it's not a big problem. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have not touched the guitar 'cause it had been in the shop 2 months before I bought it, so it was pretty adjusted. I have no complainings about this Ibanez, you can change the pickup without any noyse or things like that. It was very strong made... // 10

Reliability & Durability: This model is very equilibrated when standing but a little heavy, anyway it's very comfortable to play with it, any pieces were loose or stuff like that. Two months ago it felt when jumping 'cause my strap was very old and has no marks or scretches, the paint is very solid, it hasn't any pick sctratch. // 10

Overall Impression: It's my 3rd guitar and I have it since a year ago, it works perfectly and it's what I was looking for, I thik that I will keep this guitar with me to the end of days, I'll buy other guitars but I'll still keep that Ibanez. If It was stolen I'd buy a new one, the neck is simply marvelous, and the fretboard is easy to use fast. I've been playing for 6 years and my experience and my fingers support this review, It's one of the best guitars in the world...and not as expensive as other guitars with poor quality. // 10

RG570 Reviewed by: davie_gravy, on january 05, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Sound: This fits my music style perfectly. I play metal. It stands up to the technical applications of death metal, while shining through the blazing riffs and solos of Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica. I'm running it though a DigiTech RP200 into a Peavey 2X12 Stereo Chorus SS amp. It has a very crisp rich sound to me in comparison to my Ibanez RG270DX, my Hamer Slammer CT, and my Fender Strat. This guitar pulls off pinch harmonics with ease, dive bombs with very stable Edge trem and any other trick of the trade. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Didn't buy it brand new, bought it new. Action was fine. Pickups were decent height. Everything was snug and fit. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take and beating and keep on ticking. Hardware is built to last. Strap buttons solid as a rock. I can totally depend on this guitar anytime I wanna come out balls to the walls. It's definitely my main rig. // 8

Overall Impression: Ibanez RG's are built for hard rock and metal. It's a perfect match if your into that style of stuff. Thin ass wizard neck and jumbo frets will allow you to shread like hell. I've been playing for 8 years solid. I own a Ibanez RG270DX, Hamer Slammer CT40, Fender Stratocaster, and a Takaminie acoustic. I would definitely buy this guitar if it was stolen or lost. I wish it had neck-thru construction and a mahogany body, but I'm sure it would cost alot more too. // 8

RG570 Reviewed by: Spectre13, on june 29, 2012

Purchased from: Various

Features: - What year was it made? Where was is made? I have several Made in Japan between 1988 and 2001. - How many frets? Neck/Scale 24 frets, Wizard profile 25.5 scale. - Solid-Top? Laminated top? Solid. - Body and neck woods? Basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. - Finish solid purple neon, silver, black, flamed maple amber. - Body style: Super-Strat. - Bridge style: Ibanez LoPro Edge and original Edge. - Active or Passive electronics? Passive. - Which controls are given 1 vol, 1 tone and a 5-way lever switch. - Pickup configuration? Make and model of pickups? H-S-H. I installed various DiMarzio combos in each. - Tuners: Gotoh - Any included accessories? Mine came with OHSC and wrenches. // 10

Sound: The stock pickups are decent, but I swapped them out for the DiMarzios. The stock YM-50 5-way selector is OK for what it is, but changing it out for a multi-pole 5-way yields many more wiring options. The basswood body is lightweight, but still enough for some great sustain and low end chunk. I've run t through my Carvin Legacy, B-52 AT100, Dime Blacktooth, Epi Valve Jr - and it also sounds Stellar straight into my mixing board. The DiMarzios are quiet. I can coax any type of sound I want from it: from rock and metal to smooth jazz. I run too many effects to list, and they're constantly changing on my board. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The available finishes were enough to satisfy pretty much everyone. The Desert Sun Yellow will go down in history as the favorite of most, though. Straight from the factory, these RG-570s were ready to rock. Minor adjustments are sometimes needed to make these really sing. As far as action, well - it's got the original Wizard neck. These necks are the best, fastest, and easiest to play necks that have ever been mass produced. They are thin and play like butter. The original Edge and LoPro Edge trems are the kings of the floating bridge lot. They are much better than an OFR, and when setup right - you'll be hard pressed to knock it out of tune. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The RG-570s came out in 1987, and many of the originals are still around--talk about durability! As wih anything else, longevity and durability go hand-in-hand with proper care and storage. I love the RG 500 series so much, that I've got several of them. // 10

Overall Impression: - What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? Hard Rock and metal - perfect match! - How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? 29 years and I own 36 Ibanez guitars and too much other gear to list. - Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? No. - If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Yes - and I already have several of this model. - What do you love about it? What do you hate? What is your favorite feature? Liked about it: The neck! The best necks EVER! I love the finish options. The stock pickups are decent. The Edge trem is second-to-none! I will never get tired of playing these. These can still be found used at a real bargain. Didn't like: The only negatives to say about these are the YM-50 5-way switch should have been upgraded to a multipole switch, and that Ibanez should have installed DiMarzios as stock pickups. + Did you compare it to other products? Which ones? Why did you choose this one? + Anything you wish it had? No. // 10

RG570 Reviewed by: Quiffmiester, on october 15, 2012

Purchased from: music123.com

Features: I've had my RG570 from new, purchased in 2001 over the internet (never normally a good idea!). It was Japanese made, 24 jumbo fretted beast with an astoundingly thin rosewood-covered wizard neck. The basswood body was painted a sort of metallic brown (called the "root beer" finish), and at the time of purchase the Super-Strat look was a breath of fresh air compared to all the numerous Strat copies my mates had. The stock pickups were Ibanez-made V7/S1/V8 pickups in a conventional HSH arrangement with a 5-way selector, volume and tone controls. The highlight at the time for me was the edge tremolo, and it didn't take long before I was divebombing all over the place. At the time of purchase, the dollar was pretty low against the pound (2:1 I think), so I ended up paying about 40-50% less than the RRP in the UK. I'm giving it full marks for features because, for the price, it contained some stonking kit on a well-made frame. // 10

Sound: I was just starting to get into rock/nu-metal at the time (Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Muse, Feeder), so played everything with as much distortion as I could get out of my amp. I've now diversified a little bit and even dabble in stuff without distortion, but I still mainly play stuff with heavy distortion (Dream Theater, Megadeth, Satch, Vai, etc). The sound I desired at the time of buying the RG was the deep, throaty, Ibanez growl it made when playing heavy riffs with the neck pickup. Even today, there is still something in its sound that I identify as being distinctly Ibanez, and I haven't managed to find it in any other guitar: in that regard, the RG was very well suited to my style. I have a Vox AD50VT valvestate amp, used with the distortion up as high as it'll go whilst keeping other effects out of the equation. Nice and simple. The bridge V7 humbucker provided a clear yet not-too-bright sound ideal for upper-mid-fretboard soloing, whilst the bridge V8 provided a phat, warm yet slightly muddy sound. The tone control seemed to just make everything lose clarity when distorted, so I tended to avoid using that. Turning the distortion off however really shows the guitar's versatility. The bridge pickup provides some nice warm yet well-articulated notes all over the fretboard, which do a pretty good job of emulating a hollowbody jazz guitar I owned for a bit. The next setting (coil tapped V8-S1) provided a thinner sound with a slight increase in brightness on the higher frets. The S1 singlecoil pickup was surprisingly un-twangy for a single coil, although whacking the distortion on made it buzz a bit too much for my liking. Flicking through to the second coil-tap setting (S1-V7) brightened the sound considerably, whilst the clean tone of the V7 was sharp and precise without being intrinsically twangy. With the tone pot thrown in, the guitar was far more versatile than I will ever be able to do justice to as a player. Having sung its praises, there were a couple of noticeable downsides. The first was that it didn't produce pinch harmonics very well; they were always lacking in bite a little, compared to the harmonics I was able to create with (for example) more expensive DiMarzio-equipped guitars. The second downside was that at high volumes (for gigs), the guitar/amp combo became very bass-heavy. This may not be entirely down to the guitar, but I think that Ibanez growl doesn't behave quite so well at high volumes. For these reasons, I'm giving it an 8 for sound, although this is on the basis of comparing it with much more expensive guitars. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I would never, ever, EVER recommend for anyone reading this to buy a guitar as I did with my RG - blind, over the internet. Fortunately, my younger self struck gold with this purchase, as the axe arrived after a trans-atlantic flight in a cardboard box perfectly setup. I then ruined it the first time I tried to replace the strings by putting 10s on it (doh!). Despite my initial ineptitude, when I did get the 9s back on it, the guitar tuned up properly. I am no expert at guitar setups, so I will provide this anecdote by means of a testimony for the factory setup - in over a decade of owning the guitar, all I have done is change the strings. When I took it to a luthier to get a chip repaired, they commented on how nice the neck was and how well it was set up. From a playing perspective, the wizard neck is outstanding. If you have never played one, go out and try a Jem. The current Wizard III necks (on most current RG and RG Prestige models) can't, IMO, hold a candle to the original, which is surprising considering that there's only a couple of mm thickness difference. I have nothing bad to say about the tremolo either - I've never had to do anything to it, and it has always stayed in tune through all the mess I've thrown at it. Again, the new Edge III that's on equivalent-priced Ibanez's today is not in the same league - my Edge III Ibanez trem on my XPT wore down its knife edge after two years. The only place I can see where they appear to have cut corners a little is with the volume and tone pots. They were fine initially, but went crackly pretty quickly which makes violining a no-no. Again though, for the price I paid this is a small sacrifice to make to be able to own a guitar with a wizard neck and original edge trem. I'm giving it a 9 because I don't feel like I should give it a 10 if it's not perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As mentioned before, in over a decade I've never had any problems with it that have required any work (besides someone dropping it and knocking a chunk out of the body). It has been gigged occasionally and had coped better than me with that! Not having any chrome finishing has meant it aged well; the matte finish on the trem and volume/tone pots is still matte, and nothing rusted or seized up over time. The fingerboard did have signs of wear, but nothing that was noticeable whilst playing. Overall, there was nothing more I could want from a guitar in terms of reliability and durability. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I miss this guitar a lot. It was my first guitar, and it turned out to be a real diamond. This review is my tribute to my first ever guitar, which was mercilessly stolen from my room this summer whilst I was working in France. RG570 - you will be forever missed. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014