RG7320Z Review

6.7
review (1) pictures (1) 27 comments vote for this gear:
RG7320Z Reviewed by: iheartgun, on august 12, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Trader

Features: Up for review today is my new 2011 Ibanez RG7320Z seven string guitar. The 7320Z boasts quality features for a mid range guitar such as the edge-pro 2 bridge, 24 jumbo frets, a 25.5 in scale, a basswood body and a 5 piece maple/walnut neck. The Wizard2 neck is wide and very thin, this allows the player to achieve lightning fast riffs and solo runs. Surprisingly for being so wide the playability is effortless on this guitar. The fretboard is a bound rosewood fretboard and each jumbo fret was nicely polished with no sharp edges anywhere on the fretboard. The guitar is a super Strat style guitar with Ibanez AH1-7 (neck) and AH2-7 (bridge) humbuckers. These pickups are aggressive and surprisingly tight sounding for stock pickups. Cleans really ring out on both pickups and while distorted the guitar maintains note clarity with each strum. The controls are a master tone and master volume as well as a 5 position blade selector Switch that splits the humbuckers in position 2 and 4. The Edge Zero2 Bridge is very stable and is very reliable it also has a very stable locking nut system at the headstock. You can do just about any whammy trick you would want and this guitar stays in tune. The only downside of this guitar that I can find is the stock tuners, even though they aren't used for anything besides initial setup tuning while changing strings a set of Sperzels or Grovers would have been nice. Moving back to the tremolo system the edge zero2 can be set to floating and it offers a tension adjustment screw on the backside of the guitar which I found to be quite helpfull in my setup. Unfortunately the guitar only comes in gloss black and only offers stock tuners. If there were more color options and a little more quality tuner set. The guitar would be a full ten out of ten. I say this because I think this guitar would look awesome in a natural finish. // 9

Sound: I can't say that I NEEDED a seven string for what I play as I only tune down a half step but the extended range does offer some new ground to cover. In saying this I have tried out mostly Schecter 7 strings and a few Dean guitars, and each of these that I have tried just left me unimpressed. For my music style it fits me well, my style is a mixture of Adam D., James Hetfield and Mark Tremmonti style playing. The RG7320 fits my style quite well the added range beefs up my chording and allows me to have the option to really expand my sound. I'm using this guitar with my Crate Blue Voodoo 120h and a Peavey 5150 cab and my pedal board. I must say I can get a decent Djent sound all the way to pristine cleans and searing metal a la nevermore. This guitar is noise free no scratchy pots and no noise from the selector bar. For the actual price of the guitar the craftsmanship is great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar straight from the shop was perfect. I must say I am NOT in any way a fan of Floyd Rose style bridges because of the setup pains. This Bridge system has removed those thoughts from my head. Even after getting it home, tuning it a half step down and basically setting it up for me the action has remained flawless. The pickups are directly mounted to the body and are just right where they are. They are clear articulate and very punchy which is supprising due to the fact that they are stock pickups. There are no factory flaws on this guitar everything for the Bridge has been routed out correctly and there are no body or neck defects. Like I have said the quality control on this guitar was outstanding. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can see this guitar as a staple of my live rig. Everything on this guitar looks and feels solid all the way down to the finnish, I expect it to last for years. If I had to I'd gig without a backup but as I have stated in my other reviews I like to have a backup as a feelgood issue for me. // 10

Overall Impression: I must say that normally don't write reviews on guitars because I believe that reviews on guitars are subjective to the owners personal tastes. The craftsmanship and quality of this guitar has compelled me to write a review and perhaps since I enjoy this guitar so much someone else might enjoy it as much as I do. I play music ranging from country to metal and beyond and I can say the Ibanez RG7320z can and will handle anything that is thrown at it. I may get some weird looks for playing a seven string for country but if the guitar sounds good then who cares. I own several other guitars and the Ibanez stands up with the best of them. If this guitar was stolen I would most definitely buy another or two especially for the price that they are selling at. I purchased mine for 125usd because I traded in two guitars that I didn't want anymore. The normal price sits right at 525usd and at that price they are truly a steal and are really worth a good look. Like I have said I have played other seven string guitars, mostly Schecter and I like this guitar due to the wide thin neck. The Schecter seven string guitars necks feel like holding the business end of a baseball bat. They are difficult for me to play, this guitar has everything I have wanted from a seven string and at a decent price. If you are in the market for a nice seven string that wont damage your wallet take a look at the Ibanez RG7320Z you will find a great guitar with pro features and quality craftsmanship for a very reasonable price. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014