RG7420 Review

6.2
reviews (3) 22 comments vote for this gear:
RG7420 Reviewed by: Mazzakazza, on september 04, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Made in 2001, in the Fujigen plant in Japan, this Ibanez RG comes with 24 frets over a 25.5" scale. Superstrat body style, basswood body wood, V7 and V8 stock Ibanez humbucking pickups, Lo-TRS (LFR) floating bridge, Very thin Wizard 7 neck (A rosewood fretboard on maple neck (Walnut striped), with jumbo frets, Gotoh tuning machines. One volume, and one tone control. // 7

Sound: Ibanez make great sounding 7 strings, and this is no exception. I play metal and jazz, and this handles both well. I was surprised to find that the stock pickups actually give quite a nice clean sound, but not shocked to find that they lack a bit of punchiness in higher gain situations. The pots crackle a bit and need replacing, but this is a 2nd hand guitar, so I can't hold Ibanez responsible for that. There is little unwanted noise in the form of a quiet constant hum, but it is negligible in a noisy gigging situation. Given the chance and money, I would replace the pickups, but for now will settle with pot and selector Switch replacements. My other Ibanez 7 is an RG1527 with EMG707s, and comparing the two, the RG7420 has a brighter sound, and has much less punch and crunch. The RG7420 also needs more gain, presence and a little more treble and bass to match the power of the RG1527. However, I am not disappointed, for the price I paid, the sound is more than satisfactory, and will be rectified later with investment in pickups and a new amplifier. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The seller of this guitar sent it to me with a pretty good set-up, I just had to bring the action down a little, and it was more or less perfect. I have blocked the lo-TRS bridge, as it is notoriously poor, created during a cost-cutting spree, and the use of poor quality metal is obvious - I could feel a definite weakness while using it. The neck is extremely comfortable, sleek and fast, with no volute, unlike the RG1527. This particular guitar's neck actually belongs to an RG7620, as an overproduction of necks in the factory for the RG7620 was resolved by attaching the spare necks to RG7420 bodies, close to the end of production for the RG7620. It really is lightning fast, sure proof of Ibanez' ability to create amazing 'shred' guitars - even when making 7 strings which some find uncomfortable for the width of the neck. It's only a little wider than a comparable 6-string RG's neck, and an absolute delight to play. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, this guitar is 8 years old, and has taken a beating from previous owners - yet the hardware (except the bridge, which is in poor condition and had to be blocked) is in quite good condition. The finish seems to come off relatively easily, however, and the strap buttons are ridiculously small, and need to be replaced with something more substantial. I do use this guitar to gig, but only usually as a backup guitar to my RG1527, as that guitar is in better condition - however, it has a floating bridge, so this guitar is the obvious answer when looking for a backup. Cheap and quite reliable. // 6

Overall Impression: For the price, this guitar is superb. They're out of production now, and although the RG7620s tend to be the better guitar of these two well-known OOP guitars, they've been gaining in price for a little while now. So if you don't need a trem and are willing to put in a little work to make a block, or pay some more for a Tremel-no, then you'll be better off with the RG7420. There is a HardTail version however, the RG7421, which might be preferable to the tremolo equipped model. The RG series has been one of my favourite series of guitars, alongside the Ibanez S, and the Jackson Dinky range for quite some time. For 7 strings, Ibanez holds all the cards - their current (UK available) production model 7s, the S7320, RG7321(/FM) and RG1527 are great guitars, and I can't wait to see where they go next. I would personally prefer a mahogany body RG, but I won't hold my breath too long. All in all, a very decent guitar, with an excellent neck, with no stand-out or surprising features, but a great deal of quality workmanship. I couldn't ask for more at the price these are available, and I recommend that if you ever get the chance - snap one up - especially one with a 7620 neck! You won't regret it. // 7

RG7420 Reviewed by: Quaned, on january 04, 2011

Price paid: A$ 500

Features: My RG7420 was made in 2000, in the Fuji-gen Ibanez factory in Japan, it features a 25.5' scale rosewood neck, with extra jumbo frets. Very, very nice neck. As being a Ibanez, it was a typical basswood body, but I haven't been able to test out the power of the (crappy) pickups, which brings me onto the next point, the pickups. The pickups which came stock are V87 and V77, 2 humbuckers, a 5-way Switch and a normal volume/tone pots. The tuners are Gotoh ones, which are very sturdy and solid. The guitar also features a Low-TRS trem. // 9

Sound: I think the pickups will do fine for the time being, but the low B string is very, very muddy. I'm running it through my Peavey Vypyr 75. There is no apparent hum with the pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was bought used, but the previous owner had set it up previously, so I can't really answer the set-up questions. The action is very low, again, having being used, the tremolo was quite rusted. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will definitely withstand live playing, as the hardware is very solid, all except for the tremolo. The strap buttons are very sturdy. I would probably use this without a backup. The finish is very thin, and I've noticed I've given it a couple of small chips already. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar would be a very, very good candidate for later modifications (I.e pickups, electronics, bridge) I've been playing for about 2 and a half years. For all my other gear, check out my profile. I wish I had looked around for a 7421 model, basically the same guitar with a fixed bridge, as this bridge is very, very shoddy. If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably look into buying a 7x21 model. My 'favourite' feature would probably be the neck, it has a sort of satin finish, making it very, very fast. I wish this guitar had come with somewhat better pickups, like its sibling the RG7620, which comes with 'Dimarzio New 7's'. Definitely check this guitar out. // 8

RG7420 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: 2000-2002 era Japanese guitar. 24 frets, 25.5" scale, Jumbo frets, Wizard 7 neck, maple and bubinga neck (sturdy as a tree trunk), American Basswood body, black chrome hardware, magenta crush finish, Standard RG style body, lo-pro trs bridge (not ALL that bad but I still installed a Tremel-No), 5-way selector, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, dual humbuckers, Gotoh tuners. Came stock with Ibanez V7-71 in the neck and V8-72 in the bridge. Swapped my bridge pup out for a DiMarzio Tone Zone 7. What else could you want? Neck through, better pups, better bridge, fancier features (piezos? I dunno). But for all that you'd pay a heck of a lot more. Mine was used so it came a bit scuffed and chipped, but for $160 bucks I have NO complaints. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of stuff, mostly heavier, from post-rock and shoegaze to melodic death metal, metallic hardcore, and some progressive death metal. You can beat a Wizard neck and body weight for fast and fluid playing. I run her through a Bugera 333XL head with a Crate BV412S cab, a DigiTech RP250 multi-fx (just for basic effects, none of the crappy amp models) and a Behringer Composer compressor, Behringer 15 band eq, and a BBE Sonic Maximizer 362 in the rack. Not a very noisy guitar, but I use 3 noise gates so I wouldn't really know. This guitar can play everything. I mean it. The coils split for use of the inner or the outer ones, giving you a Strat or tele sound in addition to what you'd expect from an RG. Stock pickups are weak, but bearable. As soon as I put in the DiMarzio in the bridge, I didn't want to put this guitar down ever again. The mud that was there when the low B (tuned to Ab) was played was GONE. The neck pickup will go soon too. The sound is typical of basswood: softened highs and lows, smooth and pronounced mid-range. Amazing sound to my ears! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was a joke, and the guitar is pretty dinged up. Nothing that affects playability though. I would imagine that she must have come to America in a much better condition. Took a few hours and fixed her up. Setting up a floating trem is no laughing matter, but with a little patience this trem can be setup properly and you'll rarely go out of tune. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Would gig with this anytime, and plan to in the near future. I've installed a Tremel-No so there's no tuning stability issues anymore. There seems to be nothing that wouldn't last on this guitar besides the black chrome finish on the hardware, unless you throw yours off a building in which case I might have to throw you after it. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought a Schecter Hellraiser C7, tried it for 2 days, and sold it to buy this one. Best decision of my life. I would buy this guitar again in a heartbeat, but I would really be heartbroken if something were to happen to her. This is the first guitar that I've actually spent time working on and modifying. There is nothing to hate about this guitar, only so much to love! The only other instrument I've grown this attached to is my trusty Ibanez SR-905 bass. I can understand that RGs aren't for everyone, and that old Gibson Les Paul you've got can spoil a lot of instruments for you, but if you're in the market for a quality, relatively cheap (used, they aren't in production anymore), beautiful 7 string guitar I would recommend you drop a few bills on this model, or any other Japanese RG. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014