RG7621 Review

6.4
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
RG7621 Reviewed by: SPBY, on february 02, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is a Japan made (Fujigen Factory) 7 string guitar, made in 1998. It is a solid basswood body and comes with the "superior" 1-piece maple, 24 jumbo fret neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The model I purchased has a solid black finish, but it also comes in white if I'm not mistaken. It's your standard super Strat body, with a nice arm contour and great upper fret access. It is a string-thru body with the standard (at the time) Ibanez fixed bridge, which allows for great adjustment and low action and comes with the Blaze 7 pickups and Gotoh tuners. I'd rate it a 10, but if you like trems you might give it a 9. // 10

Sound: Since this comes with Dimarzios other than the usual IBZ pickups it's very versatile, great cleans with good distortion and harmonics. I use it through an old Roland amp right now with an EQ and a Boss Distortion pedal in front. Great sound, dimarzios are my favorite brand of pickups so it works great for me. The double blaze combo, wouldn't be my first 7 string pickup choice, but it works great so I give it a 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar hasn't been made in about 12 years so I can't say anything about the factory set-up, but I got the action real low with no buzz and great tension, thanks to the very adjustable bridge. I see no flaws in the guitar anywhere (other than a decade of grime from the previous user, luckily I know how to clean it up nice) and everything is perfect, as you'd expect from a Japan made Ibanez. I love the neck contour on it, it's not as flat as some of the other Japan made Ibanez's out there and has a great flat fretboard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Sorry that I can't really comment on the stock hardware since the previous owner swapped everything out with white hardware, which I'll probably replace with black hardware eventually. Strap buttons seem solid and it seems to be a heavier denser type of basswood as it is about as heavy as my other mahogany bodied guitars. Seems like it would stand up to a little abuse, but with all basswood, I wouldn't try it. It is definitely gig worthy however. // 8

Overall Impression: I play pretty much exclusively metal and jazz and have played most Ibanez's out there, including JEMs and Universes and it plays just as well as any of them, it is by far my favorite guitar (including ones I've only played). If it were stolen or lost I'd be pretty pissed since these are hard to come by (for good reason). I really don't dislike anything about it, it is the ideal guitar for me. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014